I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Cob said:

A gooder. I've been listening to him quite a bit lately. Life of Illusion is an awesome song.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dogmatt said:

Reissue.  Worth every cent of the $180 I spent.  Well done and the LPs sound exceptional.  This is the way all vinyl reissues should be.
    Awesome!! I have this as well & it's one of my favorites in my collection.
    The Live Anthology just slightly tops it though.. The quality is out of this world and the presentation (book style) is the icing.  

Is the 2nd pressing as good as the first?

I see these for just over $100 on ebay and I would like to pick one up if they are.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dogmatt said:

Reissue.  Worth every cent of the $180 I spent.  Well done and the LPs sound exceptional.  This is the way all vinyl reissues should be.
    The Live Anthology just slightly tops it though.. The quality is out of this world and the presentation (book style) is the icing.  

I see these for just over $100 on ebay and I would like to pick one up if they are.
    If you have the 4-CD set, you're all good. Every track was digitally sourced, so you're not missing out on any analog warmth or depth. Other than having it on your shelf, there's absolutely no reason to own the 7-LP set if you already have the 4-CD set. Both sound equally amazing, but the CDs are certainly less labor intensive.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dogmatt said:

If you have the 4-CD set, you're all good. Every track was digitally sourced, so you're not missing out on any analog warmth or depth. Other than having it on your shelf, there's absolutely no reason to own the 7-LP set if you already have the 4-CD set. Both sound equally amazing, but the CDs are certainly less labor intensive.
    I generally agree with this.  I have the 24 bit FLAC files along with the vinyl.  I actually did an A/B not too long ago because I'm strange like that.  I streamed through my Yamaha WXC DAC while playing the vinyl.  I just flipped back and forth between the phono and the aux listening for differences.  I could hear some extra depth or oomph to the bass on the vinyl, but it was pretty subtle.  I don't regret the purchase in the least though.  For a hundred bucks, completely worth it in my opinion.  
  • dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dogmatt said:

mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dogmatt said:

I generally agree with this.  I have the 24 bit FLAC files along with the vinyl.  I actually did an A/B not too long ago because I'm strange like that.  I streamed through my Yamaha WXC DAC while playing the vinyl.  I just flipped back and forth between the phono and the aux listening for differences.  I could hear some extra depth or oomph to the bass on the vinyl, but it was pretty subtle.  I don't regret the purchase in the least though.  For a hundred bucks, completely worth it in my opinion.  
    Thanks.

I have the OG version w the discs and single LP.

Maybe I'll pick up a used version for under $100.
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dogmatt said:

mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dogmatt said:

Thanks.

What's the version with single LP?  What's on the LP?
  • mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dogmatt said:

mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dogmatt said:

Thanks.

What's the version with single LP?  What's on the LP?
    This is what I have.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Tom-Petty-the-Heartbreakers-The-Live-Anthology-Best-Buy-Exclusive/323631224800?epid=1801045789&hash=item4b59ec97e0:g:D8QAAOSw5V1bU5mr:rk:2:pf:0
    ^ Thanks!  I'm not familiar with that 12" so that's nice.  I suggest you sell your version for $795 also and buy 8 1/2 copies on vinyl.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    ^ Thanks!  I'm not familiar with that 12" so that's nice.  I suggest you sell your version for $795 also and buy 8 1/2 copies on vinyl.  
    HAHAHAHAHAH!!!  I'm thinking it's a pipe dream to sell for that.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399

Post holiday vinyl splurge.

- Grateful Dead - Cornell ‘77
    - Pink Floyd - Pulse
    - Explosions in the Sky - the Wilderness

The Pulse box is awesome. Very nice package.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Posted this in the other section also, but since I did finally get the US version today.

Ok if anyone cares here are the differences between the US and EU pressing of vault #8.

PACKAGE
    Packaging is exactly the same, no difference in the book style package and exact same spine information, style and position.
    However, the EU version does have the LPs in separate black paper sleeves. So you may see more scuffs from the US version as you try to remove them from the book pages. I would have liked the black sleeves to by poly-lined, but I guess you can't have everything.

LPs
    The records are the EXACT same cut. They're from the same plates, plated at RTI. Both versions were cut by Levi Seitz at Black Belt Mastering in Seattle. These plates were then sent to press at Cascade Record Pressing, per information here. Now there is not any information regarding this plant in the runouts. Usually Cascade etch CP-#### on their work however there are none present on the US pressings, if I had no information from here, I would have assumed they were pressed at RTI. The plates sent to Europe were pressed at GZ Media. This can be found by their job number stamps on the EU pressings runout.

Sound
    These should sound EXACTLY the same. Since they're from the same plates (cuts), there should be no sound difference. Now I have not listened to both yet, and pressing errors can cause audible differences, but that would be the pressing plants fault.

The look of the LPs look very nice, all seem to be flat, and labels centered. Look forward to listening and see what we have.
    Have you listened to your first copy yet? If so,  how is it? Mine was supposed to be delivered today by haven't seen it. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Have you listened to your first copy yet? If so,  how is it? Mine was supposed to be delivered today by haven't seen it. 
    Going to listen this evening. Will let you know.
  • Saves me from buying the EU copy, TY!!!
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    T.Rex - Electric Warrior 
    T.Rex - Electric Warrior 
    If it's the 2017 Kevin Gray cut... you have a WINNER!
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    MedozK said:
    T.Rex - Electric Warrior 
    If it's the 2017 Kevin Gray cut... you have a WINNER!
    It sure is. I read some discogs reviews first before hitting up my record shop yesterday. I knew what I was getting.
    gave it a spin today and sounds great!!!
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    reesdog said:

Nice haul! Esp that OG Sister.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • reesdog said:

How does that Ice Cube album hold for today?  I find him laughable now and can't take him serious.  Just curious as to what you think?
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Love that Kowalski single. Scream Teams cover of 96 tears is fantastic.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    reesdog said:

I've read a lot of great stuff about The Fall and Buzzcocks but neither have registered will with my inner ear to this point.  I just can't seem to get into them, and yet they are so well received my many people with similar tastes to mine.  I keep waiting for the music of those bands to click with me.  Of course, if and/or once they do, there goes some more money, haha!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Thoughts, @MedozK ?
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
    pjpitt89 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Thoughts, @MedozK ?

Sound is good, not terrific. Sound stage is fair. I would like to hear a little more depth in the music, but I guess that what you get with digital.

The pressings were great, I have nothing bad to say about either US or EU pressings. Flat, quiet, centered.. really good.
  • I love this album (came today):

"My brain's a good brain!"
    I love this album (came today):

Nice!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Just arrived today.  Hard to believe it took me ten years to catch up with this one.  I love it!

• brianlux said:
    Just arrived today.  Hard to believe it took me ten years to catch up with this one.  I love it!

That band was a sob story.  I hear the lead singer is finally sober.
    MedozK said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Thoughts, @MedozK ?

Sound is good, not terrific. Sound stage is fair. I would like to hear a little more depth in the music, but I guess that what you get with digital.

The pressings were great, I have nothing bad to say about either US or EU pressings. Flat, quiet, centered.. really good.
    I really want to compare to the FLAC HD, but if it's the same quality, then I don't want to open the damn thing.  Catch-22.  

brianlux said:

That band was a sob story.  I hear the lead singer is finally sober.
    Yeah, I read that somewhere but apparently those days took their toll.  At least they weren't fatal times like the end result of too many  others.