Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I came home the other day and spotted like 5 big fat fucking RATS hanging out and casually walking around right there on the path that runs alongside my apartment building. The I saw one run right into the building through a crazy person's patio door. This crazy person has been putting out big piles of feed for the past few weeks. They are trying to feed the squirrels I assume, but have also managed to create a huge rat colony on the property as well. I called the management company to let them know, and they told me they knew who was doing this, and that she's already been handed her eviction notice (for more reasons than feeding wildlife), and she has to move out tomorrow. So thank goodness for that. But it seems like too little too late, since I doubt the rats are going to just pick up and leave so quickly. Management wasn't aware of the rat problem yet - I told them to be prepared for extermination measures.
    You need to move. 
    No way, my place is awesome, and in the perfect location, and I have lived there for nearly 20 years and it is therefore rent controlled in the most expensive city in the country with a rental vacancy rate of about 0.5%. They will have to drag me out of there kicking and screaming because they are tearing the building down for me to move. :lol: Saying "you need to move" to someone in Vancouver is like telling someone they need to cut off their own feet, haha.
    It's just one total crazy idiot who has now been evicted. Everyone else in just fine. The management will deal with any rodent problems immediately.
    Fuck it, the rats will just carry you away.

You'll be known as the crazy rat (not cat) lady!
    Well if rats take over the building I will absolutely become the cat lady - I'll need them to kill the rats! ... And then I'll swallow a fly, and perhaps I'll die?? (I hope you know that song!)
    Ran across this dude the other day as I was swinging a gate open.  He would totally help with the rat situation if you want to come down and pick him up...Not the cuddliest of solutions I know...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I came home the other day and spotted like 5 big fat fucking RATS hanging out and casually walking around right there on the path that runs alongside my apartment building. The I saw one run right into the building through a crazy person's patio door. This crazy person has been putting out big piles of feed for the past few weeks. They are trying to feed the squirrels I assume, but have also managed to create a huge rat colony on the property as well. I called the management company to let them know, and they told me they knew who was doing this, and that she's already been handed her eviction notice (for more reasons than feeding wildlife), and she has to move out tomorrow. So thank goodness for that. But it seems like too little too late, since I doubt the rats are going to just pick up and leave so quickly. Management wasn't aware of the rat problem yet - I told them to be prepared for extermination measures.
    You need to move. 
    No way, my place is awesome, and in the perfect location, and I have lived there for nearly 20 years and it is therefore rent controlled in the most expensive city in the country with a rental vacancy rate of about 0.5%. They will have to drag me out of there kicking and screaming because they are tearing the building down for me to move. :lol: Saying "you need to move" to someone in Vancouver is like telling someone they need to cut off their own feet, haha.
    It's just one total crazy idiot who has now been evicted. Everyone else in just fine. The management will deal with any rodent problems immediately.
    Fuck it, the rats will just carry you away.

You'll be known as the crazy rat (not cat) lady!
    Well if rats take over the building I will absolutely become the cat lady - I'll need them to kill the rats! ... And then I'll swallow a fly, and perhaps I'll die?? (I hope you know that song!)
    Ran across this dude the other day as I was swinging a gate open.  He would totally help with the rat situation if you want to come down and pick him up...Not the cuddliest of solutions I know...
    Holy shit!! Had one of those next to me on a trail in Arizona a few years ago.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    PJ_Soul said:

Not really a fan of these shitbirds, but the goslings are adorable.  And man, do they grow fast.  The picture below is from last week.

Lol! I'm with you - Canada geese are the WORST. I really can't stand them. But yeah, babies are always cute. I can't think of any baby in the whole animal kingdom that isn't adorable.

uh.....HELLO!?!?

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited July 2019
    Oh my goodness, so cute!! This is the view from my balcony. Four babies!! .... But I don't see mom anywhere at all. And now two territorial crows have come along and are screaming at them. I hope mom is somewhere close! The babies seem to be trying to get back to their nest or whatever in a big tree, but some seem a little lost, not sure which route to take. Is it normal for baby raccoons to be climbing around alone?

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh my goodness, so cute!! This is the view from my balcony. Four babies!! .... But I don't see mom anywhere at all. And now two territorial crows have come along and are screaming at them. I hope mom is somewhere close! The babies seem to be trying to get back to their nest or whatever in a big tree, but some seem a little lost, not sure which route to take. Is it normal for baby raccoons to be climbing around alone?

They are cute!  :smiley:

But when they get big, they can be a bit aggressive.  I went out to chase a few away from the trash can once years ago and one big one turned on me as if to say, "Whatcha gonna do about it, punk!"  Scary!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh my goodness!  So adorable.  Hope mom found them.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

But when they get big, they can be a bit aggressive.  I went out to chase a few away from the trash can once years ago and one big one turned on me as if to say, "Whatcha gonna do about it, punk!"  Scary!
    We have always had tons of raccoons. I don't live on the ground floor, so don't mind them one bit. The ones who live here don't tend to be aggressive because they are all born and raised right here, only feet away from two big apartment buildings. Plenty of people actually feed them (obviously they aren't supposed to, but they do, and that is likely why generation after generation of this family live here). So for wild raccoons, they are particularly tame. The biggest problem is with people's cats. Those who live on the first floor and have cats obviously have to really worry.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh my goodness!  So adorable.  Hope mom found them.
    Me too! I will be keeping an eye out for this family and try to determine if mom's okay. If not, I figure these babies will start losing weight pretty quick, and I'll have to call someone.... after researching who to call to ensure the babies aren't put down.
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

We have always had tons of raccoons. I don't live on the ground floor, so don't mind them one bit. The ones who live here don't tend to be aggressive because they are all born and raised right here, only feet away from two big apartment buildings. Plenty of people actually feed them (obviously they aren't supposed to, but they do, and that is likely why generation after generation of this family live here). So for wild raccoons, they are particularly tame. The biggest problem is with people's cats. Those who live on the first floor and have cats obviously have to really worry.
    Cats vs. raccoons, that could get nasty!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

The juiciest bits are at the top!
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It does - I hear the fights between them outside my window all the time!
    edited July 2019

Wow! Where exactly is this?? You live in Vancouver, right? I never see deer around metro Vancouver except where you'd really expect to, like on Burnaby Mountain and the Delta Watershed and places like that. Never in neighborhoods like this.
    PJ_Soul said:

Wow! Where exactly is this?? You live in Vancouver, right? I never see deer around metro Vancouver except where you'd really expect to, like on Burnaby Mountain and the Delta Watershed and places like that. Never in neighborhoods like this.
    Nope.  I’m in Victoria.  We have a deer problem here.  Too f’n many of them.  There is literally a herd of them, nine or more, that congregate every evening in the school field where I walk the dogs.  Thankfully they’re pretty chill and don’t mind Max so I can still throw the ball for her and they just occasionally look up.  They stay a little further away when I walk the Rottie lol. Of course, he gets a bit more excited.
    PJ_Soul said:

Nope.  I’m in Victoria.  We have a deer problem here.  Too f’n many of them.  There is literally a herd of them, nine or more, that congregate every evening in the school field where I walk the dogs.  Thankfully they’re pretty chill and don’t mind Max so I can still throw the ball for her and they just occasionally look up.  They stay a little further away when I walk the Rottie lol. Of course, he gets a bit more excited.
    Ah, yeah. I've heard talk of culls on the Island. And all those rabbits too. :(
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I wish they would do culls!  It’s ridiculous how outraged people get with the merest suggestion. 

This morning.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,711
    They look so lovely
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I wish they would do culls!  It’s ridiculous how outraged people get with the merest suggestion. 
    I'm against culling, so of course don't think it's ridiculous. ;)
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, culling would probably be preferable to the alternative of the introduction of wolves into an urban setting  :o;)
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, culling would probably be preferable to the alternative of the introduction of wolves into an urban setting  :o;)
    I don't think simply killing a bunch of deer is the answer.  I think there has to be some kind of  third alternative other than returning wolves to urban areas or killing deer.  I'm working on that right now by reading this book.  In the early going, I'm already starting to believe the answer to a lot of environmental questions are to be found within these pages:

I really am sort of tongue in cheek about the cull.  However, if it was something that was seriously considered in our region, I think that it should be done as humanely as possible and that the meat was harvested to supply local food banks and that the rest of the carcass was re-purposed.

I really am sort of tongue in cheek about the cull.  However, if it was something that was seriously considered in our region, I think that it should be done as humanely as possible and that the meat was harvested to supply local food banks and that the rest of the carcass was re-purposed.

It really is a tough dilemma.  On the one hand, who wants to kill a deer? (don't answer that, NRA dudes)  But then who wants to play bumper cars with deer all day? My wife hit one last year and she's a great driver.  I've had some super close calls- no collisions but a fraction of a second less and there would have been a few. 

Here's what the Humane Society came up with:

"Killing programs aimed at reducing deer populations are often controversial, difficult to execute safely in urban and suburban areas, and don't result in long-term population reduction. Wildlife fertility control offers a humane way to manage deer populations where necessary and appropriate.

PZP (porcine zona pellucida) is an immunocontraception vaccine that can be used to control fertility in adult female deer and other mammals. Unlike some fertility control vaccines and methods that can cause undesirable behavior changes, PZP simply prevents fertilization from occurring. Most importantly, because PZP is a natural protein, like all other proteins found in animals, it is safe to use and will not harm animals. PZP can be delivered to adult female deer by hand or remotely using darts shot from a dart gun."

Sounds like a plan!

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I could see a cat fending off a raccoon that has had lots of human interation, less wild...even then I would give the raccoon the upper hand.  So if these cats get used to fending off these raccoons and then a more wild/aggressive raccoon happens by a cat, and if they cross paths the more aggressive raccoon will win and the cat will not fare well.  I'd think twice before letting a pet cat out when raccoons are know to be present.

Same with me.  I always keep an eye on my dog when out doing her business because we have coyotes in the area.  

Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

It really is a tough dilemma.  On the one hand, who wants to kill a deer? (don't answer that, NRA dudes)  But then who wants to play bumper cars with deer all day? My wife hit one last year and she's a great driver.  I've had some super close calls- no collisions but a fraction of a second less and there would have been a few. 

Here's what the Humane Society came up with:

"Killing programs aimed at reducing deer populations are often controversial, difficult to execute safely in urban and suburban areas, and don't result in long-term population reduction. Wildlife fertility control offers a humane way to manage deer populations where necessary and appropriate.

PZP (porcine zona pellucida) is an immunocontraception vaccine that can be used to control fertility in adult female deer and other mammals. Unlike some fertility control vaccines and methods that can cause undesirable behavior changes, PZP simply prevents fertilization from occurring. Most importantly, because PZP is a natural protein, like all other proteins found in animals, it is safe to use and will not harm animals. PZP can be delivered to adult female deer by hand or remotely using darts shot from a dart gun."

Sounds like a plan!

They are starting to do that in some of the communities around here.  I do agree, that would be the best way to control the population.  I don’t dislike having them around. We plant our gardens with stuff that deer don’t generally like.  Of course, the deer around here seem to like everything some years!  ;)

We’re all just sharing space on this big, blue marble till we’re not.

Which brings me to a sad observation.  There’s been this poor, I’m guessing orphaned yearling, wandering around trying to find a new family.  The other deer have been so mean to it, not letting it join in with their crew.  It’s a real Rudolph situation tbh.  I think it tried to join my crew yesterday. It followed me around a ball diamond yesterday. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I am opposed to any culls, especially if culling one species is to protect another species.  We have a National Park (small) and a Provincial Park in my area that does annual deer culls (to protect the trees and vegetation), these culls are done by 1st nations people.  Its complete BS...these culls are happening after hunting season...I can not remember the last time I saw deer in those 2 parks.  That's why.

I have a theory about those culls.  This 1st nation band currently has no land of their own (long story), they have been given money to buy land to have their own reserve...but until that happens I think the government sets aside this time so they can hunt.  The parks were part of their original territory...kind of wish they'd turn the provincial park over to them...just a theory.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited July 2019
    No big deal, but we’ve had a baby bunny feeding in our yard for about a month. It doesn’t get spooked really at all until maybe you’re 5 feet from it. It just feeds on the clover and frolics about all day, lol. It’s cute, yo. It’s hilarious when my shih-tzu  comes outside, sees it, and does a dead sprint for it. I bet that little bunny would mess my dog up in a fight.
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    brianlux said:

this guy was in my apartment a few years ago.

had one of a garter snake but can't find it anywhere
    Awesome!  Bats are so cool!  We've had a few in the shed at times.

Love that frog.  Out cat Annie was desperately trying to get to something behind a bookshelf the other night.  I just figured it was another crane fly (which she sometimes eats!).  Turns out it was a little frog.  Thankfully I caught it and took it outside before she could mangle it.  This (and the fact the we have the occasional fox, coyote and racoon around here) is exactly why she is an indoor cat.  Other wise she would be a serial killer (birds, rabbits, lizards, frogs, etc) or victim to the fox, coyote or racoon.  She has a real kill or be killed nature... except with humans, and then she is sweet as can be!
    cool, where do you live again? 
    had another bat in my apartment.  Came home late last night and two things were knocked over on a really high shelf.  Thought it might have been my cat bit there was no way she could have gotten up there.  Went to bed and woke up around 5 for some reason and saw a bat flying around my apartment (which isn't too big by the way).  first thing i did was put my cat in the other room so she wouldn't be in the way.  then i opened up the door that leads into the building hallway and my porch door hoping it would fly out but no just kept on flying on circles pretty much.  Tried "shooing" it away with a box and accidentally hit twice.  second time i hit it, it fell on my chair.  i just grabbed some magazines and picked it up with them and tossed it out the porch door.  It wasn't injured, It flew away so glad i didn't hurt it too bad.
    and again this morning. That's like 4th or 5th bat i've had in apartment in the past 10 or so years. Cat woke me up around 5:30 or so and saw her staring at something. Then i heard flapping above my head and saw the bat. Opened up the door to the hallway of my apartment complex and also the screen door to my porch hoping it would fly out and it did after about 5 minutes or so. Sorry no pics. Do have video which i posted on facebook.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I took my 15 year old fishing. I say fishing. We just have an old rod and we float fish. Nothing  special just being outdoors in nature. Well we saw the most heart breaking sight which  left us both in tears. 
    Now nature has its own religion as we know. But we were  at a very small pond/lake . We heard some splashing around like a dog had got in the water but it came swimming  past we could not make it out. So i filmed it. Suddenly  i realised  this was a rabbit that had fallen in ( later found it had miximatosis(sp) ) It could not see or swim well and was so frantically  paddling  for his last breath. 
    I quickly  got the longest pole i had and tried to pull him out. 
    My heart  was pounding and my daughter was in shock.(she rarely leaves the house  so this is our new hobby to get  us out) 
    We watched in vein as he took his last breath. We both  stood and stared at eachother. I got my net as it drifted nearer pulled this poor poor creature out. His eyes were gone on one side and bleeding on the other. A human invented this disease in lab my mum went on to tell me. I hate man.
    It was like into the wild when .A.supertramp writes it was the biggest regret of his  life when he killed the moose. 
    I have a new respect for life . And a whole  in my heart  to see any living thing take its last frantic breath. Sad as seeing a human die to me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I took my 15 year old fishing. I say fishing. We just have an old rod and we float fish. Nothing  special just being outdoors in nature. Well we saw the most heart breaking sight which  left us both in tears. 
    Now nature has its own religion as we know. But we were  at a very small pond/lake . We heard some splashing around like a dog had got in the water but it came swimming  past we could not make it out. So i filmed it. Suddenly  i realised  this was a rabbit that had fallen in ( later found it had miximatosis(sp) ) It could not see or swim well and was so frantically  paddling  for his last breath. 
    I quickly  got the longest pole i had and tried to pull him out. 
    My heart  was pounding and my daughter was in shock.(she rarely leaves the house  so this is our new hobby to get  us out) 
    We watched in vein as he took his last breath. We both  stood and stared at eachother. I got my net as it drifted nearer pulled this poor poor creature out. His eyes were gone on one side and bleeding on the other. A human invented this disease in lab my mum went on to tell me. I hate man.
    It was like into the wild when .A.supertramp writes it was the biggest regret of his  life when he killed the moose. 
    I have a new respect for life . And a whole  in my heart  to see any living thing take its last frantic breath. Sad as seeing a human die to me.
    That a very sad story, Rob.  Yes, it's hard to see that kind of thing happen. I'm sorry it didn't turn out well and share you anger over some of the cruel things humans use animal life for.  It's terrible.

Your story reminds me of when I was on the shores of Lake Erie back in the mid 70's one summer and came upon a good sized shore bird that was impossibly tangled in heavy duty commercial fishing line with a large hook in its bill.  There was no one around to help and I didn't have a car and it was a fairly remote stretch of lake (at least back then) so I tried my best alone to help.  Every time I got near the bird it totally freaked and made things worse.  I could tell it was on it's last breaths and in terrible pain.  Out of desperation, I finally hefted a huge stone over my head, threw it toward the bird, closed my eyes at the last split second, and ended the poor thing's misery.  I thought I was doing something good and I may have been, but I felt absolutely terrible about doing that.  I still do when I think about it.

Yeah, Into the Wild.  What a story. I remember that part about when McCandles feel badly for having killed the moose.  What a shame he didn't live to learn more and pass on what he learned.  But Krakauer did a great job of telling the story. 

It is to this day my favourite  film /story.
    We can all have a bit of chris in us.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07