Ryan Adams 2019

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I'm unloading all of my Ryan Adams records. I know that we don't know the "full story" yet, but I know enough to stop listening to his albums regardless of how much I like his music. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411

Spineless
  • Todd was his guitarist and best friend
    What could he possibly be afraid of?

People who may be unhinged and want some retribution? Think about it, Chris. A kicker misses a field goal in the big game and gets death threats. This kind of revenge mentality is out there. I don't blame him one bit - he's got a family to protect and if someone is unstable and thinking he was complicit and part of the problem, then there could be threats made to him as well.
    Ryan also has a temper.
    Got it. 

Ryan Adams isn't a person I would be afraid which is why I asked.

It just seems weird to be afraid of someone who will be in prison soon.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    edited February 2019
    On a related note:
    A grand jury has been convened in Cook County, Illinois, in connection with new allegations against singer R. Kelly, according to two sources close to the case.
    This is a result of a new tape with a 14-year old girl that Avenatti has been talking about.  R' Kelly's days of freedom may be limited.

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    On a related note:
    A grand jury has been convened in Cook County, Illinois, in connection with new allegations against singer R. Kelly, according to two sources close to the case.
    This is a result of a new tape with a 14-year old girl that Avenatti has been talking about.  R' Kelly's days of freedom may be limited.

He got acquitted last time - I don't know how he's gotten away with his crazy brainwashing shit for so long. I hope this tape does it, he not only is a sexual predator, he controls them and keeps them like slaves. It's scary crazy what some people are capable of doing. 

Todd was his guitarist and best friend
    What could he possibly be afraid of?

People who may be unhinged and want some retribution? Think about it, Chris. A kicker misses a field goal in the big game and gets death threats. This kind of revenge mentality is out there. I don't blame him one bit - he's got a family to protect and if someone is unstable and thinking he was complicit and part of the problem, then there could be threats made to him as well.
    Ryan also has a temper.
    Got it. 

Ryan Adams isn't a person I would be afraid which is why I asked.

It just seems weird to be afraid of someone who will be in prison soon.
    Who knows how much control Ryan has over this guy's money, how much he know about his life and would be willing to use against him (anything can be made to sound nefarious, esp when someone is good at manipulations. 

Ryan Adams has the walls closing in on him and a narcissist does not go down quietly. They like to take as many people as they can with them. 

I'm sure there are people in his circle that are still loyal for whatever reason and could damage someone's life, finances, reputation - he's gonna start striking back at people. 
    People still listen to Michael Jackson records....
    People still listen to Bruce Springsteen records..!
    Bruce is just stupid, he didn't break any laws...
    WTF did Bruce do? I googled and couldn't find anything close to nefarious. 
    njnancy said:
    On a related note:

He got acquitted last time - I don't know how he's gotten away with his crazy brainwashing shit for so long. I hope this tape does it, he not only is a sexual predator, he controls them and keeps them like slaves. It's scary crazy what some people are capable of doing.
    Last time he paid off the family and the girl refused to testify.  He learned what he could get away with it.  If you watch the documentary, the girls willingly stay with him, so it's hard to prosecute anything. Hopefully this is the end for him.

Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    njnancy said:
    On a related note:

Last time he paid off the family and the girl refused to testify.  He learned what he could get away with it.  If you watch the documentary, the girls willingly stay with him, so it's hard to prosecute anything. Hopefully this is the end for him.

I haven't watched the documentary yet but I know that the families of at least 2 girls/women that live with him can't even speak with them - they've been completely brainwashed and believe that they are happy. Since they are of age and say everything's good, nothing can be done.  It's very sad and scary.

Hopefully there's definite proof and no way for him to pay his way out of this. People shouldn't be able to get away with stuff just because they have money and power. Definitely not how the courts and police would handle the situation if this was not a famous well-connected guy. Sick.
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    On a related note:

I haven't watched the documentary yet but I know that the families of at least 2 girls/women that live with him can't even speak with them - they've been completely brainwashed and believe that they are happy. Since they are of age and say everything's good, nothing can be done.  It's very sad and scary.

Hopefully there's definite proof and no way for him to pay his way out of this. People shouldn't be able to get away with stuff just because they have money and power. Definitely not how the courts and police would handle the situation if this was not a famous well-connected guy. Sick.
    I agree.  That fear is why domestic violence/abuse has remained so prevalent.  That needs to change.  I've heard people say that if he wasn't rich and the girls weren't minorities, it would be a different result.  I can't say, but legally speaking, it's hard to prosecute the mental manipulation.  Same goes for Ryan, most of that article was manipulation.  The underage girl is what could get him legally.

• On a related note:

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    mfc2006 said:
    I'm unloading all of my Ryan Adams records. I know that we don't know the "full story" yet, but I know enough to stop listening to his albums regardless of how much I like his music. 
    Not sure about unloading them - who the hell is going to take them now?
    I feel like smashing the Carnegie Hall set with a rock...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    mfc2006 said:
    The money has already gone to him and whomever else gets a cut so I don't see why you would smash the albums. Perhaps you'll be able to listen to the music someday without thinking about the asshat singing? Maybe wait till the extreme anger of the situation passes and then make a decision. 

It's a shame to have to lose something that you purchased and enjoyed when you guys did nothing wrong. 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    njnancy said:
    goldrush said:
    mfc2006 said:
    The money has already gone to him and whomever else gets a cut so I don't see why you would smash the albums. Perhaps you'll be able to listen to the music someday without thinking about the asshat singing? Maybe wait till the extreme anger of the situation passes and then make a decision. 

It's a shame to have to lose something that you purchased and enjoyed when you guys did nothing wrong. 
    Yeah, I don't think I'd have it in me to actually smash any vinyl, no matter the reasons behind it! As I said a couple of pages back there may be a chance I'll want to listen to some of it way, way down the line. 

I've been following the thread on the tobeyoung fan forum and the anger rises and falls depending on the posts. The more people that come out and make statements, the sadder it is (for them, not RA). I keep thinking that I don't want to see any more people come forward, purely because I don't want there to be any more victims. I'm sure there's a long way to go though, unfortunately. 

I really need some new PJ right about now!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Another reason I love Pearl Jam. Men of integrity. Authentic to a fault. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Trash day is Wednesday. Bought a bunch of his back catalogue over the summer last year. Gonna be quite a pile. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Anyone able to get a refund from Pax Am on the Big Colors pre-order? 
    www.cluthelee.com
    I did. I emailed them asking if they were canceling/postponing the album before it was announced. They responded by saying that my order of the splatter LP has been canceled. The refund hit my account today.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    njnancy said:
    goldrush said:
    mfc2006 said:

I’m getting rid of them. I have the MP3’s if I ever decide to revisit them. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    njnancy said:
    goldrush said:
    mfc2006 said:

I’m getting rid of them. I have the MP3’s if I ever decide to revisit them. 
    i respect that. 
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    mfc2006 said:
    I did. I emailed them asking if they were canceling/postponing the album before it was announced. They responded by saying that my order of the splatter LP has been canceled. The refund hit my account today.
    Yeah, I emailed them too and received a similar response shortly afterward. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Have more victims came out or just people that enabled him and are now free to pile on now that there are no repercussions? 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    No one new since Leah Hayes.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    But on the NYT podcast where the reporters were interviewed, they revealed this has been in the works for 5 months and that Ryan had been watching "ava" on youtube and some of her YouTubs were labeled "Amazing 14 year old Bass virtuoso". So he fucking knew. 
    But on the NYT podcast where the reporters were interviewed, they revealed this has been in the works for 5 months and that Ryan had been watching "ava" on youtube and some of her YouTubs were labeled "Amazing 14 year old Bass virtuoso". So he fucking knew. 
    I thought it was 5 years they'd been working on it, my bad.

The continuing sadness is that of course he knew, she must have been thrilled when he started complimenting her and now she doesn't play the bass at all anymore. Who knows where she would have gone with her talent. Those are the worst effects of this sort of predatory shit. Loss of interest in what once made you who you were. 
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Anyone listen to the new Mandy Moore WTF interview? It was done a couple of weeks ago (posted yesterday) but Maron still brings up Ryan Adams and they talk a little bit about it. Maron also interviewed Adams, but that was a couple of years ago. 

www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 903
    I'm currently waiting to hear about refunds for his UK tour. The venue in Cambridge is waiting for the promoter to release a statement. Definitely not going and don't want to support him at this point.
  • LukinFan said:
    Anyone listen to the new Mandy Moore WTF interview? It was done a couple of weeks ago (posted yesterday) but Maron still brings up Ryan Adams and they talk a little bit about it. Maron also interviewed Adams, but that was a couple of years ago. 

He's a difficult person to date, I get that.

It's the 14yo thing that I have a huge problem with.
    Abusive, and manipulative. Personality disordered if I'm making my arm chair diagnosis. Of course, any one with early childhood abandonment comes away with some warped ways of attaching to others. No better example than threatening suicide if he wasn't called back or attended to immediately. Difficult to date? Not the word I would use, but I get it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    never heard a ryan adams song in my life to my knowledge. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    DewieCox said:

Spineless
    who, his guitarist?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD