Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    cutz said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:

The US State Department has sent one of its top politicians to Sweden to discuss the arrested rap partner ASAP Rocky with the Swedish government.

Jan Hallenberg, at the Foreign Policy Institute, calls it extremely unusual.

- The superpower always assumes that their system is superior and that everyone else should fall in line.

ah so you are ok with your government holding a black man in jail for 3 weeks with no charges. good to know
    Why are you focusing on him being black?

You are undermining your own argument with that sleeze.
    One can only assume race is a factor based on the rampant racism uptick in Sweden.
    Racism in Sweden? No way that could ever happen. (sarcasm )
    The projecting of yours is cute.

Not every police force or justice system is as rotten as the US'.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Canada
    Expressen can reveal that it is deeply unpleasant for the Foreign Ministry and the government, and that there is already a ready-made strategy for managing Donald Trump's pressure on Sweden.

In short, the plan is not to deal with Trump's acting out.
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Please there’s hundreds of children being held in cages at the border for months on end , I’m not talking adults just the kids what crimes have they’ve committed ?
    There is an entire immigration thread to discuss that.  To answer your question, they have not...they are victims of irresponsible parents and government.
    Really I must of missed that threat , people are being held just the same the lol people get killed here just for being black the US should not be holding its nose up to the world as a Becon of justice that’s all ..
    Jose - there's a big difference between what is acceptable vs. unacceptable.  I think that's the point that's being made.  According to SC, this is appropriate under Swedish law.  Some of us think that's outrageous.  What you're pointing to are people that are doing things outside what is acceptable under the law.  
    So why should you be taken into custody when charged? You have not been proven guilty yet?

Innocent until proven guilty?

SOVIET UNION 1950!

It's called probable cause, again a tenant of common law.  Then a magistrate or judge sets bail or bond, something within state guidelines typically.  

Sweden[edit]

In the criminal code of some European countries, notably Sweden, probable cause is a higher level of suspicion than "justifiable grounds" in a two level system of formal suspicion. The latter refers only to the suspect being able to and sometimes having a motive to commit the crime and in some cases witness accounts, whereas probable cause generally requires a higher degree of physical evidence and allows for longer periods of detention before trial.

So, what is the big difference other than semantics? 

In Sweden a court finds that there is probable cause and that the person which has probable cause is suspected to harm the investigation against him/her or flee from being interrogated/trial etc - he can be put in detention. Otherwise they are set free, and the investigation might show they are innocent or a trial will be set.

1. What happens if a person is suspected of harming the investigation in the US? Or are at risk of fleeing?

2. What happens if a person is suspected of assault, and a bail/bond is set but he is slaving at 2-3 jobs for 8 dollars per hour, with no right to vacation and a wife who's expecting but won't have any right to maternity leave --  and cannot afford the bail/bond? ASAP could afford his bail obviously, but what happens with the ones who can't afford it?

Judges don't determine probable cause at the time of arrest, unless we're talking about the issuance of a warrant.   The officer has cause and makes the arrest.  A person is booked.  They then go in front of a judge or magistrate who sets the bail based on 1. the crime 2. access to funds 3. likelihood of fleeing 4. likelihood of committing another crime.  If you don't have the money, then you go to a bail bondsmen who will provide funds for collateral (car, mortgage note, etc.).  
    What if he's homeless or have not one dime, then the bail is $0?

And :

1. What happens if a person is suspected of harming the investigation in the US? Or are at risk of fleeing?
    Noting if they aren’t charged with a crime. Being held while they decide whether or not to charge you is a few day thing at most in the US. Not a few week thing.

And "charge" is the same as "indict" / go to trial?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mcgruff10 said:
    I doubt spiritual can handle this comment without comparing to the US but it is pretty freaking scary that you can just sit in jail in Sweden for weeks on end without being charged with a crime.  That is insane. 
    I'm starting to feel this is a semantics error... and about what people charge (pun intended) a "word" with.

He is on probably cause häktad (häktad - not the same as merely arrested) by a court on the crime of Assault after evidence has been laid forth and because there is a risk he will flee the country.

What do you think should happen with people who are by a court decision on probable cause a suspect of a crime and there is a risk that they will destroy evidence and harm the investigation?
  • Options
    Canada
    I have a nice story 
    Me and my tour buddy went to albany ny
    To see pearl jam. We hired a car at jfk and drove. Got lost in the bronx when leaving queens . Got scared and just drove.
    Any way i digress.
    We parked up in albany on a parking meter and went for food. 
    On our return a note was on our car.
    "Hi my english friends, i paid the correct amout for your parking as you hadn't  paid enough, hope you enjoy your stay"
    A kind soul had noticed we were  english and clueless.
    Stuck with me. Good folk
    <3 

BTW - In the US is it a big thing to pay for the coffee/coffee for the person behind you in the line/Cue? Read somewhere that is was a thing...
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    U.S.A.

<3 

BTW - In the US is it a big thing to pay for the coffee/coffee for the person behind you in the line/Cue? Read somewhere that is was a thing...
    I’m not familiar with that, but, I heard about Suspended Coffees a few years ago.  I’ve asked around Manhattan many times, have yet to find a place that does it.

A suspended coffee is the advance purchase of a cup of coffee for someone who needs it, no matter why.
    https://suspendedcoffees.com/

Suspended coffee, or caffe sospeso, is a tradition that comes from Naples, Italy, and dates to at least the turn of the 20th century. When customers buy coffee, they also pay in advance for a cup to be given to somebody else -- usually someone who otherwise couldn't afford it. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    Can't wait for The View's take on ASAP.

I'm guessing the "we have experienced racism here with the police and justice system so we must take for granted it is the same in other parts of the - more developed - world" will be strong with Whoppie, Meghan will say something about the Navy Seals rescuing ASAP from whatever commie-country he is stuck in and Joy will say something snarky but funny.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Can't wait for The View's take on ASAP.

I'm guessing the "we have experienced racism here with the police and justice system so we must take for granted it is the same in other parts of the - more developed - world" will be strong with Whoppie, Meghan will say something about the Navy Seals rescuing ASAP from whatever commie-country he is stuck in and Joy will say something snarky but funny.
    You’re killing me here...
    Can’t we suspend the talk about ASAP Rocky for a ‘minute’- I believe we’ve reached overkill status. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    U.S.A.
    This is a dumb thread.
    Please close.
    I would flag, but I'm not such a wuss that flagging would be an option.
    It’s not a thread that needs closed.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Canada
    This is a dumb thread.
    Please close.
    I wouldn't go as far as say that the US needs to be "closed". But some big changes should be made if you look at the rest of the world, yes.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    I have a nice story 
    To see pearl jam. We hired a car at jfk and drove. Got lost in the bronx when leaving queens . Got scared and just drove.
    Any way i digress.
    "Hi my english friends, i paid the correct amout for your parking as you hadn't  paid enough, hope you enjoy your stay"
    Stuck with me. Good folk
    <3 

It’s a thing in local craft breweries to pay for an extra beer and write on a wall who it for. Either a specific person or just someone that fits a category like “firefighter”, “alumni of certain university”, “single mom/dad”, etc. The boards are usually always full.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    I have a nice story 
    Any way i digress.
    Stuck with me. Good folk
    <3 

It’s a thing in local craft breweries to pay for an extra beer and write on a wall who it for. Either a specific person or just someone that fits a category like “firefighter”, “alumni of certain university”, “single mom/dad”, etc. The boards are usually always full.
    Ah, ok. Cool. 

Read somewhere about people paying the food or take away coffee for people behind them in the drive through... or something like that. But might have been an isolated thing maybe.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    I have a nice story 
    Any way i digress.
    Stuck with me. Good folk
    <3 

Ah, ok. Cool. 

Read somewhere about people paying the food or take away coffee for people behind them in the drive through... or something like that. But might have been an isolated thing maybe.
    It happens. It’s not like an everyday thing. But it happens in coffee shops and grocery stores. And maybe it’s just my perception but it seems to happen more so around the holidays (specifically Christmas, etc in December)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    I have a nice story 
    Any way i digress.
    Stuck with me. Good folk
    <3 

Ah, ok. Cool. 

It happens. It’s not like an everyday thing. But it happens in coffee shops and grocery stores. And maybe it’s just my perception but it seems to happen more so around the holidays (specifically Christmas, etc in December)
    You are probably correct about the Holidays. There’s a huge surge in volunteers from Thanksgiving through New Year’s. Sadly, it doesn’t continue throughout the year and it’s just as needed. 

@Spiritual_Chaos   Did you see the Suspended Coffees link? 
    Post edited by Renfield on
  • Options
    Canada
    Renfield said:
    I have a nice story 
    Any way i digress.
    Stuck with me. Good folk
    <3 

Ah, ok. Cool. 

You are probably correct about the Holidays. There’s a huge surge in volunteers from Thanksgiving through New Year’s. Sadly, it doesn’t continue throughout the year and it’s just as needed. 

Sorry, missed your post. Hit the link NOW
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Renfield said:

Sorry, missed your post. Hit the link NOW
    :) I love the concept. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    I have a nice story 
    Any way i digress.
    Stuck with me. Good folk
    <3 

Ah, ok. Cool. 

Yes.  I have paid for people's coffee behind me in a drive thru and I have also had people do the same for me...it's called pay it forward.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada

That's nice, wanting to put up the money for bail or "an alternative" in a country that doesn't have a bail system. <3
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    U.S.A.
    I have a nice story 
    Any way i digress.
    Stuck with me. Good folk
    <3 

Ah, ok. Cool. 

Yes.  I have paid for people's coffee behind me in a drive thru and I have also had people do the same for me...it's called pay it forward.
    Strangely, here in the mid Atlantic, this happens at toll booths quite a bit.  
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    I have a nice story 
    Any way i digress.
    Stuck with me. Good folk
    <3 

Ah, ok. Cool. 

Strangely, here in the mid Atlantic, this happens at toll booths quite a bit.  
    Toll booths...that's nice.

Paid parking pay it forward is big here.  I always give someone my parking ticket if I have time left on it...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Canada
    I always top up an expiring meter so the person does not get a parking ticket...I always do my part to keep the government from cashing in on parking.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,952
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    I always top up an expiring meter so the person does not get a parking ticket...I always do my part to keep the government from cashing in on parking.
    I love this.  This would never happen here really. And the bar with beers for others.  Fuckin awesome. Tip of the cap from me
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Canada
    I love this.  This would never happen here really. And the bar with beers for others.  Fuckin awesome. Tip of the cap from me
    Do people let you go past them in the line at the supermarket if you're carrying few groceries in London?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    This is a dumb thread.
    Please close.
    I wouldn't go as far as say that the US needs to be "closed". But some big changes should be made if you look at the rest of the world, yes.
    I agree with you about many of the things here in the U.S. that need changing.  This country has many problems.  But constantly berating the U.S. would be a bit like constantly telling a person that they are a total piece of shit and then expecting them to respond to that in a positive way.  Maybe scale back on the constant barrage of criticism or, better yet, come up with some constructive ideas AND acknowledge that there are actually some very positive things that happen here in the U.S.  Thanks.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Canada
    brianlux said:
    This is a dumb thread.
    Please close.
    I agree with you about many of the things here in the U.S. that need changing.  This country has many problems.  But constantly berating the U.S. would be a bit like constantly telling a person that they are a total piece of shit and then expecting them to respond to that in a positive way.  Maybe scale back on the constant barrage of criticism or, better yet, come up with some constructive ideas AND acknowledge that there are actually some very positive things that happen here in the U.S.  Thanks.
    Well said brian.  I would like to add that there is no perfect society and no perfect system.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,952
    Do people let you go past them in the line at the supermarket if you're carrying few groceries in London?
    It could happen  but most people dont ask to.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    brianlux said:
    This is a dumb thread.
    Please close.
    Well said brian.  I would like to add that there is no perfect society and no perfect system.  
    Certainly not in what is known as a "country" (a large area of land circumscribed by a line drawn on a map that most frequently does not take into account geographic characteristics such as bioregions).  But there have been (and maybe very remotely still are) tribal systems that have worked very well.  I would venture to say a tribal system is the only system that has ever worked well for groups of humans.  And probably most of the human race before the advent of agriculture.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    U.S.A.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    This is a dumb thread.
    Please close.
    Certainly not in what is known as a "country" (a large area of land circumscribed by a line drawn on a map that most frequently does not take into account geographic characteristics such as bioregions).  But there have been (and maybe very remotely still are) tribal systems that have worked very well.  I would venture to say a tribal system is the only system that has ever worked well for groups of humans.  And probably most of the human race before the advent of agriculture.
    Do you think that has something to do with the relatively uniform nature of the culture and size of the population,  compared to something like the States?
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    It could happen  but most people dont ask to.
    Where I live, it's borderline rude not to let someone with a few things not to go ahead of you, if you have a lot.  Exception of course is if there's an 'express' line, as everyone should be carrying a few there.  Also super annoying when someone has a check book. 
This discussion has been closed.