Pete Buttigieg....Here’s your new president PJ :)

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Really impressed with this guy.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Raised over 7million would love to see him debate the idiot ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Just heard this guy on MSNBC (on radio only) as I was flipping between 3 news stations.  He was very impressive.  Again, I'm not aligned with him on every issue for sure and I need to look closely at that, but he was very put together, came off as intellectual, had some interesting perspectives...and still managed to throw in a few of the usual stupid liberal talking points meant to spark outrage (but they all do that).

All in all he is someone that people should at least should be wanting to learn more about and keep in mind.  
    Enlighten us to the “usual stupid liberal talking points meant to ‘spark outrage,’” please.
    Man you always focus on minute details instead of the big picture.

When discussing “late term abortions”, he kept saying that male politicians have no business in it and it’s up to women and doctors. In reality, I thought the liberal stance was no politician has business. That I understand. The fact that he kept repeating Male and women so much is a liberal talking point.  It helps drive outrage and mobilize people. It makes a very serious issue of life and tries to paint it as a sexist issue. It is sexist for some I’m sure, but certainly not for all. If he had left it at “politicians” should have no voice, only doctors and the affected people (women, husband) I would have no issue with his statement. I mean I might not agree but it’s a very valid and arguable position. The rest is just meant to divide.

Well, he says "I, as a male politician..." and he's right. I don't take that as dividing by gender, he's speaking for himself. [And I don't want to turn this thread into an abortion debate, but, as a woman who had to make that hard choice: even though my husband's research and support were appreciated, and even though I would have taken his feelings into consideration, ultimately there was no doubt in my mind that the decision was MINE to make.]
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Anyway -- some will try to paint anyone with an IQ above room temperature as an "elitist" -- if you stop and think, this makes no sense. Do you really want the drunk at the end of the bar running the country?? (Apparently, some people do; the election of 45 seems to have been driven at least in part by people who wanted to burn it all down.)

But if you have listened to "Mayor Pete" speak, you probably have noticed that he's able to speak to people plainly and to meet them where they are. He's presenting himself as someone who can speak to voters who chose Obama and then... the other one. He has the ability to make people feel that he sees them.  
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Just heard this guy on MSNBC (on radio only) as I was flipping between 3 news stations.  He was very impressive.  Again, I'm not aligned with him on every issue for sure and I need to look closely at that, but he was very put together, came off as intellectual, had some interesting perspectives...and still managed to throw in a few of the usual stupid liberal talking points meant to spark outrage (but they all do that).

All in all he is someone that people should at least should be wanting to learn more about and keep in mind.  
    Enlighten us to the “usual stupid liberal talking points meant to ‘spark outrage,’” please.

When discussing “late term abortions”, he kept saying that male politicians have no business in it and it’s up to women and doctors. In reality, I thought the liberal stance was no politician has business. That I understand. The fact that he kept repeating Male and women so much is a liberal talking point.  It helps drive outrage and mobilize people. It makes a very serious issue of life and tries to paint it as a sexist issue. It is sexist for some I’m sure, but certainly not for all. If he had left it at “politicians” should have no voice, only doctors and the affected people (women, husband) I would have no issue with his statement. I mean I might not agree but it’s a very valid and arguable position. The rest is just meant to divide.

Well, he says "I, as a male politician..." and he's right. I don't take that as dividing by gender, he's speaking for himself. [And I don't want to turn this thread into an abortion debate, but, as a woman who had to make that hard choice: even though my husband's research and support were appreciated, and even though I would have taken his feelings into consideration, ultimately there was no doubt in my mind that the decision was MINE to make.]

Time to let that GOP loving into your heart. They only want what's best for you.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Anyway -- some will try to paint anyone with an IQ above room temperature as an "elitist" -- if you stop and think, this makes no sense. Do you really want the drunk at the end of the bar running the country?? (Apparently, some people do; the election of 45 seems to have been driven at least in part by people who wanted to burn it all down.)

But if you have listened to "Mayor Pete" speak, you probably have noticed that he's able to speak to people plainly and to meet them where they are. He's presenting himself as someone who can speak to voters who chose Obama and then... the other one. He has the ability to make people feel that he sees them.  
    agree. really like what I've heard so far. now on to direct policy proposals....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Time to let that GOP loving into your heart. They only want what's best for you.

LOL. Thanks, but I'm a big girl and can figure that out myself.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

LOL. Thanks, but I'm a big girl and can figure that out myself.
    No really, let them help.

Let President Trump choose your ethics for yourself.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Looking forward to this. Looks like their going to get some weather. I see this getting built up as some “announcement”. I guess he’s running for president, lol. I think we know this already, Pete! I hope maybe he unveils some specific policy ideas. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Hi! said:
    Looking forward to this. Looks like their going to get some weather. I see this getting built up as some “announcement”. I guess he’s running for president, lol. I think we know this already, Pete! I hope maybe he unveils some specific policy ideas. 
    He confirmed (pretty much) he was gonna announce in his hometown/state on Ellen.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    We already know the guy is running?
    Really like Pete totally genuine human being , I’d vote for him I hope he has thick skin for the evil crap that will surely come from all his opponents even from his own party..
    my2hands said:
    We already know the guy is running?
    Lol, could you imagine all these people coming, a big elaborate setup, and he announces he’s decided not to run. Lol, that would be hilarious.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

The whole family is going to a watch party this afternoon. We're excited! My son is making plans to work on a campaign; he's torn between Buttigieg and Harris. I'm hoping the momentum keeps growing,
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    See here is a candidate that I certainly don’t agree with on every issue. Some complete opposites. But he is smart, sincere and has a straightforward matter of fact manner about him. This is the kind of candidate the Dems need to run. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I am really of two minds about the Christian faith aspect here. I can, to some extent, agree with his strategy of "taking back" the faith angle from the republicans (particularly as they have made such an extraordinarily hypocritical mess of it) but I would prefer to see it taken completely out of the picture for elections, and governance in general. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    See here is a candidate that I certainly don’t agree with on every issue. Some complete opposites. But he is smart, sincere and has a straightforward matter of fact manner about him. This is the kind of candidate the Dems need to run. 
    Agreed. I think he's got some of Obama's ability to sell an important message through a meaningful story, and the fact that he's such an eloquent speaker is sure to help. He's also not sugar-coating the direness of certain issues, yet is still not leading through fear of the future but rather talking about calls to action. I agree with that approach if the world wants a future at all. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    I am really of two minds about the Christian faith aspect here. I can, to some extent, agree with his strategy of "taking back" the faith angle from the republicans (particularly as they have made such an extraordinarily hypocritical mess of it) but I would prefer to see it taken completely out of the picture for elections, and governance in general. 
    I've seen religion bastardized way too much to not be skeptical, but a devout Christian man who also happens to be gay must also have witnessed the imperfections in religion, and I have to believe he'd have a more balanced perspective than others. So far he hasn't spoken with that aura of "because God tells me I'm chosen to do this", and hasn't read out of the undue thought control playbook yet as far as I've seen.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    Pete will be on Rachel Maddow's show tonight.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Replying to
    @PeteButtigieg
    This is a gussied-up version of "thoughts and prayers." What about the guns, Mayor Pete?

my2hands said:
    Replying to
    @PeteButtigieg
    This is a gussied-up version of "thoughts and prayers." What about the guns, Mayor Pete?

I think there's a pretty large difference between "our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims" and "we cannot rest until hate has no home". A call to action can make a pretty benign statement into something useful. 

EV
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    benjs said:
    my2hands said:
    Replying to
    @PeteButtigieg

I think there's a pretty large difference between "our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims" and "we cannot rest until hate has no home". A call to action can make a pretty benign statement into something useful. 
    Agree
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Some a-holes never learn....

Far-Right Smear Merchants Try to Slime Pete Buttigieg with Bogus Sex Assault Claim

https://www.thedailybeast.com/far-right-smear-merchants-jacob-wohl-and-jack-burkman-try-to-slime-pete-buttigieg-with-bogus-sex-assault-claim?source=twitter&via=desktop#
    Why is it only the fucking Republicans do shit like this they are so vile , when have we seen Democratic think tanks attack Republican candidates?