Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Good News

1789101113»

Comments

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere.Posts: 4,545
    edited July 8
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    Good to hear...found it on the internet so it must be true.

Did Johnny and baby stay together?

Johnny takes off into the night and Baby goes to the Peace Corps. End of story. But that's not the case, obviously. They stay together, guys!

:smiley:

Dirty Dancing somehow led to this strange story my wife likes to tell about how she and a couple of her girlfriends were driving somewhere and had a big balloon on a string tied to the car and had it trailing along.  They called the Balloon "Swayze" and when the string broke, Swayze went flying off into the sky and they all cried out, "Swaaaaaaayze!"

Thanks for the smile, Brian...these days call for all we can smile about. 

More good music memories from this article. ..don't miss Aretha in #4.

https://parade.com/1222522/jessicasager/best-movie-soundtracks/
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 34,513
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

Johnny takes off into the night and Baby goes to the Peace Corps. End of story. But that's not the case, obviously. They stay together, guys!

Dirty Dancing somehow led to this strange story my wife likes to tell about how she and a couple of her girlfriends were driving somewhere and had a big balloon on a string tied to the car and had it trailing along.  They called the Balloon "Swayze" and when the string broke, Swayze went flying off into the sky and they all cried out, "Swaaaaaaayze!"

Nobody keeps balloon tied to a bumper...

Haha!  Ya know, now that I think about it, I believe it was more a case of Swayze making an escape out the window.  I'd ask, but I think she's busy with more important matters.  :lol:
    “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
    -James Allen

Kat said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

Thanks for the smile, Brian...these days call for all we can smile about. 

More good music memories from this article. ..don't miss Aretha in #4.

https://parade.com/1222522/jessicasager/best-movie-soundtracks/

Yes, KAT, smiles are always welcome!  :smile:
    But Dirty Dancing?  That had to have come out before you were born, right?! :smiley:
    “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
    -James Allen

Does your wife know what a charmer you are? Of course she does. :) Have a great weekend...and that's for everyone. Be safe.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 21,905

Tree DNA helps convict Washington timber thief after fire
    Yesterday

TACOMA, Wash. (AP) — A federal jury has convicted a timber thief who authorities said started a large forest fire in Washington state, a case that prosecutors said marked the first time tree DNA had been introduced in a federal trial.

The jury deliberated for about seven hours before convicting Justin Andrew Wilke, 39, on Thursday of conspiracy, theft of public property, depredation of public property, and trafficking and attempted trafficking in unlawfully harvested timber, the U.S. Attorney's Office for Western Washington said in a news release.

The wood he sold to a mill in the city of Tumwater had been harvested from private property with a valid permit, Wilke said. But a research geneticist for the U.S. Forest Service, Richard Cronn, testified that the wood he sold genetically matched the remains of three poached trees.

Wilke used gasoline to destroy a wasp’s nest in the base of a maple tree he was stealing, prosecutors said, though jurors did not convict him of charges related to the fire. Some witnesses testified that, although Wilke was standing next to the nest when the fire began, they did not actually see his actions in the dark.

Wilke and others conducted an illegal logging operation in the Elk Lake area of the Olympic National Forest, near Hood Canal, between April and August 2018, according to records filed in the case. He poached maple trees prized as wood for musical instruments and brought them to lumber mills.

In July 2018, a man who had just been released from prison, Shawn Williams, joined the conspiracy; he pleaded guilty and was sentenced to more than two years in prison.

In August 2018, the group decided to cut the maple tree that had the wasp's nest near the base, prosecutors said. The poachers sprayed insecticide and gasoline and then lit the nest on fire — starting a 5.2-square-mile (13.4-square-kilometer) wildfire that came to be dubbed the “Maple Fire,” according to authorities.

Firefighting efforts cost about $4.2 million.

Williams testified during the trial that it was Wilke who set the blaze, the U.S. Attorney's Office said.

“When people steal trees from our public lands, they are stealing a beautiful and irreplaceable resource from all of us and from future generations,” Acting U.S. Attorney Tessa Gorman said in a news release. “That theft, coupled with the sheer destruction of the forest fire that resulted from this activity, warrants federal criminal prosecution."

Wilke faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced in October.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific NorthwestPosts: 5,000
    Tree DNA. Too cool. CSI: Arboretum
    Kat said:
    Does your wife know what a charmer you are? Of course she does. :) Have a great weekend...and that's for everyone. Be safe.

She has said on a few occasions, "Brian, you know all the right things to say!"
    But I've been here before, too, haha!:
    Doghouse High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

-James Allen

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 21,905
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

slow your roll. you're old enough to be her ancient ancestor.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 23,427
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

slow your roll. you're old enough to be her ancient ancestor.....
    Looks like some kinda BDSM scenario to me. 
    You guys crack me up!  Keeps me young, thank you very much!  :smiley:
    targettiphat

-James Allen

edited July 20
    A very good student and still alive, whew. :) You can jump to 4:30 or so.

Post edited by Kat on
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 12,528
    ^Heard about that on the radio in the car this morning...guy was amazingly calm during the ordeal.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    ^^^ Kept his cool nicely!
    -James Allen