Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Not sure why anyone would buy government weed??  

Because they like their weed safe and not the variety grown in a bath tub by shitbirds with chunks of fentanyl interspersed in it.
    this. the lack of anxiety alone is worth the price. and honestly, I guess the prices of street weed in winnipeg are not in line with the rest of the country. I'm honestly not paying much more legally than I did illegally. 
    And I assume it is the case in Canada, but we have much more information about the legal weed we're buying. When I used to buy from "a guy" I had no idea what strain I was getting, sometimes knew who grew it, didn't know anything about the potency, no testing, etc... With legal weed we have full information from seed to sale. Where it was grown, who grew it, any pesticides, strain, potency, etc... So full product information along with the peace of mind and convenience (no calling "a guy" and setting up "a meet") makes the choice for legal weed a no-brainer.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    jeffbr said:

Not sure why anyone would buy government weed??  

Because they like their weed safe and not the variety grown in a bath tub by shitbirds with chunks of fentanyl interspersed in it.
    this. the lack of anxiety alone is worth the price. and honestly, I guess the prices of street weed in winnipeg are not in line with the rest of the country. I'm honestly not paying much more legally than I did illegally. 
    And I assume it is the case in Canada, but we have much more information about the legal weed we're buying. When I used to buy from "a guy" I had no idea what strain I was getting, sometimes knew who grew it, didn't know anything about the potency, no testing, etc... With legal weed we have full information from seed to sale. Where it was grown, who grew it, any pesticides, strain, potency, etc... So full product information along with the peace of mind and convenience (no calling "a guy" and setting up "a meet") makes the choice for legal weed a no-brainer.
    totally. I've been smoking for 30 years, and it was only when it became legal that I knew there were certain strains that had certain effects, and I could pick and choose depending on activity. I love it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I am low income.  So the cost of Cannabis plays into my thought process.  I am a medicinal user and my supplier carries a product for 3.99/g, it is their compassionate pricing on this product.  If they did not have compassionate pricing I would grow my own or get mine through a dealer...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited April 2019
    I am low income.  So the cost of Cannabis plays into my thought process.  I am a medicinal user and my supplier carries a product for 3.99/g, it is their compassionate pricing on this product.  If they did not have compassionate pricing I would grow my own or get mine through a dealer...
    wth $4/g wow.  its always been $8-15/g since the 90s for the areas ive been in.. Atlantic and Ont.... 
    Post edited by Nami on
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Looks looks like another provincial election has gone Conservative in PEI. 
    Wonder if this is a sign for the federal election or if the Conservative provincial powers will be balanced by a federal Liberal government again.
    was reading an article today about Scheer's leadership ability within the Cons and how he is being overshadowed by his provincial counterparts
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    edited April 2019
    NFLD is also voting in May and I guess the PCs and Liberals are close?

I think Trudeau is damaging the liberal brand.  When Trudeau came to power, 8 provinces were lead by liberals and only 1 remains, there were 7 female premiers, now there is none.

As for Sheer, we will have to wait until October, this will be his first campaign as party leader.

It would not surprise me that he is overshadowed by Ford (Ontario), Kenney (Alberta)...those 2 have big personalities and it shows.

The Greens in PEI made major inroads, let's see if they can build upon that or will the liberals choose a new a leader and put the greens back in 3rd in the next election?
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…

The Tory victory on the Island represents the latest in a series of gains for right-leaning parties, including wins in Alberta, Quebec, New Brunswick and Ontario -- all within the last year.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Look more broadly. The shift to the right is occurring across the world. People flee to conservatism when they are frightened, and right now people are frightened about two main things - "the other", the increase in migrants and refugees that is occurring around the world, and the degradation of the planet due to climate change. Of course, the two are linked, because climate change is one of the drivers for migration. People fear the change this brings, but conservatives tell people that they don't have to change - they don't have to allow those frightening people in, and they don't have to believe the "fake news" of climate change. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Yes, people on the right are so afraid.  No, people are sick of fucking taxes.  Have you ever walked in the shoes of someone that is working, financially responsible and still has trouble making ends meet...and along come to the government, let's increase taxes and put more pressure on people in tough situations...holy shit, get out of your selfish fucking bubble...there are people, and lots of them struggling without the left wing parties raising people's taxes just because climate barbie and turdo have a BS agenda...

By the way, people have changed.  No climate tax in Ontario, 22reductionon in GHG...there are other ways to reduce GHG beside a carbon tax.  And we are not paying 1.73-2.00/l for gas...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    It's well established that people who are conservative are more fearful/more cautious. That's part of the definition of "conservative", and well supported by research. Not much point in arguing whether it's true or not.

And why on earth would you think you're the only one who has been working and making ends meet? Who's in the bubble, then?
    They are the same liberals that got it so wrong when measuring the emission from the oil sands.  And the liberal sheep will follow a Trudeau to the carbon tax.  When is that clown going to sacrifice?  How many vacations and unnecessary flights does he take? Liberals are hypocrites.  The carbon tax is for the lazy elitest so they can actually believe they are making a difference...LMFAO
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Elitist  is the word of the day, then? Seems kind of lazy to keep using it. 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Elitist checking in. How come we aren't railing against the Swedes in this thread too?
    I guess I'm not elitist. I'm from central canada. no elitist prairie folk. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Why hasn't the government banned bottled water, if they were that concerned?  How come they continue to allow Nestle to pillage our lakes if they were that concerned...The only the trudope is concerned with is how to make 300 grand and take as many taxpayer-funded vacations as possible...the gig is up...people are seeing through that phony...he just like his old, Fidel or Pierre...LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
    How about the GST on the carbon tax...LMFAO.  Tax on Tax...government is for the sleepy...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    if you think trudeau came up with tax on tax, you might want to look just a tad deeper. my hydro bill has had federal tax on the municipal tax forever....under all governments. keep LYFAO, but until you suggest something positive, you're just another blanket liberal hater with little substance. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    god damn Canada, toughen up.  Even the philippines thinks they can take you:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/24/asia/duterte-canada-trash-intl/index.html

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has threatened to "go to war" with Canada if the country doesn't take back tons of trash a Canada-based company had shipped to Manila several years ago.

"I'll give a warning to Canada maybe next week that they better pull that (trash) out," he said Tuesday, according to CNN Philippines. "We'll declare war against them, we can handle them anyway."
    According to CNN Philippines, 103 containers holding 2,450 tons of trash were shipped to the Philippines in 2013 and 2014. 
    The containers were labeled as plastics for recycling, but inspectors in Philippines found the garbage was not recyclable. The trash was declared illegal as the private Canada-based company responsible for shipping the cargo didn't have import clearances. 
      Some of the containers are still at the port of Manila, according to the report.
      The issue of global waste and what to do with it has become a growing problem. For years, developed countries have shipped recyclable waste overseas for processing, bu that is now beginning to change. 
      Last year, China moved to ban "foreign garbage" as a way to reduce environmental damage. The restrictions have reportedly led to recycling waste piling up in developed countries with nowhere to send it.
      "I cannot understand why they are making us a dump site" said Duterte, who warned that he would sail to Canada and dump the trash there himself, adding: "The garbage is coming home."
        The Philippines has been calling on Canada for years to repatriate its trash. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in the past that he was "very much engaged in finding a solution" to the dumped waste.
        Duterte often uses bombastic statements. Earlier this month, for instance, he threatened to send his troops on a "suicide mission" if Beijing didn't "lay off" a Manila-occupied island in the South China Sea.
        I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
        dignin said:
        Elitist checking in. How come we aren't railing against the Swedes in this thread too?
        Hey, what makes you think you can be elitist? You’re not from the west coast! 
        Check the wonderful job that the country does at recycling...

Maybe we should figure that shit out.

Give Peas A Chance…
        Must be a frustrating world for many of you if you are only interested in people who agree with you and are on same the political spectrum as you.  Sorry, I'm far from the only one who disagrees about carbon taxes and their effectiveness as evidenced that every province from Alberta to NB has installed governments opposed to carbon taxes (-Quebec).  
        Give Peas A Chance…

LOL
        Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
        Yes, people on the right are so afraid.  No, people are sick of fucking taxes.  Have you ever walked in the shoes of someone that is working, financially responsible and still has trouble making ends meet...and along come to the government, let's increase taxes and put more pressure on people in tough situations...holy shit, get out of your selfish fucking bubble...there are people, and lots of them struggling without the left wing parties raising people's taxes just because climate barbie and turdo have a BS agenda...

By the way, people have changed.  No climate tax in Ontario, 22reductionon in GHG...there are other ways to reduce GHG beside a carbon tax.  And we are not paying 1.73-2.00/l for gas...
        So, what you’re saying is that the former Liberal government of Ontario under Wynn did a good job in reducing greenhouse gas emissions? Good for them!
      • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
        dignin said:
        I think being an elitist is bigger than geography, it's about what's in your heart.
        Must be a frustrating world for many of you if you are only interested in people who agree with you and are on same the political spectrum as you.  Sorry, I'm far from the only one who disagrees about carbon taxes and their effectiveness as evidenced that every province from Alberta to NB has installed governments opposed to carbon taxes (-Quebec).  
        not frustrating at all. none of us have an issue with disagreement. I would imagine it should be painfully obvious to anyone who is on a political forum that if you have a problem with disagreement, you shouldn't be here. 

it's just difficult to discuss anything with someone is so incredibly negative about absolutely everything that is being discussed, making up childish names for public figures, posting meme after meme, mocking other posters for their views, etc. 

and then it always eventually turns around to "echo chamber" bullshit that is such an incredibly weak argument. 
        Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dignin said:
        dignin said:
        I think being an elitist is bigger than geography, it's about what's in your heart.

Wear that elitist badge proudly! It isn't an insult if you really are better ;)
        dignin said:
        dignin said:

Wear that elitist badge proudly! It isn't an insult if you really are better ;)
        LOL
        Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
        edited April 2019

I work and am financially responsible and have trouble making ends meet (I live alone in Vancouver FFS), and I am happy to pay taxes as long as the government uses them well. I think you're the one in a bubble if you think no people who struggle are fiscally liberal/left. I know TONS of people who fit into those two slots. I think the difference is not our struggles. It's out attitudes about what's most important, and how much we're willing to contribute to what matters in terms of the community and society and the environment, because they realize that that is important to their own well-being in the long run as well, and to the well-being of others who struggle even more.
        Post edited by PJ_Soul on
        With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Here is the new simplified tax form...makes things much easier...
        Give Peas A Chance…