Abortion-Keep Legal, Yes or No?

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    HAHA
    What are you laughing at? This is a pretty serious topic.
    I'm pretty sure actual slaves would be pretty offended by that remark. 
    I very much doubt it.
    Has it been a long time since you read The Handmaid's Tale? Maybe you need a refresher, I don't know. I'm surprised you made that comment considering the context of this conversation. I would have thought you understood the slave comparison in the context of the abortion debate. I guess not.
    Anyway, NOBODY is going to talk me out of or make me feel ashamed of being an absolutist when it comes to the this topic. There is zero room for compromise IMO, and I will always 100% be proud of being in extreme opposition. I will not tone it down, ever. The danger all this poses for women is very very real.
    being a slave, beaten daily, watching your family members getting slaughtered, all because of the colour of your skin, and not being allowed to abort your fetus is the same. jesus christ. and I'M using hyperbole? lol

and I don't know where the bottom rant came from. literally no one gives a shit about talking you out of anything or toning it down. 
    Are you speaking for other people now?
    And there is a difference between hyperbole and metaphor, as you know. I think you also know that not all slaves fit into your very limited little description above. But personhood laws make people slaves of the state. That is the context, and I expected you to understand that. Oops.
    keep moving the goal posts. 

first you argued that actual slaves would agree with you. now it's metaphor. which is it?

on second thought, never mind. I expect to have a level headed conversation in these forums, not someone shouting how right they are and shutting down any and all discussion. "oops". 

I mean, really, what is your intent here? you get all fucking hysterical out of nowhere about how you'll never have your mind changed. so what's the point of a discussion?

there isn't one. 

Excuse me while I go discuss the merits of watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure where it relates to the downfalls of the education system. 

Be excellent to each other.  
    I'm not hysterical out of nowhere at all (and oh yay! Another woman being called hysterical, how ironic!) - you never even asked why I said it. I'm not about to explain it now, since you're picking up PJPOWERS tactics just to take a jab.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ha! Just saw this on FB right now. Timely!

Too true.

Keep up the good fight pjsoul.

I get a kick out of all these supposed fiscal conservatives excited to pay to take care of all those unwanted babies. Especially those poorest of states. Makes a ton of sense.
    I'm sure they are extra double excited to pay to take care of all those unwanted black and brown babies
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

I get a kick out of all these supposed fiscal conservatives excited to pay to take care of all those unwanted babies. Especially those poorest of states. Makes a ton of sense.
    I'm sure they are extra double excited to pay to take care of all those unwanted black and brown babies
    They ain’t paying for shit. Pro-life until you’re born. They’ll just expect blue states to transfer their wealth and then spend it on tax breaks for the wealthy.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    This pretty much sums me up lol 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

:lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mcgruff10 said:

I’m anti-abortion, pro gun control and pro LGBT....so we have 1 thing in common ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

They ain’t paying for shit. Pro-life until you’re born. They’ll just expect blue states to transfer their wealth and then spend it on tax breaks for the wealthy.
    This is unfortunately true for a large portion of people that are anti-abortion. It’s stupid and mind boggling along with abstinence only sex education. I mean...you have an opportunity to educate and set people down a path that won’t require an abortion...it’s so obvious.
    hippiemom = goodness
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

This is unfortunately true for a large portion of people that are anti-abortion. It’s stupid and mind boggling along with abstinence only sex education. I mean...you have an opportunity to educate and set people down a path that won’t require an abortion...it’s so obvious.
    There isn't any setting rape and incest victims down that path, but the laws are making abortions of pregnancies resulting from rape and incest illegal too.
    BTW, IMO it's not pro-abortion and anti-abortion. Those terms seems misleading to me, particularly because nobody is pro-abortion. It's pro-choice and anti-choice.
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

There isn't any setting rape and incest victims down that path, but the laws are making abortions of pregnancies resulting from rape and incest illegal too.
    BTW, IMO it's not pro-abortion and anti-abortion. Those terms seems misleading to me, particularly because nobody is pro-abortion. It's pro-choice and anti-choice.
    That is true about rape and invest. And even though I believe abortion to be murder at a certain point, I cannot be against it for victims of rape and incest. That is a tough thing to grapple with though...for me.

hippiemom = goodness
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

Oh and honestly I don’t care what label you want to call it. I didn’t fix it when you use your terms, don’t pretend like yours are the only right ones. That’s fucking narcissistic. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

Oh and honestly I don’t care what label you want to call it. I didn’t fix it when you use your terms, don’t pretend like yours are the only right ones. That’s fucking narcissistic. 
    What in the hell are you talking about?? I said IN MY OPINION.... that those terms seem misleading TO ME.... How in the fuck did I just get accused of pretending like mine are the only right ones and of being narcissistic using that kind of language?? Are you just looking for reasons to trash me or what?
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

What in the hell are you talking about?? I said IN MY OPINION.... that those terms seem misleading TO ME.... How in the fuck did I just get accused of pretending like mine are the only right ones and of being narcissistic using that kind of language?? Are you just looking for reasons to trash me or what?
     Not not looking, just reading.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

Not closely enough I guess? Or are you going to call out everyone for stating their opinions that you don't agree with and call them narcissistic? Or just me?
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    OnWis97 said:
    I can see the argument that life begins at conception.  It just doesn't matter to me.  I care more about sentient beings with hopes and dreams than cell masses coming to life.  The loss of a, say, one-month old embryo is simply not tragic.
    You just summed up exactly how I feel, with one other point. A government's role is to do what is best for society, and largely is guided by the society itself. If society is this split about whether abortions should be permitted or prohibited, when the impact is restricted to the decision maker and the thing growing inside of her and no one else - I can't comprehend the rationalization for a government prohibition on abortions. This so clearly screams that the mother and father are the only two who could even arguably have a say in this, and context must be involved to decide whether the father even deserves a say, or how much of one if he does.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

Then read better.
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

Then read better.
    Thanks. Always jumping in. Never anything to say
    hippiemom = goodness
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited May 2019
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

Then read better.
    You're welcome.

I feel like I said something, but maybe you had trouble reading it.

Alabama's Abortion Ban Isn't About 'The Sanctity of Life.' Look at How the State Treats Its People.

There's nothing sacred about shorter, more dangerous lives.

But the real peach there is towards the end: every life is precious, and every life is a gift from God. That sounds nice, but it is not reflected in basically anything else Alabama does. The state ranks 49th nationally in terms of life expectancy: residents' lives are 3.5 years shorter than the national average. Alabama has the fourth-worst infant mortality rate in America, at 7.4 deaths per 1,000 live births. That makes a baby born in Alabama more likely to die than one that's born in Russia, or Qatar, or the Cayman Islands. (In fairness, the United States' overall record on this is abysmal: in the richest, most powerful country in the history of the world, 5.8 of every 1,000 infants born alive will soon die.) Life might be precious in the womb, but Alabama has not devoted much time or energy to protecting it once it's out in the world.

This extends elsewhere. Alabama had near-zero regulations on childcare services up until last year, when Ivey signed a "compromise" bill that, according to AL.com, "adds some regulations for child care centers but stops short of requiring licensing and inspection of all centers." The state still allows "church-affiliated" childcare centers to claim exemption from licensing and inspection requirements, because what could go wrong? Nearly half of the state's 1,900 care centers claim the exemption. Opponents of regulating church-affiliated outfits said it would "infringe on religious freedoms." The move was prompted by a series of child injuries and deaths at unlicensed centers, including a 5-year-old boy in Mobile who was left in a day care van by a driver who had a criminal record.

Alabama also isn't known for affordable childcare, and while married couples were paying about 7 percent of median income towards it, single mothers were paying 30 percent. This is a crippling expense considering experts recommend spending 10 percent or less. Maybe the Alabama legislature could devote some time and energy to any of these issues. In a recent U.S. News and World Report survey, Alabama ranked 49th out of 50 in terms of overall outcomes for its citizens. It was 46th in healthcare, 50th in education, 45th on the economy, 45th in "opportunity," and 45th in crime and corrections.

In fact, Alabama has one of the most barbaric prison systems in the country: a Trump Justice Department investigation found the facilities were overcrowded (at 180 percent of capacity), understaffed, and had some of the highest rates of rape and homicide. In one week in one Alabama prison in September 2017, there were four stabbings, five beatings, three sexual assaults, an overdose, and an arson where a prisoner's bed was set on fire while he slept. In a separate case from another institution, a prisoner had been dead for so long that by the time guards found him lying face down, his face was flattened. Is this how you treat children of God, whose lives are sacred?
    https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a27491521/alabama-abortion-ban-sanctity-of-life-infant-mortality-life-expectancy/

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

Not closely enough I guess? Or are you going to call out everyone for stating their opinions that you don't agree with and call them narcissistic? Or just me?
    Including the entire thread. But fair enough. I’ll own this.  You did say IMO. So it was probably too harsh for that. Letting past discussion here where people focus so much in the labels and arguing what other people should use. So I’m sorry for the comment for that one.

keep your boy digin in line though. :) 

hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

Then read better.
    You're welcome.

Alabama's Abortion Ban Isn't About 'The Sanctity of Life.' Look at How the State Treats Its People.

But the real peach there is towards the end: every life is precious, and every life is a gift from God. That sounds nice, but it is not reflected in basically anything else Alabama does. The state ranks 49th nationally in terms of life expectancy: residents' lives are 3.5 years shorter than the national average. Alabama has the fourth-worst infant mortality rate in America, at 7.4 deaths per 1,000 live births. That makes a baby born in Alabama more likely to die than one that's born in Russia, or Qatar, or the Cayman Islands. (In fairness, the United States' overall record on this is abysmal: in the richest, most powerful country in the history of the world, 5.8 of every 1,000 infants born alive will soon die.) Life might be precious in the womb, but Alabama has not devoted much time or energy to protecting it once it's out in the world.

This extends elsewhere. Alabama had near-zero regulations on childcare services up until last year, when Ivey signed a "compromise" bill that, according to AL.com, "adds some regulations for child care centers but stops short of requiring licensing and inspection of all centers." The state still allows "church-affiliated" childcare centers to claim exemption from licensing and inspection requirements, because what could go wrong? Nearly half of the state's 1,900 care centers claim the exemption. Opponents of regulating church-affiliated outfits said it would "infringe on religious freedoms." The move was prompted by a series of child injuries and deaths at unlicensed centers, including a 5-year-old boy in Mobile who was left in a day care van by a driver who had a criminal record.

Alabama also isn't known for affordable childcare, and while married couples were paying about 7 percent of median income towards it, single mothers were paying 30 percent. This is a crippling expense considering experts recommend spending 10 percent or less. Maybe the Alabama legislature could devote some time and energy to any of these issues. In a recent U.S. News and World Report survey, Alabama ranked 49th out of 50 in terms of overall outcomes for its citizens. It was 46th in healthcare, 50th in education, 45th on the economy, 45th in "opportunity," and 45th in crime and corrections.

In fact, Alabama has one of the most barbaric prison systems in the country: a Trump Justice Department investigation found the facilities were overcrowded (at 180 percent of capacity), understaffed, and had some of the highest rates of rape and homicide. In one week in one Alabama prison in September 2017, there were four stabbings, five beatings, three sexual assaults, an overdose, and an arson where a prisoner's bed was set on fire while he slept. In a separate case from another institution, a prisoner had been dead for so long that by the time guards found him lying face down, his face was flattened. Is this how you treat children of God, whose lives are sacred?
    https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a27491521/alabama-abortion-ban-sanctity-of-life-infant-mortality-life-expectancy/

Alabama Godamn 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    benjs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I can see the argument that life begins at conception.  It just doesn't matter to me.  I care more about sentient beings with hopes and dreams than cell masses coming to life.  The loss of a, say, one-month old embryo is simply not tragic.
    You just summed up exactly how I feel, with one other point. A government's role is to do what is best for society, and largely is guided by the society itself. If society is this split about whether abortions should be permitted or prohibited, when the impact is restricted to the decision maker and the thing growing inside of her and no one else - I can't comprehend the rationalization for a government prohibition on abortions. This so clearly screams that the mother and father are the only two who could even arguably have a say in this, and context must be involved to decide whether the father even deserves a say, or how much of one if he does.
    I agree. The definition of when life starts is immaterial to the issue of abortion rights. Is a zygote alive? Sure. Is that significant? Not in this context, because the woman is also alive, and if we are forced to rank the rights each have, the woman has a right over decision making in her body even if the zygote or embryo or fetus is alive. I don’t have the right to demand a kidney from any of you, even if the lack of it would cost me my life, and similarly, the zygote or embryo or fetus does not have the right to demand use of the woman’s body, even if the lack of it would cause its death. 

I do disagree that the father has any decision making power in this, though. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,420
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

without that way of doing things , how can they grow the white, stupid and poor population to whip up to vote against self interest
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

Then read better.
    You're welcome.

Alabama Godamn 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghhaREDM3X8
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

without that way of doing things , how can they grow the white, stupid and poor population to whip up to vote against self interest
    True. I guess it’s the same as why the democrats keep promoting a welfare state that keeps people in need of the government. Continue using to create voters generation after generations.  All about power instead of solving problems

hippiemom = goodness
    edited May 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

True. I guess it’s the same as why the democrats keep promoting a welfare state that keeps people in need of the government. Continue using to create voters generation after generations.  All about power instead of solving problems

So, you see the deliberate disenfranchisement and under-education promulgated by the right to be the moral and practical equivalent of the social safety net of the left?

• j1kotwicj1kotwic Posts: 168
    edited May 2019
    The baby is trying to be born and live. The baby doesn't give a shit what the band thinks or what anyone else thinks on this forum. 
    Post edited by j1kotwic on
    j1kotwic said:
    The baby is trying to be born and live. The baby doesn't give a shit what the band thinks or what anyone else thinks on this forum. 
    Are deliverable babies capable of thought? Does the baby ask itself, “sure hope I don’t get aborted?” At what point, within the womb, do babies not care about a band’s forum?

Brilliantati©
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited May 2019
    j1kotwic said:
    Are deliverable babies capable of thought? Does the baby ask itself, “sure hope I don’t get aborted?” At what point, within the womb, do babies not care about a band’s forum?
    If mom is a Nickleback fan, a blasotcyst can only tolerate so much
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Too true.

So, you see the deliberate disenfranchisement and under-education promulgated by the right to be the moral and practical equivalent of the social safety net of the left?

I see the social safety net of the left resulting in disenfranchisement and under-education. I am only assuming it’s on purpose for the votes to keep rolling in.  And it was in response to someone saying the right wants to stop abortion so there are more uneducated people to vote for them. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    So a couple of people answered. But again - if an expecting mother is assualted and loses her baby...when/should the assaulter be charged with murder? 

Cause my opinion is, even though I’m against abortion in all cases except rape, incest (isn’t this just rape most of the time?), and Mother’s life in danger....I would think the legal definition of this (hopefully based off of science and not politics) is where the line should be drawn on abortion.  

I wish there were no abortions. But until the work is out in on the front end to stop the need (for the most part) and since it’s been decided by law already with no change as to why it should be challenged....no new information.... then it seems to me we should be allowing science to tell us where the line is. And science should be the only ones to move that line. 

Its disturbing to me the way some talk about it though.  In an effort to support women they are degrading human life in my opinion. There is no need to be so brash about it. Abortion shouldn’t be the a decision that is the last option.  It’s pretty sad really, imo, because there are so many things that can be done to prevent the need at all.
    hippiemom = goodness