Leaving Neverland

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
Anyone watching this?  Pretty amazing stuff.
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Do you believe any of it?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    No.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Absolutely.  Dude was a freak.  The faxes to that kid alone should make anyone question Jackson's denials.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Absolutely.  Dude was a freak.  The faxes to that kid alone should make anyone question Jackson's denials.
    I haven't watched it yet.  I'm thinking that I need to though.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Saw bits and pieces of it last night. At best MJ was a creep.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    He was a predator...not much more than be said...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I'm not sure why this is making waves now, when it's all been out there forever and nobody cared. Then again, stories about Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby were out there forever, and people kept looking the other way, so --

Too many people are willing to look away if the accused is famous enough, powerful enough, puts enough butts in seats. So, no, I'm not watching because I know it will just make me angry.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I'm not sure why this is making waves now, when it's all been out there forever and nobody cared. Then again, stories about Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby were out there forever, and people kept looking the other way, so --

Too many people are willing to look away if the accused is famous enough, powerful enough, puts enough butts in seats. So, no, I'm not watching because I know it will just make me angry.
    “Anger is a gift.”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

“Anger is a gift.”
    "Anger is an energy...."

I'm not sure that we heard from the victims as directly as this....I could be wrong.

Interesting that Mac Culkin still denies any sexual assault.  My guess is that he just doesn't want to admit it.

I'm not sure that we heard from the victims as directly as this....I could be wrong.

Interesting that Mac Culkin still denies any sexual assault.  My guess is that he just doesn't want to admit it.
    Corey Feldman always defended Michael Jackson too.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

In the cases of Culkin and Feldman, perhaps Jackson and/or his accomplices knew that the risk would be too great for him to try to have his way with a child star. Plus, they were nice props for other parents and their children to see with Jackson, likely helping to alleviate any concerns that they might have. And in the long haul, we’re still saying but Culkin and Feldman said ....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Still love this skit from In Living Color.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yvfa54j4T0
    It's a hopeless situation...
    dankind said:

In the cases of Culkin and Feldman, perhaps Jackson and/or his accomplices knew that the risk would be too great for him to try to have his way with a child star. Plus, they were nice props for other parents and their children to see with Jackson, likely helping to alleviate any concerns that they might have. And in the long haul, we’re still saying but Culkin and Feldman said ....
    That could very well be the case...and yes, just like the two kids that didn't tell their mothers at the time, some victims will bottle it up forever

Radio stations are dropping the diddlers music.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I watched this last night. Disturbing. I believe all of it. 
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    tbergs said:
    MJ was a gold mine for that show.  They made fun of him constantly, not that it was all that hard to do.  My fave was the MJ potato head toy, with different wigs and noses.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    tbergs said:
    Is that the kid from Home Improvement playing Culkin?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Poncier said:
    tbergs said:
    Is that the kid from Home Improvement playing Culkin?
    Yes, yes it is. Young Simba, Jonathan Taylor Thomas. I was shocked to see that when I pulled up this old clip too. I forgot he was the kid. Must have been right before or after the show started.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    I don't think I'll bother watching this - it wouldn't change anything for me, and only kind of disturb me. I see no point.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,642
    He was a smooth criminal...

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Fuck this guy.  I hope the few remaining people who continue to defend him will just be silent now.  Creepy mofo.  
    Child predators should all die a slow and painful death.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I watched all 4 hours and then the 'After Neverland' special on OWN. 

I absolutely believe both of them. They are so honest about their experience and still are conflicted about betraying MJ though they are in their 40's. 

It really isn't about MJ so much as it shows how a pedophile grooms and manipulates children so that they become loyal to him (or her) and don't think that anything bad ever happened to them.   The break seemed to happen when they had children, they spiraled when they saw their male children in the same position that they were in. 

All abusers use the same manipulation tactics but to do it to a child is especially heinous. The sexual part of it is horrendous, but what has caused the most harm to them is they had their entire view of the world and emotions shaped by MJ.  The show is done in such a precise way as to clearly lay out how the grooming and loyalty and isolation is done. To the families also. These guys were speaking from the deepest parts of their souls and are struggling to this day.

I think that Culkin was no different than the rest, he just has decided to keep it locked up. He got weird and kinda disappeared from view. Who knows what pain he may be in. MJ was such an icon that Culkin's success wouldn't have made a difference. The marriages were used to deflect away from what he was doing and I think he had kids so that he wouldn't be alone. I can't help but wonder if he sexually abused them. 

It was not sensationalized but it was intense, emotional and informative. I really hope the guys are able to heal - one seems to be further along than the other. But they have a long way to go. That is so sad. 

It was really well done IMO.  
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Watched about 50% of it tonight.

Completely believe the accusers.  Reminds me a lot of the tactics used by mel hall in a recent article i read.  
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    MayDay10 said:

Completely believe the accusers.  Reminds me a lot of the tactics used by mel hall in a recent article i read.  
    Was it in SB Nation? I googled him (didn't know he was a ball player) and I'm into the 3rd chapter of this article - exactly the same tactics - you are so right.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

What's interesting? Maybe it's just this easy: Mac Culkin denies any sexual assault because he was never a victim of sexual assault.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    njnancy said:
    MayDay10 said:

Was it in SB Nation? I googled him (didn't know he was a ball player) and I'm into the 3rd chapter of this article - exactly the same tactics - you are so right.
    Yeah, thats the one. I read it a few weeks ago
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    What's amazing is that someone today can tweet an accusation out of the blue today and the pitchforks, tar and feathers come out in full force demanding heads on pikes with little to no evidence.  But if you can dance and sing ....

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Jason P said:
    What's amazing is that someone today can tweet an accusation out of the blue today and the pitchforks, tar and feathers come out in full force demanding heads on pikes with little to no evidence.  But if you can dance and sing ....

Agree.
    Everything about this just pisses me off.  I remember where I was at the time I heard he croaked and I knew the world was a much better place without this creeper.  The person I was with, a client, was a fan.  Yuck. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I sure do. Why wouldn't you? We've known for like 20 years that Jackson was likely a child molester. And these guys have enough proof of being with Jackson on stage, backstage, and at his ranch. Hell, they even have faxes and video birthday wish videos (or "congratulations" videos as Jackson says in it that he doesn't believe in birthdays). Also, it was produced by Oprah, who I doubt would sensationalize the story and make the "beloved" Michael Jackson look worse in death than he looked in life (which was already pretty damn bad) if she didn't believe the victims. 

Watching this, I can't believe people back in the 90's weren't worried when they saw a 33-year-old man walking around holding hands with 9-year-old boys. Maybe people were trying not to be cynical and just thought "No way Michael Jackson would be molesting that kid."  I'm not a fan of how cynical our society has become, but nowadays, the moment he was seen holding a boy's hand, he'd be the subject of ridicule and criticism, and that would have been a good thing.  
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com