The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    But Sam Snead isn't even in the conversation, so what does breaking some record of his from the 40s and 50s matter?

Not that they will sit and watch, but every word that will be written will have Jack and Tiger as 1 and 2, one way or the other. I think the 25% number is much more powerful and at this point I just don't see what winning some random dumb tournament matters anymore.  The Masters cemented him to me as the best golfer ever, winning the John Deere is completely irrelevant.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    But Sam Snead isn't even in the conversation, so what does breaking some record of his from the 40s and 50s matter?

Not that they will sit and watch, but every word that will be written will have Jack and Tiger as 1 and 2, one way or the other. I think the 25% number is much more powerful and at this point I just don't see what winning some random dumb tournament matters anymore.  The Masters cemented him to me as the best golfer ever, winning the John Deere is completely irrelevant.
    It's just a numbers game. Everyone knows Tiger is a better golfer than Sam Sneed. But if you think Tiger doesn't care, even a little bit, about finishing second to him you're crazy. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited July 2019
    Why?
    I know Sneed’s name because he has the most wins.  Once tiger breaks that bye bye Sneed in 30 years.

if the GOAT debate is based on majors, then so be it.  But if not, you need to put a list of criteria together.  All time wins leader is a damn good stat to have in your column.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832

I agree with most of what you're saying. His cuts made streak and win percentage will never be touched. But I don't look at it as breaking Snead's record as a comparison to him vs Snead. It's about Tiger being on top of one win category and Jack another. At the end of the day, nobody is going to say, but it was the John Deere. It will just be known as a PGA win. (Side note- him winning the John Deere now would be a lot more impressive than most tournaments he won when he was younger.)

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    eddiec said:

I agree with most of what you're saying. His cuts made streak and win percentage will never be touched. But I don't look at it as breaking Snead's record as a comparison to him vs Snead. It's about Tiger being on top of one win category and Jack another. At the end of the day, nobody is going to say, but it was the John Deere. It will just be known as a PGA win. (Side note- him winning the John Deere now would be a lot more impressive than most tournaments he won when he was younger.)

Another record of his that will never be touched his time spent atop the world golf rankings. Two separate five year reigns? Incredible.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Tiger_Woods#Reign_as_World_No._1_Male_Golfer
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Shot my lowest round ever today. 77
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    eddiec said:

That’s fair and I’ll lean in on that a little. Any record is a good record. I just don’t think another (it’s one to tie, right?) regular win changes a damn thing. Majors are the only thing that matters at this point in my mind 
    It isn't easy to win any tournament let alone 81 of them.  Ask Jordan Spieth how easy it is to win right now?  Justin Thomas?   A great year for most players is two victories.  Three is player of the year stuff.  WGC's have better fields than majors and Tiger has cleaned up on those.  18 vs. 15 majors isn't a runaway in my opinion and isn't a big enough difference to proclaim one better than the other unless they played in the same era. 
    edited July 2019
    JojoRice said:

That is awesome!   You can't have many hiccups to get that score.

I'm getting hopeful to break that 80 barrier sometime this year.  Got my handicap down to 11.6 today with an 85.   The short game is there.  Right now the 20 - 80 yard pitch shots are killing me.  Just need to go to a course when it isn't busy and bounce around and just hit those shots (a lot more fun than a range). Although you gotta fix all the ball marks.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    Ugh, so I guess we're gonna get a lot of JB tomorrow, and hopefully just tomorrow...
    JojoRice said:

I'm getting hopeful to break that 80 barrier sometime this year.  Got my handicap down to 11.6 today with an 85.   The short game is there.  Right now the 20 - 80 yard pitch shots are killing me.  Just need to go to a course when it isn't busy and bounce around and just hit those shots (a lot more fun than a range). Although you gotta fix all the ball marks.

Thanks! I had a couple birdies that helped and a couple long par putts too that I got. 

Keep up the good work! Im at a 10.2 handicap myself. Trying to get in single digits and stay there. Short game has killed me lately. 

JojoRice said:
    JojoRice said:

Thanks! I had a couple birdies that helped and a couple long par putts too that I got. 

Keep up the good work! Im at a 10.2 handicap myself. Trying to get in single digits and stay there. Short game has killed me lately. 
    Those long par putts are huge.  Now what did you get on 18?  Must have been feeling the pressure.
    JojoRice said:
    JojoRice said:

Those long par putts are huge.  Now what did you get on 18?  Must have been feeling the pressure.
    Actually bogeyed 18. Had no idea what my score was at the time but I knew I had a good round going. Headed back out today. Will probably shoot a 95 🤪

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Ugh, so I guess we're gonna get a lot of JB tomorrow, and hopefully just tomorrow...

Brutal.  Probably my least favorite player on tour.  Get ready for a 5-6 hour round with him in the last group.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Didn't check through these last few pages but did anyone get picked for the Masters tix?
    Didn't check through these last few pages but did anyone get picked for the Masters tix?
    I didn't. Currently 0 for 12 in the lottery. 

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    JojoRice said:
    I didn't. Currently 0 for 12 in the lottery. 
    First time doing it and nadda too.
    JojoRice said:
    JojoRice said:
    JojoRice said:

Actually bogeyed 18. Had no idea what my score was at the time but I knew I had a good round going. Headed back out today. Will probably shoot a 95 🤪
    Congrats! I can't play like that though. I need to know my score. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,700
    Rory is gonna make the cut. Just wow
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    No sir. Keep trying next year. 
    JojoRice said:
    JojoRice said:

I’ve had a few rounds over the years where I needed par or bogey to break 80. Definitely gets the nerves up. It’s crazy when you think about the pressure your pros are faced with. But they’re used to it. 
    ^*tour pros 
    This course is fucking sweet.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    This leaderboard is getting VERY interesting. I've got a 7:40 ET tee time tomorrow morning. Should be done by 11 and then I'm going to be a total couch potato all afternoon. 
    Rooting for Westwood.  
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Rooting for Westwood.  
    It'd be an amazing story for him to finally get his major. He's showing off in front of his woman.
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Rooting for Westwood.  
    Yeah..like to see the guy finally break through here
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

I absolutely guaranteed that Spieth and Kuchar would have said they would have played the shot from the bush and taken the free drop.  Way to have integrity Westwood!
    bflynn1 said:
    This leaderboard is getting VERY interesting. I've got a 7:40 ET tee time tomorrow morning. Should be done by 11 and then I'm going to be a total couch potato all afternoon. 
    They moved starting time up two hours tomorrow

Rain and 35 mph wind. Really hope someone makes a run at Lowry
    chinese-happy.jpg
    bflynn1 said:
    They moved starting time up two hours tomorrow

Rain and 35 mph wind. Really hope someone makes a run at Lowry
    Tomorrow is gonna be brutal? Lowry would be a super fucking cool win but I want to see a dog fight.

buddy who won $6k on woodland has Fleetwood for another $6k. Let’s fucking go