Hey Ladies

Why do you suppose there aren't more threads created by women here? What's holding us back?

I'll admit I get intimidated by this part right here, the introductory post. Will this post create a spark or will this be a dud?

I'm hoping we can reach out to each other with ideas in this thread and offer/receive encouragement. And men are always welcome to chime in as well! 

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Get funky (insert cowbell)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited July 2019
    I am all for ladies starting more threads - we need discussions here that are not about the moron US president, dissatisfaction w/merch this or that, people upset that the band is not making new music/touring.....or  just certain people who open threads every 5 minutes about inane stuff.

You are the better (in so many ways) gender - share with us!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Definitely intimidating. Also, just started getting involved, so I’m very hesitant even posting comments (been reading since 2013).  

Let’s unite and let the sparks fly...
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I think that part of it may be that there are women starting threads but some people don't realize that certain folks ARE women.  https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/243138/ratio-of-males-to-females-on-the-pj-forum/p1
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:
    I think that part of it may be that there are women starting threads but some people don't realize that certain folks ARE women.  https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/243138/ratio-of-males-to-females-on-the-pj-forum/p1
    Ah! That was my next question- does anyone know the ratio? The FB Official PJ Ten Club Members had a breakdown of the numbers... going to see if I can find it as I’m guessing the Forum stats would be similar. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited July 2019
    I am all for ladies starting more threads - we need discussions here that are not about the moron US president, dissatisfaction w/merch this or that, people upset that the band is not making new music/touring.....or  just certain people who open threads every 5 minutes about inane stuff.

You are the better (in so many ways) gender - share with us!
    Didn't I start a cheese vs. ice cream thread?  :lol:  

Cheese!!! 
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/279769/you-may-only-have-one-cheese-or-ice-cream/p1
    Renfield said:
    deadendp said:
    Ah! That was my next question- does anyone know the ratio? The FB Official PJ Ten Club Members had a breakdown of the numbers... going to see if I can find it as I’m guessing the Forum stats would be similar. 
    That would be very interesting to know! 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Cheese.
    And.....29% Beauty, 71% Bonehead would be my ratio guess.  ;)
    May 29Official Pearl Ja
    Cos u asked 
    Stats of the page. 
    Countries, cities, gender, most popular posts, most active members, active days, numbers of post etc.. 
    Thanks for your support. Much love
    edited July 2019
    Tried to send link to the FB page for above, but then it opened my page
    Post edited by Renfield on
    I was not too far off.  35% beauty.
    What I am most interested in are the .2% who identified as Custom.  :lol:   
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited July 2019
    Get funky (insert cowbell)
    :wink:

This discussion is exactly what I was hoping for, thank you all so much. :heart:

And thank you for finding and posting the FB stats, Renfield! 

Can't wait to start another thread after I get home from work this evening...  

Edit: Sorry to deadendp for not mentioning that she first brought up the idea of male/female ratio, that was a rookie mistake on my part. Thank you,deadendp!
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2019
    I think maybe the number of posts started by women about matches the ratio of women vs men in general here? This place is a complete sausage party!
    There is also the possibility that women in general are more "thoughtful" or "careful" about what requires a whole thread?? Maybe, but I guess it's impossible to know for sure.
    But FWIW, I have started a fair number of threads here over the years, so hopefully I'm padding the stats at least a little bit. ;)

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Me too!! But it may not be a gender pronoun scenario, may just be someone would rather not identify at all.
    Renfield said:
    Me too!! But it may not be a gender pronoun scenario, may just be someone would rather not identify at all.
    Yeah, could be.  I was kind of hoping we had a new category....
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think maybe the number of posts started by women about matches the ratio of women vs men in general here? This place is a complete sausage party!
    There is also the possibility that women in general are more "thoughtful" or "careful" about what requires a whole thread?? Maybe, but I guess it's impossible to know for sure.
    But FWIW, I have started a fair number of threads here over the years, so hopefully I'm padding the stats at least a little bit. ;)

PJ_Soul has started 203 discussions! We have some serious work to do ladies. PJ_Soul has been doing the heavy lifting.  
    Renfield said:
    Yeah, could be.  I was kind of hoping we had a new category....
    Holy shit! I hope Tom Servo is posting here.:joy:

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited July 2019
    This is interesting timing because on the Hoffman music forums one of the women there was asking why there are so few women there (and I really don't know why that is but it is a low percentage).  While reading that, it occurred to me that that's a bummer because the percentage of women here on the Pearl Jam forums sure seems a fair amount higher.  And yet, you are right OffSheGoes, it seems like us guys start more of the threads.  I'm all for hearing more from the ladies, so maybe this will get things stirring a bit. 

On a slightly related subject, I met a guy a few years back who was a counselor and seemed pretty bright and he told me he believes western society is moving towards being matriarchal.  I figure, that can't be worse than what we've had up until now (although the cynical side of me say it's all humans either way and humans keep screwing things up.  But I'm willing to see how it plays out.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    I actually thought about opening a thread for the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission but then I thought I’d rather wait until someone else does it :wink: don’t know what was holding me back, I’m not all that shy. But I wouldn’t have known what to actually write to start a conversation about it. Reacting to what other people are writing is definitely easier
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    I've got more hits than Sadaharu Oh
    not sure if you were trying to quote the beastie boys, but that was the wrong song and wrong lyrics

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    not sure if you were trying to quote the beastie boys, but that was the wrong song and wrong lyrics

Unless there's more than one Beastie Boys song called "Hey Ladies", then no... I'm pretty sure I got it right.

Unless there's more than one Beastie Boys song called "Hey Ladies", then no... I'm pretty sure I got it right.

ooops you're right i was thinking of the song "Sure Shot" and when they say and I've got mad hits like Rod Carew :lol:
    Thought you got the lyrics mixed up.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Honestly, gender plays no part in whether or not I start threads.  There's no one here who intimidates me =)

(and I too rolled my eyes at "custom"...what does that even mean?)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    hedonist said:
    Honestly, gender plays no part in whether or not I start threads.  There's no one here who intimidates me =)

@wobbie doesn't intimidate you? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Renfield said:
    Cos u asked 
    Stats of the page. 
    Countries, cities, gender, most popular posts, most active members, active days, numbers of post etc.. 
    Thanks for your support. Much love
    Thought it would be closer to 50/50 than that. I guess it's not that bad. Close to the 60/40 golden value.

Gender equality has quantitative as well as qualitative aspects The quantitative aspect implies an equal distribution of women and men in all areas of society, such as education, work, recreation and positions of power. If a group comprises more than 60 percent women, it is womendominated. If men make up more than 60 percent of a group, it is men-dominated. Qualitative gender equality implies that the knowledge, experiences and values of both women and men are given equal weight and are used to enrich and direct all areas of society.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Jason P said:

An appropriate response to anything Beastie Boys!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:

@wobbie doesn't intimidate you? 
    I love the guy, but hell no.

He inspires me in ways, though :how_interesting: