Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    And I'm sure your gang of buddies will be here to defend you Monday...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Maybe Trudeau has a problem with female lawyers...

Huh. Seems like the last time you commented on lawyers, they were all the scum of the earth. 
    Do you question every poster intentions on here, with what you perceive as a misstep to try to corner people...or is it just me?  Because you are a real piece of work in my eyes...
    I generally respond to posts that I think display misinformation, untruths or ignorance. If you are paying attention on this board, you will see that your posts are not the only ones I comment on. However, it’s interesting that you seem to believe you’re being singled out. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

LOL...that is a pretty damn good insult...
    So, now we’re laughing at the developmentally disabled?

Maybe Trudeau has a problem with female lawyers...

Huh. Seems like the last time you commented on lawyers, they were all the scum of the earth. 
    Do you question every poster intentions on here, with what you perceive as a misstep to try to corner people...or is it just me?  Because you are a real piece of work in my eyes...
    And lay off the personal insults. I’ve never insulted you but you seem to feel justified in insulting me. 

Pretty sad that he treated a 38 year Canadian forces veteran without an apology...but hands a terrorist 10.5 million. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The Crime Minister strikes again...

Roy Green: Is Vice-Admiral Mark Norman a victim of a petty streak of anger?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5262361/roy-green-is-vice-admiral-mark-norman-a-victim-of-a-petty-streak-of-anger/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalToronto&fbclid=IwAR0LMvKIgMv2JRTY4hHNaCJXRbr1sxQGavf_OU8OBfTg5QcRxZchPMAnRSs

Specifically, in 2017, Trudeau’s words were that the matter would “likely end up before the courts.” In February 2018, the prime minister of Canada spoke with even greater conviction. Norman’s case would “inevitably” lead to “court processes.”

What makes these statements by Trudeau particularly relevant is that Norman was not criminally charged until March of 2018.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Have not heard a peep from the NDP or Scheer and apparently he is on tour

would be interested to hear their actual platforms and solutions as opposed to just Liberal bashing. The Democrats in the US are making the same mistake against Trump

i want to hear your (political leaders) ideas, not what is wrong with the other person
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2019
    All they've got is liberal bashing. No facts needed. And it's working. Canadians are the new Americans as far as politics go.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    PJ_Soul said:
    All they've got is liberal bashing. No facts needed. And it's working. Canadians are the new Americans as far as politics go.
    Exactly, we elected a narcissistic bobble head as our Prime Minister. People laugh when I say Trudeau and Trump are the same person dressed in different values, but I still see that as true.

I’m not sure opposition parties are required to release their platforms before the campaign begins, right now their job is exactly that, to question the sitting government.

And as we saw here in Ontario, one can win with a platform best described as vague (the American Democrats should pay attention to that as they campaign against Trump in the next election).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    if you are saying JT got elected by celebrity alone, I think there is some truth to that. BUT they are not the same. JT at least has his heart in the right place, and I don't buy into the "idiot" tag the right is placing on him. he's made some gaffes, but he's done a lot of good too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It would sure be nice if something helped to stem the tide of online hatred.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-christchurch-online-terrorism-ardern-1.5135322

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expected to sign an international pledge in Paris Wednesday aimed at getting governments and social media companies working together to curb the spread of violent and extremist content online.

Trudeau is attending the Christchurch Call meeting in Paris tomorrow. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, who is co-chairing the meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron, is expected to cite the massacre of 51 Muslim worshippers in two New Zealand mosques in March as she pushes for a sweeping agreement to combat terrorist content disseminated on social media.

In a press release announcing the Paris visit last week, Trudeau voiced his fear that social media platforms increasingly are being weaponized "as tools to incite, publish and broadcast extremist violence and hatred."

He called for "a coordinated global response" to tackle the problem. And while the details of the non-binding pledge up for approval in Paris tomorrow are sketchy at this point, the New York Times reports it will call on social media firms to examine software that directs users to violent content and ask them to share more data with government authorities to find and eliminate violent, extremist material.

The summit came together in the wake of gun attacks on two Christchurch mosques in March that left 51 dead. Video of the attacks was live-streamed for nearly 17 minutes on social media and was subsequently uploaded thousands of times, as social media companies struggled to remove it.

The leaders of the United Kingdom, Ireland, Norway, Indonesia and Senegal, and the president of the European Commission, will also be in Paris, along with high-level officials from Facebook, Twitter, Google and Microsoft. All are expected to endorse the agreement.

The United States, which has been reluctant to regulate the internet due to concerns about limiting freedom of speech, was not invited to attend the Christchurch Call summit and is not expected to sign the pledge.

No right to 'broadcast mass murder'

Ardern has long insisted her push to control the amplification of hate online is not about curbing freedom of expression.

"That right does not include the freedom to broadcast mass murder," she wrote in a recent column.

"This is not about undermining or limiting freedom of speech. It is about these companies and how they operate."

U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May is expected to use her time in Paris to call on governments and social media companies to work together in blocking hateful content.

"The internet is global and online threats have no borders. Companies should be held to consistent international standards, so their customers enjoy the same level of protection wherever they live," May said in a statement.

Trudeau spoke by phone with Microsoft president Brad Smith Monday night ahead of the Paris meeting. According to an account released by the Prime Minister's Office, he spoke about how governments could work with social media platforms to "stop the internet being used as a tool to organize and promote terrorism and violent extremism."

Zuckerberg a no-show

In an op-ed published in the New York Times on Saturday, Ardern called for a "voluntary framework that commits signatories to counter the drivers of terrorism and put in place specific measures to prevent the uploading of terrorist content."

The word "voluntary" is key; the pledge is not expected to include enforcement measures, leaving it up to nations and the social media companies themselves to find ways to restrict the spread of terrorist content online.

While the largest tech companies will be at the table, some of those responsible for running anonymous internet forums known for extreme content — such as 8 Chan and 4 Chan — are not taking part in the summit.

Neither is Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. The social media giant is instead sending Nick Clegg, its vice-president for global affairs and a former deputy prime minister of the U.K.

As part of his visit to Paris, Trudeau also will speak about promoting trust in the online world at VivaTech, an annual technology conference focused on start-ups and innovation.

edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Exactly, we elected a narcissistic bobble head as our Prime Minister. People laugh when I say Trudeau and Trump are the same person dressed in different values, but I still see that as true.

I’m not sure opposition parties are required to release their platforms before the campaign begins, right now their job is exactly that, to question the sitting government.

And as we saw here in Ontario, one can win with a platform best described as vague (the American Democrats should pay attention to that as they campaign against Trump in the next election).
    Lol, that isn't what I meant at all. I don't agree with your perspective about Trudeau at all. I think Scheer, Trump, Harper, and all the citizens who are sucked in by right wing populism and social media quips are the cause, not Trudeau. I think it is nonsense to suggest that Trudeau and Trump are the same person dressed in different values. And I'm not a big Trudeau cheerleader - I'm balanced. He's done some things I dislike, and some things I like. That seems reasonable to be, in relative terms. It's just that a great deal of the criticism about him makes no logical sense, and is just a symptom of that poison I was talking about when I mentioned American politics. It's like people just feel a need to hate and cajole because they are generally feeling bitter and lost or something and need a punching bag, I don't know. But it's sentiment like that that got Trump elected while everyone decided to villainize Clinton to an illogical extent, not what got Trudeau elected. Trudeau was elected not for his celebrity, but because that heavy weight that Harper's anti-science, anti-environment, and anti-Muslim government had laid over Canada was a burden to the majority of voters at the time... But oh, how quickly people forget!
    I also don't agree with your perspective about what the other party leaders should be doing. What they are doing is essentially lying to people and ignoring reality. What I'm most disturbed by is that it's working. I think the majority of the people who relentlessly attack Trudeau couldn't even say what the current economy is actually like, what the job numbers are, or anything like that. They will just insult Trudeau's socks and spit out a couple of Harper campaign insults, and rarely have anything substantive to say, and also just blame any random thing that bugs them on Trudeau, usually when he actually had nothing to do with it. Meanwhile, these same people who will just vote Con because it's a change. Whether or not the change will actually be good for them or Canada doesn't even seem to be a real consideration a lot of the time. It's all just so stupid, and so very disheartening to see that so many Canadians are falling into that trap (and no, I don't think they are doing it because they are all stupid. I think the causes of it are very complicated and rooted in a combo of sociology and psychology and of course sprouting from the widening gap between the rich and everyone else and the cost of living... which of course won't be helped at all by a Con government. If anything, it will get worse. Plus there is the Russian meddling via social media. Oh yes, they are working Canada HARD in those terms. They are creating division among us constantly on Facebook and Twitter, and holy cow, it works like a hot damn. Those Russians are smart in their bizarre tactics).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    One of the least surprising events of his presidency. Remember the crimes Black was convicted of.

Trump issues full pardon to Conrad Black

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/canada/2019/5/15/1_4424348.amp.html

How does the saying go? Thick as thieves? 

LIsten to him.  He sounds like he just attended a funeral.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    dignin said:
    One of the least surprising events of his presidency. Remember the crimes Black was convicted of.

Trump issues full pardon to Conrad Black

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/canada/2019/5/15/1_4424348.amp.html

How does the saying go? Thick as thieves? 

Trump, for obvious reasons, wants to make obstruction of justice a-okay.

Give Peas A Chance…

LMFAO...what are we Cuba, NK, China...bailing out the media or whatever they are doing, it still state-sponsored media now...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    And what the fuck does Jerry Dias know about media...lol...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…

Pretty much...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Top soldier acknowledges handling of Afghan memorial 'hit a nerve;' vows access
    http://ctv.news/eBfsBle?fbclid=IwAR0ITzQw1KObzQoY3bYZhy3fFFCfpM48yBvladtQpHBO2NjoLDeLZKTuUSs

More incompetence from Trudeau and the incompetent defence minister...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Pretty much...
    Give Peas A Chance…

The pipeline will get built...not before a whole bunch of taxpayers $$$ gets wasted...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2019

It will be 19-1, IF and that's a big IF whether the supreme court will even hear this case...it was a unanimous 5-0 slap down of the BC NDP/Green Party.  It should actually be GreenNDP Party ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Green Party calls for Canada to stop using foreign oil — and rely on Alberta’s instead
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5320262/green-party-alberta-foreign-oil/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNational&fbclid=IwAR3_vVvPZ3O-zluOLQRGuxWwVcMx5zSptytdTgvOvaNh3-92zue6CYmugQ8

Well how about that, that is now a political party with common sense...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2019
    Green Party calls for Canada to stop using foreign oil — and rely on Alberta’s instead
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5320262/green-party-alberta-foreign-oil/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNational&fbclid=IwAR3_vVvPZ3O-zluOLQRGuxWwVcMx5zSptytdTgvOvaNh3-92zue6CYmugQ8

Well how about that, that is now a political party with common sense...
    They've always had common sense. So has the NDP. Not that you would know - you harp about the opposition to the pipeline without knowing anything about the opposition's reasoning for their position.
    All it took was a ride in a Dodge Viper and Green Party leader tone changes toward Canadian oil.
    Give Peas A Chance…