The Evolution of Handwriting

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Why all this idiotic millennial hatred or shaming?? WTF?
    Because boomers are the best and we changed the world and everyone else SUCKS!

Oh, alright... I'll concede your point.  Truth is, "We're all bozos on the bus".  :lol: 

OK, but seriously, to me it's not a clear cut generational thing, it's more a continuum that has taken place over the entire era that began with the industrial revolution.  During that time, people in developed countries have gradually and continually been losing the ability to perform basic skills with decreasing efficiency and fewer aesthetically pleasing results.  This, I truly believe.
    You’re right we are getting further and further away from knowing basic skills.  I will also add that people are becoming way too dependent on the government for their existence. For fuck sake’s people are wanting universal basic income because they somehow think that there will be no jobs in five years.
    I agree, but even more, I'd say people are becoming WAY to dependent on their electronics.  Almost everything is run by a computer of some sort and when the power goes down many people are basically helpless, like they themselves have been unplugged.  I don't think this is going to turn out well. And that means me too.  Without power, I cannot do the on-line portion of my book business.
    I believe that people will actually adjust pretty quickly if the power actually goes out for an extended period of time (or indefinitely!). When everyone knows the power is going to come back on in hours or a couple of days, it really sucks and they are just waiting anxiously. But if some cataclysmic happens so that power is actually gone for good or more than a week or something, I believe that people are pretty damned adaptable when push comes to shove. Obviously in this scenario we'd all be dealing with the breakdown of society in general, because the financial system would collapse... But I don't think people would be "lost" for very long because they can't watch TV or surf the web or use electric lights. They'd go into survival mode pretty quick for the most part IMO, rather than curling into a ball. Everything would change.
    Sure, I agree, if you are talking about like a quarter of the population.  At most.
    If the power is truly out, and society really breaks down...yeah, 9 out of 10 people are going to perish in the first 5 years.  
    Most people wouldn't make it out of a major metro, they would be trapped and fall prey to depravity.  What are people going to eat?  I would struggle mightily to eat and I have a farm.
    Canned goods are gone in the first few weeks, dried provisions in the first few months. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh, alright... I'll concede your point.  Truth is, "We're all bozos on the bus".  :lol: 

OK, but seriously, to me it's not a clear cut generational thing, it's more a continuum that has taken place over the entire era that began with the industrial revolution.  During that time, people in developed countries have gradually and continually been losing the ability to perform basic skills with decreasing efficiency and fewer aesthetically pleasing results.  This, I truly believe.
    You’re right we are getting further and further away from knowing basic skills.  I will also add that people are becoming way too dependent on the government for their existence. For fuck sake’s people are wanting universal basic income because they somehow think that there will be no jobs in five years.
    I agree, but even more, I'd say people are becoming WAY to dependent on their electronics.  Almost everything is run by a computer of some sort and when the power goes down many people are basically helpless, like they themselves have been unplugged.  I don't think this is going to turn out well. And that means me too.  Without power, I cannot do the on-line portion of my book business.
    I believe that people will actually adjust pretty quickly if the power actually goes out for an extended period of time (or indefinitely!). When everyone knows the power is going to come back on in hours or a couple of days, it really sucks and they are just waiting anxiously. But if some cataclysmic happens so that power is actually gone for good or more than a week or something, I believe that people are pretty damned adaptable when push comes to shove. Obviously in this scenario we'd all be dealing with the breakdown of society in general, because the financial system would collapse... But I don't think people would be "lost" for very long because they can't watch TV or surf the web or use electric lights. They'd go into survival mode pretty quick for the most part IMO, rather than curling into a ball. Everything would change.
    agreed
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited May 2019
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Sure, I agree, if you are talking about like a quarter of the population.  At most.
    If the power is truly out, and society really breaks down...yeah, 9 out of 10 people are going to perish in the first 5 years.  
    Most people wouldn't make it out of a major metro, they would be trapped and fall prey to depravity.  What are people going to eat?  I would struggle mightily to eat and I have a farm.
    Canned goods are gone in the first few weeks, dried provisions in the first few months. 
    Yes, like I said, society would collapse. I was just talking about how people would adapt specifically to having no electronics. They wouldn't be bemoaning that stuff; they'd go into survival mode. That of course doesn't mean that they'd all survive. However, I don't think 9 out of 10 would die within 5 years. More than 10% of the population would make it for sure. Also, technology/power would make a come back at some point. It's not like all knowledge and skill would disappear along with the power. But of course, it would be fucking horrific - a real deadly shit show. But again, humans are adaptable. I do not believe society would devolve into a permanent Mad Max situation, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

yeah, but this has nothing to do with modern electronics. the type of person that can survive after an earth altering event mostly died long before we even had tv. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

yeah, but this has nothing to do with modern electronics. the type of person that can survive after an earth altering event mostly died long before we even had tv. 
    How's that? I know loads of people with great survival skills. :confused:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

How's that? I know loads of people with great survival skills. :confused:
    doubtful if we're talking about a REAL cataclysmic event. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Many people would yes, many would not do so well.  I'm sure I've mentioned this before but in case not- your scenario is the basis for James Howard Kunstler's excellent quartet of book, the World Made By Hand series.  I'm not such a big fan of Kunster's blog any more but those books and the previous The Long Emergency are excellent books on this topic.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

If the power grid were to suffer a complete failure, it wouldn't alter the Earth (for the worse anyways lol) but it would destroy modern civilization for quite a long time.
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, like I said, society would collapse. I was just talking about how people would adapt specifically to having no electronics. They wouldn't be bemoaning that stuff; they'd go into survival mode. That of course doesn't mean that they'd all survive. However, I don't think 9 out of 10 would die within 5 years. More than 10% of the population would make it for sure. Also, technology/power would make a come back at some point. It's not like all knowledge and skill would disappear along with the power. But of course, it would be fucking horrific - a real deadly shit show. But again, humans are adaptable. I do not believe society would devolve into a permanent Mad Max situation, lol.
    No, not permanent, but long enough for billions to starve. 
    Food would be a real problem in Western civs.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    This is really surprising that a thread about cursive writing is now a survivalist thread...that never happens here on the AMT...never.  LOL

If you can build shelter, make fire and hunt and fish for your own food...then you can survive.  Just not a lot of people who can perform these skills consistently enough to survive...

In the event of a nuclear war, well the food supply will be contaminated..so we all going to die anyways... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2019
    This is really surprising that a thread about cursive writing is now a survivalist thread...that never happens here on the AMT...never.  LOL

If you can build shelter, make fire and hunt and fish for your own food...then you can survive.  Just not a lot of people who can perform these skills consistently enough to survive...

In the event of a nuclear war, well the food supply will be contaminated..so we all going to die anyways... 
    Diverting from the main topic? Yeah, that never happens here, haha!

Question is, how many people would survive by hunting and gathering in this modern age.  Depends on where you live.  The population of North America is 4 or 5 hundred million people.  I don't know that there is enough wildlife to feed that many people.  Without agriculture, many would starve. (Plus, the wildlife would be decimated in not time.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

If the power grid were to suffer a complete failure, it wouldn't alter the Earth (for the worse anyways lol) but it would destroy modern civilization for quite a long time.
    if we're talking just power, no, you are correct (and Soul's friends would most likely be the survivors they say they are). I was talking something like nuclear war. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

Question is, how many people would survive by hunting and gathering in this modern age.  Depends on where you live.  The population of North America is 4 or 5 hundred million people.  I don't know that there is enough wildlife to feed that many people.  Without agriculture, many would starve. (Plus, the wildlife would be decimated in not time.)
    not to mention how much of the resources (hunted wildlife) would be wasted from people knowing how to hunt but not knowing how to harvest everything that can be harvested properly. 

"hey, we can put these antlers on the front of our car"
    "our car has no gas, idiot, what about the fur?"
    "damn, I used that when I went to the washroom, sorry"
    "shit, cletus, now we're all going to freeze to death"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

not to mention how much of the resources (hunted wildlife) would be wasted from people knowing how to hunt but not knowing how to harvest everything that can be harvested properly. 

LOL

At some point, the taboo subject of cannibalism might come into play.  I mention that not out of fondness for the subject, but from having recently read a book called Desperate Passage, a book about the Donner Party. In that book, author Ethan Rarick takes a few pages to talk about how cannibalism has occurred more often than many realize, especially in situations where, faced with starvation in a survival situation, many times people have consumed those who did not survive in order for themselves to survive.  It's a fascinating but unsettling subject.  I told my wife about what I'd read and she said (in all seriousness), "If we were in a survival situation and I died, I hope you would use my body in order to survive."  I changed the subject very quickly. 

edited May 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

LOL

At some point, the taboo subject of cannibalism might come into play.  I mention that not out of fondness for the subject, but from having recently read a book called Desperate Passage, a book about the Donner Party. In that book, author Ethan Rarick takes a few pages to talk about how cannibalism has occurred more often than many realize, especially in situations where, faced with starvation in a survival situation, many times people have consumed those who did not survive in order for themselves to survive.  It's a fascinating but unsettling subject.  I told my wife about what I'd read and she said (in all seriousness), "If we were in a survival situation and I died, I hope you would use my body in order to survive."  I changed the subject very quickly. 
    as long as you aren't killing someone/purposely letting them die for the purpose of eating them, I honestly don't understand why it's such a taboo subject (other than the ick factor). once you are dead, you are nothing but flesh, flesh that can be used for other purposes for those still living. I don't see it as a moral issue at all. 

but cursive? jesus, cursive must be saved! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

LOL

as long as you aren't killing someone/purposely letting them die for the purpose of eating them, I honestly don't understand why it's such a taboo subject (other than the ick factor). once you are dead, you are nothing but flesh, flesh that can be used for other purposes for those still living. I don't see it as a moral issue at all. 

but cursive? jesus, cursive must be saved! 
    I honestly don't know if I would eat human flesh to survive.  I can't imagine doing so, but I've never experienced starvation.

I wonder if cursive is edible?

edited May 2019

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

LOL

There are a lot of movies that assume people would resort to joining roaving cannibal hoards that actually hunt and kill other people if society broke down... I'm really not sure if this is a realistic idea or not. Of course I know cannibalism itself is realistic, a la The Donner Party and the rugby team, but would folks actually go around hunting people for food?? I mean, there are a lot of places in the world that have experienced a lot of death due to starvation in our life times. I never really heard about those starving people going around and killing others in order to eat them.
    FTR, I'm happy to become dinner for others who need food, but only if they don't actually slaughter me for the meat! I agree with HFD - I don't understand why anyone would hesitate to eat human flesh (from those who died) if the alternative is starving to death. I can't quite work out why this is such a troublesome idea for so many people.
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

LOL

There are a lot of movies that assume people would resort to joining roaving cannibal hoards that actually hunt and kill other people if society broke down... I'm really not sure if this is a realistic idea or not. Of course I know cannibalism itself is realistic, a la The Donner Party and the rugby team, but would folks actually go around hunting people for food?? I mean, there are a lot of places in the world that have experienced a lot of death due to starvation in our life times. I never really heard about those starving people going around and killing others in order to eat them.
    FTR, I'm happy to become dinner for others who need food, but only if they don't actually slaughter me for the meat!
    Rarick talks about how in the days of traveling across the oceans having to be done by large sailing ships, wrecks occurred more often and survivors stuck on row boats or desert Islands would sometime draw lots to see who would be killed for food.  It was an unsettling section of the book, for sure.  

edited May 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

LOL

FTR, I'm happy to become dinner for others who need food, but only if they don't actually slaughter me for the meat!
    Rarick talks about how in the days of traveling across the oceans having to be done by large sailing ships, wrecks occurred more often and survivors stuck on row boats or desert Islands would sometime draw lots to see who would be killed for food.  It was an unsettling section of the book, for sure.  
    Well at least it's kind of democratic that way, lol. I mean, in that situation, dying sooner rather than later would likely be a blessing. Some might even volunteer! Although how did they then kill the person who lost the game?? (I would suggest wrist slitting, as you want to drain the blood from any slaughtered animal you're going to eat. Sorry, ick but true).
    I wouldn't have a moral issue to it, but I don't know if I could eat a human to survive. I'd obviously have to be put into that situation to truly know the answer to that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I wouldn't have a moral issue to it, but I don't know if I could eat a human to survive. I'd obviously have to be put into that situation to truly know the answer to that. 
    I'd eat anything edible to survive. I just wouldn't kill a person to make that happen.
    From cursive hand writing to cannibalism.  I think we've outdone ourselves here, haha!

brianlux said:
    From cursive hand writing to cannibalism.  I think we've outdone ourselves here, haha!
    :lol:
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:
    How about another leap? Human composting! My state's legislature just passed a human composting bill, and will make us the first state to allow that as an alternative to burial or cremation. Instead of dying and being a burden on the environment and nature, humans can feed it. We can have a positive impact after years of our negative impact. I know that's the option I'll be choosing. 

Washington Will Likely Be First State to Allow ‘Human Composting’ as a Burial Method
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:
    How about another leap? Human composting! My state's legislature just passed a human composting bill, and will make us the first state to allow that as an alternative to burial or cremation. Instead of dying and being a burden on the environment and nature, humans can feed it. We can have a positive impact after years of our negative impact. I know that's the option I'll be choosing. 

Washington Will Likely Be First State to Allow ‘Human Composting’ as a Burial Method
    I don't understand why this is even controversial, assuming everyone is doing it in safe burial sites (we don't want rotting people in the ground water, lol). How this isn't already legal in all states or across Canada is beyond me.
    Also, I feel like people should be free to scatter ashes wherever the hell they like, as long as it's not on someone else's private property.
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:

I love it!  There was another thread (either her or on the Hoffman forums) about this and someone mentioned Bio Urns and Tree Pod burials where you become food for a tree.  The problem with that for me is what if a relative or loved one tends your tree and they don't have a green thumb and the tree dies.  Think of the possible guilt and sorrow!  Compost, on the other hand will feed literally billions of microbes and can become food for a whole garden or soil in a forest.  I love the idea!
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:

I don't understand why this is even controversial, assuming everyone is doing it in safe burial sites (we don't want rotting people in the ground water, lol). How this isn't already legal in all states or across Canada is beyond me.
    Also, I feel like people should be free to scatter ashes wherever the hell they like, as long as it's not on someone else's private property.
    Agreed!

when I die, i want to be a tree. 

"if you were a tree, what tree would you be?" will now be a question to be asked in a will. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited May 2019
    Damn...now we are on to cannibalism.  Nope, I draw the line at eating humans...jeesh gotta have some boundaries.  Do not underestimate people's ability to survive under difficult circumstances...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:

I read an article in the NYT about this a few weeks back. To me, it sounds like a fine idea, but when the reporter asked people how they felt about the hypothetical scenario of a loved one being composted, almost everyone was pretty skeeved out. Most people said they wanted nothing to do with soil made from their loved one. Some people who thought it might be okay to have the compost to plant a tree in, for instance, said it would have to be a non-fruit bearing tree, because they couldn't stomach the idea of having fruit grown from their loved one's remains. Almost no-one was agreeable to having it used for public areas, etc. It seems this may be a harder sell than I had first thought. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Personally, in my will I have opted for green burial, which means that I would be buried without any embalming in a compostable cloth bag or thin wooden box, and allowed to compost that way. Takes more space than human composting, though. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf