Amazon HQ2 and other news

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:

I thought these were white collar jobs.  Was Amazon going to violate NY labour laws?  Other than government, not many white colour jobs are union jobs?  Are they?
    These NY politicians and apparent labor unions are channeling their inner Trumps.
    I'm not sure where the di fits in here.  Why would white colour workers want a union?  It now seems that the people who were opposed are just grasping at air now.
    Haha, they got what they wanted so how does that turn into grasping at air?
    I thought you'd be too busy trying to save nutty and the dippers from a historic defeat out there in Alberta. 
    What does that have to do with Amazon? 

Care to answer the question or are you confused?
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

I thought these were white collar jobs.  Was Amazon going to violate NY labour laws?  Other than government, not many white colour jobs are union jobs?  Are they?
    These NY politicians and apparent labor unions are channeling their inner Trumps.
    I'm not sure where the union fits in here.  Why would white colour workers want a union?  It now seems that the people who were opposed are just grasping at air now.

Then why did Amazon insist on no union?

If you believe Amazon was serious about coming here telling the strongest union city in the country no unions I got a bridge to sell you about 5 miles from where their alleged HQ2 was supposed to go.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,603

I'm not sure where the union fits in here.  Why would white colour workers want a union?  It now seems that the people who were opposed are just grasping at air now.

If you believe Amazon was serious about coming here telling the strongest union city in the country no unions I got a bridge to sell you about 5 miles from where their alleged HQ2 was supposed to go.
    Amazon did not insist on bo unions.  In fact the only union discussions were related to the existing Staten Island facility, and a policy of neutrality for votes.  The queens site was white collar. You wouldn't expect a union there. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/business/economy/amazon-union-cuomo.amp.html
    ... no unions...
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

These were mostly white collar jobs. Exactly what union did you expect?

hippiemom = goodness
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

These are white colour jobs.  They are not union jobs.  Not too many businesses are going to hold a welcome sign saying come "unionize us".
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I think we need another post declaring these are white collar non union jobs. Three in a row isn't quite enough.

Okay, everyone got it now?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited February 2019

The home of Amazon has a huge homeless problem.  A rising tide raises all ships my ass...  

If you like no soul for your town and trendy condos then Amazon is your gig.

dignin said:
    I think we need another post declaring these are white collar non union jobs. Three in a row isn't quite enough.

Isn’t this 4?
    hippiemom = goodness

The home of Amazon has a huge homeless problem.  A rising tide raises all ships my ass...  

You think Seattle's homeless issue is due to Amazon's proximity?
    mrussel1 said:

Of course. Business are to blame for everything and only politicians can save us!
    hippiemom = goodness
    dignin said:

Isn’t this 4?
    Whoosh!!!
    mrussel1 said:

Of course. Business are to blame for everything and only politicians can save us!
    You mean democracy? Politicians are elected by people to go into government to represent them and their values. That's how democracy works. Are you suggesting maybe a different way to go about this? l don't really know what you're getting at here.
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

You mean democracy? Politicians are elected by people to go into government to represent them and their values. That's how democracy works. Are you suggesting maybe a different way to go about this? l don't really know what you're getting at here.
    Yeah that’s clearly what I meant.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

Care to answer me then? I was asking questions, unlike your tactic of putting words in other people's mouths like in the above.
    edited February 2019
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

Care to answer me then? I was asking questions, unlike your tactic of putting words in other people's mouths like in the above.

Whoops wasnt you. 
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think lots of people like to go around and blame every problem on business. Especially larger companies. It happens all the time. I think a lot of that is nonsense.
    hippiemom = goodness
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah I probably do that, and maybe too much. But please don’t pretend you didn’t just do the same exact thing. 

You know I’ve been on these forums for a long time. And in the last 2 years it’s seems like there are a lot less people learning and a lot more people who are never willing to admit their faults or when they are wrong. I wonder why?

We also have a moderator regulating name calling while calling people thugs. Interesting change of events here.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mrussel1 said:

What do you think the US would look like without government intervention?  I would say you'd have polluted rivers, smog, vast monopolies, event greater wealth disparity, etc....   On the flip side, with total government power you have Russia and China which is not good either. 

What I was saying is that Amazon's presence provides jobs for that city, but that city like San Francisco is losing its soul (chain stores and restaurants, rising property values that force existing residents out, etc...).  It is a trade off and that is all I was saying. 

But with Seattle's homeless problem, how did it go when they tried to increase taxes to pay for it?  Yeah, Amazon whined like a little baby and said they would take their ball and go home.  Amazon only takes.  Green Disease. 

mrussel1 said:

What do you think the US would look like without government intervention?  I would say you'd have polluted rivers, smog, vast monopolies, event greater wealth disparity, etc....   On the flip side, with total government power you have Russia and China which is not good either. 

What I was saying is that Amazon's presence provides jobs for that city, but that city like San Francisco is losing its soul (chain stores and restaurants, rising property values that force existing residents out, etc...).  It is a trade off and that is all I was saying. 

But with Seattle's homeless problem, how did it go when they tried to increase taxes to pay for it?  Yeah, Amazon whined like a little baby and said they would take their ball and go home.  Amazon only takes.  Green Disease. 

I think a nice balance of business and government “checks” are appropriate. Certainly a need for oversight. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    mrussel1 said:

Wait amazon only takes? Really?

who here has used amazon and is thankful for the service they provide?

hiw many people do they employee? How many people sell more stuff and can employee more people because of amazon?  Small businesses sell on amazon as well. 

I think its ironic that people that are for globalization want nothing g but mom and pop shops. And people who say amazon doesn’t want completion want mom and pop shops to have no competition. People that argue that the ideals of the 50’s that some want to go back to are awful but they want to go back to the 50’s.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mrussel1 said:

I think a nice balance of business and government “checks” are appropriate. Certainly a need for oversight. 

Right.  The wealth disparity is just despicable right now.  There is clearly a problem.  Yeah, Bezos had a great idea, but should he be compensated billions for it?  I am turning into a liberal as I age because the inequity of all of this is absurd.   Where the line is drawn I can't say.   
    mrussel1 said:

Right.  The wealth disparity is just despicable right now.  There is clearly a problem.  Yeah, Bezos had a great idea, but should he be compensated billions for it?  I am turning into a liberal as I age because the inequity of all of this is absurd.   Where the line is drawn I can't say.   
    Yeah I get that. I have a really good friend who is very successful and still continues to be more and more concerned about the wealth gap. Less for those that take risk and build something. He thinks the government should have a huge “death tax”. So the one that does the work earns the $ but doesn’t create generational wealth and just keeps growing for family members. I disagree a lot but I understand the sentinment. I imagine again decent compromise could be made if politicians hadn’t become so divisive...and if Fox News and msnbc stopped using that divisiveness to gain ratings and their own $.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mrussel1 said:

The problem isn't billionaires, the problem is the tax code that renders useless the theory of progressive taxes.  Now billionaires certainly influence the tax code, so I'm not arguing that.  But I don't have an issue with Bezos or Gates being fabulously wealthy because they had fabulous ideas and executed on them.  That's a lot harder than people think.  
  • https://apple.news/AmuCIahd8R5azE6RNWxyt9w

At a certain point, enough is enough and which party wrote the current tax laws?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah I get that. I have a really good friend who is very successful and still continues to be more and more concerned about the wealth gap. Less for those that take risk and build something. He thinks the government should have a huge “death tax”. So the one that does the work earns the $ but doesn’t create generational wealth and just keeps growing for family members. I disagree a lot but I understand the sentinment. I imagine again decent compromise could be made if politicians hadn’t become so divisive...and if Fox News and msnbc stopped using that divisiveness to gain ratings and their own $.
    At some point the business owner no longer has risk and it shifts to the lendors.   Yes, they may guarantee some debt but nothing that is going to cause them to go broke.  The wealthy are not going to lose their home.  It goes to the old adage, it takes money to make money.
    mrussel1 said:

Not accurate, I don't believe.  Amazon paused construction on a new site in the city when the tax was going to be $500 per employee, per year.  After it was lowered to 275, Amazon resumed construction.  According to the info I just saw, that's 47 million per year.  

With this new head tax, it will be interesting to see if the homeless population actually grows, because there is incentive to migrate there.  
    No one person should be worth billions of dollars. It's insane and immoral.

dignin said:

He earned it. He didn't steal it.  He didn't go to war for it.  I couldn't disagree more.  
    dignin said:

So, what’s the max? Who decides? The government?
    hippiemom = goodness