2018/2019 NBA Thread

Comments

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Poncier said: And looks like he could have been Matt Dillon's stand-in in "There's Something About Mary" in that picture.
    :lol:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited March 2019
    While most players have taken to giving away their pairs after victories, when they're presumably in a good and giving mood Mitchell has taken a different approach all season long. He'll break out a new size-15 pair of the Adidas Pro Bounce Low or the Adidas Pro Vision for his sweat-drenched pregame workout, then find an early-arriving fan for a more intimate sit-down and handoff. The pregame approach has in theory led to even more giveaway pairs for Mitchell, whose Utah Jazz are currently 8th in the combative Western Conference, having hovered above .500 for most of the season. The pregame moment also allows for Mitchell to take more time with his autograph, and pose for pictures and videos with fans. Recently, that included 102-year-old Roberta Morgan, a lifelong Jazz fan. While she never miss a game on TV, she'd never before attended one in person. When Mitchell heard the team would be hosting Morgan courtside for an upcoming game, clad in her own custom #102 Jazz jersey, he arranged for another pregame sneaker drop-off, signing his red Pro Vision PE along the toe cap before giving them to Morgan. She instantly held the shoes up like she was hoisting the Larry O'Brien Trophy in June.

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Pap said:
    While most players have taken to giving away their pairs after victories, when they're presumably in a good and giving mood Mitchell has taken a different approach all season long. He'll break out a new size-15 pair of the Adidas Pro Bounce Low or the Adidas Pro Vision for his sweat-drenched pregame workout, then find an early-arriving fan for a more intimate sit-down and handoff. The pregame approach has in theory led to even more giveaway pairs for Mitchell, whose Utah Jazz are currently 8th in the combative Western Conference, having hovered above .500 for most of the season. The pregame moment also allows for Mitchell to take more time with his autograph, and pose for pictures and videos with fans. Recently, that included 102-year-old Roberta Morgan, a lifelong Jazz fan. While she never miss a game on TV, she'd never before attended one in person. When Mitchell heard the team would be hosting Morgan courtside for an upcoming game, clad in her own custom #102 Jazz jersey, he arranged for another pregame sneaker drop-off, signing his red Pro Vision PE along the toe cap before giving them to Morgan. She instantly held the shoes up like she was hoisting the Larry O'Brien Trophy in June.

That was a great story.  All of the sneaker giveaway stories are great though.

I always wondered why they didn't do this more.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Pap said:

That's awesome!  And I dig the pregame approach. Probably doesn't get the glamour and recognition that a televised post-game interaction would get, but it results in a more rewarding experience for the fans!  Mitchell seems like a world class dude.
    Pap said:

That's awesome!  And I dig the pregame approach. Probably doesn't get the glamour and recognition that a televised post-game interaction would get, but it results in a more rewarding experience for the fans!  Mitchell seems like a world class dude.
    Did no one read the article I posted about ALL the NBA players doing this?!?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Pap said:

I did, passed it on to a few folks at work as well.  The part on Westbrook cracked me up, totally fits his style.  Definitely enjoy seeing this kind of stuff become more and more the norm.
    Pap said:

I did, passed it on to a few folks at work as well.  The part on Westbrook cracked me up, totally fits his style.  Definitely enjoy seeing this kind of stuff become more and more the norm.
    Good, awesome!

I look forward to reading more about it.  I remember Jordan being very selective with who he gave his shoes to.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

23scidoo said:
    Reminds me of the Nick Van Excel years...  I hated those Lakers.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    23scidoo said:
    I hate every version of the Lakers!
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:
    I hate every version of the Lakers!
    That's not nice.  Magic was/is an all time great along with West, Kareem and Worthy.

Hell I'll even throw in Rambis and Scott too.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    devin booker has 47 through 3 quarters.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    No one talks about the buzzer of the year??

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Hoping Bucks smash the Rockets today. Not that one game should make a difference, but Giannis is the MVP this year. Harden has had a great offensive season, but the Giannis plays both sides of the floor and deserves the MVP
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    edited March 2019
    No Coder said:
    Hoping Bucks smash the Rockets today. Not that one game should make a difference, but Giannis is the MVP this year. Harden has had a great offensive season, but the Giannis plays both sides of the floor and deserves the MVP

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

Do yourself a favor and don't watch the Jusef Nukic leg break.

He is going to make a full recovery thank goodness.
    Dearon Fox or Ben Simmons?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    To win next year's 3 point shooting contest?
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    HAHAHAH!.  Who would you take now seeing how they've both been playing?

I've been a fan of Fox and still see the huge upside to him.
    Do yourself a favor and don't watch the Jusef Nukic leg break.

He is going to make a full recovery thank goodness.
    Oh man, that was hard..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

Congrats to Chris Bosh and his Jersey being retired in Miami.

He did part of his speech in Spanish too.

Bosh was an amazing player and it was sad that his career got cut short.  No doubt that he goes in to the HOF.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170

Bosh was an amazing player and it was sad that his career got cut short.  No doubt that he goes in to the HOF.
    I'd put him as borderline.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:

I'd put him as borderline.
    Wow, 11 straight years an all-star doesn't do it for you?
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Poncier said:

Fox has been really good this year and could end up being the best in that draft class if he continues his progression (Yes!, I think he'll be better than Tatum).  Simmons has the edge for me, as I think he's got the edge in most skills (rebounding/passing/defending)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    No Coder said:
    Poncier said:

Fox has been really good this year and could end up being the best in that draft class if he continues his progression (Yes!, I think he'll be better than Tatum).  Simmons has the edge for me, as I think he's got the edge in most skills (rebounding/passing/defending)

pretty shitty draft class, now that I’ve reviewed it.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    dude! just shave your head.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    my wife’s friend works in a flower shop. she also has a son who’s a bit “on the spectrum.” he loves the jazz. ricky rubio comes into the flower shop. he gave my wife’s friend a team signed ball for her kid. :smiley:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I would rather my Jazz fall to 6 or 7 than face the Houston Hardens.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Well, 6 games left and the lakers shut down LeBron...