Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    Ooooh noooooooooooooooooooooo!  Ayyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeee! 

Let the mud flinging begin!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    Yeah I’m torn I’d rather have a brand new face and ideas for the next nominee of the Democrats..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,112
    edited May 2019
    Eddie Vedder, two and a half bottles in.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Joe not appealing to me very much. Looking forward to the debates. Today I’m going with Warren/Beto.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    That video Joe is looking and sounding pretty old to me.... makes Bernie seem young and strong comparatively 

"They're not bad folks, folks"

Ugh. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Wow.  He looks and sounds old...but he is old.  Your next POTUS...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    boring as fuck. if he continues to speak like he's getting ready for bed, he's going to get slaughtered. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,663
    Need someone who doesn't have one foot in the grave.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    imagine how old he will sound in coming years. imagine him in 8 years.  kind of scary when you think about it.  
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Joe isn’t a good name to have for a politician. Sleepy Joe. DC Joe. No Show Joe. 
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Unemployment lowest since 1969.  

Dems need to really hammer down on all those Nazis I see roaming the streets ...
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,668
    Jason P said:

Dems need to really hammer down on all those Nazis I see roaming the streets ...
    When another repub President was in office, defied congress and the constitution, won re-election and ultimately resigned as impeachment began. Hilarious how history can repeat. 10,000+ lies and counting..........
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,155
    mrussel1 said:
    Really?

He sounds terrible there.  
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Thanks Obama!
  • Options
    Age discrimination alive and well in America. 
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Joe isn’t a good name to have for a politician. Sleepy Joe. DC Joe. No Show Joe. 
    Sleepy Joe just might fit

Fucking Trump is a diabolical genius. 

Ugh

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    energy does play a part, and he seems to have zero. it's safe to assume it is at least in part because of his age. it also could be his personality, who knows. I haven't seen him speak very often over the years. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    imagine how old he will sound in coming years. imagine him in 8 years.  kind of scary when you think about it.  

He is running for a 4 year term and should be articulating that.

He needs to have a narrow focus in appearances. Not be expected to ramble for 30 minutes day after day.

Have great opening acts then have a pre written short speech that knocks it out of the park. No ad libbing

That's a strength of trump's. This ain't rocket science. Think of campaigns more like a rock tour than a political operative 

What was trump doing the day the mueller report was released? Greeting fans and signing autographs.

Bidens purpose is to bring respectability back to the presidency and have a kick ass running mate that can take over in 2024.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Age is fair game when one makes their decisions in the voting booth. Being president should be the most exhausting job in the world (unless you're Trump). You can't tell me that Joe has more energy and stamina then Beto, Peter or Kamala.

I also worry about someones cognitive decline when they get to that age (also Trump). I see it in my parents so it should give me pause when deciding who I should vote for.

Not to say there aren't exceptions to the rule, I'm thinking Warren, but her age also makes me a bit concerned.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,663
    Sorry, but this is a lazy and relatively brainless statement. 
    We covered this previously - but there are lots of posts so we can do it again, if you would like.

How about the fact that if I am 34 I cannot be POTUS?  Where is the Ageism cry against that?

Age should be a viable consideration.  Would you elect someone who was 102?  12?

• Options
    Its not discrimination, it's reality 
  • Options
    I think a solid and well rounded 30 year old would make a much more appealing candidate, to me, than a 78 year old.
    However, one of those people is not allowed to run.  The other needs to re-take their driver's license to make sure they are not a risk to the world driving an automobile.
  • Options
    We covered this previously - but there are lots of posts so we can do it again, if you would like.

How about the fact that if I am 34 I cannot be POTUS?  Where is the Ageism cry against that?

Age should be a viable consideration.  Would you elect someone who was 102?  12?

Is it fair to openly say a woman is unqualified, or a black or a hispanic?

Some 55 yo's have trouble with memory. I'd say Bernies mind is probably sharper than yours. Definitely mine (I'm about Stone's age FWIW )

How can age possibly factor into these examples?

"As directed by the Constitution, apresidential candidate must be a natural born citizen of the United States, a resident for 14 years, and 35 years of age or older."

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    Bringing some discussion from the "impending impeachment" thread over here...it was suggested, correctly, that the "cooler" candidate wins.  

So, who's "cooler" than Trump...well, just like with Bush, I don't get why people thought he was so cool.  But they do.  So...

I don't see any of the democratic candidates as appreciably cooler with the exception of Beto.  Maybe Mayor Pete.  Joe?  No.  In 2016, I wanted Joe to run (not that the party would have allowed Hillary to lose).  He kinda had a sharp tongue and I think would have run up the score in the debates.  Now?  Now, we're embedded in the idea that we need someone "different."  And he's super-old.  He's not going to score any "cool" points.

It doesn't look good.  I say run Kamala and Booker and hope he drops an n-bomb.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    I think a solid and well rounded 30 year old would make a much more appealing candidate, to me, than a 78 year old.
    However, one of those people is not allowed to run.  The other needs to re-take their driver's license to make sure they are not a risk to the world driving an automobile.
    No way, I wouldn't hire a 30 year old to run most of the depts in my company.  Simply not enough experience.  I'm not saying 78 is necessarily ideal, but 30 year old is no good either.  
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Bringing some discussion from the "impending impeachment" thread over here...it was suggested, correctly, that the "cooler" candidate wins.  

So, who's "cooler" than Trump...well, just like with Bush, I don't get why people thought he was so cool.  But they do.  So...

I don't see any of the democratic candidates as appreciably cooler with the exception of Beto.  Maybe Mayor Pete.  Joe?  No.  In 2016, I wanted Joe to run (not that the party would have allowed Hillary to lose).  He kinda had a sharp tongue and I think would have run up the score in the debates.  Now?  Now, we're embedded in the idea that we need someone "different."  And he's super-old.  He's not going to score any "cool" points.

I don't believe this to be necessarily true among the rank and file.  Maybe it's true for the social media active lefties, but all the numbers bear out that Biden is the choice, at this moment.  
    No one here ever discusses the African American vote in the Democratic party, but it's impossible to underestimate how critical that is, and the fact that right Biden is dominating that vote.  He has real credibility in that demographic and the SC primary is very early in the process.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I don't believe this to be necessarily true among the rank and file.  Maybe it's true for the social media active lefties, but all the numbers bear out that Biden is the choice, at this moment.  
    No one here ever discusses the African American vote in the Democratic party, but it's impossible to underestimate how critical that is, and the fact that right Biden is dominating that vote.  He has real credibility in that demographic and the SC primary is very early in the process.  
    It'll be interesting to see how that plays out if he wins the nomination. The GOP will hit him HARD.  Doesn't he have a relationship history with Klansman Robert Byrd?  For the black vote will it be the GOP's attacks or will it be his bro-mance with Obama?  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options

Is it fair to openly say a woman is unqualified, or a black or a hispanic?

Some 55 yo's have trouble with memory. I'd say Bernies mind is probably sharper than yours. Definitely mine (I'm about Stone's age FWIW )

How can age possibly factor into these examples?

"As directed by the Constitution, apresidential candidate must be a natural born citizen of the United States, a resident for 14 years, and 35 years of age or older."

I hear your point -- and I have met and spoken with Bernie on 2 occasions, years apart from one another.  Not a fan of his, politically, but think he is a pretty interesting guy and is very sharp. 

Bringing up the point about a person's gender or ethnicity does not apply, here.  (In my opinion)

Why not approach the discussion from this pov:
    The constitution is ageist.  Why can a 34 year old not be POTUS?  Is it fair to openly say a woman is unqualified, or a minority?
    Some 36 year olds have (insert criticism here) - and some 78 year olds have (insert same criticism) - why is it OK for the constitution to set an age mimunum but not an age maximum.

There is already ageism at work when it comes to POTUS qualifications -- so why would it be discriminatory for a person of some intelligence to want to discuss the realities that go along with a person's mental and physical capabilities between the ages of 78-86, discuss the realities of the average changes of a person's mental and physical capabilities between the age of 78 and then 86, the incredible demands that a job such as POTUS puts on a person's mental and physical well-being, and then consider that it is quite possibly a poor idea to elect a person who is 78?

I laugh at the idea that I am discriminating.  If that is by the definition, fine.  I own it, but I do not think there is anything beyond good common sense behind asking such questions.  I do not buy that it folds into the idea that "a woman, or a black or a hispanic" is unqualified.
    I actually did not say that Joe is unqualified.  I said there should be a person who is nominated who does not have one foot in the grave...which is 'silly' for old as hell.  I do think Joe as a person, is one of the most qualified people we could consider.  I will vote for Joe if it comes down to Joe vs. The Grand Wizard Trump. 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

It'll be interesting to see how that plays out if he wins the nomination. The GOP will hit him HARD.  Doesn't he have a relationship history with Klansman Robert Byrd?  For the black vote will it be the GOP's attacks or will it be his bro-mance with Obama?  
    I don't see the GOP hitting him on that during the primaries.  They can try in the general, but I seriously doubt someone can look at Biden and say he is racist compared to Trump.  Just like you can't call him a sexual predator and go vote for Trump.  It's silly.  His approval rating is very high among the community, and I would expect Clyburn to endorse before the SC primary.  If he does, then Biden is odds on favorite.
  • Options
    This poll is quite interesting.  It has Beto with the best numbers, head to head against Trump.  Biden and Bernie are second.  Interestingly, Warren is last, actually losing to Trump (but within the MOE).  Harris is the strongest polling woman.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/441950-orourke-holds-double-digit-lead-on-trump-in-head-to-head-matchup-cnn-poll
This discussion has been closed.