Options

“Seattle is Dying” KOMO Doc.

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    I have no idea where NYC is hiding all these homeless...
    Sarcasm? I can’t always tell. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited April 2019
    I think NY has to provide them housing by law, a right to shelter... i remember reading that due to not enough shelter spaces the city spends massive amounts to house people in Hotels nightly, including nice hotels in Manhattan for $400-500 per night
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Shipped in boxcars to Seattle and San Francisco?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I haven't been there for a pretty long while, but yeah, same here. I spent days there, walking all over the city day and night, and I only saw maybe 3 homeless people the entire time. I couldn't believe it, because it seems to much worse in Vancouver and feels ever-present wherever you go in the city, and our rate is apparently low?? Wtf. I practically had the impression that NYC had just about eradicated homelessness altogether just based on my experience! I mean, I knew that wasn't the case, but that's how it felt.
    Hastings Street is a surreal experience. It’s un-freaking-believable.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Sadly I think several communites have decided   dealing with homelessness means making them go somewhere else. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    brianlux said:
    Sadly I think several communites have decided   dealing with homelessness means making them go somewhere else. 
    Just a few years ago, our small city of Placerville actually had a homeless "camp"- a section east of town where homeless people were allowed to set up tents, live, receive counseling.  Some kind of shower system was set up.    A lot of people brought food, clothing, soap, even books (from out local bookstore :smile: )  But things got out of hand- especially drugs- and it had to be closed down.  The trouble was internal, so-to-speak.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    I haven't been there for a pretty long while, but yeah, same here. I spent days there, walking all over the city day and night, and I only saw maybe 3 homeless people the entire time. I couldn't believe it, because it seems to much worse in Vancouver and feels ever-present wherever you go in the city, and our rate is apparently low?? Wtf. I practically had the impression that NYC had just about eradicated homelessness altogether just based on my experience! I mean, I knew that wasn't the case, but that's how it felt.
    Hastings Street is a surreal experience. It’s un-freaking-believable.
    Yeah, it's totally fucked up in the downtown east side. The density of the homeless population there is insane, and the entire focus of authorities is to prevent OD deaths, not to stop public drug use. There are of course people there always trying to help these folks, but the services to get them off the streets just aren't there... and of course most of those folks are hard core addicts with mental illness, so it's very very difficult to get them help even when it is available. Most of them refuse it, or try it for a bit and then come right back onto the streets.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It will not get any better, all these cities will continue to see the epidemic continue as the opioid crisis grows and as affordable living continues to be out of reach by many in these cities.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    It will not get any better, all these cities will continue to see the epidemic continue as the opioid crisis grows and as affordable living continues to be out of reach by many in these cities.
    Not true. My city and province is actually now taking many effective steps to make things better.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not true. My city and province is actually now taking many effective steps to make things better.
    Then I am glad.  Do you know if they would share what they are doing that is working?  Other cities/provinces need to see what's working.

I still say the affordability issue needs to be addressed at the federal level...

And no way anyone will anyone ever convince that Vancouver or Toronto will ever be affordable again...unless everyone wants to live on top of each other...no thanks I like my space.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Then I am glad.  Do you know if they would share what they are doing that is working?  Other cities/provinces need to see what's working.

I still say the affordability issue needs to be addressed at the federal level...

And no way anyone will anyone ever convince that Vancouver or Toronto will ever be affordable again...unless everyone wants to live on top of each other...no thanks I like my space.
    Well it's in the news, so all other cities and provinces have to do is pay some attention.
    I agree that regular housing affordability isn't going anywhere - there will have to be a major economic collapse for that to happen... and that's not impossible. I'm at the point where I'm actually hoping for one TBH.
    But BC and Vancouver are doing things like changing zoning laws so that developers have to include some affordable rental accommodations in their plans and shit like that. Such things have just started with the new governments, so in infancy. But it's happening. Also, the province and city are building modular housing with supports built in for the homeless to live in for super cheap, shit like that. Also, hospitals are starting to open OD wards so that their ERs aren't overwhelmed by OD cases, and so that the addicts coming in are taken care of better, and offered help and support options while they're there instead of just being sent on their way when medically able to leave.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    My instincts tell me BC is no better off than any large city.  And you are right it's on the news.  Including the homeless who move into parks and leave their dirty needles everywhere, or Saanich BC where kids were using dirty needles as darts ... if that's progress...no thanks.  Not the place I'd live.

Report of kids using discarded needles as darts prompts warning from Saanich police
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5073618/saanich-needle-darts/
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    My instincts tell me BC is no better off than any large city.  And you are right it's on the news.  Including the homeless who move into parks and leave their dirty needles everywhere, or Saanich BC where kids were using dirty needles as darts ... if that's progress...no thanks.  Not the place I'd live.

Report of kids using discarded needles as darts prompts warning from Saanich police
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5073618/saanich-needle-darts/
    I would never suggest BC doesn't have major problems. All I am saying is that BC is indeed finally starting to address them proactively. That is why I said these measures are still in their infancy. The BC Libs fucked the province up royally, and the NDP are only just starting to try and reverse some of that impact.
    It is true, the middle income earners in Vancouver (like me) have yet to reap any benefits in this context, really, although some things have just started to be done to stop the most urgent problems for them too, such as arbitrary renovictions, and getting rid of the additional 2% allowable annual rent increase on top of inflation. As I have moaned about many times, Vancouver is mired in a housing affordability crisis. But by point was that steps are now being taken to try and start helping. The biggest benefits so far have been seen by those in poverty and the homeless, with the module housing projects I mentioned, new hospital services, etc.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Do you live here?  I read a report that there are 63,000 homeless in NYC alone!  I walk there everyday and I do not see 65000 people on the streets.

In reference there are 12000 homeless in Seattle and that is very visible.

I did just learn that NY houses most of the homeless and they just increased housing for them under Diblasio.  Literally just learned this.  I knew that the homeless would be gathered up during really cold nights and it is against the law/inhumane to be out there in the cold like that.

Someone just posted an article above on it too.  TY

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Do you live here?  I read a report that there are 63,000 homeless in NYC alone!  I walk there everyday and I do not see 65000 people on the streets.

In reference there are 12000 homeless in Seattle and that is very visible.

I did just learn that NY houses most of the homeless and they just increased housing for them under Diblasio.  Literally just learned this.  I knew that the homeless would be gathered up during really cold nights and it is against the law/inhumane to be out there in the cold like that.

Someone just posted an article above on it too.  TY

That must be the difference. NYC has enough shelters. Seattle must not. And Seattle is so much more mild in the winter, it's not hard to live on the streets for most if not all of an average winter. We do have the odd cold snap on in the region, and I don't know about Seattle, but in Vancouver, the city opens emergency shelters when there is a cold snap so that nobody freezes to death. And just last winter they opened a bunch of more permanent warming centers around metro Vancouver for the winter months, which people can sleep in in dire circumstances, but are more for the homeless to drop by, warm up, have some hot coffee or tea, use a phone I think, and access resources to help them work their shit out, or to access warm clothing and blankets, stuff like that.
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    https://www.seattletimes.com/business/1-in-3-seattle-residents-is-considering-leaving-costs-crime-are-to-blame/

1 in 3 Seattle residents is considering leaving. Costs, crime are to blame

• Options
    edited August 2023
    JB16057 said:
    https://www.seattletimes.com/business/1-in-3-seattle-residents-is-considering-leaving-costs-crime-are-to-blame/

I wonder how that compares to other cities
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    JB16057 said:

I winder how that compares to other cities
    I thought everyone knew that Seattle had fallen? Guess not.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited August 2023
    Seattle and SF are almost unrecognizable vs 30 years ago.  Population and tech explosion is the issue,imo.  This pushed fhe other stuff up as well.

Used to be 2 of my favorite cities.  Now, I don't have much love for either one.  Perfectly happy to never visit again....and I used to fo to SF at least 1x a month for years.  Loved it.  

I'm sure it will be politicians who are to blame but in this case I think it is more tech companies / greed.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JB16057 said:

NYC they are leaving in droves.

One thing that is interesting is we are getting a bunch of retrofit jobs in the commercial buildings.  Like multiples.  They have floors and floors of empty commercial real-estate in these buildings.

These building owners believe they will come back but I don't know...

My sister lives in Seattle and she has reiterated again that she is fed up with it also.
  • Options
    Seattle and SF are almost unrecognizable vs 30 years ago.  Population and tech explosion is the issue,imo.  This pushed fhe other stuff up as well.

Used to be 2 of my favorite cities.  Now, I don't have much love for either one.  Perfectly happy to never visit again....and I used to fo to SF at least 1x a month for years.  Loved it.  

I'm sure it will be politicians who are to blame but in this case I think it is more tech companies / greed.  
    Resources.  If you have resources then people will utilize them.

Laws with no consequences.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

I think you missed why I dislike those cities now.
    It doesn't have to do with lawlessness, homeless, or any of the stuff the press tells us about.  
    I probably didn't explain properly....which is that the overruling of both cities in a mad rush to look like Tokyo and all of the bullshit that goes along with that.  Both of these explosions were driven by tech.

I'll let others worry about the lawlessness and homeless reports.  All large cities have similar issues.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383

It doesn't have to do with lawlessness, homeless, or any of the stuff the press tells us about.  
    I probably didn't explain properly....which is that the overruling of both cities in a mad rush to look like Tokyo and all of the bullshit that goes along with that.  Both of these explosions were driven by tech.

I'll let others worry about the lawlessness and homeless reports.  All large cities have similar issues.
    My sister lived in Seattle for many years and has since moved. She stated the city changed when Amazon occupied South Lake Union, Belltown, and surrounding areas.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:

My sister lived in Seattle for many years and has since moved. She stated the city changed when Amazon occupied South Lake Union, Belltown, and surrounding areas.
    And I'm sure it changed it for the (much) worse.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:

And I'm sure it changed it for the (much) worse.
    Not so much.  They are the few areas where the homeless don't run rampant.  Imagine that?

So I get what you mean about the towns.  They grew up too big.  I see that.

• Options
    JB16057 said:

One thing that is interesting is we are getting a bunch of retrofit jobs in the commercial buildings.  Like multiples.  They have floors and floors of empty commercial real-estate in these buildings.

My sister lives in Seattle and she has reiterated again that she is fed up with it also.
    Yeah there’s people who want to move in every city and people who like the city they’re in (which the poll also shows about people who want to stay in Seattle, which is the majority). I ask how it compares to other cities because these things get accelerated because of the politicization of cities being “democrat run shitholes” in the last 10-12 years. How many people want to get out of republican run Oklahoma City? 
  • Options
    JB16057 said:

Yeah there’s people who want to move in every city and people who like the city they’re in (which the poll also shows about people who want to stay in Seattle, which is the majority). I ask how it compares to other cities because these things get accelerated because of the politicization of cities being “democrat run shitholes” in the last 10-12 years. How many people want to get out of republican run Oklahoma City? 
    Do many even want to go there?  Lol.