Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Dude, if you're actually low income, you're not paying THAT much in taxes. Do you expect everything for free or what?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
    Those maps are horrifying, but I don't see why that would be assumed to be the Trudeau effect. I guarantee you that turning from red to orange in BC had nothing whatsoever to do with Trudeau. And it seems to me that it also had nothing to do with it in Alberta, Ontario, or Quebec either (I don't know enough about the rest). That right there is the kind of political propaganda that I HATE.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    why did they use a pic of Trudeau that looks like he just came in from the rain? HAHA. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    We could post a similar map as to the changes in governments in Europe over that time period. I guess Trudeau is responsible for that as well? Hell, he’s probably meddling in the Indian election right now!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

LOL...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    He didn't really think Tokyo was in China?
    my2hands said:
    He didn't really think Tokyo was in China?
    Nope. That dump post makes no sense.

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2019
    Another dumb, uninformed, bullshit meme. Yay.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Just as SNC Lavelin is fading, another Trudeau scandal is about to take centre stage.  How many MPs is this now that has turned against Trudeau...he was not ready, he never will be ready...time to send him back to being a part-time nothing...
    Give Peas A Chance…

The Chinese have bullying Canada ever since we arrested that Meng...so what does any tough leader, keeps giving those assholes in China money for some scam that claims to be a bank?  and some of the money is to build pipelines.  So building pipelines in other coutries is OK...but not OK in Canada.

Kinda like Alberta?BC dispute:

BC...we don't want your oil.

Alberta...we won't sell you any oil and gas

BCF...we will sue you Alberta so you will sell us oil and gas

Rest of Canada...WTF BC, followed by people LTFAO
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2019
    Seriously, you really don't understand the BC pipeline issue if you actually think that dumb point you're making is accurate.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

From a US point of view is puzzling watching Canada turn far right during the Trump Wall years. I've read about Trudeau's political crisis and in the context of living under the Trump regime I have difficulty grasping the scandal 

Do our friends to the north want to go full school conservative and play Russian roulette with their healthcare and environment?
    LOL.  What do his handlers do?  

Give Peas A Chance…
    Colby Cosh: Why Justin Trudeau's French elicits howls of rage
    https://nationalpost.com/opinion/colby-cosh-why-justin-trudeaus-french-elicits-howls-of-rage

You'd think the fraud could speak his 1st language properly...lol

Of course, he was a part-time drama teacher...not a French teacher.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    https://nationalpost.com/opinion/colby-cosh-why-justin-trudeaus-french-elicits-howls-of-rage

Sometimes I wonder if you even read the articles that you post; actually read them, like all the way to the end. If you did, it doesn't seem that you understand them, given the conclusions:

For all her talk about ideologies, Bosworth’s real thesis is that this abuse related to Trudeau’s spoken French is a special form of insanity. She and other experts have looked at his French speech very closely. It is, in sonority and other features, identifiably the French of someone raised in Ottawa as a bilingual person. But there is no credible reason for it to be more offensive to the Quebecois ear than an Anglo politician’s. One can even show that Trudeau’s French must have gotten more “authentically” Quebecois during his years in the elite boot camp environment of Collège Brébeuf; he switches between social “registers” in different settings more or less as deftly as a “real” Quebecker with a heap of education would.

Bosworth shows that Anglo politicians, even Quebec Anglos like Thomas Mulcair, get far kinder treatment. The anti-Trudeau hostility from the Quebec press is sometimes nonsensical even on its own terms. No one can agree on whether he speaks Quebec French with an “accent.” When he uses Anglicisms in the same way everyone else in Quebec does, the press points fingers and shouts “Aha!”

It is not too hard to understand what is going on here, even without Bosworth’s guidance. There is not really anything wrong with Trudeau’s Quebec French. He was just born into the deracinated Ottawa bilingual elite, and everyone knows it. There is no excuse for bigotry, but a person like Trudeau is naturally vulnerable to being perceived in Quebec as an infiltrator, a phantom menace, in a way that an unapologetic and strongly-accented Anglo-rights crusader like Mulcair is not.

So the conclusion is that some of the Quebecois press is heaping insult on Trudeau for political reasons that are unrelated to the actual quality of his French. Basically, what you do here. 

Sometimes I wonder if you even read the articles that you post; actually read them, like all the way to the end. If you did, it doesn't seem that you understand them, given the conclusions:

For all her talk about ideologies, Bosworth’s real thesis is that this abuse related to Trudeau’s spoken French is a special form of insanity. She and other experts have looked at his French speech very closely. It is, in sonority and other features, identifiably the French of someone raised in Ottawa as a bilingual person. But there is no credible reason for it to be more offensive to the Quebecois ear than an Anglo politician’s. One can even show that Trudeau’s French must have gotten more “authentically” Quebecois during his years in the elite boot camp environment of Collège Brébeuf; he switches between social “registers” in different settings more or less as deftly as a “real” Quebecker with a heap of education would.

Bosworth shows that Anglo politicians, even Quebec Anglos like Thomas Mulcair, get far kinder treatment. The anti-Trudeau hostility from the Quebec press is sometimes nonsensical even on its own terms. No one can agree on whether he speaks Quebec French with an “accent.” When he uses Anglicisms in the same way everyone else in Quebec does, the press points fingers and shouts “Aha!”

It is not too hard to understand what is going on here, even without Bosworth’s guidance. There is not really anything wrong with Trudeau’s Quebec French. He was just born into the deracinated Ottawa bilingual elite, and everyone knows it. There is no excuse for bigotry, but a person like Trudeau is naturally vulnerable to being perceived in Quebec as an infiltrator, a phantom menace, in a way that an unapologetic and strongly-accented Anglo-rights crusader like Mulcair is not.

So the conclusion is that some of the Quebecois press is heaping insult on Trudeau for political reasons that are unrelated to the actual quality of his French. Basically, what you do here. 

this is getting embarrassing. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Love your mascot Victoria...lol

I see you are finally getting around to treating your raw sewage...yeah, yeah...save me the company line that the current is so strong that it doesn't matter...despite evidence to the contrary.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Love your mascot Victoria...lol

I see you are finally getting around to treating your raw sewage...yeah, yeah...save me the company line that the current is so strong that it doesn't matter...despite evidence to the contrary.
    :lol:

I bet you searched and searched to find something to take a dig at me because I keep calling out your bs. 
    edited May 2019
    :lol: ^^^ I'm sure that is true - that's what I thought when I saw the post too. 

But speaking of pee and poo mascots, Vancouver has its own two new mascots, aptly named Pee and Poo. :lol: They are meant to bring awareness to what people should be flushing down the toilet, i.e., basically nothing other than Pee and Poo and TP, lol. 

Meet Poo and Pee. Metro Vancouver introduces mascots in campaign against improper flushing

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pee-poo-costumes-1.5119107

PJ_Soul said:
    :lol: ^^^ I'm sure that is true - that's what I thought when I saw the post too. 

But speaking of pee and poo mascots, Vancouver has its own two new mascots, aptly named Pee and Poo. :lol: They are meant to bring awareness to what people should be flushing down the toilet, i.e., basically nothing other than Pee and Poo and TP, lol. 

Meet Poo and Pee. Metro Vancouver introduces mascots in campaign against improper flushing

they should have called them Number 1 and Number 2. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

Why? That would not be anywhere near as funny. 
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

an homage to Dr Seuss. and I guess being a parent I don't find those words funny anymore. they're just normal everyday words. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

an homage to Dr Seuss. and I guess being a parent I don't find those words funny anymore. they're just normal everyday words. 
    It's not the words that are funny to adults (I think any grown up isn't giggling over them, whether they have children or not). But there is definitely some humour in giant poo and pee mascots actually named pee and poo running around skytrain stations, no?? The blunt simplicity of it is the joke IMO. 
    (I have never heard of a #1 or #2 reference related to Dr. Seuss)
    edited May 2019
    Thing 1 and Thing 2. come on. 

I didn't say it wasn't funny. It was just a comment that obviously went over your head. no need to dissect the shit out of it. LOL
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I didn't say it wasn't funny. It was just a comment that obviously went over your head. no need to dissect the shit out of it. LOL
    Thing 1 and Thing 2? I don't know what that means. 
    PJ_Soul said:

Thing 1 and Thing 2? I don't know what that means. 
    Seriously, you don’t? My goodness.  Not a lot of Seussing in your childhood?