The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    There are plenty of non photo shopped Biden experiences 
    Would you share one? As the people saying that the guy has been sexually inappropriate, the burden of verifiable proof is on you to prove any nefarious intent beyond over-affectionate. 

As an aside, I can't recall any recent '#metoo' exposures where the public got red flags because of something so seemingly innocuous as a kiss on the head or hands on shoulders. It's been more in the realms of 'he put my hands somewhere inappropriate' or 'he asked me to do this' or 'he put his hands on me here', so from the structure of the incident alone (all we have to go off at this point), it doesn't seem to be cut from the same cloth as the others.

With the recently discussed Biden incident from 2014, I can understand why the author felt the way she did, and I think it's worth Biden owning as a mistake made and worth learning from. There also should be more public discourse about how witnesses of potentially uncomfortable situations should act. We should ask each other to be ready to speak up so that a person in a moment of vulnerability and discomfort knows that they have support, emotional safety, and people who will assure that the situations aren't acceptable and won't repeat themselves. I had three women at our business come to me over a short span of time seeking support when they felt an individual was acting inappropriately with them. Once I developed a thicker skin, I spoke to the guy about these anonymous reports, and explained to him that I don't doubt his intentions were pure, but that he should be aware that everyone has a different set of acceptable boundaries, and that he needs to be aware that his boundaries need to be reined in. I've had no more incidents with the person, and his colleagues tell me they've seen improvements. The key I've found is to be generous with assumptions (i.e. assume miscommunication, not sexual deviance), but swift and transparent with corrective actions. 

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And how many of those experiences have turned into accusations and lawsuits?  The only one I know of is this one recently.  Isn't it for a woman to at least start the conversation with how she felt?  Or does the media get to be judge jury and executioner?
    Explaining away....
    So do you think it's disqualifying or not?
    I think that’s a question for everyone to answer on their own. I won’t vote for Joe Biden unless he is up against a bigger creep. 
    Fair enough, so presuming Biden wins the nomination, your morals will obligate you to vote for him over Trump.  Is this a correct statement?
    benjs said:
    Would you share one? As the people saying that the guy has been sexually inappropriate, the burden of verifiable proof is on you to prove any nefarious intent beyond over-affectionate. 

As an aside, I can't recall any recent '#metoo' exposures where the public got red flags because of something so seemingly innocuous as a kiss on the head or hands on shoulders. It's been more in the realms of 'he put my hands somewhere inappropriate' or 'he asked me to do this' or 'he put his hands on me here', so from the structure of the incident alone (all we have to go off at this point), it doesn't seem to be cut from the same cloth as the others.

With the recently discussed Biden incident from 2014, I can understand why the author felt the way she did, and I think it's worth Biden owning as a mistake made and worth learning from. There also should be more public discourse about how witnesses of potentially uncomfortable situations should act. We should ask each other to be ready to speak up so that a person in a moment of vulnerability and discomfort knows that they have support, emotional safety, and people who will assure that the situations aren't acceptable and won't repeat themselves. I had three women at our business come to me over a short span of time seeking support when they felt an individual was acting inappropriately with them. Once I developed a thicker skin, I spoke to the guy about these anonymous reports, and explained to him that I don't doubt his intentions were pure, but that he should be aware that everyone has a different set of acceptable boundaries, and that he needs to be aware that his boundaries need to be reined in. I've had no more incidents with the person, and his colleagues tell me they've seen improvements. The key I've found is to be generous with assumptions (i.e. assume miscommunication, not sexual deviance), but swift and transparent with corrective actions. 

Perfectly stated.  
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    ^ Troll and Prospect silently thinking if they need to shank the VPOTUS in the back ally to maintain club respect
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And how many of those experiences have turned into accusations and lawsuits?  The only one I know of is this one recently.  Isn't it for a woman to at least start the conversation with how she felt?  Or does the media get to be judge jury and executioner?
    Explaining away....
    So do you think it's disqualifying or not?
    I think that’s a question for everyone to answer on their own. I won’t vote for Joe Biden unless he is up against a bigger creep. 
    Fair enough, so presuming Biden wins the nomination, your morals will obligate you to vote for him over Trump.  Is this a correct statement?
    Yup. Unless I can’t stomach it and I vote 3rd party.  But I’m pretty sure if vote for Biden then.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The US presidency boils down to who is less creepy...LMFAO.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The US presidency boils down to who is less creepy...LMFAO.
    It just might. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    edited March 2019

Beto O’Rourke’s Charter School Problem: Hint–It’s His Wife

http://www.eclectablog.com/2019/03/beto-orourkes-charter-school-problem-hint-its-his-wife.html

This single-handedly eliminates him from my consideration.
    Post edited by what dreams on

http://www.eclectablog.com/2019/03/beto-orourkes-charter-school-problem-hint-its-his-wife.html

That might be the weirdest reason I’ve seen. But to each their own.

The number of people working in fields that have nothing to do with their degrees seems quite large.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    FWIW, re the Biden kissing thing... I have always felt that Biden is simply a bit overly affectionate at times in an innocent way and is a bit of an awkward clod about it. I don't feel that there is anything sexual about it at all, and while poorly executed at times, I think it's actually just him being a nice person. I could be naive about it I guess, but....
    If it was Mike Pence, or any other GOP,  would you honestly feel the same? 
    I agree with Cincy about this being a terrible comparison. Pence is way too creepy and sexist for the same behaviour from him to even be conceived. I think this about Biden in particular because it's Biden specifically and because I'm considering all factors when it comes to him as a person. But assuming you're suggesting I am just saying that because I am biased, no, I'm not biased like that. I think that's been evidenced in my history of even defending Trump himself when people say some bullshit about him that I didn't think was fair.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788

The Democratic Candidates?

I don't see any of them, having a fucking chance in Hell, in 2020.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Yeah but you thought cincy 2006 sucked...so fuck off ;)
    hippiemom = goodness

Looks like I have been correct the last 2 years.

cincybearcat is a Russian spy.

Don’t blow my cover comrade 
    hippiemom = goodness

Kinda being serious here for a second

If I ran around for 2 years, trying to convince every human being that I made contact with, that our President was a Russian spy? If I for one second, fell hook line and sinker for that fucking nonsense? If I truly believed that bullshit that Trump was in collusion with the Russians?

I really don't think I could show my face in public at this point in time.

I would be embarrassed to walk out of my house.

Haha

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Why?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

If I ran around for 2 years, trying to convince every human being that I made contact with, that our President was a Russian spy? If I for one second, fell hook line and sinker for that fucking nonsense? If I truly believed that bullshit that Trump was in collusion with the Russians?

Haha

The president is a moral piece of shit.  Nothing can be put by him.  I was never convinced that he was personally colluding, but the FBI opened the investigation, not Halifax.  
    I personally never thought trump was a Russian asset or colluded. I do think he is shady and walked a fine line to ignore and benefit from Russian interference. And I think as president elect, him ignoring their attack on our election process is reason enough for him to be removed from office. And I certainly think he obstructed justice. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    mrussel1 said:

Haha

The president is a moral piece of shit.  Nothing can be put by him.  I was never convinced that he was personally colluding, but the FBI opened the investigation, not Halifax.  

I just cant believe that FOR 2 YEARS, people were shouting at the top of their lungs, that Trump was in collusion with the Russians. Day in, day out, it never ended. They thought the Mueller report was going to be released, and that Trump was going to be ousted. No questions asked, the Mueller report was going to end these folks nightmare.

From my point of view? If I were one of those people? I would turn my computer off for 2 years, and wake up every day, take a nice long walk, get some fresh air, and maybe find another hobby other than the internet.

mrussel1 said:

Haha

I just cant believe that FOR 2 YEARS, people were shouting at the top of their lungs, that Trump was in collusion with the Russians. Day in, day out, it never ended. They thought the Mueller report was going to be released, and that Trump was going to be ousted. No questions asked, the Mueller report was going to end these folks nightmare.

From my point of view? If I were one of those people? I would turn my computer off for 2 years, and wake up every day, take a nice long walk, get some fresh air, and maybe find another hobby other than the internet.

Why not wait for the Mueller report to be released before doing that?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    It ain’t over yet. But you’re “okay with it.” I get it.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

I hope you're wrong but if you are correct, hell is exactly what this country will be. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mrussel1 said:

Haha

This is the bottom line.  This and the fact that the man is not qualified to be POTUS.  Any other argument is moot.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

I hope you're wrong but if you are correct, hell is exactly what this country will be. 
    It's an uninformed opinion, to make such a statement.  Trump won by the skin of his teeth in states he needed.  He essentially drew an inside straight.  Good for him, but that means the tables can flip pretty quickly.  
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

It's an uninformed opinion, to make such a statement.  Trump won by the skin of his teeth in states he needed.  He essentially drew an inside straight.  Good for him, but that means the tables can flip pretty quickly.  
    I think so.  Honestly, I'd be surprised if Trump is re-elected.  Massively bummed, without a doubt, but surprised.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I think so.  Honestly, I'd be surprised if Trump is re-elected.  Massively bummed, without a doubt, but surprised.
    He's done nothing to increase his core voting base, and judged by the midterms, he's gone the other way. 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:

Haha

And where were you that whole time? Apparently reading and not commenting, because you knew it could be true. 

So spare us.

And maybe you might want to wait before taking a victory lap, nothings over yet.
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

Haha

And where were you that whole time? Apparently reading and not commenting, because you knew it could be true. 

So spare us.

And maybe you might want to wait before taking a victory lap, nothings over yet.

I knew it could be true? Wrong.

I never ever once believed the whole Russian Spy nonsense.

It pretty much seemed like pure horse hooey from day one.

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

It will once again come down to the swing states, and the electoral college. Are people happier and doing better with their lives since Trump took office? Or have they done worse? Once again the swing states will decide? Right?  
This discussion has been closed.