Options

Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,442
    And yes the EH taylor is great. 
    Would like to get some single barrel, but small batch is a nice drink that I wouldn’t pass on. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Bar just got a bottle of Jameson Distiller's Safe in.  Can't wait to try it on Thursday!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2019
    Bar just got a bottle of Jameson Distiller's Safe in.  Can't wait to try it on Thursday!
    Stay out of trouble, you.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    What do you think a solid pour of lagavulin should cost?
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Stay out of trouble, you.
    I just put an entire month of sobriety in.  I'm due for trouble!
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,031
    DavidD said:
    And yes the EH taylor is great. 
    Would like to get some single barrel, but small batch is a nice drink that I wouldn’t pass on. 
    I can tell you both EH Taylor Single Barrel and EH Taylor Barrel Proof are both excellent!  I bought multiple bottles of both a few years back!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    To all you Laphroaig fans, more power to you.  It's so intense, I will have to try it again and see if I can enjoy it, it's so damned intense!
    Going to make it a mission to try Pappy by hell or high water, that price is nuts but.....want to try it.  
    One find I had is an Elijah Craig 12 year single barrel that was local to the store near me.  I ended up buying 6 bottles when it came in.  I've never had a whiskey with a 'dry' finish.  Almost no whiskey kick at the end, it was strange, surprising, delightful.  If you ever share a drink with someone, wanting to see them enjoy it, this has been a go to for me for years as I go through the bottles.  Just a glass, neat, maybe a few drops of water but they take a sip and you see this surprise as if 'wait, what was that??" and they want more!  It's wonderful and I'd love to find another that has such an experience but think that may have been a lottery win of a selection.

Pappy is good but don't go chasing that dragon at the prices they have.

I've been very fortunate to have had a few bottles now but I won't pay stupid prices for them!
    Once a year we get the chance to enter a draw for the BT antique collection and pappy. This is what we get it for. These are in Canadian prices 

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    That will run you an easy $20 in NYC. More at hotel and upscale bars.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    DavidD said:
    To all you Laphroaig fans, more power to you.  It's so intense, I will have to try it again and see if I can enjoy it, it's so damned intense!
    Going to make it a mission to try Pappy by hell or high water, that price is nuts but.....want to try it.  
    One find I had is an Elijah Craig 12 year single barrel that was local to the store near me.  I ended up buying 6 bottles when it came in.  I've never had a whiskey with a 'dry' finish.  Almost no whiskey kick at the end, it was strange, surprising, delightful.  If you ever share a drink with someone, wanting to see them enjoy it, this has been a go to for me for years as I go through the bottles.  Just a glass, neat, maybe a few drops of water but they take a sip and you see this surprise as if 'wait, what was that??" and they want more!  It's wonderful and I'd love to find another that has such an experience but think that may have been a lottery win of a selection.

Pappy is good but don't go chasing that dragon at the prices they have.

I've been very fortunate to have had a few bottles now but I won't pay stupid prices for them!
    Once a year we get the chance to enter a draw for the BT antique collection and pappy. This is what we get it for. These are in Canadian prices 

Nice.  

ISO WLR.  What a fantastic sip it was, yep only a sip I had...
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Yep, around what I expected or a bit more. $37 before tip in a hotel bar in Seattle. Thought that was obnoxious 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Get_Right said:
    Yep, around what I expected or a bit more. $37 before tip in a hotel bar in Seattle. Thought that was obnoxious 
    That is obnoxious, but not unheard of.  Especially if it was a five star hotel like the four seasons, st. regis or ritz carlton.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Once the wife gets done with work today, we're headed to Kentucky to do the Bourbon Trail. Well, maybe not the whole trail, but we're going to a few of the distilleries for tours/tastings. Really excited about this trip!
  • Options
    Once the wife gets done with work today, we're headed to Kentucky to do the Bourbon Trail. Well, maybe not the whole trail, but we're going to a few of the distilleries for tours/tastings. Really excited about this trip!
    Ohhh boy.  That sounds awesome!!!

Hopefully you can pick up some of the hard to find bottles for a good price!.
  • Options
    Sounds fun. 
    Trying to convince my girl to do a nice little road trip of the trail as well. 
    enjoy, and let us know what you score along the way. 
  • Options
    Ohhh boy.  That sounds awesome!!!

Hopefully you can pick up some of the hard to find bottles for a good price!.
    I hope to find some good deals, but don't want to break the bank though.

DavidD said:
    Sounds fun. 
    Trying to convince my girl to do a nice little road trip of the trail as well. 
    enjoy, and let us know what you score along the way. 
    Will do!
  • Options
    Got back from the trip yesterday and had a blast! If you ever get the chance, definitely don't pass it up. We toured and tasted at Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, and Maker's Mark. Did only tastings at Four Roses, Barton 1792, Heaven Hill, Lux Row, Jim Beam, and Old Forester. All of the tours we did were done well. If I had to pick one it would be Woodford as they went more in depth with the process. After 2 or 3, you don't really need to do the tours. The process to make bourbon doesn't change. Really, it's different mash bills and yeast strains that differ among the distilleries. Of the tastings, we really enjoyed Heaven Hill and Old Forester. I'm probably going to start adding their products to my collection. I was kind of worried that my wife wouldn't like the bourbon-centricity of the trip, but luckily she did. She'll still prefer tequila, but can now drink bourbon with me occasionally. 

The whiskeys tasted were
    Woodford: Distiller's Select (name of the regular brand and still my favorite bourbon), Double Oaked, and their Rye
    Four Roses: main label Four Rose's, Small Batch, Single Barrell (favorite from them), and Small Batch Select
    Buffalo Trace: started with their vodka to cleanse the palate, then the White Dog (aka the mash distillate before going into the barrel), Buffalo Trace 4 year, and Eagle Rare 10 year (favorite from them), finally ended with their Bourbon Cream (which mixed with root beer makes an awesome root beer float)
    Maker's Mark: Maker's White (again, the mash distillate), regular Maker's Mark label, Maker's 46, Maker's Cask Strength (favorite from them), Maker's Private Select
    Barton 1792: Very Old Barton, and Small Batch 1792 (favorite from them)
    Heaven Hill: Henry McKenna Single Barrel, William HeavenHill 7th edition, Old Fitzgerald (favorite), Pikesville Rye
    Lux Row: Rebel Yell, Ezra Brooks, David Nicholson Reserve (favorite) 
    Jim Beam: Black label, Double Oak (favorite), and Single Barrel 
    Old Forester: 1870, 1897, 1910, and 1920 (favorite) 

Unfortunately, none of the distilleries really had any deals on their products. That's pretty much because Kentucky state law requires them to sell to distributors then buy it back to sell to the public. If they didn't have to go through that process, the would have been able to have better prices.

In addition to the bourbon, Louisville is a pretty fun city. We also went to a Shaker Village (out in the Lexington/Frankfort area), toured the Louisville Slugger factory, went to the Muhammad Ali Center, toured Churchill Downs, and went to a Louisville Bats (AAA affiliate of the Reds) game.

I posted some of the tours/tastings on Instagram. I use the same handle there that I use here. Feel free to check them out.
  • Options
    Got back from the trip yesterday and had a blast! If you ever get the chance, definitely don't pass it up. We toured and tasted at Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, and Maker's Mark. Did only tastings at Four Roses, Barton 1792, Heaven Hill, Lux Row, Jim Beam, and Old Forester. All of the tours we did were done well. If I had to pick one it would be Woodford as they went more in depth with the process. After 2 or 3, you don't really need to do the tours. The process to make bourbon doesn't change. Really, it's different mash bills and yeast strains that differ among the distilleries. Of the tastings, we really enjoyed Heaven Hill and Old Forester. I'm probably going to start adding their products to my collection. I was kind of worried that my wife wouldn't like the bourbon-centricity of the trip, but luckily she did. She'll still prefer tequila, but can now drink bourbon with me occasionally. 

The whiskeys tasted were
    Woodford: Distiller's Select (name of the regular brand and still my favorite bourbon), Double Oaked, and their Rye
    Four Roses: main label Four Rose's, Small Batch, Single Barrell (favorite from them), and Small Batch Select
    Buffalo Trace: started with their vodka to cleanse the palate, then the White Dog (aka the mash distillate before going into the barrel), Buffalo Trace 4 year, and Eagle Rare 10 year (favorite from them), finally ended with their Bourbon Cream (which mixed with root beer makes an awesome root beer float)
    Maker's Mark: Maker's White (again, the mash distillate), regular Maker's Mark label, Maker's 46, Maker's Cask Strength (favorite from them), Maker's Private Select
    Heaven Hill: Henry McKenna Single Barrel, William HeavenHill 7th edition, Old Fitzgerald (favorite), Pikesville Rye

Unfortunately, none of the distilleries really had any deals on their products. That's pretty much because Kentucky state law requires them to sell to distributors then buy it back to sell to the public. If they didn't have to go through that process, the would have been able to have better prices.

In addition to the bourbon, Louisville is a pretty fun city. We also went to a Shaker Village (out in the Lexington/Frankfort area), toured the Louisville Slugger factory, went to the Muhammad Ali Center, toured Churchill Downs, and went to a Louisville Bats (AAA affiliate of the Reds) game.

I posted some of the tours/tastings on Instagram. I use the same handle there that I use here. Feel free to check them out.
    Saw a few of your pics; looks like it was a fun little tour!  I've been to Lexington and Louisville twice each, but was just passing through every time and didn't have time to stop.  I'd love to tour the Slugger factory and get my own personal bat made!
  • Options

The whiskeys tasted were

Saw a few of your pics; looks like it was a fun little tour!  I've been to Lexington and Louisville twice each, but was just passing through every time and didn't have time to stop.  I'd love to tour the Slugger factory and get my own personal bat made!
    Yeah, it was a lot of fun. The Slugger tour was cool, but even better was seeing some of the template models and holding game used bats (I got to hold a Mickey Mantle, Cal Ripken Jr, and Ronald Acuna bat). Looking at some of the pictures my wife took, they also had a Hank Aaron bat that I didn't see...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954

The whiskeys tasted were

I was there a few weeks back for the Tool concert and went on the Evan Williams tour.  That was really well done.  

It really pissed me off when we got to the samples.  The lady next to me got about twice as much to sample as I did in each of her shot glasses....skank only drank a few sips from each one.  Seriously....who leaves free whiskey on the table?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

• Options
    Chug chug chug chug chug!!  (Just to watch the Van Winkle afficionados lose their minds!)
  • Options
    The wife got me a scotch of the month thing for father's day.  Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Chug chug chug chug chug!!  (Just to watch the Van Winkle afficionados lose their minds!)
    He’s probably on the 23 yo pappy now. Lol
    The wife got me a scotch of the month thing for father's day.  Looking forward to it.
    Oooohhhh, sounds tasty. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    DavidD said:

So the Whiskey snobs will tell you that "this isn't a bottle of Pappy".

Just relaying the message so don't shoot me.

Lot B 12yo is just that and not Pappy.

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 is just that and not Pappy.

Van Winkle Rye is just that... You get it now right?

Some of the groups I'm in really love to berate the people that call ANYTHING other than it's proper name.  Drives me nuts, I get it, but drives me nuts.

PS this is a bottle of "Rye".
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    Good thing is the Van Winkle snobs can't argue the caption for that pic.
  • Options
    They could.  It's a rye and not a whiskey but it is a VanWinkle.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Rye is a type of whiskey. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Rye is a type of whiskey. 
    yes it is.
  • Options
    DavidD said:

So the Whiskey snobs will tell you that "this isn't a bottle of Pappy".

Just relaying the message so don't shoot me.

Lot B 12yo is just that and not Pappy.

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 is just that and not Pappy.

Van Winkle Rye is just that... You get it now right?

Some of the groups I'm in really love to berate the people that call ANYTHING other than it's proper name.  Drives me nuts, I get it, but drives me nuts.

PS this is a bottle of "Rye".
    I know it’s not a bottle of pappy. Just figured he would be on to the pappy after the van winkle. 
    Either way it makes me thirsty lol. 
  • Options
    They could.  It's a rye and not a whiskey but it is a VanWinkle.
    It’s a van winkle rye whiskey.  ;)