Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    my2hands said:
    Hi! said:
    One person said Biden’s advisers are also considering an early event in Charlottesville, Virginia, the site of a deadly clash between white supremacists and counterprotesters in 2017. The location would be intended to draw a contrast between Biden and President Donald Trump, who initially said there were some “very fine people on both sides” of the violent confrontation.
    Brilliant move
    Yup. Instead of dividing people he is going to bring them together...and inappropriately touch them while smelling their hair
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    my2hands said:
    Hi! said:
    One person said Biden’s advisers are also considering an early event in Charlottesville, Virginia, the site of a deadly clash between white supremacists and counterprotesters in 2017. The location would be intended to draw a contrast between Biden and President Donald Trump, who initially said there were some “very fine people on both sides” of the violent confrontation.
    Brilliant move
    Yes, but kind of PR-tacky.
    It is...but not quite “bring the women who accused your opponent’s husband of sexual assault and sit them in the front row” tacky
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Hi! said:
    Brilliant move
    absolutely not

Kind of the polar opposite of Reagan opening his 80 campaign in Selma,  talking about states rights. 
    Philadelphia, Mississippi.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804

HAPPY EASTER COMRADES!!!

I will be celebrating the Holiday with a menu of...

Borscht

Beef Stroganoff

Sweet And Sour Cabbage

Solyanka Soup

And for dessert? Morozhenoe (Russian Ice Cream)

Have a safe and Happy Holiday!

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020

HAPPY EASTER COMRADES!!!

I will be celebrating the Holiday with a menu of...

Borscht

Beef Stroganoff

Sweet And Sour Cabbage

Solyanka Soup

And for dessert? Morozhenoe (Russian Ice Cream)

Have a safe and Happy Holiday!

Borscht is the best.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    my2hands said:
    Hi! said:
    Brilliant move
    It is...but not quite “bring the women who accused your opponent’s husband of sexual assault and sit them in the front row” tacky
    True. And sniffing hair in public isn't quite groping and sexually assaulting woman through out all of your life.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    my2hands said:
    Hi! said:
    Brilliant move
    True. And sniffing hair in public isn't quite groping and sexually assaulting woman through out all of your life.
    And how does one know it's sniffing? That's just putting on the worst possible spin.  Trump admits his assualt freely. 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Hi! said:
    Brilliant move
    absolutely not

Kind of the polar opposite of Reagan opening his 80 campaign in Selma,  talking about states rights. 
    Philadelphia, Mississippi.
    Ah yes,  you're correct.  
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Pete is attacking Bernie. Know your fucking place padawan.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

Both Trump and Sanders have very clearly made moves to embrace populism. I also think your definition of 'attack' is out to lunch. That was a reasonable stating of an opinion.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    On Fox News' Town Hall, he was obnoxious and arrogant. I don't see him as someone with the ability to unite a country that so desperately needs uniting.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

Both Trump and Sanders have very clearly made moves to embrace populism. I also think your definition of 'attack' is out to lunch. That was a reasonable stating of an opinion.
    What is Bernie doing that is embracing populism?
  • Options
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    On Fox News' Town Hall, he was obnoxious and arrogant. I don't see him as someone with the ability to unite a country that so desperately needs uniting.
    This whole "uniting/healing the country" that is so popular to throw out, me thinks is just an empty slogan without any substance. It's as shallow as "MAGA".

Do not have a racist POS in office who breeds hatred and encourage fringe right-winged groups and you will be back to whatever your normal is. This magic unifying that pundits and others keep on rambling about how important it is I don't think you will get with person X instead of Bernie in the White House.
  • Options
    benjs said:

What is Bernie doing that is embracing populism?
    From Merriam-Webster's definition of populist: "a member of a political party claiming to represent the common people". You're seriously going to ask me for details of how Bernie Sanders exemplifies that? It's practically his entire raison d'être. 

EV
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109

Guy is super smart. Like him more and more 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    This whole "uniting/healing the country" that is so popular to throw out, me thinks is just an empty slogan without any substance. It's as shallow as "MAGA".

Do not have a racist POS in office who breeds hatred and encourage fringe right-winged groups and you will be back to whatever your normal is. This magic unifying that pundits and others keep on rambling about how important it is I don't think you will get with person X instead of Bernie in the White House.
    Did I say anything about election slogans? I'm not calling for a slogan, I'm calling for action, and I'm saying that Bernie's words and actions that he exhibits regularly are almost as unlikely to unite the splintered country as Trump's. Think about the political spectrum in the US. I don't think Sanders is going to exhibit any ability to reach voters right of center with his policies, and I honestly think he'll even scare away some center-left voters. 

On not having a racist head of state, that's necessary but not sufficient. This isn't about where you stand on the spectrum, it's about facts that you have two major cohorts of voters that can't even agree on their fundamental values, and that lack of unity is regularly exploited by politicians to weaponize each others' words and create more extreme polarity in the country, rarely to anyone's benefit but the candidate.

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    I missed that.  Doesn't sound good.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited April 2019

I very much like Buttigieg from what I've heard him say but I find it hard to get excited about him being able to win because his chances of winning are so slim.  I have zero problem with him being gay but this country is still too ignorant and biased for that to happen.  Maybe in another 20 years.  Maybe.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

Here you go, my friend! Hopefully I'm in the minority in my opinion and others have faith that I don't. I'm still digging Mayor Pete's pragmatism and balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ozAACcc8I

EV
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

It was like he came there ready to fight Fox News. So he took all questions like an attack (which they might have been). But yeah. He had the crowd on his side though. Which makes it kind of fun to watch.
  • Options
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

Did I say anything about election slogans? I'm not calling for a slogan, I'm calling for action, and I'm saying that Bernie's words and actions that he exhibits regularly are almost as unlikely to unite the splintered country as Trump's. Think about the political spectrum in the US. I don't think Sanders is going to exhibit any ability to reach voters right of center with his policies, and I honestly think he'll even scare away some center-left voters. 

On not having a racist head of state, that's necessary but not sufficient. This isn't about where you stand on the spectrum, it's about facts that you have two major cohorts of voters that can't even agree on their fundamental values, and that lack of unity is regularly exploited by politicians to weaponize each others' words and create more extreme polarity in the country, rarely to anyone's benefit but the candidate.
    There are also a lot of HRC supporters who found him to be divisive in his later rhetoric in the primary campaign and though he did not have a chance of getting the needed votes, he stayed in the race until the Convention which caused the Democratic Party to be split instead of united. He has pledged that he is staying in till the Convention this time also which I find to be egotistical as it is not good for the country. 

Hillary couldn't turn to her campaign against Trump in full until after the Convention as she had to compete with Sanders up to the Summer wasting money and momentum with Trump, and possibly a stop in those battleground states. Instead of getting out when it was obvious he wasn't gonna have enough states, he fed off of his crowds much like Trump does and kept them so whipped up that a lot of them voted third party or not at all. Or they kept him whipped up. Or it was mutual. In any case, he was all about his supporters and not the Democratic Party as a whole. He had disdain for it, which is not really good when you're running as a fake Democrat.

Sanders is not a unifying figure in a lot of people's opinions. 
  • Options
    I hate when Pete starts a sentence with "Well... I remember this one time when I was in Afghanistan..." 
  • Options
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited April 2019
    Wtf? Wow, lol. At least he’s keeping his hands busy.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    brianlux said:

I very much like Buttigieg from what I've heard him say but I find it hard to get excited about him being able to win because his chances of winning are so slim.  I have zero problem with him being gay but this country is still too ignorant and biased for that to happen.  Maybe in another 20 years.  Maybe.
    I don’t think being gay would hurt him. A black guy won. A woman just about won. Why not a gay guy? I think the country is more than ready for that. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    You do realize that the US has had plenty of democratic president's?  Yet, not 1 have brought in universal healthcare.  As far as I'm concerned the single greatest achievement a government can do is at least provide basic health for her citizens...most Democrats do not believe in social programs...they like the republicans enjoy having there pockets lined by the insurance lobby
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.