Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,625
    brianlux said:

The Democratic Candidates?

I don't see any of them, having a fucking chance in Hell, in 2020.

I hope you're wrong but if you are correct, hell is exactly what this country will be. 
    brianlux said:

I hope you're wrong but if you are correct, hell is exactly what this country will be. 

It will once again come down to the swing states, and the electoral college. Are people happier and doing better with their lives since Trump took office? Or have they done worse? Once again the swing states will decide? Right?  
    Yes,  so why do you think no Democrat has a "fucking chance"? Is it the unpopular tax cuts,  the fact that the administration has only attacked heath care? Is it the growing trade imbalance or the exploding debt? Is it the fact that fewer jobs have been created in the first two years of Trump than the last two of Obama, with the double the debt?  Or maybe the coming recession?
    What is trump going to run on to turn out his base while suppressing the highly motivated Democrats, where only 4 million fewer people voted in 18 than 16 for the D? 
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,791
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

It will once again come down to the swing states, and the electoral college. Are people happier and doing better with their lives since Trump took office? Or have they done worse? Once again the swing states will decide? Right?  
    Yes,  so why do you think no Democrat has a "fucking chance"? Is it the unpopular tax cuts,  the fact that the administration has only attacked heath care? Is it the growing trade imbalance or the exploding debt? Is it the fact that fewer jobs have been created in the first two years of Trump than the last two of Obama, with the double the debt?  Or maybe the coming recession?
    What is trump going to run on to turn out his base while suppressing the highly motivated Democrats, where only 4 million fewer people voted in 18 than 16 for the D? 

mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Jobs created? Or unemployment rate? Guess it all depends on what side of the fence youre on when discussing this? Right? Heathcare? Is Obamacare truly the answer? More people are insured yet the cost of insurance for the average American is still pure insanity. Nothing changed there. Right?

As we speak the Economy is strong, and I truly believe that will be the major factor this time around. Are people really that interested in what the Democrats have to say right now? Enough to change their vote? Is Cortez and her INSANE Green Deal going to make people go vote Democrat? Is hearing about abolishing the Electoral College, and changing the amount of Supreme Court Justices, something that is going to get people on the bandwagon? Is having a 2 year investigation in to Russian Collusion, which looks like it was nothing but pure nonsense going to sit well with undecided voters?

Guess we will all find out in 2020.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Jobs created? Or unemployment rate? Guess it all depends on what side of the fence youre on when discussing this? Right? Heathcare? Is Obamacare truly the answer? More people are insured yet the cost of insurance for the average American is still pure insanity. Nothing changed there. Right?

As we speak the Economy is strong, and I truly believe that will be the major factor this time around. Are people really that interested in what the Democrats have to say right now? Enough to change their vote? Is Cortez and her INSANE Green Deal going to make people go vote Democrat? Is hearing about abolishing the Electoral College, and changing the amount of Supreme Court Justices, something that is going to get people on the bandwagon? Is having a 2 year investigation in to Russian Collusion, which looks like it was nothing but pure nonsense going to sit well with undecided voters?

Guess we will all find out in 2020.

The economy was strong when he took office, however last year we had 2.9% GDP... with a 15% corporate tax cut.  GDP is going to be in the low 2's for 2019.  The yield curve is inverted which is one of the most accurate prediction of contraction and recession.  Germany is already in a recession, the largest economy in Europe.  So I don't think the economy will be a strength, even though that's his highest approval area.

If you think the person at the top of the ticket is going to be campaigning on the Green Deal, you've lost it.  Same with the electoral college or any of the other progressive fantasies.  It's going to be healthcare, you know the thing Trump promised to repeal and replace on Day 1 with the greatest healthcare that has ever been known to man, at a cheaper price.  

But I don't see what we need to find out in 2020.  You already declared it's over, even with a negative approval rating in the states he needs..  https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump/
  • Options
    edited March 2019

What is Trump going to run on? A strong economy and Im pretty sure he will have something to say about the 2 year collusion delusion.

My question? What is it that the democrats going to bring to the table? Because all I have seen from them in the last 2 years is how deplorable the republicans are. How racist the republicans are. How full of hate the republicans are. Am I wrong? The Trump thread is filled with 2 years of just those thoughts. Trump is evil. Anyone who voted for Trump is evil. Is that all the democrats have?  Am I wrong? I have no problem admitting when I am wrong. How is it that the democrats are going to change those swing states in 2020?  

• Options

What is Trump going to run on? A strong economy and Im pretty sure he will have something to say about the 2 year collusion delusion.

My question? What is it that the democrats going to bring to the table? Because all I have seen from them in the last 2 years is how deplorable the republicans are. How racist the republicans are. How full of hate the republicans are. Am I wrong? The Trump thread is filled with 2 years of just those thoughts. Trump is evil. Anyone who voted for Trump is evil. Is that all the democrats have?  Am I wrong? I have no problem admitting when I am wrong. How is it that the democrats are going to change those swing states in 2020?  

See the current polling, Trump is changing them all on his own.  I already said they would be running on protecting healthcare.  They will be running against the corp tax cuts, likely, as well.  Like I said, good luck with the economy thing.  Just read the tea leaves.  Jobs are a lagging indicator, never forget that.  The tide has already turned on the ten year bull run.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

See the current polling, Trump is changing them all on his own.  I already said they would be running on protecting healthcare.  They will be running against the corp tax cuts, likely, as well.  Like I said, good luck with the economy thing.  Just read the tea leaves.  Jobs are a lagging indicator, never forget that.  The tide has already turned on the ten year bull run.  

As we speak now, today, I just don't see the democrats getting in, come 2020. But I guess we will all find out soon enough. But tomorrow my semi and I leave for Miami. As many people know I live and breathe the Economy in my line of work. And in the last 2 years, since Trump took office? My life has never been better. So from and individual standpoint? Im pretty damned happy with how my life is going. Business is BOOMING, my company has given significant raises over the last 2 years. We can hardly keep up with the amount of freight that is moving. So in my eyes? Im a happy camper.

Which is basically what all those undecided voters, in the swing states, will be asking themselves. Have I done better in the last 4 years, or no?

Oh well, thanks for the conversation. Time to watch some basketball and cook a lovely dinner for my bride.

Have a good one.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

It's an uninformed opinion, to make such a statement.  Trump won by the skin of his teeth in states he needed.  He essentially drew an inside straight.  Good for him, but that means the tables can flip pretty quickly.  
    My 19-year-old self made this same argument for why I thought Kerry would beat Bush. 

And Brianlux, spare us the hyperbole. "Hell is exactly was this country will be" if Trump wins in 2020? Come on. It's not "hell" now is it? So we have a corrupt, asshole president. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

He's Pro-fascist.  He thinks he's a strongman.  Turns out he's an idiot who can't help but run his mouth every time he goes out in public.  Whoever gets the nomination NEXT YEAR should be able to dismiss this EMBARRASSMENT handily.

MAGA.   So fucking stupid.

You know the never ending candidate borrowed almost 2 BILLION dollars from Deutsche Bank and never paid back one dime.   
    Why aren't they foreclosing on his money losing golf courses?   Or on any of the 15 hotels he "operates".  

Spare us the "invincible" Don Trump.  You're delusional.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    Tiki said:

He's Pro-fascist.  He thinks he's a strongman.  Turns out he's an idiot who can't help but run his mouth every time he goes out in public.  Whoever gets the nomination NEXT YEAR should be able to dismiss this EMBARRASSMENT handily.

MAGA.   So fucking stupid.

You know the never ending candidate borrowed almost 2 BILLION dollars from Deutsche Bank and never paid back one dime.   
    Why aren't they foreclosing on his money losing golf courses?   Or on any of the 15 hotels he "operates".  

Spare us the "invincible" Don Trump.  You're delusional.
    It's mind-blowing how many white-collar criminal acts he's gotten away with over the years. And it's one thing when to rip off a bank (still inexcusable, but they'll be okay), but he's ruined the lives of so many contractors and investors by ripping them off or refusing to pay. Hillary had a lot of YouTube videos in 2016 of people that have been ripped off by Trump telling their stories. They were nauseating videos to watch. Hard-working Americans (the same that cheer him at his rallies) having their lives ruined by a corrupt asshole. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

It's an uninformed opinion, to make such a statement.  Trump won by the skin of his teeth in states he needed.  He essentially drew an inside straight.  Good for him, but that means the tables can flip pretty quickly.  
    My 19-year-old self made this same argument for why I thought Kerry would beat Bush. 

And Brianlux, spare us the hyperbole. "Hell is exactly was this country will be" if Trump wins in 2020? Come on. It's not "hell" now is it? So we have a corrupt, asshole president. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. E
    Exactly. Im not in Hell now. I wont be in Hell in 2020.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah but you thought cincy 2006 sucked...so fuck off ;)

Looks like I have been correct the last 2 years.

cincybearcat is a Russian spy.

Don’t blow my cover comrade 

Kinda being serious here for a second

If I ran around for 2 years, trying to convince every human being that I made contact with, that our President was a Russian spy? If I for one second, fell hook line and sinker for that fucking nonsense? If I truly believed that bullshit that Trump was in collusion with the Russians?

I really don't think I could show my face in public at this point in time.

I would be embarrassed to walk out of my house.

Haha

The president is a moral piece of shit.  Nothing can be put by him.  I was never convinced that he was personally colluding, but the FBI opened the investigation, not Halifax.  

I just cant believe that FOR 2 YEARS, people were shouting at the top of their lungs, that Trump was in collusion with the Russians. Day in, day out, it never ended. They thought the Mueller report was going to be released, and that Trump was going to be ousted. No questions asked, the Mueller report was going to end these folks nightmare.

From my point of view? If I were one of those people? I would turn my computer off for 2 years, and wake up every day, take a nice long walk, get some fresh air, and maybe find another hobby other than the internet.

I hate playing the 'what about' game, but unsubstantiated myths like a cover-up of Clinton's criminality (leading to two years and counting of "LOCK HER UP") and a Mexican-funded border wall (leading to two years and counting of "BUILD THAT WALL") should be enough to show any reasonably intelligent person that this is a universal problem, and not a DNC one.

The 'all eggs in one basket' approach is coming to bite the believers in an imminent impeachment in the ass, and if your annoyance is of the lack of diversity in DNC conversations, I'm right there with you, and I'm pretty sure I've said as much here. 

On the other hand, if your issue is people who are believing things which they don't understand or have enough evidence to believe in, you should be logically consistent and concede that those you agree with are as guilty of this behaviour, as those you don't.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    It always amazes and disappoints me when people think money is the most important thing in life. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,576
    Campaign 2020: Me, me, me Vs. The Other.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    A whole lot more Americans out there than some of you realize love Trump taking a tough stance on immigration and the border, mock the wall all you want, people like to feel protected... and a lot of folks love a President that openly states "America first"

Half of that other shit is garbage beltway talking points

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,576
    Fear controls. Spread it. Meanwhile, Team Trump Treason hired illegals for years, one his personal driver and others at his golf properties. Nothing like exploitation.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    my2hands said:
    A whole lot more Americans out there than some of you realize love Trump taking a tough stance on immigration and the border, mock the wall all you want, people like to feel protected... and a lot of folks love a President that openly states "America first"

I'm not talking about what Americans want - I'm talking about the gap between what they're asking for and being assured of (either by the media or their politicians), and what they're receiving. I'm talking about promises or indications that X is going to occur, and the fact that people stay faithful way longer than logic would suggest they should, and I'm talking about how that's exhibited universally.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Yep,  healthcare,  taxes,  the price of college, just DC insider stuff. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758

Beto O’Rourke’s Charter School Problem: Hint–It’s His Wife

http://www.eclectablog.com/2019/03/beto-orourkes-charter-school-problem-hint-its-his-wife.html

This single-handedly eliminates him from my consideration.

Why?
    I won't support any primary candidate with financial ties to the charter school industry. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,679
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Swing states will be a factor, yes.  A lot of them are in the mid west.  Are they doing better or worse?  Ask the people in those states that literally lost the farm due to extreme weather caused by climate change (something you-know-who doesn't believe in).  I wouldn't say better.  The question is, can they do simple math like 2 + 2 = ?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    It always amazes and disappoints me when people think money is the most important thing in life. 
    I bet way more people think & vote this way they could careless if this country is being infiltrated by a foreign government or if this administration is trampling the constitution they just don’t care like Speddy said his life is great and he gives the credit to the Baffoon...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    mrussel1 said:

As we speak now, today, I just don't see the democrats getting in, come 2020. But I guess we will all find out soon enough. But tomorrow my semi and I leave for Miami. As many people know I live and breathe the Economy in my line of work. And in the last 2 years, since Trump took office? My life has never been better. So from and individual standpoint? Im pretty damned happy with how my life is going. Business is BOOMING, my company has given significant raises over the last 2 years. We can hardly keep up with the amount of freight that is moving. So in my eyes? Im a happy camper.

Which is basically what all those undecided voters, in the swing states, will be asking themselves. Have I done better in the last 4 years, or no?

Oh well, thanks for the conversation. Time to watch some basketball and cook a lovely dinner for my bride.

Have a good one.

Great for you, congrats. But America isn't about the one.

The current gdp  is 2.2% . So massive tax cuts for the wealthy for essentially the same exact growth rate as Obama?

When Trump won by the smallest of margins, less than 1% in 4 key states (almost seems like he had outside help running a royal straight like that?)...

Voters were willing to give him a chance. And Hillary was clueless how to run an effective campaign. You are not getting a Dukakis level opponent this time.

I say good chance voters see him for what he is this time, a divider and unpresidential, who cares most about making the wealthy wealthier and enhancing racial, economic and gender divides in America

That will be easy to prove to voters during the campaign
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    mrussel1 said:

Have a good one.

The current gdp  is 2.2% . So massive tax cuts for the wealthy for essentially the same exact growth rate as Obama?

When Trump won by the smallest of margins, less than 1% in 4 key states (almost seems like he had outside help running a royal straight like that?)...

Voters were willing to give him a chance. And Hillary was clueless how to run an effective campaign. You are not getting a Dukakis level opponent this time.

I say good chance voters see him for what he is this time, a divider and unpresidential, who cares most about making the wealthy wealthier and enhancing racial, economic and gender divides in America

Hmm. Not disagreeing with you, just some random comments:

1) As a "one-percenter" who is staring at a monstrous (like, heart-attack-inducing) tax bill this year, I'd sure like to know who those wealthy folks are who got the tax cut. My guess is that they live in red states. We saw a modest paycheck increase that was literally one-ninth the size of the increase in our taxes. One. Ninth.

2) His threats to close the border with Mexico will wreak havoc on prices in the US. Mexico is one of our biggest trade partners, but he's too stupid to realize what that means.

3) I remain confident that there will be a recession between now and November 2020. And I am confident that that will have an impact on voters' decisions.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    edited April 2019
    mrussel1 said:

Have a good one.

Hmm. Not disagreeing with you, just some random comments:

1) As a "one-percenter" who is staring at a monstrous (like, heart-attack-inducing) tax bill this year, I'd sure like to know who those wealthy folks are who got the tax cut. My guess is that they live in red states. We saw a modest paycheck increase that was literally one-ninth the size of the increase in our taxes. One. Ninth.

2) His threats to close the border with Mexico will wreak havoc on prices in the US. Mexico is one of our biggest trade partners, but he's too stupid to realize what that means.

3) I remain confident that there will be a recession between now and November 2020. And I am confident that that will have an impact on voters' decisions.

I am in a blue state and encountered the largest tax increase in memory. Hope the billionaires enjoyed some of that redistribution from my pocket.

Targeting American citizens based on what state they live in is so American. Ds need to drive that point home about the great divider.
  • Options
    i believe you both are correct.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,679
    He  rubbed noses with her. 

oh 
    my  
    GOD !

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,687
    do the women running hope to win based on the sole fact they are women?  it seems because he is a front runner, thats why these are coming out now, to keep it fresh what seems to be known behaviors of him through the years and in so doing potentially forcing a polling leader out.

I want some clear definitions of what constitutes inappropriate , sexual etc.... and is there nuance in any of it. does context matter. at all.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Once again, I think it is a fetish of Joe to do this.  Sure as heck doesn't do it to males as far as we know.  And I don't know anyone who does this done this personally or who would even consider doing it, especially in today's climate. 

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    do the women running hope to win based on the sole fact they are women?  it seems because he is a front runner, thats why these are coming out now, to keep it fresh what seems to be known behaviors of him through the years and in so doing potentially forcing a polling leader out.

I want some clear definitions of what constitutes inappropriate , sexual etc.... and is there nuance in any of it. does context matter. at all.

Valid questions --

1) My understanding is that Biden gets physically close to and is rather hands-on with everyone with whom he is connecting, regardless of gender. I'm not saying this is okay or not okay, just that this is who he is and who he always has been.

2) I've seen strong suggestions that Bernie Sanders supporters are behind this. Again, just presenting that point without comment.

3) Do I think there is media bias against female candidates? After seeing what happened to Hillary Clinton over several decades, I'd have to say yes (and I say that as a woman whose current favorite is Mayor Pete).  But I don't think the female candidates are behind this particular story.

4) I think nuance and context do matter, although we haven't established any firm guidelines for okay/ not okay. Our current, Twitter-driven culture produces many rushes to judgement, and despite having that strategy blow up in people's faces repeatedly recently, we seem to keep doing it.

5) Now, one woman's perspective: (And I love "Uncle Joe") I've had the opportunity to interact socially with a number of men of Biden's age, and they tend to be, let's say, more friendly than younger men are. They like to kiss women/ me hello and goodbye. Sometimes I'm okay with this, sometimes it makes me uncomfortable (sometimes they seem just a bit too enthusiastic...). I think there are socio-economic factors in play here -- not all men of this age use this form of greeting. As a woman, and I think this is a fairly common feeling, I find that I don't know what to do when these (or other) situations make me uncomfortable. The power dynamics aren't necessarily equal. I'm not sure what the social norms are. I don't know if it's okay to speak up; if I say something, am I addressing a problem or will I be seen as irrational and demanding? If I've come to a social function with a well-cultivated firm handshake and the man I'm introduced to swoops in for a kiss, how should I react? I really don't have an answer for that.

So, I tend to give Biden the benefit of the doubt, because I believe there is no ill intent behind his actions. In the current climate, is lack of ill intent enough? for some people, yes, for others, no.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Once again, I think it is a fetish of Joe to do this.  Sure as heck doesn't do it to males as far as we know.  And I don't know anyone who does this done this personally or who would even consider doing it, especially in today's climate. 

As I just posted, I've seen accounts from several men saying that this is how he is (physically close) with everyone. And I've socialized with quite a few men of that age whose behavior is not all that different. Whether or not the behavior should change is another question, but I don't think it's fair to classify this as weird, fetishistic behavior.

This discussion has been closed.