Options

The Evolution of Handwriting

12346»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    brianlux said:
    Today was C's birthday.   She loves getting cards.  Guess what?  I got her a card!  Ah!, but better yet, I gave her a big fat gift card for her favorite nursery/garden shop.  AND a really cool jigsaw puzzle.  AND made a fabulous dinner (we more often than not go vegetarian but tonight, filet mignon on the rare side-- perfect!)  AND cake.  AND a fine bottle of wine.

Did I mention I also get her a card?  LOL.
    the big question is.....did you get ripped off? LOL
    No, but the wine was so good I did get a little ripped.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    Perhaps I have read you wrong. Perhaps we think a rip off is different. I really don't know and it really doesn't matter in the long  run. 

It does to me - I actually think I deserve a little more credit that what you just laid on me - your assumptions about where my head is at is disturbing to me!
    I do feel like you dismiss opinions that don't align with yours, at times. It may be in the way that you express something that you truly believe. But I would never have believed that you buy greeting cards from what you had written. I felt like you just dismissed what I had written instead of something like 'yes, I think it is an entire rip off but there are other people who are okay with that so they feel differently'.  Without that, I was just left with you doubling down on your opinion. 

And you said that people are being ripped off even if they don't know they are being ripped off. That left me completely unvalidated, like I didn't know that cards are expensive which would make me an idiot. It's kind of the same when you talk about religion and brainwashing. People are brainwashed even if they don't realize it. That is your opinion. But you will not give an inch on anyone else's explanation. If you've been to a Catholic School, you are brainwashed but don't realize it and it's kind of insulting. This was that some sort of feeling about a much much more trivial subject.  

When I buy gluten free food for my son, I know I'm getting ripped off. If someone needs a sponge for their boat and there is only a boat store,  they are getting ripped off because they are being charged for a  'boat sponge'. I don't feel the same in this instance.  I didn't expect to change your mind, but I did think you would give some sort of validation that another opinion could be valid.  And I give weight to what you say because I respect and like you. 

Okay, well, to straighten things out, I absolutely do express my own opinion strongly and confidently, but I am NEVER dismissive of anyone's opinion, whether they agree with me or not. Even if I think someone else's opinion is nuts (doesn't apply here), I'm not dismissive of the nutzo opinion, lol. I honestly think "at times" you might think that simply because when I happen to be responding, I don't have the time to type more, so I'm just being brief and sticking with limited points because of that. Not dismissive. I often don't have time (or the fortitude, sometimes) to deal with and consider every little nuance of my post or those of others, that's all, and sometimes may not address everything brought up in the post I'm responding to. Your posts are always VERY thought out and detailed, which I know many appreciate, myself included, but I'm just not in the position to always reciprocate equally! Also, as I don't really require much validation of my own opinions to feel comfortable with them, I'm not necessarily inclined to go out of my way to specifically validate other people's opinions. I just take it for granted that we're disagreeing and, and that's that. No big deal. The very fact that we are even having a conversation seems like enough validation to me.

I did say that people are being ripped off even if they don't think they are being ripped off. That definitely is only about how I define being ripped off. To me it's not about the feelings or attitudes of the people at all, or how happy or satisfied one might feel in the purchase. It's simply about the difference between the cost of production vs the retail price!

As for religion and brainwashing... well, yes, I'm perfectly aware that is insulting to religious people, but I can't help that. It's completely unavoidable, because I think just the belief in the existence of God alone is the result of being brainwashed, and I see no alternative to that fact (as I see it). I think that people are taught to believe in God and whatever dogma that goes with it in their religion, and that is brainwashing by definition (I do not think everyone who has gone to Catholic School is brainwashed though... I'm pretty sure Atheists have attended such schools). I don't intend to insult anyone saying that, it just is what it is. I can't help it. If I'm to be honest about my own beliefs about it, I can't get around that. I have to just accept that that will insult people who believe in God. It's not a reflection of my personality or my feelings about opinions in general. That's a very specific topic and doesn't reflect my attitude about other things.

I like you very much.... I just wish you wouldn't think the worst of me when you find yourself disagreeing with my opinions or my delivery or whatever, because your conclusions about what I meant here were really quite monstrous IMO. Just ask me what I meant maybe, because if you think I'm being THAT unreasonable, there is likely just a misunderstanding happening.

I really wasn't thinking the worst of you so I'm sorry that my description was so heavy handed. I was trying to figure out a way to explain myself without being offensive and I did not succeed, so I apologize for making you sound like someone that you aren't.  

I think that your first paragraph explains where we got crossed. I get very into discussions and when I receive a short reply I feel like the discussion has been ended. I wasn't sure what you meant and I almost replied 'Huh?' to your post, but instead I went the dismissive route. Should have gone with my instinct for Huh. 

I do not know how to respond to a short response like that sometimes and in the future I will ask what you mean. I don't expect you to respond to every point I made - I know that I write in a discussion style more than most and I don't usually have short responses. If I'm not in the mood to engage, I usually just skip posting. Short posts are a work in progress for me. Sometimes I see a short response as a dismissal of my opinion when the poster is just being brief. I need to work on knowing how to respond to those posts. Being dismissed is something that bothers me due to RL experience, so that hit a nerve, even though I now realize you weren't doing that.  

I am sorry for offending you and for thinking you were being so unreasonable. We have different styles of communication and different triggers, or at least I have some, so I'll work on asking instead of assuming the worst in the future. I know you will discuss your POV with anyone. I was just taken off guard this time and things went sideways.   I REALLY did not think you were monstrous and I am sorry that my words were so strong. I didn't mean to cast you in a negative light, even though that's what I did. I can only try to do better in the future. 

EDIT - I also missed a bunch of posts which would have changed how I viewed things. 

:hug: You are lovely Nancy, all is good, I am glad you don't think I'm a monster, haha, and it's always great to talk things though IMO. And I'm afraid this is another brief response, I'M SORRY! :lol:;) I love writing long, detailed posts myself, but as some know, I almost exclusively post here while I'm also working at the office, LOL. I am a super-multi-tasker and I do this to keep my hyper-stimulated as I sit at a desk all day (at a job I actually really enjoy). I jump back and forth between my work and here a lot, so unless it's very slow in the office or I'm between projects or something, I sometimes have to get it in in short bursts. But that doesn't make me appreciate what others are saying any less.  :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Today was C's birthday.   She loves getting cards.  Guess what?  I got her a card!  Ah!, but better yet, I gave her a big fat gift card for her favorite nursery/garden shop.  AND a really cool jigsaw puzzle.  AND made a fabulous dinner (we more often than not go vegetarian but tonight, filet mignon on the rare side-- perfect!)  AND cake.  AND a fine bottle of wine.

The answer is necessarily yes! =);)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

The Great Greeting Card Debate!  :lol:      
     Just remember if you do send a card, SIGN IN CURSIVE!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

The Great Greeting Card Debate!  :lol:      
     Just remember if you do send a card, SIGN IN CURSIVE!

that's actually pretty much the only time I use cursive. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Is it even a signature if it’s not in cursive? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    No it's not. On forms it usually says PRINT NAME and SIGN NAME. I suppose someone could print in both places but they'd be better off just doing a squiggly line like I do on those supermarket check out machines. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    njnancy said:
    No it's not. On forms it usually says PRINT NAME and SIGN NAME. I suppose someone could print in both places but they'd be better off just doing a squiggly line like I do on those supermarket check out machines. 
    I think a signature can actually be anything you want it to be. It could be a drawing of something if you wanted. And now that I type that, I rather regret not thinking to do that myself, lol, when I was designing my own signature.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    On those UPS keypads, I just give them a squiggly line...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I created a beautiful signature when I was in high school, and it was fairly legible too, but over the years it has kind of morphed into an illegible scrawl that only vaguely resembles the original invention. Although it is still a unique looking illegible scrawl I guess.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Mine had narrowed down over the years until it is just the first letter of my first name. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Mine had narrowed down over the years until it is just the first letter of my first name. 
    that's actually what i use at work as well when i have to sign documents. way faster. on anything personally official i use the first letter of my first name, first letter of last name into a squiggle which ends with the last letter of my last name. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Tell me no one dots their I's with hearts =)

My first and last name together are quite long, and over the years my signature has gone from beautifully legible to frighteningly forgeable.
  • Options
    If you're Lou or Murph, yes.  If you're J.. well...

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    yeah my hand writing is more devo than evo. hand writing irritates me. i do it a lot but  my head really isnt in it cause i cant even read what i write. sometimes i really try to concentrate and it goes ok for a couple of sentences, but in the end my head gets away from me and my hand cant keep up.  then it becomes a case of me becoming a kind of cursive anthropologist trying to decipher the indecipherable. 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    yeah my hand writing is more devo than evo. hand writing irritates me. i do it a lot but  my head really isnt in it cause i cant even read what i write. sometimes i really try to concentrate and it goes ok for a couple of sentences, but in the end my head gets away from me and my hand cant keep up.  then it becomes a case of me becoming a kind of cursive anthropologist trying to decipher the indecipherable. 
    "cursive anthropologist" haha, I love it!