Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    God bless George Carlin 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited December 2018
    my2hands said:
    God bless George Carlin 
    Amen!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This is such a cool story!

What happened next? The super raccoon who scaled a skyscraper

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited December 2018
    Here's a good story to remind people that hate will not win......

Theft of suburban family’s gay pride flag leads to heartening outcome — a neighborhood of rainbows
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ct-met-barrington-rainbow-flag-theft-20181219-story,amp.html
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Finally it's happening! 

I would not post this in the "Food Thread" ;) ... I thought it was good news about our food mass production. 

Little male chicks are shredded alive. Horrible!
    I have no idea how America or other countries deal with this problem, or if you are even aware about it.
    But I'm glad Germany found a solution and we never have to shred little chicks anymore!

From our news today:

'Two German shops sell the world's first eggs for which no little chicks were killed.'

Male chicks do not lay eggs, do not put enough meat in the fattening, are therefore not profitable from an economic point of view and are therefore often not raised, but shredded or gassed.
    According to the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL), about 45 million male chicks are killed each year in Germany.
    Now scientists at the University of Leipzig have developed a method that makes it possible to determine the sex already in the hatching egg. "Male brood eggs do not need to hatch anymore and the chicks will not longer be killed then," said Minister of Food and Agriculture Julia Klöckner in a press release.

With the help of a laser, a tiny hole was burnt into the hatching egg and liquid taken from the egg, which was tested for sex-specific hormones. So it can be determined at an early stage, which eggs should be incubated. The male hatching eggs should be further used as pet food. In the coming year, the patented process will also be offered to first hatcheries free of charge for use. This would be an opportunity for German hatcheries to continue producing in Germany while doing more for animal welfare, Minister Klöckner said.

Another step in the right direction! :) Hope this will be done that way all over the world soon. 
    kce8 said:
    Finally it's happening! 

I would not post this in the "Food Thread" ;) ... I thought it was good news about our food mass production. 

I have no idea how America or other countries deal with this problem, or if you are even aware about it.
    But I'm glad Germany found a solution and we never have to shred little chicks anymore!

From our news today:

'Two German shops sell the world's first eggs for which no little chicks were killed.'

Male chicks do not lay eggs, do not put enough meat in the fattening, are therefore not profitable from an economic point of view and are therefore often not raised, but shredded or gassed.
    According to the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL), about 45 million male chicks are killed each year in Germany.
    Now scientists at the University of Leipzig have developed a method that makes it possible to determine the sex already in the hatching egg. "Male brood eggs do not need to hatch anymore and the chicks will not longer be killed then," said Minister of Food and Agriculture Julia Klöckner in a press release.

With the help of a laser, a tiny hole was burnt into the hatching egg and liquid taken from the egg, which was tested for sex-specific hormones. So it can be determined at an early stage, which eggs should be incubated. The male hatching eggs should be further used as pet food. In the coming year, the patented process will also be offered to first hatcheries free of charge for use. This would be an opportunity for German hatcheries to continue producing in Germany while doing more for animal welfare, Minister Klöckner said.

Another step in the right direction! :) Hope this will be done that way all over the world soon. 
    I had read about the shredding of male chicks elsewhere.  I'm glad they're doing something about it!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    kce8 said:
    Finally it's happening! 

From our news today:

That IS good news!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Wisconsin teen missing since October found alive, suspect in custody

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/wisconsin-teen-found-alive-1.4974243
    Give Peas A Chance…

Wow, this is really good news, nearly made me tear up. 
    Whatever happened, I hope she will be healing from it and someday being able to live a "normal" life!
    kce8 said:

Whatever happened, I hope she will be healing from it and someday being able to live a "normal" life!
    I think this predator was targeting her.  She will need a lot of emotional support.  Glad she is alive, hopefully she gets the support she needs.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    kce8 said:

I think this predator was targeting her.  She will need a lot of emotional support.  Glad she is alive, hopefully she gets the support she needs.
    In the meantime I could read a short article on German news about it. But it didn't say anything about what happened to her.
    I even don't want to imagine what happened to that poor girl. 
    At that age that would destroy her soul. :(
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:

In the meantime I could read a short article on German news about it. But it didn't say anything about what happened to her.
    I even don't want to imagine what happened to that poor girl. 
    At that age that would destroy her soul. :(
    No info has been released what happened to her in her time be held hostage.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    I have so many questions!!

1) is the gun safe?
    2) what should happen to the illegal immigrant who committed this heinous crime?

well....2 questions I guess
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814

I was stunned when I saw that.  I'd honestly long assumed she'd be found dead.  I hope she gets a lot of help and her extended family is prepared for what's ahead.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:

I was stunned when I saw that.  I'd honestly long assumed she'd be found dead.  I hope she gets a lot of help and her extended family is prepared for what's ahead.
    I was shocked when I heard that.  How about a shoutout to the police and volunteers who tirelessly worked this case.  She will need mental health treatment for a long time.  She has to growup traumatized with no parents...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Cancer death rate in U.S. has now been falling for 25 years
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Yeah after the details came out about this whole thing Monday afternoon, I woke up several times during the night with just that, consuming my thoughts.  Couldn't sleep.  Feel so bad for the girl who is 13.  I have 13 & 10 year old daughters.
    The good newsis that (her) Community & her family is really rallying around her.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,172
    edited January 2019
    just read this story and had to post it. what a great group of kids. they had a teacher who was color blind. so they got together and bough him special glasses to help him see colors. 

https://www1.pasadenaisd.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=80772&pageId=36343294
    pjhawks said:
    just read this story and had to post it. what a great group of kids. they had a teacher who was color blind. so they got together and bough him special glasses to help him see colors. 

https://www1.pasadenaisd.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=80772&pageId=36343294
    Fantastic- I love it!

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    edited February 2019
    More a "feel good" post....and I'd never seen a fish do that before. Happy Friday all.

Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Kat said:
    More a "feel good" post....and I'd never seen a fish do that before. Happy Friday all.

Love it! :smile:

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Wasn't  sure where to put this....

Sounds like good news to me!

edited March 2019
    Way to go teenagers! (Perhaps there is a bit of material for the idiot thread here too, lol, but let's focus on the positive part)

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is awesome.

It's very awesome!... it and should be on all cars. You got me to take a look at Dodo and I found this good news one too. Thank you. :)

Falling down,...not staying down