PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    I'll brew you!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Nats say they are out and Sox won't go long term.  Phils seem to be the only team for Harper.  today maybe?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Machado presser at 11:30, so I figure..... in the next 15 minutes?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    pjhawks said:
    Nats say they are out and Sox won't go long term.  Phils seem to be the only team for Harper.  today maybe?
    Giants?  Yanks should offer like 2 years $100 mil and see what he says.
    hahahah.  We've moved on but the door is cracked a little bit.

“Nothing’s really changed on our end,” said Lerner. “We’ve moved on, as I said [in December]. We had to. There was no way we could wait around. Bryce, I’m sure, will make his decision hopefully in the next few days. But we’ve filled out our roster, and we wish him nothing but the best. But, there’s always that — the door is cracked a little bit.”
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited February 2019
    Longer this harper stuff drags out the worse I think it is for the Phillies.  Just give him the deal he wants and be done with it before you miss on him the way they missed on machado.  

I really don't understand why they didn't sign both of the big names.  They have the salary room, they need upgrades in RF and 3B (with no heir apparent in the minors because this franchise is incapable of developing talent), both guys are in their prime and will be for the majority of the next decade, and they're two of the 5 best free agents to ever hit the market.  

How the hell do you get outbid by the fucking Padres???  smh
  • The Fixer said:
    Longer this harper stuff drags out the worse I think it is for the Phillies.  Just give him the deal he wants and be done with it before you miss on him the way they missed on machado.  
    I was actually thinking that the longer it drags out the better. The Nationals have said they've moved on, the White Sox have pulled out, maybe the Phillies can get him for less than the ridiculous amount he's asking for. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    The Fixer said:
    I was actually thinking that the longer it drags out the better. The Nationals have said they've moved on, the White Sox have pulled out, maybe the Phillies can get him for less than the ridiculous amount he's asking for. 
    boras is going to get him paid.  I don't believe Lerner's comments at all.  If there is no competition to sign harper then why hasn't it happened yet?  phillies are so dumb -- they're going to play themselves if they don't get this done
  • The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    boras is going to get him paid.  I don't believe Lerner's comments at all.  If there is no competition to sign harper then why hasn't it happened yet?  phillies are so dumb -- they're going to play themselves if they don't get this done
    This off-season of free agency has been so strange that I have no idea why it hasn't happened yet.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    By waiting the phillies leave the door open for harper to start considering shorter deals, which allows multiple teams to jump back into the bidding.  Just give him the $325 over 10 years and be done with it.  
    edited February 2019
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    This off-season of free agency has been so strange that I have no idea why it hasn't happened yet.
    boras wasn't allowing harper to sign before machado.  he's going to make sure harper gets the highest AAV ever.  Phillies are playing chicken and they're going to lose (because thats what they always do)
  • Ugh...I'd rather hold out for the (probably unrealistic) pipe-dream of signing Trout in two years than to give that douche Harper that much money.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Ugh...I'd rather hold out for the (probably unrealistic) pipe-dream of signing Trout in two years than to give that douche Harper that much money.
    yeah, this makes zero sense

also, harper is fucking awesome
  • The Fixer said:
    Ugh...I'd rather hold out for the (probably unrealistic) pipe-dream of signing Trout in two years than to give that douche Harper that much money.

He's not THAT awesome. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    The Fixer said:

He's not THAT awesome. 
    10 years, $325.  He's worth every penny for numerous reasons.  You just don't get chances to sign guys like him in their prime.

I really hate being a phillies fan
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Harper is inconsistently awesome.
    Hope they sign him, it will be fun to watch. 
    Trout being here would break the world, can never happen.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:

He's not THAT awesome. 
    10 years, $325.  He's worth every penny for numerous reasons.  You just don't get chances to sign guys like him in their prime.

Yes, we know you hate being a Phillies fan. 

At only 25-years-old, I guess ya gotta do it. I don't think it's what he really wants (to be in Philly) but whatever. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:

He's not THAT awesome. 

At only 25-years-old, I guess ya gotta do it. I don't think it's what he really wants (to be in Philly) but whatever. 
    He couldn't give a shit where he plays.  He'd play in Japan or for the Long Island Ducks if they paid him the most money.  It's all Boras playing games.
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:

He's not THAT awesome. 

He couldn't give a shit where he plays.  He'd play in Japan or for the Long Island Ducks if they paid him the most money.  It's all Boras playing games.
    exactly.  boras is going to get harper the money he's worth.  phillies need to just fucking pay him already.

it sucks rooting for a team that surprises you when they don't fuck something up.
  • Has any other gazillion dollar per year player ever been a free agent this long? I can't recall if any sought-after free agents like this have been unsigned when spring training has already begun. I'm guessing yes but I can't think of any specific cases. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Has any other gazillion dollar per year player ever been a free agent this long? I can't recall if any sought-after free agents like this have been unsigned when spring training has already begun. I'm guessing yes but I can't think of any specific cases. 
    JD martinez signed around this time last year.  Markets evolve over time, so really not apples to apples.  
    Arrieta, not a gazillion dollar player, but a pretty big name.
    cliff you see the Felice Brothers have a new album coming out?  and they're playing johnny brendas in may - boom
    The Fixer said:
    cliff you see the Felice Brothers have a new album coming out?  and they're playing johnny brendas in may - boom
    I did. We are going to go. The one song I heard stinks though and you're gonna love the topics...but yeah, we're going regardless.
  • The Fixer said:
    Has any other gazillion dollar per year player ever been a free agent this long? I can't recall if any sought-after free agents like this have been unsigned when spring training has already begun. I'm guessing yes but I can't think of any specific cases. 
    JD martinez signed around this time last year.  Markets evolve over time, so really not apples to apples.  
    Oh yeah that's right. I think he signed either late February or early March of last year. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited February 2019
    The Fixer said:
    I did. We are going to go. The one song I heard stinks though and you're gonna love the topics...but yeah, we're going regardless.
    haha.  I'm planning on going as well.  Maybe they can write a song about this idiot actor in chicago.  That story is my favorite thing since Mante Te'o had that girlfriend

Their new lineup isn't as good as the old shit.  Still nice to be a fan of bands who actually make music instead of just selling t-shirts and trying to be friends with beyonce
    I cannot stand that guy
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    haha.  I'm planning on going as well.  Maybe they can write a song about this idiot actor in chicago.  That story is my favorite thing since Mante Te'o had that girlfriend

Their new lineup isn't as good as the old shit.  Still nice to be a fan of bands who actually make music instead of just selling t-shirts and trying to be friends with beyonce
    lol.  That dude is dumb as it gets.

Yeah, Farley is missed.  I dig them though and am pumped for that show. Saw them there before and was a great time...plastered. 
    The Fixer said:
    I cannot stand that guy
    Likewise
    edited February 2019
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:

lol.  That dude is dumb as it gets.

Yeah, Farley is missed.  I dig them though and am pumped for that show. Saw them there before and was a great time...plastered. 
    only time I have ever been kicked out of a concert was at Johnny Brenda's during Low Cut Connie.  Was doing jameson shots with the drummer before they went on.  Mangled.  Love that place

Great spring for shows.  Deer Tick, Jim James, Jason Isbell, Felice Bros, Jeff Tweedy
    Post edited by The Fixer on