PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Haha....been having some fun with that today. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Haha....been having some fun with that today. 
    🤣
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Pretty sure I've brought this up before, but it's really kinda unacceptable that Eddie Vedder doesn't know the song "Dirty Work" by Steely Dan. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Pretty sure I've brought this up before, but it's really kinda unacceptable that Eddie Vedder doesn't know the song "Dirty Work" by Steely Dan. 
    https://youtu.be/kNpMC4FslNk
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    This shit is hilarious.

The SHN discussion is really something nobody should care about when the Catalina Wine Mixer of College Fishing Teams (the Auburn fucking Bass Fishing Squad!) Has been suspended for the year 

https://www.wired2fish.com/viral/auburn-bass-fishing-team-suspended-until-2022/

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    This shit is hilarious.

The SHN discussion is really something nobody should care about when the Catalina Wine Mixer of College Fishing Teams (the Auburn fucking Bass Fishing Squad!) Has been suspended for the year 

https://www.wired2fish.com/viral/auburn-bass-fishing-team-suspended-until-2022/

No one brings you breaking news like wired2fish.
    But seriously, I want this goddamn show to happen. I just don't think it does as things currently are - I would LIKE to enjoy the sweet ass house I rented, and drunkenly stumble to the Stone Pony to see a surprise pop-up acoustic set by a certain band where they're joined by some other guy from the area in playing the entire album of Greetings from Asbury Park. BUT....I just don't feel like any of that is going to happen.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited March 2021
    It is a strange thing with both that thread and the Ohana thread where the people would rather just look past many pieces of information to "be positive" and say the shows will happen

I had the same sorts of discussions about the Dana Point show last year and was asked to not be negative.   Ummmmm.....okay.  

They won't happen this year.

Either one of them.

Saying it makes you triggered or negative is nonsense.   (In the most literal sense of that word.)

Numbers are up in NJ and NY, I would guess PA is soon to be up as well.  People are acting like this isn't a thing any longer just because the vaccine is available.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    I think they announced yesterday that firefly is happening, right?

I mean, once the vaccine is available to everyone and they are able to get both doses, things have to open up. At that point it’s up to each person to decide what they want to do. Given the current trajectory, wouldn’t we assume that happens by the fall?

I think they announced yesterday that firefly is happening, right?

I mean, once the vaccine is available to everyone and they are able to get both doses, things have to open up. At that point it’s up to each person to decide what they want to do. Given the current trajectory, wouldn’t we assume that happens by the fall?

It says pending state approval. Plus, I think there's a difference when you're going to sell tickets under certain circumstances and when people already bought tickets under other circumstances.

From a public health standpoint just because the vaccination is available doesn't get us there. From a political/business standpoint it's all about liability. From one perspective we're not out if the woods until we hit herd immunity. From the other no one wants to get sued...because we haven't hit herd immunity.

I think if the math says like 60, 70% are vaxed in time, sure. I just don't think we're gonna make it, it's too close.

Plus, in all honesty, I don’t think large public events get back to "normal" until 2022 at the earliest. 

Bloomberg has a cool website for trajectory:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

But theirs is based on 75% vaxed, which I think is stupid high and way too optimistic. 
    edited March 2021
    I agree with both posts above....once the vaccines are available to all and the proper time has passed since that is the case then things need to open up.
    That doesn't include general admission concerts and full capacity events w/o masking and other rules, imo.

I do not want to wear masks.  I run at ass o clock in the morning in part because I don't want to zig zag all over and pull up a stupid neck gaiter thingy.  (Also -- what this fuck, it was 34 degrees out there this morning!) 
    I want to go to concerts, ballgames, etc....but I think we need to continue being careful in large gatherings until we can see this shit flatten out and the death counts stay low or overwhelmingly to the unvaccinated. 

I am going to see my mom in VT soon....sometime in May likely since I get my second shot in April.  (They have had their shots, up there, already.)  I am not going to worry about masking or distancing around them.

I am also going to fly and do a fishing trip with my buddies.  Will for sure wear mask/be cautious on flights.  Once with my buddies, I will act normally.  Not sure all of them will be fully vaccinated - at least one of them will not get it.

Tough to figure these things out.  Been over a year since I have done either of those activities and I have never gone a year w/o seeing my mother and it has been over 20 years since I have gone a year without a fishing trip with my buddies.  If we can do it safely, we think it is time.

To further cloud the issue, my wife is not getting it yet.  I very strongly disagree with her reasoning (she is not anti-vaxx) but respect her right to choose what she puts in her body, as a person with many things wrong with her immune system.  Does this mean that I have to quarantine and test before I go back into my house?
    Still have to figure that out, but yes - that probably means that.

This whole thing is fooked.

Regardless - I think neither Ohana nor SHN are happening.  General Admission events, until we are sure of things, does not see very Pearl Jam.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The whole thing is screwed. It's been a rough year, and we've had it better than most. I don't disagree with anything in the above and I think we're going to be generally wearing masks for a while.

Certainly don't disagree that we need to be careful in large gatherings, but I am pretty comfortable and have talked to friends about going to a Yankees game or two this summer.

My mom received her second shot a month or so ago, and I have seen her and been much more comfortable around her since.  My mother in law got her 2nd this past Friday, so that is a huge relief as she has a ton of health issues.

Yeah, I guess my point was less Pearl Jam related and more gatherings/events in general.
    I agree with everything. But the whole thing about being vaxed is a) you may still be able to transmit b) may be able to still get it. And there's a very good chance that's not the case but that can't be definitely stated without a substantial amount of data. Which will take time.

Plus, there's still people who get the vaccine but are immunocompromised/have respiratory issues and they're still at risk.

My main takeaway is we're on our way up, and that's great. But we're a selfish society and we want it now, and to an extent I can understand because we're fatigued. But at the same time it's really because we want the summer, and people don't like hearing it's not a flip of a switch. 

I don’t think there will ever be time in the future where I don't wear a mask indoors, in the winter, around a lot of people. Definitely in a grocery store. 
    Good thoughts.  I have an immune system that can handle almost anything -- for real, no more than 1x per year with a cold/max, and I have not taken a sick day at work in 16 years at this company.  Even with that, I am forever changed about being even crazier about hand washing/distancing, etc.  Already didn't like to be around people much, even flying 40+ times per year. 
    Didn't think through what going to the grocery store looks like 5 years from now.  Have not been inside one since the stock up in March of last year.

Wild.

Good thoughts.  I have an immune system that can handle almost anything -- for real, no more than 1x per year with a cold/max, and I have not taken a sick day at work in 16 years at this company.  Even with that, I am forever changed about being even crazier about hand washing/distancing, etc.  Already didn't like to be around people much, even flying 40+ times per year. 
    Didn't think through what going to the grocery store looks like 5 years from now.  Have not been inside one since the stock up in March of last year.

Wild.

Wait, what? You haven't gone to a grocery store since last March because you stocked up? Do you live in a submarine?

Wild.

Wait, what? You haven't gone to a grocery store since last March because you stocked up? Do you live in a submarine?

Instacart.  We did a huge stockpile 2x in March of last year....well I did, because my wife had a casting event in LA at the start of March when all of this started gearing up.  Filled our freezers up and were able to keep things going w/Instacart.  Have 1 side of the garage that has a mini fucking grocery store in it.  :lol:    
    I was already a user of Instacart as I traveled so much -- kind of funny to order your groceries from an Airport Lounge in Milwaukee or wherever but that was what we had been doing for large orders.  Still had a run to the market a time or two a week to get specific things/produce, etc, which I don't do now.
    Have not ordered from any restaurant other than pizza, which we toss in the oven at 400 for 10 minutes when we get them.

Wife has sever immune system issues and we have been extra cautious because of this but it is my personality anyway. I am in 100% or out.
    I chose "in" on this. 

Haven't seen my mom or brother/sister/their families...have not done much of anything outside of run and hike, swim in our pool, and hang with my wife and son.  Read books, drink vodka, bought a piano, learning Italian....

We are very lucky to have what we do and that nobody in our family has died from it.  (Some have had it.)  My wife has had 4 funerals of family members or friends and had to stay away from everyone during the services.

Such a strange year!
    edited March 2021
    Haha, we bought a piano, too.

I hear you on the 0 or 100 deal. Basically how I live my life to a fault. BUT in this instance, I am very impressed because there's no way I could do that. We order out weekly, and I hold my nose and jump into that Cherry Hill Wegman's every two weeks.

But I'm a believer in masking up now. I know I haven't been around as many people, of course, but to me it'll definitely be a winter staple anytime I go anywhere along with my phone, keys, wallet. I'm more laxed with summer and being outdoors. I don't think it's needed as much unless there's more than a handful of people around. But if everyone I'm with is vaxed I'm hugging like crazy. I'm looking forward to hugging my fucking in-laws that's how bad I wanna hug some people.
    edited March 2021
    We still use Instacart and my wife is always going to Giant, Wegmans, Walmart, Costco etc for pick up orders. I've gone into grocery stores for random things but I'll bet I haven't spent more than about 30 minutes total in them in the last 12 months. 

Ate inside a restaurant once last summer. Really regretted it and haven't done it since. 

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah I won't be eating inside a restaurant for a long, lonnnngggg time. I'm cool with outside tho. The thing that depresses me the most is giving up the idea of posting up in a bar for hours. Boooooooo.
    Haha, we bought a piano, too.

I hear you on the 0 or 100 deal. Basically how I live my life to a fault. BUT in this instance, I am very impressed because there's no way I could do that. We order out weekly, and I hold my nose and jump into that Cherry Hill Wegman's every two weeks.

But I'm a believer in masking up now. I know I haven't been around as many people, of course, but to me it'll definitely be a winter staple anytime I go anywhere along with my phone, keys, wallet. I'm more laxed with summer and being outdoors. I don't think it's needed as much unless there's more than a handful of people around. But if everyone I'm with is vaxed I'm hugging like crazy. I'm looking forward to hugging my fucking in-laws that's how bad I wanna hug some people.

That Wegmans is my son's favorite place to eat lunch.  We grab some shit in the store and go upstairs, where he can look down and see all of the stuff going on.  I am a Wegman's superfan.  Love our location - wonder how many folks like yourself wander over from Philly to shop there.  When we Instacart it us typically from there but the quality varies from shopper to shopper and they butt rape us on the pricing.
    My local liquor store does trunk delivery for no extra fees vs. their store pricing, although I generally throw a 10 or 20 on top of the order as tip.

Not sure if I can even think about never hanging at a bar for hours, again.  This was sort of a hobby.  :lol:               

Who is using the piano - you or your wife?  Did one of you already play?
    Oh, it's a thing. Pretty sure if you own a car in Philly (especially South Philly) you go to the CH Wegman's. I'm not a shopper, but I like knowing we have everything we need so I enjoy going and banging it out. And, of course, a huge Weg's fan. I'd like to go to the Co-Op and Sprout's and Aldi's more often but I don't have the patience to do all those stops. Big fan of the new Co-Op though so trying to give them more of my money.

Yeah, booze and beer isn't an issue here - I can get everything I need for that. But of course that Weg's spot comes in handy for that, too.

I play guitar/uke/stringed instruments and can read music, but always wanted to take it up. Same with my wife. More than anything we got it so our kids will learn at a young age. It's a decent enough 1950's Baldwin that we got off of Facebook Marketplace.

Sort of a hobby? If not for a pandemic I might be the deadbeat dad where the wife is calling the bar:  "IS HE THERE?!" I kid, I kid....
    I'm assuming yous saw the email/announcement?
    Oh, it's a thing. Pretty sure if you own a car in Philly (especially South Philly) you go to the CH Wegman's. I'm not a shopper, but I like knowing we have everything we need so I enjoy going and banging it out. And, of course, a huge Weg's fan. I'd like to go to the Co-Op and Sprout's and Aldi's more often but I don't have the patience to do all those stops. Big fan of the new Co-Op though so trying to give them more of my money.

Yeah, booze and beer isn't an issue here - I can get everything I need for that. But of course that Weg's spot comes in handy for that, too.

I play guitar/uke/stringed instruments and can read music, but always wanted to take it up. Same with my wife. More than anything we got it so our kids will learn at a young age. It's a decent enough 1950's Baldwin that we got off of Facebook Marketplace.

Sort of a hobby? If not for a pandemic I might be the deadbeat dad where the wife is calling the bar:  "IS HE THERE?!" I kid, I kid....

:lol: :lol:                       
    I was talked out of getting an old one and bought a used one that was a few years old from a music shop.  $4k later, I have a bitchin' piano.  :lol:
    For me and for my son. 

In CA I was like that at the bar(s) - here, I never settled into one and we had our nephew and then our son to be responsible for.
    I miss that life in some ways.

Europe postponed again? I assume a US announcement is coming.

Are any of you planning on trying to attend a Phils game this year? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'm assuming yous saw the email/announcement?

Easy call.  They are not playing anywhere this year.

I would love to.  Need to see how it goes - kid is gonna be 7 this summer and it is prime age if we can stay away from folks and go.

Yeah postponed to next year. Late July for the last show on that tour, so I would think they need to make a postponement announcement for Sea Hear Now no later than mid-May.

As things currently stand once we're fully juiced with some vax I'd like to go to some games. I'm comfortable with ~8, 9k in the ballpark with the current protocols. I don't feel the same way with like 50% or more capacity though. That seems a little nuts.
    Yeah I actually like the idea of having room to kick back and put my feet up. It's not like they were packing them in like they were in the late 2000's before Corona but if you wanted a good seat, it was still pretty tight. 

But I guess it will be hard getting tickets though with only that many people allowed in...what a weird time we're living in. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah I actually like the idea of having room to kick back and put my feet up. It's not like they were packing them in like they were in the late 2000's before Corona but if you wanted a good seat, it was still pretty tight. 

But I guess it will be hard getting tickets though with only that many people allowed in...what a weird time we're living in. lol
    Yeah, man, I hear ya. It is what it is - this is our new normal to some extent.

The only time - and I'm for sure very very lucky being the only thing - I was heartbroken about all this is when my daughter asked (when taking her to preschool), "Daddy, did you have to wear masks when you went to school?" Killed me.