New Gillette add "Toxic Masculinity" is causing quite a stir!

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Guess y'all need a distraction from what really matters, Team Trump Treason campaign coordinating a hack of the DNC with Russian hackers, being specific in their request for damaging information. But yea, privileged high school kids, a Native American drummer with driving and alcohol violations from 40+ years ago and some whack job black Israelite Jew. Keep those priorities straight, will ya?
    Well this thread is about toxic masculinity, and those kids came along and displayed it big time just when this thread came along.
    Why would be discuss those other topics in this thread? And why shouldn't be discuss this topic - obviously it's related to a bigger issue, but also, we're just here having a conversation - no need to come along and tell us we shouldn't be.
    Yeah come on, Halifax. There's plenty of Trump threads on this board. Not everybody wants to talk about him every waking moment. 

The news today is very damning but the privileged youth acting like asshats is such a more pressing issue. I get that not everyone wants to discuss Team Trump Treason everyday but you're witnessing the greatest political crime and cover up, with Russia no less, since Watergate and posters can wax poetic and go on and on about something that really has not one impact on any of our lives. Team Trump Treason and Team Mueller, meh, fake news. Putin on the ritz is proud.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Why are they “privileged”?

Of the three groups in the conflict, who or which one is privileged?
    No I am asking, why are the white kids privileged?

Being born white, to upper middle class parents, attending private school and probably not ever having had to struggle, for anything, whether it be food, clothes, shelter, etc. and thus, not understand how or why the black guy might be ranting crazy shit or the Native American is banging a drum and is present at a protest (this occurred on the day of the Indigenous People's March, right?).
    Kay, my sister married rich, and her and my bro-in-law's two kids are INSANELY priviledged. They live in a super rich-ass neighborhood in a $7 million house, the household cars are BMW and Mercedes SUVs, and a crazy new Porche for my bro-in-laws midlife crisis, lol, and my sister just bought her 10 year old daughter a fucking pony, for real. They have a second home in Whistler, and they go to the most exclusive private school in metro Vancouver. And they are both SUPER good and respectful kids, who would never act like these little pieces of shit. And they would certainly be more sensitive to cultural things like that (and thank you - everyone seems to have forgotten this guy was at a a freaking Indigenous People's march FFS). These kids acted like that because of the culture they are living in, and because of the atmosphere being presented to them by their parents, their school, and the politics and racism embraced within those bubbles. Not because they never wanted for anything. IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Their parents have thousands of extra dollars lying around that they choose to spend on sending their kids to a school that caters to their delusions.
    How do you not see privilege in that?
    Kids are privileged if they go to a private school?  Interesting. I know lots of people who send their kids to private schools for a time period because the public school sucks in their town.  I never thought of those kids or any kid that goes to a private school as privileged. 
    I would say, as respectfully as possible, that this response shows a significant level of privilege lol 
    If you can't even see it, you are swimming pretty deep in it.

My parents could barely afford to send me to PUBLIC school!  I was a free lunch kid for some time, reduced up to highschool.

Yes, private school kids are privileged.  Period.
    My best friend sends his daughter to private school. They really can't afford it, he works usually 12 hour days and a large chunk of his pay goes to tuition. They do it because they live in LA and they fear some of the situations at public schools there. 
    His wife (her mom) was diagnosed with cancer 6 months ago, and recently told she has just a few months to live. He can't afford to not work and pay bills. They were going to kick their daughter out of school for lack of payment, but when he pleaded the situation they decided to keep her for the year and consider the tuition a grant.
    He can only afford to take a few weeks off because of some money that was raised with a GoFundMe, but will have to return to work before long. She will remain in the hospital, will probably never go home again before she dies because they can't afford the home-care she would need at this stage.

But when I see them all again in a few months at her funeral, I'll be sure to remind them they are privileged because they are white and go to private school. That is assuming they can raise enough money to have a funeral.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Their parents have thousands of extra dollars lying around that they choose to spend on sending their kids to a school that caters to their delusions.
    Kids are privileged if they go to a private school?  Interesting. I know lots of people who send their kids to private schools for a time period because the public school sucks in their town.  I never thought of those kids or any kid that goes to a private school as privileged. 
    I would say, as respectfully as possible, that this response shows a significant level of privilege lol 

My parents could barely afford to send me to PUBLIC school!  I was a free lunch kid for some time, reduced up to highschool.

It sucks you that you were poor growing up but I still don't see kids going to a private school as privileged.  You don't know whether or not some of those parents are busting their ass at a second job or taking loans out to send their kids to a better school.  
    I work an extra job so I can provide things for my kids: little league, vacations, bigger house, music lessons, etc.  Does that make them privileged? 
    Absolutely, it does.
    The problem is with how typical white middle class Americans think of privilege.
    Privilege doesn't necessarily mean that you didn't/don't work hard for what you have, it only means that your hard work is rewarded well enough to afford you privileges that others don't have, despite working just as hard as you.

My Dad worked midnight 12's and watched us kids because no babysitter.  He slept 3.5 hours in the late evening 6 days a week for almost 2 years straight at one point. My mom waitressed in the daytime and did home cleaning in the afternoon. 
    I hope you know I'm not bragging or whining, just saying that people struggle out there.
    Imagine all of that, plus you are black and live in a high crime area.  How bad would that suck???
    Privileged isn't synonymous with spoiled, you dig?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I know he is not.  But it would be funny if that kid was a 10 club member and seeing the shit-kicking he is taking on this site.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited January 2019
    MOST kids who go to private school are indeed privileged, that is undeniable. But not all of them are, and it is actually less likely when you're talking about a religious private school. I've know several guys who went to an all boys Catholic private school who were just regular middle class, at best (oddly, I know no girls like that).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

My best friend sends his daughter to private school. They really can't afford it, he works usually 12 hour days and a large chunk of his pay goes to tuition. They do it because they live in LA and they fear some of the situations at public schools there. 
    His wife (her mom) was diagnosed with cancer 6 months ago, and recently told she has just a few months to live. He can't afford to not work and pay bills. They were going to kick their daughter out of school for lack of payment, but when he pleaded the situation they decided to keep her for the year and consider the tuition a grant.
    He can only afford to take a few weeks off because of some money that was raised with a GoFundMe, but will have to return to work before long. She will remain in the hospital, will probably never go home again before she dies because they can't afford the home-care she would need at this stage.

But when I see them all again in a few months at her funeral, I'll be sure to remind them they are privileged because they are white and go to private school. That is assuming they can raise enough money to have a funeral.
    So very sorry about your family's situation.  That's fucking tragic.
    PJ_Soul said:
    MOST kids who go to private school are indeed privileged, that is undeniable. But not all of them are, and it is actually less likely when you're talking about a religious private school. I've know several guys who went to an all boys Catholic private school who were just regular middle class, at best (oddly, I know no girls like that).
    Regular middle class is privileged though, isn't it?
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Regular middle class is privileged though, isn't it?
    .... Well, I suppose it's all relative, but I'm quite sure not in the context we're discussing it, right? I mean, the working poor are also privileged if you look at it that way. You just have to compare them to the homeless... Plus, the middle class is getting fucked right up the ass by the true privileged - the rich.
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Its my best friend and his family, but thank you. 
    I just don't agree with comments that white privilege exists for all (or most) white people. There are a lot of white families who struggle, even ones who attend private schools make huge sacrifices to put them there.

I would admit more minorities struggle than whites due to previous generations. But there's a common theme of "you're white, you must have it easy" that isn't true. Not just on here, but everywhere. At my last school it was nearly all Hispanic, and even the students thought us white teachers were rich and the black teachers were poor, even though we had the exact same job (and pay)! They would ask serious questions like "how do you not have a better car, you're white?" or "Why do you teach?" (seriously believing that all white people are so rich they do not need to work).

edited January 2019
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Its my best friend and his family, but thank you. 
    I just don't agree with comments that white privilege exists for all (or most) white people. There are a lot of white families who struggle, even ones who attend private schools make huge sacrifices to put them there.

I would admit more minorities struggle than whites due to previous generations. But there's a common theme of "you're white, you must have it easy" that isn't true. Not just on here, but everywhere. At my last school it was nearly all Hispanic, and even the students thought us white teachers were rich and the black teachers were poor, even though we had the exact same job (and pay)! They would ask serious questions like "how do you not have a better car, you're white?" or "Why do you teach?" (seriously believing that all white people are so rich they do not need to work).

I agree with that... But let's just be clear here: We're not talking about "white privilege" here. Right? Because even poor white people have that. We're talking about actual wealth or lack thereof - not the same kind of privilege in any way. In that case, yes, of course, there are tons of poverty-stricken white people. Just wanted to mention in case people saw this and thought they're related. ;)
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Guess y'all need a distraction from what really matters, Team Trump Treason campaign coordinating a hack of the DNC with Russian hackers, being specific in their request for damaging information. But yea, privileged high school kids, a Native American drummer with driving and alcohol violations from 40+ years ago and some whack job black Israelite Jew. Keep those priorities straight, will ya?
    Well this thread is about toxic masculinity, and those kids came along and displayed it big time just when this thread came along.
    Why would be discuss those other topics in this thread? And why shouldn't be discuss this topic - obviously it's related to a bigger issue, but also, we're just here having a conversation - no need to come along and tell us we shouldn't be.
    Yeah come on, Halifax. There's plenty of Trump threads on this board. Not everybody wants to talk about him every waking moment. 
    Sometimes I literally just have to turn the news off because I can't take anymore Trump for the day, lol.
    Agreed. I made the mistake of getting back into the trump thread. I m done. Let’s talk pizza, ikea, how to spell your name and old dudes playing drums. 
    someone say pizza?

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2019
    Here come the defamation and libel lawsuits stemming from the Native American drumming incident...
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/02/01/sandmanns-lawyer-media-they-know-they-crossed-line/2745272002/
  • PJPOWER said:
    Here come the defamation and libel lawsuits stemming from the Native American drumming incident...
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/02/01/sandmanns-lawyer-media-they-know-they-crossed-line/2745272002/
    This will be interesting.
    PJPOWER said:
    Doesn't take long for the lawyers to see an opportunity to line their pockets.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Except for libel the burden of proof falls to the kid to prove, "malicious intent." Good luck with that.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Except for libel the burden of proof falls to the kid to prove, "malicious intent." Good luck with that.
    Any news group that reported the incident falsely or corroborated a story other than what happened can be sued for Libel.  I believe that is the angle they are going for here and why any emails about the story from the beginning shouldn't be deleted?
    Any news group that reported the incident falsely or corroborated a story other than what happened can be sued for Libel.  I believe that is the angle they are going for here and why any emails about the story from the beginning shouldn't be deleted?
    Being sued is one thing. Winning is another. And if successful, wouldn't it then open the door to all the Faux News, National Enquirer, Brietbart, etc., being sued for the nonsense they "report" on?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    edited February 2019
    Except for libel the burden of proof falls to the kid to prove, "malicious intent." Good luck with that.
    I don’t know, I think that malice would be easy to prove if a an organization went further than just reporting the news to cause character harm to these students.  Technically anyone that “tried to make them look bad” by false reporting anything and there was a lot of false reporting going on here.  I would think the Native American may have ground for lawsuits against some media corporations as well, though.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    Being sued is one thing. Winning is another. And if successful, wouldn't it then open the door to all the Faux News, National Enquirer, Brietbart, etc., being sued for the nonsense they "report" on?
    The Enquirer gets sued, I'm not sure about the other outlets.

I'm surprised Rolling Stone didn't get sued for their UVA story.
    Except for libel the burden of proof falls to the kid to prove, "malicious intent." Good luck with that.

Odds  are it would be settled and the students will have their college paid for.  
    PJPOWER said:

Odds  are it would be settled and the students will have their college paid for.  
    That's likely the storey the lawyers fed them...and who are we to question lawyers motive.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJPOWER said:

That's likely the storey the lawyers fed them...and who are we to question lawyers motive.
    lol.  Yeah, we know the lawyers only wish to uphold decency!
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    PJPOWER said:
    I don’t know, I think that malice would be easy to prove if a an organization went further than just reporting the news to cause character harm to these students.  Technically anyone that “tried to make them look bad” by false reporting anything and there was a lot of false reporting going on here.  I would think the Native American may have ground for lawsuits against some media corporations as well, though.
    A lot of false reporting? Does that mean they left some things out? Because leaving things out is different than libel. 
  • PJPOWER said:
    A lot of false reporting? Does that mean they left some things out? Because leaving things out is different than libel. 
    I do believe they will go the angle of libel and inciting people.

The knee jerk reaction that I saw to this incident was pretty bad...
  • PJPOWER said:

The press isn't responsible for the "reaction." Again, to prove libel, you have to show that the press intentionally meant to be malicious and harmful in order to "hurt" or slander the victim. It'll come down to, do these news organizations want to expend time and money fighting this or settle for some undisclosed amount with a non-disclosure and an apology?

Brilliantati©
  • PJPOWER said:

The press isn't responsible for the "reaction." Again, to prove libel, you have to show that the press intentionally meant to be malicious and harmful in order to "hurt" or slander the victim. It'll come down to, do these news organizations want to expend time and money fighting this or settle for some undisclosed amount with a non-disclosure and an apology?
    Boom.  There you go!
    PJPOWER said:
    I would have to read the individual articles that they are suing in reference to.  There was a lot of slander being thrown at these kids by numerous sources, so it wouldn’t surprise me if one of the media outlets said something out of line as well.
    It isn't just bad reporting, it's bad reporting that resulted in a singling out a high school kid to the point where he got death threats.
    As much as you may not like Fox, I con't think of a single story where they hammered down on a single individual, who was a minor, to the point where he/she was getting harassed and death threats. But that is exactly what these news stories did, and much of what they reported on about the incident for days wasn't even true.
    I would like to see any news agency held accountable for things like that. I'm sure there is some law a fancy lawyer could argue about negligence resulting in harm or something.
  • mace1229 said:
    It isn't just bad reporting, it's bad reporting that resulted in a singling out a high school kid to the point where he got death threats.
    As much as you may not like Fox, I con't think of a single story where they hammered down on a single individual, who was a minor, to the point where he/she was getting harassed and death threats. But that is exactly what these news stories did, and much of what they reported on about the incident for days wasn't even true.
    I would like to see any news agency held accountable for things like that. I'm sure there is some law a fancy lawyer could argue about negligence resulting in harm or something.
    Oh please, don’t act like the MAGA hat wearer was the first victim of media bashing or a victim of death threats as a result of media. Go look up the murdered abortion doctors and the relentless right wing media attacks that contributed to their deaths.

Brilliantati©
    mace1229 said:
    You forgot David Hogg that fast??