Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Why is it that Bernie Sanders won't accept responsibility for losing the nomination in 2016? All he ever does is blame everyone else. I've never heard him publicly say it was his fault. He lost because he was an awful candidate who couldn't get people excited enough to vote for him. He should just go away. If he loses this time, who will he blame?

Hmmm . . .   where have I heard this before???? 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,926
    Why is it that Bernie Sanders won't accept responsibility for losing the nomination in 2016? All he ever does is blame everyone else. I've never heard him publicly say it was his fault. He lost because he was an awful candidate who couldn't get people excited enough to vote for him. He should just go away. If he loses this time, who will he blame?

I think he was bummed because he knew he would likely have beaten Trump.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited April 2019
    Biden/Harris
    Biden/Sanders
    Biden/Holder
    Biden/Booker
    Biden/Abrams
    Biden/Oprah

Sanders/Warren 
    Sanders/Booker
    Sanders/Harris
    Sanders/Abrams

Jordan/Barkley
    Hanks/Clooney
    Oprah/Stedman

Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

If he was an awful candidate, then what was the candidate that LOST to Donald Trump?

Yeah, she fucking sucked
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't understand this "parties are not, by definition, public." What does this even mean? It's simply not true. Any single person can attend a local party meeting. They are openly advertised, can be found through a simple Google search, and welcome participation. I attend Democratic party meetings on a fairly regular basis. I really wonder what you mean by this so-called not-public definition of a party. Please explain.
    I interpret it to mean that they are private institutions,  not an extension of the government.

Yeah, I guess by some interpretations, they could be public...in a sense that a restaurant is a public place and essentially lets anyone in.

But they are not an extension of government and your voting rights don't quite extend there.  That's why nobody got in trouble for rigging the nomination for Hillary.  It's what party insiders wanted and they don't owe anything to any electorate, as is the case for actual elections.  My point was kind of a tangent, anyway...simply that if you don't feel you have a party, you are kind of out in the cold until that parties decide for you who you should consider.
    ... Restaurants are not public spaces that let anyone in....
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    my2hands said:

If he was an awful candidate, then what was the candidate that LOST to Donald Trump?

Yeah, she fucking sucked
    3 million + sucked
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,797
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't understand this "parties are not, by definition, public." What does this even mean? It's simply not true. Any single person can attend a local party meeting. They are openly advertised, can be found through a simple Google search, and welcome participation. I attend Democratic party meetings on a fairly regular basis. I really wonder what you mean by this so-called not-public definition of a party. Please explain.
    I interpret it to mean that they are private institutions,  not an extension of the government.

Yeah, I guess by some interpretations, they could be public...in a sense that a restaurant is a public place and essentially lets anyone in.

But they are not an extension of government and your voting rights don't quite extend there.  That's why nobody got in trouble for rigging the nomination for Hillary.  It's what party insiders wanted and they don't owe anything to any electorate, as is the case for actual elections.  My point was kind of a tangent, anyway...simply that if you don't feel you have a party, you are kind of out in the cold until that parties decide for you who you should consider.
    How was it rigged?  Super delegates have been the process since McGovern and they were the rules coming into the 16 election.  I hate that word because it implies corruption, and the process was not corrupt.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

How was it rigged?  Super delegates have been the process since McGovern and they were the rules coming into the 16 election.  I hate that word because it implies corruption, and the process was not corrupt.  
    Rigged = disagreed with the outcome
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Rigged = disagreed with the outcome
    Just remembered these guidelines.

DNC, rigged
    General election, totally not rigged

Also, both sides are bad
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    OnWis97 said:
    Just watched the Sanders town hall. It's almost made me want to rejoin the democratic party so I can vote for him in the primary...as I did in 2016. I disagree with him on a lot, but that's okay. 
    Hahahaha i registered a democrat to vote against him :)
    I'm guessing you're joking but believe it or not, my uncle (who is as conservative as they come) is actually registered as a democrat so he can, as he says half-jokingly, "meddle in their primaries." He voted for Sanders in 2016 because he felt Sanders would be easier to beat than Clinton. 
    I registered as a democrat in 2008. Then back to republican in 2012 (to vote in primary). Stayed 2016 for primary (but voted democrat). Moved...registered as a democrat. So not joking. My pick will likely not win, but I’m going to vote for the democrat I most like that has a shot.
    I did that in Illinois in 2002 to vote for a moderate Republican vs. a right-wing jackass in the GOP primary for governor.  The right-wing jackass won the nomination.  Then lost to a Dem I liked.  That Dem?  Rod Blagojevich.  Turns out it was lose/lose.  :)

So who might that be...I know you like Mayor Pete, but do you envision him having a shot?  I kinda don't.  Of course, I don't necessarily think Trump is beatable.  In Minnesota we have a caucus so I probably won't bother.  But if I do, I'd probably go against those I am 100% don't have a shot.  That means Elizabeth Warren first.
    Well - I like Pete.

Still looking at Klobochar and Hickenlooper.

But of the ones with more name recognition...and again I don't really agree with them on many issues but I would still vote for them (this time)

Harris
    Biden
    Beto
    Booker

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Fine...it wasn’t necessary reflective of the wishes of the rank-and-file voters.  “The party,” not a segment of the people, made the choice...which was my point.  The people don’t get involved until the nominees are decided.  We’re down a rabbit-hole of a tangent, now.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,022
    I wish they would just get rid of the primaries and have each political party pick their candidate.  By the time November rolls around everyone has election fatigue.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wish they would just get rid of the primaries and have each political party pick their candidate.  By the time November rolls around everyone has election fatigue.  
    I agree with this. The primarily process is a big part of the problem with politics.

EDIT: in the US anyhow.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,460
    mcgruff10 said:
    Are you saying it should be more like how....

.... Sweden does it?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Are you saying it should be more like how....

.... Sweden does it?
    God bless Sweden. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    That is how it is done in Canada.  The parties elect the leader and we vote for the party that we want.  I have no interest in selecting who leads the party.  We are 6-7 months out from an election, but you would not really know.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I agree with this. The primarily process is a big part of the problem with politics.

EDIT: in the US anyhow.
    This is how it was done prior to the 20s. But that was decried as anti democratic,  leading to creation of the primaries. At least now people have their say and the state delegates have some sort of obligation to cast for the winner of the state, at least on the first ballot. 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Fine...it wasn’t necessary reflective of the wishes of the rank-and-file voters.  “The party,” not a segment of the people, made the choice...which was my point.  The people don’t get involved until the nominees are decided.  We’re down a rabbit-hole of a tangent, now.
    Hillary won more votes than Bernie in the primaries, by 3.7 million.  That equates to a 55-43% margin.  It really wasn't particularly close. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't see this as a rabbit hole at all. We are in the part of the process where the people, in fact, have their say, if they choose to. You stated above that you don't plan on participating in your state's caucus. That's on you. You could choose to participate, if you wish.
    It totally blows my mind that less than 10% of eligible voters consistently participate in primaries and caucuses, and then the "masses" of the 50% of people who vote in the general complain about the candidates -- after doing nothing to set the table. If you have a favored candidate you feel strongly about, get involved. Otherwise, you are left with what you are left with and have nobody to blame but yourself.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,001
    my2hands said:

Yeah, she fucking sucked
    He didn’t make it through the primaries. He’s the undisputed loser. Fucking duh she lost to Trump - Sanders didn’t even get to run against him though. How well you do in the system that exists (not the system you want) is what defines how strong a candidate you are.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,025
    Hi! said:
    Biden/Harris
    Biden/Sanders
    Biden/Holder
    Biden/Booker
    Biden/Abrams
    Biden/Oprah

Sanders/Warren 
    Sanders/Booker
    Sanders/Harris
    Sanders/Abrams

Jordan/Barkley
    Hanks/Clooney
    Oprah/Stedman

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    California comes early this time.

Bernie Sanders Kamala Harris
  • Options
    everyone else included and INVOLVED as cabinet level advisors instead of acting all butt hurt...

Cory Booker 
    Amy Klobachar
    Mayor Pete
    K. Gillibrand
    Julian Castro
    Elizabeth Warren
    Joe Biden
    even Hickenlooper

All smart people with good ideas about policy who want to roll their sleeves up should be part of leadership...unlike the non stop bullshit we have now.

PLATFORM and UNITY now.

• Options
    you get the point...I wasn't intentionally leaving out Tulsi or anyone else.
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
  • Options
    Who has the most "anti gay hecklers" -- The democratic party or the republican party? 
  • Options
    Who has the most "anti gay hecklers" -- The democratic party or the republican party? 
    I wouldn't assume those hecklers were Democrats. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,451
    CM189191 said:
    my2hands said:

Yeah, she fucking sucked
    3 million + sucked
    Sanders would've gotten CRUSHED had he been the nominee. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    CM189191 said:
    my2hands said:

Yeah, she fucking sucked
    3 million + sucked
    Sanders would've gotten CRUSHED had he been the nominee. 
    Eh...I dunno. At least he had people passionate about him. There were people that enthusiastically voted for him in the primary, and probably would have in the general had he won. It didn't appear that many were  passionate or enthusiastic about Hillary. Even I voted for her just under the premise of "Well, I guess I have to." 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.