Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    mrussel1 said:
    I think a solid and well rounded 30 year old would make a much more appealing candidate, to me, than a 78 year old.
    However, one of those people is not allowed to run.  The other needs to re-take their driver's license to make sure they are not a risk to the world driving an automobile.
    No way, I wouldn't hire a 30 year old to run most of the depts in my company.  Simply not enough experience.  I'm not saying 78 is necessarily ideal, but 30 year old is no good either.  
    You can reasonably count on them being able to tie their own shoes at 38, though. 

And, I get your point.  It is an exceptional 30 year old I would consider -- just as it would be an exceptional 78 year old.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    Need someone who doesn't have one foot in the grave.
    Age discrimination alive and well in America. 
    Sorry, but this is a lazy and relatively brainless statement. 
    We covered this previously - but there are lots of posts so we can do it again, if you would like.

How about the fact that if I am 34 I cannot be POTUS?  Where is the Ageism cry against that?

Age should be a viable consideration.  Would you elect someone who was 102?  12?

Is it fair to openly say a woman is unqualified, or a black or a hispanic?

Some 55 yo's have trouble with memory. I'd say Bernies mind is probably sharper than yours. Definitely mine (I'm about Stone's age FWIW )

How can age possibly factor into these examples?

"As directed by the Constitution, apresidential candidate must be a natural born citizen of the United States, a resident for 14 years, and 35 years of age or older."

What's interesting is that if Google is to be believed, seems that most folks were living around 40 years at the time of the Constitution being drafted as a high average. Working off those ratios, and taking the average life span today to be 80 years, that constitutional mandate equates to a minimum residency term of 28 years, and a minimum age of 70. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Bringing some discussion from the "impending impeachment" thread over here...it was suggested, correctly, that the "cooler" candidate wins.  

So, who's "cooler" than Trump...well, just like with Bush, I don't get why people thought he was so cool.  But they do.  So...

I don't see any of the democratic candidates as appreciably cooler with the exception of Beto.  Maybe Mayor Pete.  Joe?  No.  In 2016, I wanted Joe to run (not that the party would have allowed Hillary to lose).  He kinda had a sharp tongue and I think would have run up the score in the debates.  Now?  Now, we're embedded in the idea that we need someone "different."  And he's super-old.  He's not going to score any "cool" points.

It doesn't look good.  I say run Kamala and Booker and hope he drops an n-bomb.

No one here ever discusses the African American vote in the Democratic party, but it's impossible to underestimate how critical that is, and the fact that right Biden is dominating that vote.  He has real credibility in that demographic and the SC primary is very early in the process.  
    *ahem*

Someone here has discussed it quite a bit :)
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Bringing some discussion from the "impending impeachment" thread over here...it was suggested, correctly, that the "cooler" candidate wins.  

So, who's "cooler" than Trump...well, just like with Bush, I don't get why people thought he was so cool.  But they do.  So...

I don't see any of the democratic candidates as appreciably cooler with the exception of Beto.  Maybe Mayor Pete.  Joe?  No.  In 2016, I wanted Joe to run (not that the party would have allowed Hillary to lose).  He kinda had a sharp tongue and I think would have run up the score in the debates.  Now?  Now, we're embedded in the idea that we need someone "different."  And he's super-old.  He's not going to score any "cool" points.

No one here ever discusses the African American vote in the Democratic party, but it's impossible to underestimate how critical that is, and the fact that right Biden is dominating that vote.  He has real credibility in that demographic and the SC primary is very early in the process.  
    *ahem*

Oh right, you were discussing the real blacks, not the kind that work in white collar jobs.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

*ahem*

Oh right, you were discussing the real blacks, not the kind that work in white collar jobs.  
    LMAO
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

*ahem*

Still running with that bullshit narrative i see, you heard what you wanted obviously and completely missed the point. You claimed to have exposure to blacks and gays because you work in the banking industry, as if thats the only reason you know any blacks or gays. I still think that is funny. But whatever

I'm happy your white collar job exposed you to minorities and homosexuals. 

I was talking about the black vote, and got ridiculed for it, WAY before our previous discussion my friend. It's why Kaine was a horrible VP choice, and its why Hillary lost, not because of the russian nerds as NBC wants us to believe
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    The whites in here get pretty riled up
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    PJ fans?  ;)
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    PJ fans?  ;)
    Whowillneverleave

• Options
    calmer than you are, dude
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    YEAH WAVING THE FUCKING GUN AROUND?!?!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,253
    Jason P said:
    PJ fans?  ;)
    Whowillneverleave

Haha! Nice throwback shout out.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

*ahem*

Still running with that bullshit narrative i see, you heard what you wanted obviously and completely missed the point. You claimed to have exposure to blacks and gays because you work in the banking industry, as if thats the only reason you know any blacks or gays. I still think that is funny. But whatever

I was talking about the black vote, and got ridiculed for it, WAY before our previous discussion my friend. It's why Kaine was a horrible VP choice, and its why Hillary lost, not because of the russian nerds as NBC wants us to believe
    We already declared you the local victor of the game show "I Know Black People".  Your uncanny knowledge and deep experience going back to high school sports makes you uniquely qualified to express your opinion, clearly over matching all others.  I mean, hell, you can safely say that you understand the differences of every region, socio-economic class and education level.  I don't know why any of us bother to levy an opinion. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDcA9BIB_NQ
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    PJ fans?  ;)
    Whowillneverleave

Really nicely done. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

*ahem*

We already declared you the local victor of the game show "I Know Black People".  Your uncanny knowledge and deep experience going back to high school sports makes you uniquely qualified to express your opinion, clearly over matching all others.  I mean, hell, you can safely say that you understand the differences of every region, socio-economic class and education level.  I don't know why any of us bother to levy an opinion. 

I'm just trollin' you.  I'll stop. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

*ahem*

Riiiiiiiight, i said all that.

Are you daft? ;)
  • Options
    That's a great skit by the way
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Hopefully, this means Dem candidates will have an honest chance in Ohio. That's all anyone needs.

Court Strikes Down Ohio Congressional Map, Says Too Gerrymandered To Benefit GOP
    The court blocked the state from using its current map in any future elections. It gave lawmakers until June 14 to come up with a new one.
    By Sam Levine
    Today

A panel of three federal judges struck down Ohio’s congressional map on Friday, ruling the districts were so severely drawn to benefit Republicans that they violated the U.S. Constitution. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ohio-gerrymandering-court-ruling_n_5ccc7638e4b0e4d757322294
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    gerrymander

great term

"early 19th century: from the name of Governor Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts + salamander, from the supposed similarity between a salamander and the shape of a new voting district on a map drawn when he was in office (1812), the creation of which was felt to favor his party; the map (with claws, wings, and fangs added) was published in the Boston Weekly Messenger, with the title The Gerry-Mander ."

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,112
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Robert O’Rourke still has my vote.  In the primaries anyway...
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    gerrymander

great term

"early 19th century: from the name of Governor Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts + salamander, from the supposed similarity between a salamander and the shape of a new voting district on a map drawn when he was in office (1812), the creation of which was felt to favor his party; the map (with claws, wings, and fangs added) was published in the Boston Weekly Messenger, with the title The Gerry-Mander ."

From Marblehead. Still the best police blotter ever.

"There's a black person on the sidewalk" appeared almost weekly. Actually, they stopped publishing it. Guessing nothing's changed, though.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    edited May 2019
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

*ahem*

Ok - skipping over your pissing match...

You seriously think no one here understands that the Dems get the black vote?  And when they don't get enough they lose (see Trump, Donald).?  Really?  Maybe I'm missing something here.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dankind said:
    gerrymander

great term

From Marblehead. Still the best police blotter ever.

"There's a black person on the sidewalk" appeared almost weekly. Actually, they stopped publishing it. Guessing nothing's changed, though.
      based on what we read here this AM, "there is a black on the sidewalk"
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

*ahem*

You seriously think no one here understands that the Dems get the black vote?  And when they don't get enough they lose (see Trump, Donald).?  Really?  Maybe I'm missing something here.

i've never said anything about people not understanding anything... I have simply pointed out in the past on the AMT that black voter turnout dropped in 2016 and that is the ultimate reason HRC lost, not Russian tweets.... and i've also stated I believe the reason the black voter turnout dropped was the lack of a minority on the ballot, especially after 8 years of Obama being POTUS.

that is literally the only two points I have made. people can agree or disagree, doesn't matter to me

• Options
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

*ahem*

i've never said anything about people not understanding anything... I have simply pointed out in the past on the AMT that black voter turnout dropped in 2016 and that is the ultimate reason HRC lost, not Russian tweets.... and i've also stated I believe the reason the black voter turnout dropped was the lack of a minority on the ballot, especially after 8 years of Obama being POTUS.

that is literally the only two points I have made. people can agree or disagree, doesn't matter to me

Was meant for mrussel1 sorry, quote feature was being weird ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

*ahem*

I'm saying that we haven't really discussed it, not that people here were unaware of it.  We have discussed it intensely from the perspective of the young, millenials, the progressives vs the liberals, and women but very little on the African American vote.  I was pointing out that while the loud and boisterous social media presence may seem to want someone new and different and more liberal, I'm not sure that the rank and file feel the same (as evidenced by current polling) and the African American community is a huge part of that constituency.  
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    PJPOWER said:
    Robert O’Rourke still has my vote.  In the primaries anyway...
    Nice so you’re leaving the door open for the Baffoon vote ha ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    It’s not even a thought I’ll be pulling the level for any of the 22 candidates instead of the Baffoon! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

*ahem*

I'm saying that we haven't really discussed it, not that people here were unaware of it.  We have discussed it intensely from the perspective of the young, millenials, the progressives vs the liberals, and women but very little on the African American vote.  I was pointing out that while the loud and boisterous social media presence may seem to want someone new and different and more liberal, I'm not sure that the rank and file feel the same (as evidenced by current polling) and the African American community is a huge part of that constituency.  
    But Hills was rank and file and they didn't come out to vote.  I'd assume if you want to get more african american voters, you'll need Harris/Booker or someone that looks like them on the ticket.

And I do think this is the space that hurts Buddha-Judge's chances the most.  He will need them in the general election and I do not think the African american community will be excited to vote for a gay man.  Could be wrong.
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.