Dinosaur Jr. + J Mascis

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:
    Just got home from seeing J. Absolutely in awe of that guy. He is like Hendrix in a lot of ways. Even solo and acoustic, he'll melt your fucking face off.

It was loud, but not Dinosaur Jr LOUD!

What an opportunity to see him in a small, intimate club. I'll be grinning for days after this one.
    That's great!  Glad you got to go!

I would love to see some high quality video (especially on DVD) of some of J's live stuff. 
    It looks like the Detroit show is on YT. Split up into two parts. I haven't watched it yet so I don't know about the quality. 

I hope you get the chance to see him live, Brian. The volume wasn't nearly like a DJ show. In fact, it was the first time in a long time that I didn't wear ear plugs.

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited December 2018
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:
    Just got home from seeing J. Absolutely in awe of that guy. He is like Hendrix in a lot of ways. Even solo and acoustic, he'll melt your fucking face off.

It was loud, but not Dinosaur Jr LOUD!

What an opportunity to see him in a small, intimate club. I'll be grinning for days after this one.
    That's great!  Glad you got to go!

I would love to see some high quality video (especially on DVD) of some of J's live stuff. 
    It looks like the Detroit show is on YT. Split up into two parts. I haven't watched it yet so I don't know about the quality. 

I hope you get the chance to see him live, Brian. The volume wasn't nearly like a DJ show. In fact, it was the first time in a long time that I didn't wear ear plugs.

Sounds doable for my ears!  I'll go check his tour schedule.  Thanks for the info!

Edit:  Just checked and nothing out this way.  I'll have to keep an eye out in the future.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    J's doing a solo tour in Australia next March. I'm so tempted to go to the Sydney show
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    J's doing a solo tour in Australia next March. I'm so tempted to go to the Sydney show
    Sounds like a good move, goldrush!  If you go, maybe consider posting a brief review here.  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    goldrush said:
    Think I will have to get along to either the Brisbane or Byron show....
    Saw him a few years ago and it was an awesome show!!! 
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
    redraw said:
    goldrush said:
    Think I will have to get along to either the Brisbane or Byron show....
    Saw him a few years ago and it was an awesome show!!! 
    Nice!

Two of my all time favourites in one pic posted by Lou!

(Tim Rogers)
    edited December 2018
    goldrush said:

Whoa!  Two cool cats!!

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Whoa!  Two cool cats!!
    Oh man, that's awesome!!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Whoa!  Two cool cats!!
    It’s such a cool photo isn’t it? I would possibly lose my mind if there was ever a Lou / Jeff collaboration one day!

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Whoa!  Two cool cats!!
    It’s such a cool photo isn’t it? I would possibly lose my mind if there was ever a Lou / Jeff collaboration one day!
    ......mind blown!!!! :o
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DrE4sZ0gU4

Love when Dino Jr. collab with Negative Approach! Fucking badass!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/

LOL, Brannon always looks like he's about ready to kill someone.  Great energy, just not quite my thing.  But yeah, badass, for sure.

I saw that live three times. Pretty raw and badass. 

The last time, I met the guitarist from Easy Action who is Brannon's new band.

They did an Desperado by Alice Cooper and fucking nailed it.
    edited January 2019
    HEADS UP DINOSAUR JR FANS.  This great book is half off.  I bought it new for $60 and never regretted a penny of the money spent.  So for 1/2 off, it's a smokin' deal!

Just spotted this comment! I'm surprised there's no other mention of Sweet Apple in this thread. They're definitely one of the more 'fun' side projects out there these days, and they've done some cool videos over the years. 

https://youtu.be/gCUMnJuVnqo

https://youtu.be/rQOtbBNRizI

https://youtu.be/P7z0sCneXiA

(Tim Rogers)
    Got tix to see J at a really small local venue in March - can't wait!!!
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    redraw said:g
    It's a great time. Be prepared for it to be very loud. 
    redraw said:
    Great!  Tell us all about it if you get a chance!
    dudeman said:
    Does he play loudly even when solo?  I hope not- I was thinking if he ever did a solo gig out here I would love to go see him if it's not super loud like Dinosaur Jr is.

Not loud like Dinosaur Jr, but it was the loudest solo acoustic show I've heard. By far.
    brianlux said:
    redraw said:
    Great!  Tell us all about it if you get a chance!
    Definitely!!! 
    dudeman said:
    Does he play loudly even when solo?  I hope not- I was thinking if he ever did a solo gig out here I would love to go see him if it's not super loud like Dinosaur Jr is.
    Saw him a few years ago in another really cool,  intimate venue - it was loud for 1 guy and a guitar but nothing like a Dino Jr gig....
    I guess it's never too late... :)

A Dinosaur Jr. song has topped the charts in Japan – 25 years after it was originally released
    The band have beaten stars including Ariana Grande to the top spot

Dinosaur Jr. have topped the charts in Japan with their 1994 hit ‘Over Your Shoulder’, beating Ariana Grande and more.
    The song appeared as the closing track on the album ‘Without a Sound’ and last week mysteriously became a YouTube sensation after it racked up over 8 million views – the majority of which were in Japan, according to Billboard. The band topped the ‘Hot Overseas’ chart and also entered the ‘Hot 100’ at number 18.

'Over Your Shoulder’ hasn’t been reissued in Japan and was never released as a single, leaving people unsure as to why the song has received such a resurgence.

However, some Reddit users have claimed it was used on a popular television show, Gachinko Fight Club.

In their chart report, Billboard were unable to find a specific reason why the song had received so many hits in Japan.
    They said: “The likely answer is that some unknown user uploaded a video or videos using these songs, which were then viewed enough times for the songs to make significant inroads into the ranking.”

(Tim Rogers)
    brianlux said:
    HEADS UP DINOSAUR JR FANS.  This great book is half off.  I bought it new for $60 and never regretted a penny of the money spent.  So for 1/2 off, it's a smokin' deal!

Another heads up for Dino fans- Rocket88 is now offering this book until 2/28/19 for only $15  Wow!  Smokin' deal!

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Another heads up for Dino fans- Rocket88 is now offering this book until 2/28/19 for only $15  Wow!  Smokin' deal!

Wow! That's a deal! I am sorry I missed this by 2 days
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Wow! That's a deal! I am sorry I missed this by 2 days
    Keep an eye on that sight- they have put this one on sale before.  In fact, you  might even shoot them an email and ask if you can get the sale price- the worst they can say is "no".  It's a cool book and one of very few about Dinosaur Jr. 

The only other one I have is Nick Attfield's You're Living All Over Me (one of the 33 1/3 series put out by Continuum Books), also a cool little book.

Seeing acoustic J this week - can't wait!!!
    Really enjoying the new album....
    Lou confirming the ‘Mountain Home Breakdown’ story, 31 years on

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Lou confirming the ‘Mountain Home Breakdown’ story, 31 years on

How cool is that!  Thanks for posting it.

The Azerrad book Lou mentions here is one of my all-time favorite music related books.  Definitely worth tracking down a copy!

• joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 301
    Anyone heard anything about a “Without a Sound” reissue?
    Did you guys see that Sebadoh (Lou Barlow's other band) is releasing a new album and touring?????
    10-16-2014 Detroit