New Gillette add "Toxic Masculinity" is causing quite a stir!

Comments

• Nathan Phillips (activist)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Phillips_(activist)

Criminal record
    According to local news reports from Lincoln obtained by the Washington Examiner, Phillips was charged with numerous crimes in the 1970s including a charge for escaping from prison in 1974; a charge of assault in 1974; multiple charges for underage possession of alcohol in 1972, 1973, and 1975; and negligent driving and driving without a license in 1978.[1][8]

Military service
    Phillips is a Vietnam era veteran who served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves[9] from 20 May 1972 to 5 May 1976[10], though he never deployed to Vietnam.[11] From October 1972 to February 1973, he was an anti-tank missileman (infantry). He then served as a refrigerator technician for the remainder of his service. According to a FOIA response, Phillips was on active duty from 12 August 1974 to 5 May 1976 and was released as a private following disciplinary issues, including three AWOL incidents.[12][13][14][15]

In an interview with Vogue, Phillips said that "I'm what they call a recon ranger. That was my role".[13] This statement was questioned by Donald Shipley, who publicly outs false claims of military service. However, according to Daniel Paul Nelson, a Lakota People's Law Project leader, the quote was taken out of context, as Phillips was referring to work he was doing on the reservation.[13]

He does have a checkered past.  Nothing recently.  So, it appears he got his life in order years ago.

I never questioned Phillips' character actually.  That was the 70's, everyone did stupid shit back then.  Hell a few became president.

What I read from people is that kids yelled "build a wall" and did the tomahawk chop.

I am finding zero evidence of this.

The kids all looked to be involved in a mob like behavior.

Am I wrong on this?

Anyone?
  • The same people ignoring the fact that the tuff talkin' and ridiculously handsome Commander in Chief skipped out of active duty because he had plantar warts are shredding Phillips for being a crappy soldier. They laughably did the same with McCain. At a minimum... at least he served.

Discrediting the opponent is one of the fundamental tactics within the right's playbook for spinning the narrative.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I would personally NEVER take any criminal history, in this context, of a First Nations man in the 1970s at face value anyway FFS. And I would NEVER blame any First Nations man in the 70s for going AWOL, frankly.
    In any case, he did nothing whatsoever wrong on the day in the question when these poorly behave kids were, so I think it's absolutely gross to be posting this crap about that man's distant past as though it matters now, and as though we're supposed to feel badly towards him because of it. All that man did was step into the middle of a situation that was going downhill quickly, and successfully broke it up using a very peaceful and harmless and rather beautiful method. And there are people willing to trash him. It's sick.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    They were not Hebrews or Israelites. I would think that Hebrews and Israelites would appreciate it if people stopped labeling them as such. I think it's weird how that phrase is being thrown around. It must have some kind of meaning to some people.

Yeah, I have no idea why any of the kids reacted to the drummer they way they did. But I know that it demonstrated a shocking lack of self-awareness and respect, and I guess their age is as good an age as any to discover that there are consequences when you display a shocking lack of self-awareness and respect. Although many of them are acting like they've learned nothing at all, with no help from their parents, so that's a shame, and will only hurt them further in the long run. I feel absolutely zero sympathy for any of them btw.

I think it's pretty fucked up to suggest that the drummer did anything wrong.
    https://nypost.com/2019/01/22/this-hebrew-israelite-from-brooklyn-sparked-the-covington-controversy/

Do a search....it's what all the papers AND the group themselves have used.  So I am really not sure why you won't.  It's a specific group...I'm using the name they call themselves, not making up something else just so you are happy.

The drummer had no ill intentions, but really shoulda thought that through.  Banging a drum and chanting through a crowd of teens that have been antagonized by a group of idiots for a while?  Honorable intention, really stupid action.  If he had walked over and talked...that's a different story.

Why won't I use the phrase that the batshit crazy dude is throwing around because he and his hate group friends think it sounds good? There are real Hebrews and Israelites in this world, and that fucked up dude is neither. I know papers are throwing the phrase around - I'm saying I think they shouldn't because it's insulting. These guys don't even know wtf they're talking about - they say they decend from the 12 tribes and praise Jesus; their beliefs boil down to just pure hate speech dressed up in a religious hodge-podge that makes no sense. To steal the labels from actual Jewish people is just offensive and it shouldn't be accepted.

I think the dummer did the right thing, because actually it could have ended up a lot uglier if he hadn't intervened. It wasn't a stupid action at all. It was an effective one.
    There was another kid that started to pipe up and the ring leader motioned for him to stop.  He seemed to understand the gravity of the situation.

So another question:

I have scoured the internet for the catholic school kids doing the "tomahawk chop".  There are stories that reference this but I have not seen one video of them doing it.

Anybody find some video of that?
    I've not seen a video of them doing that nor them chanting build the wall, etc.
    There were a lot of false claims being thrown around...I do not have an ounce of respect for the little drummer boy after reading about his less-than-stellar military career.  This event was the equivalent of a bunch of little shits swirling around a flushing toilet.
    That's a scummy thing to say.
    Well, like, that’s just your opinion and stuff.  He is hardly the hardcore “Vietnam Vet” that was played up.  Sounds like he was more of a pain in the ass than anything.

Ridiculous. I see the right wing media has gotten to you on this one, lol.
    That man did absolutely nothing wrong (this would be true if he wasn't a vet as well) and doesn't deserve this kind of crap. This is pure spin to try and deflect from the those stupid kids who acted poorly.
    Did nothing wrong? Banging a drum in some kids face was really stupid, lol.

hippiemom = goodness
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Nathan Phillips (activist)

Criminal record
    According to local news reports from Lincoln obtained by the Washington Examiner, Phillips was charged with numerous crimes in the 1970s including a charge for escaping from prison in 1974; a charge of assault in 1974; multiple charges for underage possession of alcohol in 1972, 1973, and 1975; and negligent driving and driving without a license in 1978.[1][8]

Military service
    Phillips is a Vietnam era veteran who served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves[9] from 20 May 1972 to 5 May 1976[10], though he never deployed to Vietnam.[11] From October 1972 to February 1973, he was an anti-tank missileman (infantry). He then served as a refrigerator technician for the remainder of his service. According to a FOIA response, Phillips was on active duty from 12 August 1974 to 5 May 1976 and was released as a private following disciplinary issues, including three AWOL incidents.[12][13][14][15]

In an interview with Vogue, Phillips said that "I'm what they call a recon ranger. That was my role".[13] This statement was questioned by Donald Shipley, who publicly outs false claims of military service. However, according to Daniel Paul Nelson, a Lakota People's Law Project leader, the quote was taken out of context, as Phillips was referring to work he was doing on the reservation.[13]

He does have a checkered past.  Nothing recently.  So, it appears he got his life in order years ago.

I never questioned Phillips' character actually.  That was the 70's, everyone did stupid shit back then.  Hell a few became president.

What I read from people is that kids yelled "build a wall" and did the tomahawk chop.

Am I wrong on this?

Anyone?
    All I see is 1 kid staring creepily at him. I've seen or heard nothing that support the claims of chanting "build a wall."
    I honestly don't know why this is even a story.
    The drummer obviously did nothing wrong. But is 1 creepy teenage kid giving you weird looks worth national headline news? Anyone who thinks so needs to get out more often.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    They were not Hebrews or Israelites. I would think that Hebrews and Israelites would appreciate it if people stopped labeling them as such. I think it's weird how that phrase is being thrown around. It must have some kind of meaning to some people.

Yeah, I have no idea why any of the kids reacted to the drummer they way they did. But I know that it demonstrated a shocking lack of self-awareness and respect, and I guess their age is as good an age as any to discover that there are consequences when you display a shocking lack of self-awareness and respect. Although many of them are acting like they've learned nothing at all, with no help from their parents, so that's a shame, and will only hurt them further in the long run. I feel absolutely zero sympathy for any of them btw.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/22/this-hebrew-israelite-from-brooklyn-sparked-the-covington-controversy/

Do a search....it's what all the papers AND the group themselves have used.  So I am really not sure why you won't.  It's a specific group...I'm using the name they call themselves, not making up something else just so you are happy.

The drummer had no ill intentions, but really shoulda thought that through.  Banging a drum and chanting through a crowd of teens that have been antagonized by a group of idiots for a while?  Honorable intention, really stupid action.  If he had walked over and talked...that's a different story.

Why won't I use the phrase that the batshit crazy dude is throwing around because he and his hate group friends think it sounds good? There are real Hebrews and Israelites in this world, and that fucked up dude is neither. I know papers are throwing the phrase around - I'm saying I think they shouldn't because it's insulting. These guys don't even know wtf they're talking about - they say they decend from the 12 tribes and praise Jesus; their beliefs boil down to just pure hate speech dressed up in a religious hodge-podge that makes no sense. To steal the labels from actual Jewish people is just offensive and it shouldn't be accepted.

I think the dummer did the right thing, because actually it could have ended up a lot uglier if he hadn't intervened. It wasn't a stupid action at all. It was an effective one.
    There was another kid that started to pipe up and the ring leader motioned for him to stop.  He seemed to understand the gravity of the situation.

So another question:

I have scoured the internet for the catholic school kids doing the "tomahawk chop".  There are stories that reference this but I have not seen one video of them doing it.

There were a lot of false claims being thrown around...I do not have an ounce of respect for the little drummer boy after reading about his less-than-stellar military career.  This event was the equivalent of a bunch of little shits swirling around a flushing toilet.
    Well, like, that’s just your opinion and stuff.  He is hardly the hardcore “Vietnam Vet” that was played up.  Sounds like he was more of a pain in the ass than anything.

That man did absolutely nothing wrong (this would be true if he wasn't a vet as well) and doesn't deserve this kind of crap. This is pure spin to try and deflect from the those stupid kids who acted poorly.

That isn't what happened. The kids surrounded him and got in his face, not the other way around. And he broke up an ugly situation that was likely to get worse. He was the ONLY one in that situation who actually did something good. And you're willing to bash him. Ick.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229 said:

Criminal record

Military service

Am I wrong on this?

Anyone?
    All I see is 1 kid staring creepily at him. I've seen or heard nothing that support the claims of chanting "build a wall."
    The drummer obviously did nothing wrong. But is 1 creepy teenage kid giving you weird looks worth national headline news? Anyone who thinks so needs to get out more often.
    Then you need to look harder.

That group of beautiful young boys was rogue that day. There are several documented accounts of them not only shitting all over Philips, but young women and others as well.

As an isolated event... not extremely noteworthy; however, as part of a mounting pile of brutal behaviour seemingly sparked by a hunkashit president... it belongs in the newsworthy catalogue for people concerned with social integrity.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So another question:

That isn't what happened. The kids surrounded him and got in his face, not the other way around. And he broke up an ugly situation that was likely to get worse. He was the ONLY one in that situation who actually did something good. And you're willing to bash him. Ick.
    Bash him? Because I think he made a dumb choice and kept making it? Lol. 

hippiemom = goodness
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So another question:

Um, yeah, but also because you say he banged a drum in some kid's face, which completely misrepresents the facts.
    And what, you would have preferred it if there had been a brawl between teenagers and some religious fanatics?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So another question:

Um, yeah, but also because you say he banged a drum in some kid's face, which completely misrepresents the facts.
    No. I’ve watched the video. He continues to bang the drum in the kids face. Instead of being the adult in the room. It’s a fact. Look at the picture that everyone is up in arms about. Banging a drum in a kids face. I don’t care if the kid walked up to him or not. Continuing to bang the drum was a stupid move if indeed his intention was to diffuse the situation. Did he do anything egregiously wrong? Nope. But he did something pretty dumb and that certainly wouldn’t help diffuse a situation. 

This is why pictures and body cameras and videos won’t solve shit. 2 reasonable people can watch the same thing and have a different opinion still. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:
    I would personally NEVER take any criminal history, in this context, of a First Nations man in the 1970s at face value anyway FFS. And I would NEVER blame any First Nations man in the 70s for going AWOL, frankly.
    In any case, he did nothing whatsoever wrong on the day in the question when these poorly behave kids were, so I think it's absolutely gross to be posting this crap about that man's distant past as though it matters now, and as though we're supposed to feel badly towards him because of it. All that man did was step into the middle of a situation that was going downhill quickly, and successfully broke it up using a very peaceful and harmless and rather beautiful method. And there are people willing to trash him. It's sick.
    Well, my issue comes from people further raging that he was this “disrespect military vet”.  He didn’t do much to minimize the misinterpretation of his military career.  I do not respect someone that lies about their military career to their benefit.  But be disgusted all you want, I don’t really care
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So another question:

And what, you would have preferred it if there had been a brawl between teenagers and some religious fanatics?
    By the way you continue to use inflammatory words to dramatize your opinions. Bash, aggressive mob....sounds like trump. Lol

hippiemom = goodness
  • PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, my issue comes from people further raging that he was this “disrespect military vet”.  He didn’t do much to minimize the misinterpretation of his military career.  I do not respect someone that lies about their military career to their benefit.  But be disgusted all you want, I don’t really care
    Is he supposed to 'minimize' the misinterpretation of his military career? By not actively working towards what you are suggesting he needed to do... this makes him a liar?
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So another question:

I saw a video on TMZ where the drummer approaches the crowd. Now I couldn't see if the creepy kid was there in the front row, but it was clear the drummer approaches a crowd.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But I just don't get why he's all hurt he got a stare down as a result though.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well I never thought it was at all relevant that he was a vet in the first place. Those kids didn't know that. What the kids did know is that they were completely mocking and disrespecting an elder of the First Nations who was VERY clearly drumming to make peace between these kids and the crazy fuck who was saying bad things to those kids. If anything, those kids should have appreciated what he did, but they mocked him and his Native heritage instead. 
    I'm disgusted by your viewpoint here, and you're not going to change my mind on that, so we may as well stop debating it.
  • mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So another question:

I saw a video on TMZ where the drummer approaches the crowd. Now I couldn't see if the creepy kid was there in the front row, but it was clear the drummer approaches a crowd.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But I just don't get why he's all hurt he got a stare down as a result though.
    I'm not sure he was hurt. Is there something I missed here?

I think every person that places respect in their value set was bothered by the scene and for good reason.
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well I never thought it was at all relevant that he was a vet in the first place. Those kids didn't know that. What the kids did know is that they were completely mocking and disrespecting an elder of the First Nations who was VERY clearly drumming to make peace between these kids and the crazy fuck who was saying bad things to those kids. If anything, those kids should have appreciated what he did, but they mocked him and his Native heritage instead. 
    I'm disgusted by your viewpoint here, and you're not going to change my mind on that, so we may as well stop debating it.
    Fair enough, we can both be disgusted in our own little ways.  I don’t expect to change your viewpoint, but you definitely haven’t changed mine either.  Opinions are like assholes I suppose.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    mace1229 said:

Criminal record

Military service

Am I wrong on this?

Anyone?

That group of beautiful young boys was rogue that day. There are several documented accounts of them not only shitting all over Philips, but young women and others as well.

As an isolated event... not extremely noteworthy; however, as part of a mounting pile of brutal behaviour seemingly sparked by a hunkashit president... it belongs in the newsworthy catalogue for people concerned with social integrity.
    I've watched 5 or 6 clips from FOX, to CNN to TMZ. Never heard anyone chant "build a wall" or mock him. Never saw anyone do anythign threatening. Never saw teenagers acting in a way other than what any typical teenager on a field trip does.
    If you've seen video otherwise could you please share it?
    The one clip that has been showed 100 times this week really doesn't show anything in my opinion. If there's something worse out there, I think the news would be leading with that.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Fair enough, we can both be disgusted in our own little ways.  I don’t expect to change your viewpoint, but you definitely haven’t changed mine either.  Opinions are like assholes I suppose.
    There sure are a lot of opinions around here anymore. /s

hippiemom = goodness
  • ed243421 said:
    There was the tomahawk chop.  Finally got to see it.

Thanks
  • mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Criminal record

Military service

Am I wrong on this?

Anyone?

I've watched 5 or 6 clips from FOX, to CNN to TMZ. Never heard anyone chant "build a wall" or mock him. Never saw anyone do anythign threatening. Never saw teenagers acting in a way other than what any typical teenager on a field trip does.
    The one clip that has been showed 100 times this week really doesn't show anything in my opinion. If there's something worse out there, I think the news would be leading with that.
    There are three alternative clips already shared in this thread where (1) these losers are doing the 'Braves chant' and hopping around like they were surrounding a bonfire on the prairies... and (2) where they harassed two girls... and (3) where one member of the group- in mid harassment of some females- spoke to rape being okay if it was enjoyable.

Their entire day is not on film. These were just events that happened to be captured. Other accounts tell that these kids were doing the chop and some of the other things that cannot be proven with film. Decide for yourself who is most credible of the characters that day and choose what you want to believe.
    ed243421 said:

Thanks
    Wait - did I miss it? I saw 1 kid with like a half assed chop a couple of times. Was there more?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Criminal record

Military service

Am I wrong on this?

Anyone?

There are three alternative clips already shared in this thread where (1) these losers are doing the 'Braves chant' and hopping around like they were surrounding a bonfire on the prairies... and (2) where they harassed two girls... and (3) where one member of the group- in mid harassment of some females- spoke to rape being okay if it was enjoyable.

Their entire day is not on film. These were just events that happened to be captured. Other accounts tell that these kids were doing the chop and some of the other things that cannot be proven with film. Decide for yourself who is most credible of the characters that day and choose what you want to believe.
    Watch the video above that was just put up.  That is the best one yet that shows the Tomahawk chop by 2 people.

I'll say this.  There were a whole bunch of people with phones out waiting for something to happen.  I give credit to the kid in the maga hat and the Native Phillips for finding each other and not letting the crowd erupt.

Where were the chaperones?

I've spent far too much time on this subject too...
  • ed243421 said:

Thanks
    Wait - did I miss it? I saw 1 kid with like a half assed chop a couple of times. Was there more?
    2 kids in the first 30 seconds when they pan over to the right.  It is there, so I will not take that away from anyone but from what I read it was the whole crowd.

edited January 2019
    ed243421 said:

Thanks
    2 kids in the first 30 seconds when they pan over to the right.  It is there, so I will not take that away from anyone but from what I read it was the whole crowd.

I’ve seen way more people acting like asshats at Pearl Jam concerts than I’ve seen in these videos, ha. Offense is Elizabeth Warren dressing in Native American attire to further her political career!
  • PJPOWER said:
    ed243421 said:

Thanks

I’ve seen way more people acting like asshats at Pearl Jam concerts than I’ve seen in these videos, ha. Offense is Elizabeth Warren dressing in Native American attire to further her political career!
    Maybe one puking guy in Boston.
    ed243421 said:

Thanks

I’ll have to watch again. Lots going on. 

Although that video again shows the kid standing in 1 spot and the elder walking up to him as well. Man this is all nonsense. No one is a winner here no looks good. And a couple of those kids really need some better guidance. I can’t believe the school failed them so bad in the moment. And I sure hope if a parent sees the video that they address and shortcomings with their kid. It’s an opportunity for these kids to learn a lesson that will improve them and their lives. The hate speech promoters in the beginning are already lost. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    PJPOWER said:
    ed243421 said:

Thanks

Maybe one puking guy in Boston.
    Ha, or a person yelling “Play Riot Act” the whole concert in Denver!

ed243421 said:

Thanks

I finally saw the other kids. A couple of chops. That’s partially why teams need to change their mascots, names, logos. It’s literally the first thing these kids think of when they hear that type of music.
    hippiemom = goodness