Donald Trump

Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question:

Is anyone giving the Dems a free pass on this Gov't shut down?

I can't get past that it takes two sides and both really just don't give a shit about the people.  I don't see it any other way.

No compromising.

Really?

The Dems refuse to budge with a gun pointed at their head. The stupid wall is a bad idea. Bad ideas cannot be allowed to germinate. This shutdown is completely on the repubs (I'd like to buy an 'e'). They can own it- let's not spin the narrative at all.
    It'd be nice if the dems compromised a bit.  Some of these same dems have voted for the wall in the past.  That's the thing that pisses me off.  Politics suck.

Compromise? What's the compromise in wall or no wall? A nice little 5 foot picket fence with attractive landscaping? 
    I don't understand the dems platform on this one, there's obviously already a wall in place; what is the harm in adding to it?
    Where did the cost come from?  tRUmp said build a wall, and got a quote from a contractor.  That was it.

Ignored all the studies on how to actually solve immigration.  Just gimme my wall because I want a monument to stupidity.

Did not consult actual engineers.  Did not take into consideration ongoing costs.  Did not consider affects on the environment.  Did not consider the costs associated with court battles to actually acquire the land.  None of these costs were taken into consideration.

Just gimme my wall because I want a monument to stupidity.

Meanwhile, what's the dems platform?  
    • Once the government is reopened, the Democratic Majority will immediately begin debate in committee on the supplemental discretionary funding request by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for border security. This will allow DHS leadership to explain in detail how the funds will be used and whether this expenditure will have the reported results presented by the President.
    • Guarantee a vote for the supplemental funding request on the House floor by the end of February.
    • As part of the supplemental funding request, members will be able to offer amendments to address the current gaps in protections for Dreamers and those enrolled in Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and those currently in Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and Deferred Enforcement Departure (DED).
    I'm not debating any of that, I'm just trying to think of ways this shutdown can end.  Trump is 100% to blame but If both sides aren't going to budge on their positions then what the hell is going to happen?

“When the country goes to total hell — then you’ll have riots to go back to where we used to be when we were great,” he said on a “Fox & Friends” show.

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question:

I can't get past that it takes two sides and both really just don't give a shit about the people.  I don't see it any other way.

No compromising.

Really?

The Dems refuse to budge with a gun pointed at their head. The stupid wall is a bad idea. Bad ideas cannot be allowed to germinate. This shutdown is completely on the repubs (I'd like to buy an 'e'). They can own it- let's not spin the narrative at all.
    It'd be nice if the dems compromised a bit.  Some of these same dems have voted for the wall in the past.  That's the thing that pisses me off.  Politics suck.

Compromise? What's the compromise in wall or no wall? A nice little 5 foot picket fence with attractive landscaping? 
    I don't understand the dems platform on this one, there's obviously already a wall in place; what is the harm in adding to it?
    Where did the cost come from?  tRUmp said build a wall, and got a quote from a contractor.  That was it.

Ignored all the studies on how to actually solve immigration.  Just gimme my wall because I want a monument to stupidity.

Did not consult actual engineers.  Did not take into consideration ongoing costs.  Did not consider affects on the environment.  Did not consider the costs associated with court battles to actually acquire the land.  None of these costs were taken into consideration.

• Once the government is reopened, the Democratic Majority will immediately begin debate in committee on the supplemental discretionary funding request by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for border security. This will allow DHS leadership to explain in detail how the funds will be used and whether this expenditure will have the reported results presented by the President.
    • Guarantee a vote for the supplemental funding request on the House floor by the end of February.
    • As part of the supplemental funding request, members will be able to offer amendments to address the current gaps in protections for Dreamers and those enrolled in Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and those currently in Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and Deferred Enforcement Departure (DED).
    I'm not debating any of that, I'm just trying to think of ways this shutdown can end.  Trump is 100% to blame but If both sides aren't going to budge on their positions then what the hell is going to happen?
    it can and would end in a day if TSA in one or more of the major airports all walked off the job. the ensuing chaos would caused would be such a cluster fuck they would have to re-open the government. imagine if they all call out next Friday in Atlanta.  you know 2 days before the Super Bowl and one of the busiest airports in America.  if i was head of the TSA workers that would be my plan.  
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question:

No compromising.

Really?

What's the "budge" for the Dems?  Not trying to be a smart-ass...but is there a budge beside "give Trump what he wants?"
    I don't know, instead of 5.1 billion give him 2 billion.  Meet somewhere in the middle so government can open back up.
    No friggin' way.  What happens in six months when this funding runs out?  He holds the country hostage for another 2 billion.  You can't cave on this, because that becomes the MO.  The only way to give him the money is for him to provide something super painful to him... citizenship for DACA.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question:

No compromising.

Really?

What's the "budge" for the Dems?  Not trying to be a smart-ass...but is there a budge beside "give Trump what he wants?"
    I don't know, instead of 5.1 billion give him 2 billion.  Meet somewhere in the middle so government can open back up.
    No friggin' way.  What happens in six months when this funding runs out?  He holds the country hostage for another 2 billion.  You can't cave on this, because that becomes the MO.  The only way to give him the money is for him to provide something super painful to him... citizenship for DACA.  
    Which is a complete no brainer to me.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    You can't give an extortionist holding government workers hostage a dime. It would set a precedent for any upcoming negotiations...it can't be rewarded in any way. He has to open the government first and then negotations can begin. This would be true for any party...red or blue.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question:

No compromising.

Really?

it can and would end in a day if TSA in one or more of the major airports all walked off the job. the ensuing chaos would caused would be such a cluster fuck they would have to re-open the government. imagine if they all call out next Friday in Atlanta.  you know 2 days before the Super Bowl and one of the busiest airports in America.  if i was head of the TSA workers that would be my plan.  
    I praise the ones that are refusing their paychecks during this shutdown, but it should be standard.  If the government is shutdown and government employees do not get their paychecks, then neither should congress or any other lawmakers for that matter:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/how-much-members-of-congress-get-paid-even-during-government-shutdowns.html
    That would end it quicker than a TSA walkout, in my opinion.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question:

No compromising.

Really?

I praise the ones that are refusing their paychecks during this shutdown, but it should be standard.  If the government is shutdown and government employees do not get their paychecks, then neither should congress or any other lawmakers for that matter:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/how-much-members-of-congress-get-paid-even-during-government-shutdowns.html
    That would end it quicker than a TSA walkout, in my opinion.

agree but i don't see that happenening
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question:

No compromising.

Really?

I have a flight today ... don’t talk like that.
    hippiemom = goodness
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question:

No compromising.

Really?

I have a flight today ... don’t talk like that.
    I flew yesterday.  My connection out of JFK was 2 hours late.  Hour out of the gate, hour on the runway.  Not good.  

Temp agreement reached according to Drudge.  Announcement at 1PM. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    He also thinks that they ID you when you buy groceries .... His idea of what the grocery store is like is absolutely bizarre, lol. I'm trying think of what business he is using as a template.... I guess banks? He thinks grocery stores are like banks? But small town banks, from the 1930s midwest, lol.
    When you're a billionaire your entire life, you get a bit detached from the day-to-day norms of the rest of us. 

Working class hero; has never mowed a lawn.
    Well to be fair, these days most working class people can't afford a detached home, so definitely wouldn't be mowing a lawn, lol. ;)
    Haha, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Trump voters had a higher rate of home oeownersh than Clinton voters though.
    Property is cheap in American opioid towns.

You can buy a house for 15,000$ in some of these towns.
    Where can you buy a house for 15k? Even if you could buy that cheap I m guessing you’d have to go to the studs. 

I've seen listings in some places for even less in the US - sometimes I look just out of curiosity... House prices in a lot of areas in the USA is almost like real estate porn for Vancouverites. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Starting the weekend early with some twotter meltdown: “Greatest Witch Hunt in the History of our Country! NO COLLUSION! Border Coyotes, Drug Dealers and Human Traffickers are treated better. Who alerted CNN to be there?”

who alerted CNN? What a dope. We could figure this out since it was highly likely indictments were coming today and Stone was high on the list. Next up Donny Jr.  (I must have a insider in the Special Counsel to make that crazy prediction). 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question:

No compromising.

Really?

Wtf? So you're actually for this fucking wall??? Haven't you been paying attention?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    FF's biggest concern is who alerted CNN.....what a joke he is.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard said:
    CNN alerted CNN, lol.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question:

No compromising.

Really?

Which is a complete no brainer to me.
    But then the right wing cries AMNESTY!  Even though we are talking about children who came here without their own actual consent.  Stupid and inhumane.  
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    He also thinks that they ID you when you buy groceries .... His idea of what the grocery store is like is absolutely bizarre, lol. I'm trying think of what business he is using as a template.... I guess banks? He thinks grocery stores are like banks? But small town banks, from the 1930s midwest, lol.
    When you're a billionaire your entire life, you get a bit detached from the day-to-day norms of the rest of us. 

Working class hero; has never mowed a lawn.
    Well to be fair, these days most working class people can't afford a detached home, so definitely wouldn't be mowing a lawn, lol. ;)
    Haha, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Trump voters had a higher rate of home oeownersh than Clinton voters though.
    Property is cheap in American opioid towns.

You can buy a house for 15,000$ in some of these towns.
    Where can you buy a house for 15k? Even if you could buy that cheap I m guessing you’d have to go to the studs. 

I've seen listings in some places for even less in the US - sometimes I look just out of curiosity... House prices in a lot of areas in the USA is almost like real estate porn for Vancouverites. :lol:
    Hahaha that's funny!  

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Lizard said:
    I love this.

There is literally a show called COPS where the follow police around and film them arresting people.  You may have heard of it, it's been on since 1989. (jesus?! is that right?!  checks wiki...yup 1989)

Now it's suddenly an issue.  And you have the song Bad Boys in your head.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Go congresswoman Omar.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question:

No compromising.

Really?

Wtf? So you're actually for this fucking wall??? Haven't you been paying attention?
    Border Patrol wants a wall, Homeland Security does not.

BP is only 5% of HLS so they don't really care what they have to say, as heard on NPR this morning.
    edited January 2019
    Nancy showed Trump who really holds the purse strings and that she plays to win...

edited January 2019
    ^^^ "Medieval barrier" is a good term for the stupid wall.
  • "My brain's a good brain!"
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    PJ_Soul said:
    ^^^ "Medieval barrier" is a good term for the stupid wall.
    Just heard...the wall's name is Nancy.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    So reopen today. Renegotiate until Feb 15th. Get nowhere. Pull the emergency card. Get called into the 9th court and lose badly but save face with the base because of that damn Liberal 9th court is so Liberal. This is our next two months to a year I am guessing on this issue. 
This discussion has been closed.