Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    benjs said: We all have red blood after all, and we should show that.
    We should show that we all have red blood? That’s kinda sick!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I was brought up in a horrible Catholic environment as well.  Nuns locked kids in lockers, threw erasers, we were punished unfairly, etc.  I had to go to church 4x a week, 3 of them for school.  The redeeming factor is that church wine is quite delicious and the priests had no inventory control mechanism.  
    So to be clear, I'm not espousing organized religion.  I'm saying it's a political and moral mistake not to use the teachings of Jesus, and the social values around the poor, indigent, the strangers in our land, and the command to stand humbly before God and man.  When Democrats hand that over to the Republicans, we lose a strong moral high ground while this administration literally shits on it.  
    That's what I thought you were saying, and I agree there. As long as this is kept as value-driven discussions, I see no problem with talking about how religious texts agree with those values that are core to the society we want to perpetuate and providing examples of that.
    As for wine - that's key in Judaism as well. We actually have a holiday where Jews are commanded to get drunk enough that they can't tell right from wrong. 
    The Jews celebrate the purge?  Crazy!  
    Not sure what the purge is! This is Purim (one of several Jewish holidays centered around _________ was trying to ________ us and failed, so let's celebrate with food and drink). 
    Purim: Haman was trying to kill us, he failed, let's eat and drink
    Passover: Pharaoh was enslaving us, we got away, let's eat and drink
    Channukah: The temple was destroyed, we've got a new one but only enough oil for one day - lasted eight - let's eat and drink
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Smart-ass :) 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    I’ll add that to the list .... idiotic, dick, sexist...smart-ass!!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I was brought up in a horrible Catholic environment as well.  Nuns locked kids in lockers, threw erasers, we were punished unfairly, etc.  I had to go to church 4x a week, 3 of them for school.  The redeeming factor is that church wine is quite delicious and the priests had no inventory control mechanism.  
    So to be clear, I'm not espousing organized religion.  I'm saying it's a political and moral mistake not to use the teachings of Jesus, and the social values around the poor, indigent, the strangers in our land, and the command to stand humbly before God and man.  When Democrats hand that over to the Republicans, we lose a strong moral high ground while this administration literally shits on it.  
    That's what I thought you were saying, and I agree there. As long as this is kept as value-driven discussions, I see no problem with talking about how religious texts agree with those values that are core to the society we want to perpetuate and providing examples of that.
    As for wine - that's key in Judaism as well. We actually have a holiday where Jews are commanded to get drunk enough that they can't tell right from wrong. 
    Not sure what the purge is! This is Purim (one of several Jewish holidays centered around _________ was trying to ________ us and failed, so let's celebrate with food and drink). 
    Channukah: The temple was destroyed, we've got a new one but only enough oil for one day - lasted eight - let's eat and drink
    Sounds like a pretty good religion, except for all the escapes from certain death.  
  • Options
    benjs said:
    Hey, leave me out of those other ones! 

EV
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Sounds like a pretty good religion, except for all the escapes from certain death.  
    It's good for family togetherness. And for if you want to claim elitist status or rationalize murder or oppression through that status. 

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    Hey, leave me out of those other ones! 
    ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    It's good for family togetherness. And for if you want to claim elitist status or rationalize murder or oppression through that status. 
    It's the American dream. 
  • Options
    Here's a nice analysis of Mayor Pete by a conservative, and a gay one at that, the very thoughtful Andrew Sullivan.  I don't think we should discount his take on the immigration issue.  
    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/is-pete-buttigieg-a-transformational-candidate.html
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    mrussel1 said:
    He likes using the word troll a lot today it seems. 
    I learned troll yesterday, you learned echo chamber.  We're even.  
    On a slightly different note, I do apologize for calling you a dick yesterday.  I went too far.  My bad.  I still think your comment to PJ Soul was dickish though, but that does not necessarily make you an actual phallus..maybe a taint?  Kidding.  
    Thanks for asking the question mrussel1! Even though we never got an answer. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:

Purim Jam
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Re Mayor Pete - One thing about him which I really like is that he does not appear to be afraid to embrace his Christian faith.  Several months ago, I brought up the point that the left needs to reclaim Jesus, and how progressive his teachings truly are.  In this forum, the idea wasn't received particularly well (although everyone was very nice about it).  So I'm going to bring it up again.  It's both a moral and political mistake to cede the teachings of Jesus to the religious right.  Here's a recent quote from Pete:

“We need to not be afraid to invoke arguments … on why Christian faith is going to point you in a progressive direction,” he recently told USA Today. He also questioned Donald Trump’s religious sincerity. “I’m reluctant to comment on another person’s faith,” Buttigieg said, “but I would say it is hard to look at this president’s actions and believe that they’re the actions of somebody who believes in God.”

I believe that a candidate can be true and open about their faith without it being a risk to putting the 10 Commandments on the courthouse steps or making laws based on the writings of Leviticus.  Hearing Pete speak about this is definitely a mark in the "positive" column for me. 
    mrussel, I want to be careful not to offend, and want to start by admitting personal bias here, as I'm not a fan of religion. I went through religious day school when I was younger, and I still have anger and resentment for being forced to pray to a god I don't believe in, as some form of penance for not doing homework. Sitting in a room as an atheist depressed teenager, in tears, while one of the shittiest humans I've ever had the displeasure of meeting was on the other side, yelling at me to pray louder because she couldn't hear me, is an image that over fifteen years later I've been unable to shake. I've seen and heard too many other examples of exertion of undue influence over weak and impressionable minds, rationalized by an obligation to spread a gospel which is inherently unprovable, to believe that religion is used authentically to lead a value-driven discussion or life in most cases. 

With that being said, as long as there's a willingness to invite debate on religion-founded statements and to treat religion the way I really believe you believe it (which is that there are good values that could be shared and discussed - and not that there are good voters who could be swayed), I'm cool with that. I really feel that sharing and discussing ways to improve ourselves is part of our obligation as a race that wishes to have more tomorrows, but it has to be dialogue and not (pun intended) set in stone.
    look up the video of his appearance on real time with bill maher. maher asks him about his faith in a very condescending way imo. pete was graceful in how he not only handled it but answered the broader question.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Re Mayor Pete - One thing about him which I really like is that he does not appear to be afraid to embrace his Christian faith.  Several months ago, I brought up the point that the left needs to reclaim Jesus, and how progressive his teachings truly are.  In this forum, the idea wasn't received particularly well (although everyone was very nice about it).  So I'm going to bring it up again.  It's both a moral and political mistake to cede the teachings of Jesus to the religious right.  Here's a recent quote from Pete:

“We need to not be afraid to invoke arguments … on why Christian faith is going to point you in a progressive direction,” he recently told USA Today. He also questioned Donald Trump’s religious sincerity. “I’m reluctant to comment on another person’s faith,” Buttigieg said, “but I would say it is hard to look at this president’s actions and believe that they’re the actions of somebody who believes in God.”

I believe that a candidate can be true and open about their faith without it being a risk to putting the 10 Commandments on the courthouse steps or making laws based on the writings of Leviticus.  Hearing Pete speak about this is definitely a mark in the "positive" column for me. 
    mrussel, I want to be careful not to offend, and want to start by admitting personal bias here, as I'm not a fan of religion. I went through religious day school when I was younger, and I still have anger and resentment for being forced to pray to a god I don't believe in, as some form of penance for not doing homework. Sitting in a room as an atheist depressed teenager, in tears, while one of the shittiest humans I've ever had the displeasure of meeting was on the other side, yelling at me to pray louder because she couldn't hear me, is an image that over fifteen years later I've been unable to shake. I've seen and heard too many other examples of exertion of undue influence over weak and impressionable minds, rationalized by an obligation to spread a gospel which is inherently unprovable, to believe that religion is used authentically to lead a value-driven discussion or life in most cases. 

With that being said, as long as there's a willingness to invite debate on religion-founded statements and to treat religion the way I really believe you believe it (which is that there are good values that could be shared and discussed - and not that there are good voters who could be swayed), I'm cool with that. I really feel that sharing and discussing ways to improve ourselves is part of our obligation as a race that wishes to have more tomorrows, but it has to be dialogue and not (pun intended) set in stone.
    look up the video of his appearance on real time with bill maher. maher asks him about his faith in a very condescending way imo. pete was graceful in how he not only handled it but answered the broader question.....
    I've seen that and I fully agree! And regarding Maher - condescending is always his go-to tone.

EV
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:

He also said we are being far too condescending to those we disagree with and it's hurting us.... Andrew Sullivan repeated the same message 15 minutes later...... their message is simple, stop being condescending name-calling jerks to those we disagree with.... 

Bill Maher, and the rest of us on the left, need to take that advice to heart
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see if Pete can get any traction with the African American community.  In particular, the older members tend to be much less liberal on gay marriage. I hope his faith can help bridge that gap, giving them a common language, but we shall see. 
  • Options
    New poll conducted between 4/4 and 4/7 in MA.  
    1. Warren in third in her home state.  Ouch.  Doesn't bode well.  
    2. Sanders strong in the NE.  No real surprise there.  
    3. Biden still hanging tough, considering this poll was conducted after the shenanigans of the last two weeks.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/437770-warren-places-third-in-2020-poll-of-massachusetts
  • Options
    Oh and Pete still growing as people become aware.  He will have to be reckoned with.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    mrussel1 said:
    Oh and Pete still growing as people become aware.  He will have to be reckoned with.  
    I sure hope so. Sounds genuine and up-to-date.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Beto comes off as a guy that reads a "What to say to Democrat Voters on (today's date)" handbook before any public speech.  I have yet to perceive leadership qualities that I would want a POTUS to have. 
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Beto comes off as a guy that reads a "What to say to Democrat Voters on (today's date)" handbook before any public speech.  I have yet to perceive leadership qualities that I would want a POTUS to have. 
    Agree.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Biden/Harris
    Biden/Abrams
    Biden/Sanders
    Biden/Some other woman
    Biden/Booker

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Biden/Harris
    Biden/Abrams
    Biden/Sanders
    Biden/Some other woman
    Biden/Booker

Give up Biden.
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    Biden/Harris
    Biden/Abrams
    Biden/Sanders
    Biden/Some other woman
    Biden/Booker

Give up Biden.
    Is that a list of Biden’s future victims? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Jason P said:
    Also agree.  I just read Pete Buttigieg's book and was very impressed - wow, to have a smart person as president.  But can a gay man win (I say that wishing the answer was yes, of course)?  

I asked my 21 year old daughter what she thought of the candidates - she likes Warren, but thinks she's too "out there."  She used to like Bernie, but now thinks he's "crazy."  She likes Kamala and Beto.  And thinks Biden is "way too old."  
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Hi! said:
    Biden/Harris
    Biden/Abrams
    Biden/Sanders
    Biden/Some other woman
    Biden/Booker

Give up Biden.
    Why? He won't surrender the rust belt, will select a minority VP, and the Obama's will hit the street hard for him....

He's still the best bet

Mayor Pete is catching fire with young progressives, he will quickly settle into the top 3-5 candidates... i like the guy, not sure i'm hitting the button in the primary for him though... i'm honestly a little worried about running a 37 year old homosexual small city mayor in this election, we cannot fuck around and risk 4 more years.... 
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Hi! said:
    Biden/Harris
    Biden/Abrams
    Biden/Sanders
    Biden/Some other woman
    Biden/Booker

Give up Biden.
    Why? He won't surrender the rust belt, will select a minority VP, and the Obama's will hit the street hard for him....

He's still the best bet

Mayor Pete is catching fire with young progressives, he will quickly settle into the top 3-5 candidates... i like the guy, not sure i'm hitting the button in the primary for him though... i'm honestly a little worried about running a 37 year old homosexual small city mayor in this election, we cannot fuck around and risk 4 more years.... 
    You live in the Greatest Country in the World™ -- why would you have to worry about Trump being elected instead of a sane canditate like Pete?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    my2hands said:
    Hi! said:
    Biden/Harris
    Biden/Abrams
    Biden/Sanders
    Biden/Some other woman
    Biden/Booker

Give up Biden.

He's still the best bet

You live in the Greatest Country in the World™ -- why would you have to worry about Trump being elected instead of a sane canditate like Pete?
    Because as Alexander Hamilton once said: "The masses are asses." 

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542

Rep. Eric Swalwell of California joins crowded field of 2020 Democratic presidential hopefuls

The four-term congressman, who has been a frequent guest on cable news programs as well as a visitor to Iowa over the past couple of years, added his name to the long list of people vying for the Democrats’ 2020 presidential nomination.

Swalwell, 38, formally announced the campaign during an appearance on CBS’s “Late Show with Stephen Colbert.”
    This is a developing story. It will be updated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2019/04/08/rep-eric-swalwell-of-california-joins-crowded-field-of-2020-democratic-presidential-hopefuls/?utm_term=.3a0d5b5cf6d5&wpisrc=al_politics__alert-politics&wpmk=1

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Hi! said:
    Biden/Harris
    Biden/Abrams
    Biden/Sanders
    Biden/Some other woman
    Biden/Booker

Give up Biden.

He's still the best bet

Pretty sure you're the only one who regularly calls it that (even in satire).

EV
This discussion has been closed.