The National Football League

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Poncier said:

Michael Irvin undergoing testing for possible throat cancer.

Hope for the best for him, like him  lot as an analyst.

He came thru cancer free, glad to hear 

he was a super nice guy when I met him on the set of inside the nfl.... I won a golf outing prize, played catch with him

got Simms, Boomer, him, Brandon Marshall to sign a ball for me

he was shot out of a cannon, lotta fun to be around 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    yeah I heard yesterday he was cancer free, very good news.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    igotid88 said:
    AAF suspends the season
    Image result for the simpsons xfl
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    igotid88 said:
    AAF suspends the season

goes to show, the appetite for football is NOT insatiable. XFL should be doomed, since it is run by trumpers. then again, the XFL may MAGA.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    AAF suspends the season

goes to show, the appetite for football is NOT insatiable. XFL should be doomed, since it is run by trumpers. then again, the XFL may MAGA.
    You were probably in your 50's when the USFL was going on, right Wob? I'm reading Jeff Pearlman's book about it right. Hell of a read. I think that league actually had a chance if it wasn't for you know who and if they didn't have a tremendous amount of bad luck with other things. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    AAF suspends the season

You were probably in your 50's when the USFL was going on, right Wob? I'm reading Jeff Pearlman's book about it right. Hell of a read. I think that league actually had a chance if it wasn't for you know who and if they didn't have a tremendous amount of bad luck with other things. 
    Really good 30 for 30 on that as well, if you haven't seen it.  Called "Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?"
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    AAF suspends the season

I just finished that book. I thought it was just ok not great.  it kind of jumped around from the business aspects to funny on-field/locker room stories.  With the talent the league had it did have a chance to succeed. Just some boneheaded owners and then baffoon ruined it on some pipe dream of getting into the NFL.  Its very interesting to hear them talk about how Trump would just blurt out ideas with no clue on how to get his idea done...and he still does the same shit today.  
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Americans don't like to watch second-tier pro sports.  I don't understand why people keep investing in 2nd rate pro football leagues.  It's why soccer will never reach NFL / NBA / MLB / NHL level status ... the US MLS clubs have inferior players, thus no one (outside of soccer nuts) can tell you who won the last title in MLS because no one cares.
    Jason P said:
    Americans don't like to watch second-tier pro sports.  I don't understand why people keep investing in 2nd rate pro football leagues.  It's why soccer will never reach NFL / NBA / MLB / NHL level status ... the US MLS clubs have inferior players, thus no one (outside of soccer nuts) can tell you who won the last title in MLS because no one cares.
    What percentage of people, outside of hockey fans, can tell you who won the Stanley Cup last year?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Jason P said:
    What percentage of people, outside of hockey fans, can tell you who won the Stanley Cup last year?

I know it's the Capitals just because of Ovechkin got a lot of coverage after it last year. But any other year, I'd have no idea. That said, I would still lump the NHL in with the big three....but as a distant, distant fourth. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Hockey is far more exciting than baseball and basketball, basketball all you have to to do is watch the last to minutes to see who is going to win...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Jason P said:

I would think a majority of US sports fans could give the name of five NHL teams.  Whereas a small minority could name five MLS teams. 
    Off the top of my head ...  DC United. Seattle Sounders.  LA Galaxy.  And that’s it.  How long has MLS existed?  
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Jason P said:
    Off the top of my head ...  DC United. Seattle Sounders.  LA Galaxy.  And that’s it.  How long has MLS existed?  
    They started playing in 1996, so relatively recently. And thanks for the mention of the most important MLS team, Go Sounders! :wink:
    I'm a soccer, hockey (we get a team in 2022!) and football. Don't care about baseball. And didn't even realize that NBA still existed (we don't have NBA coverage on Seattle news because "fuck the NBA".).  So personally, I'll stick to the 2nd tier sports. Much more excitement, and much less bullshit attitudes from the celebrity prima donna athletes. We just got a Major League Rugby team in Seattle last year and those guys are a blast to watch (and we won the cup). They don't get paid shit, they work their asses off, but they love what they do and they appreciate the fans. And people can actually afford to attend the events. I've got season tickets to the Sounders and am 2nd row in Century Link Field right behind the players' bench. Could never do that with football, basketball or baseball. But we still sell >40,000 tickets each game.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    jeffbr said:
    Jason P said:
    They started playing in 1996, so relatively recently. And thanks for the mention of the most important MLS team, Go Sounders! :wink:
    I'm a soccer, hockey (we get a team in 2022!) and football. Don't care about baseball. And didn't even realize that NBA still existed (we don't have NBA coverage on Seattle news because "fuck the NBA".).  So personally, I'll stick to the 2nd tier sports. Much more excitement, and much less bullshit attitudes from the celebrity prima donna athletes. We just got a Major League Rugby team in Seattle last year and those guys are a blast to watch (and we won the cup). They don't get paid shit, they work their asses off, but they love what they do and they appreciate the fans. And people can actually afford to attend the events. I've got season tickets to the Sounders and am 2nd row in Century Link Field right behind the players' bench. Could never do that with football, basketball or baseball. But we still sell >40,000 tickets each game.
    That's awesome.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    edited April 2019
    Build a bonfire, build a bonfire
    Put the Timbers on the top
    Throw the Whitecaps in the middle
    And we'll burn the fuckin' lot!

For some reason I know the Seattle Sounders fight song (Timbers = Portland, Whitecaps = Vancouver), but I know they didn't win the Cup last year.  Atlanta did, in their 2nd year of existence.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Jason P said:
    LA Galaxy, LA FC, Chivas USA, Seattle Sounders, NE Revolution.
    That is it for me. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

I would think a majority of US sports fans could give the name of five NHL teams.  Whereas a small minority could name five MLS teams. 
    What’s the percentage of people who know who is the reigning Stanley Cup champion though? Before ledbetterman said the Caps, I actually thought it was that Las Vegas team at first. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Build a bonfire, build a bonfire
    Put the Timbers on the top
    Throw the Whitecaps in the middle
    And we'll burn the fuckin' lot!

For some reason I know the Seattle Sounders fight song (Timbers = Portland, Whitecaps = Vancouver), but I know they didn't win the Cup last year.  Atlanta did, in their 2nd year of existence.
    <sung to the tune of Oh, My Darling Clementine>
    Hell, yeah! Nice one! :lol:
    And yes, Atlanta came into the league on fire and won it all their 2nd year. They may be fizzling this year, though. Although they're now setting the attendance records and have great fan support. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    AAF suspends the season

Good to hear.....that book is next on my list.  Pearlman is awesome....I've enjoyed all of his books and especially the books on the 86 Mets and the 90s Cowboys. Check those out if you haven't already...
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Reading this article made me very happy.  I wish they didn't fire McCarthy!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay
    Jason P said:
    That is it for me. 
    Toronto FC, Orlando City, New York City FC, Red Bull NY, Minnesota Utd, Columbus Crew, Chicago Fire, Sporting KC, Houston Dynamo, Philadelphia Union, Montreal Impact, FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake, Colorado Rapids, San Jose Earthquake & already named Atlanta Utd, Portland Timbers & Vancouver Whitecaps.  I think that's it.
    Chivas USA folded a couple years ago.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Jason P said:
    That is it for me. 
    Toronto FC, Orlando City, New York City FC, Red Bull NY, Minnesota Utd, Columbus Crew, Chicago Fire, Sporting KC, Houston Dynamo, Philadelphia Union, Montreal Impact, FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake, Colorado Rapids, San Jose Earthquake & already named Atlanta Utd, Portland Timbers & Vancouver Whitecaps.  I think that's it.
    Ha, see how closely I follow?  One of the 5 teams I could name are no more. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I missed one, FC Cincinnati. But they just entered the league this season, I had no idea.
    Jason P said:
    That is it for me. 
    Ha, see how closely I follow?  One of the 5 teams I could name are no more. 
    I was surprised I had them all but the new team.  Figured I'd miss at least one or two more.
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

What’s the percentage of people who know who is the reigning Stanley Cup champion though? Before ledbetterman said the Caps, I actually thought it was that Las Vegas team at first. 
    That's a tough question in today's info overload environment ... considering it took me about sixty seconds to remember the red sox won the last world series, I'm guessing very few can.  There is a line of demarcation that coincides with snowfall that will either send that percentage up or down.
    I usually have trouble remembering who won the Super Bowl.
  • Hockey is far more exciting than baseball and basketball, basketball all you have to to do is watch the last to minutes to see who is going to win...

No.

One team goes down 3-0 early in the game. Team down begins to coast a bit. Team up kills time.  

Clutch. Grab. Hold. Whistle. Face off. Clutch. Grab. Hold. Whistle. Face off. Weak shot. Goaltender holds puck. TV timeout. Players meet at bench. Face off.

Repeat.

In basketball, teams are forced to keep playing. If they aren't matching possessions, then they are getting drilled. The last ten minutes will reveal the winner, but the turnover in the second quarter had as much to do with the loss as the shot missed at the buzzer.

March Madness is as exciting as it gets. No seven game series that benefits the better team: it's survival of the fittest.

Baseball is not meant to be 'sit on the edge of your seats' (although come playoffs... every pitch is nerve wracking). Having said that, I'll take it over a hockey game any day of the week.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Hockey is far more exciting than baseball and basketball, basketball all you have to to do is watch the last to minutes to see who is going to win...

No.

One team goes down 3-0 early in the game. Team down begins to coast a bit. Team up kills time.  

Clutch. Grab. Hold. Whistle. Face off. Clutch. Grab. Hold. Whistle. Face off. Weak shot. Goaltender holds puck. TV timeout. Players meet at bench. Face off.

Repeat.

In basketball, teams are forced to keep playing. If they aren't matching possessions, then they are getting drilled. The last ten minutes will reveal the winner, but the turnover in the second quarter had as much to do with the loss as the shot missed at the buzzer.

March Madness is as exciting as it gets. No seven game series that benefits the better team: it's survival of the fittest.

Baseball is not meant to be 'sit on the edge of your seats' (although come playoffs... every pitch is nerve wracking). Having said that, I'll take it over a hockey game any day of the week.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • And Philip Rivers played with a torn acl. There's wussies in every sport. What's your point?

To the soccer... you'd never find me defending its integrity. I'm not a fan (although do watch WC with a reasonable degree of interest).
    "My brain's a good brain!"