Obamacare ACA (Affordable Care Act)

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I removed my appendix. 

I paid 30 dollars for the emergency visit. 

Then 20 dollars for the stay (10 dollars a night)

= 50 dollars.

No health insurance.
    Damn you paid $50 and still had to remove your own appendix?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I removed my appendix. 

= 50 dollars.

No health insurance.
    LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    had my appendix out and paid $0. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    CM189191 said:
    weird...health care is expensive...who knew?

How does your health care expenditure compare to your budgets for food, car or home?

For example, if I were to ballpark annual costs : 
    • Health care insurance, Rx, and appointment co-pays : $2500 per year
    • Car gas & maintenance : $3500
    • Mortgage, assn dues, & home maintenance : $20000
    • Grocery/food : $10000
    • Student loans : paid off
    • Pearl Jam concerts, merch & travel : $priceless
    This is really rough napkin math.  But health care isn't so expensive for me when compared to other 'essentials'.
    You only pay $2500 a year for health insurance?

My plan is $9800 a year...
    Yeah, I'm at about $7,000/yr for premiums, plus a few grand for out-of-pocket. Even my Dr visit co-pay just went from $30 to $60 this year. $60 to walk through the fucking door to talk to a doctor. Easily > $10k each year, and that is if things are relatively healthy. Throw in a procedure (kidney stones surgery last year that I spent a year making payments for), and it can be a lot more than that. $2500 is nowhere near the per capita healthcare spend in the US, which is $10,739 currently.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I removed my appendix. 

= 50 dollars.

No health insurance.
    Hospital Depot is an even cheaper alternative for DIY surgery 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    CM189191 said:

How does your health care expenditure compare to your budgets for food, car or home?

This is really rough napkin math.  But health care isn't so expensive for me when compared to other 'essentials'.

single or family?

That's my single rate.  If my wife didn't cover herself, it would more or less double.  We don't have any kids, which would make it double again.  

So it still comes out to ~$2500 per year per person.  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • I removed my appendix. 

= 50 dollars.

No health insurance.
    Hospital Depot is an even cheaper alternative for DIY surgery 
    I know a whole lot of people that go down to Mexico for dental work because it's way cheaper than here and they do a really good job.
  • CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

single or family?

That's my single rate.  If my wife didn't cover herself, it would more or less double.  We don't have any kids, which would make it double again.  

Just me...
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

single or family?

Just me...
    yikes, good luck with that
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

single or family?

Just me...
    I don't understand why you pay a fraction of my cost?  I do have the "Gold Package".
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    9,000$/year premiums.
    6,000$ deductible/person

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

single or family?

Just me...
    I don't understand why you pay a fraction of my cost?  I do have the "Gold Package".
    because our health care system is broken

Gold package is thru ACA?

My coverage is thru my employer.  I do have a relatively high deductible ($6000?).  But I don't have any ongoing medical issues, so I contribute an equivalent amount to my HSA, which is invested and earning money.  At least it was until this year....
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Reading the amounts you guys have to pay for health coverage makes me so grateful for mine. I work at Costco and coverage is amazing. They take out $24 from my bi-weekly paychecks. That's medical, dental and vision. Medical coverage is 90% after the $250 deductible is met with an out of pocket $1500 maximum. Dental and vision are equally amazingly covered. I'm counting my blessings right now.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    One sad lesson that can be taken away from this thread is that it isn't all that wise to start/own your own business.  Go to work for a mega corporation and hope they treat you, the economy, and the environment with respect.
    Sad.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Reading the amounts you guys have to pay for health coverage makes me so grateful for mine. I work at Costco and coverage is amazing. They take out $24 from my bi-weekly paychecks. That's medical, dental and vision. Medical coverage is 90% after the $250 deductible is met with an out of pocket $1500 maximum. Dental and vision are equally amazingly covered. I'm counting my blessings right now.
    That's disgusting.  It really is.

Penalizing a single payer is just wrong...
  • CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

single or family?

Just me...

My coverage is thru my employer.  I do have a relatively high deductible ($6000?).  But I don't have any ongoing medical issues, so I contribute an equivalent amount to my HSA, which is invested and earning money.  At least it was until this year....
    Yes they had a Bronze, silver, gold.

So I went back to see what the hell is going on with this and apparently because of the amount I make a year is reflected on how much I pay.

For shits and grins I put in that I make $25,000 and my monthly payment was $292 rather than $816 I pay now.

I have to pay more because others can't.  Isn't that some bullshit...
    Reading the amounts you guys have to pay for health coverage makes me so grateful for mine. I work at Costco and coverage is amazing. They take out $24 from my bi-weekly paychecks. That's medical, dental and vision. Medical coverage is 90% after the $250 deductible is met with an out of pocket $1500 maximum. Dental and vision are equally amazingly covered. I'm counting my blessings right now.

I’m confused by your response. Disgusting? Penalized?  
    My employer is providing exceptional insurance at a minimal cost to employees. 
    Where is the negative? 
  • Reading the amounts you guys have to pay for health coverage makes me so grateful for mine. I work at Costco and coverage is amazing. They take out $24 from my bi-weekly paychecks. That's medical, dental and vision. Medical coverage is 90% after the $250 deductible is met with an out of pocket $1500 maximum. Dental and vision are equally amazingly covered. I'm counting my blessings right now.

Where is the negative? 
    I am a singular payer so my rate is 5 times the amount of yours. 

That is what is disgusting.

That is where the negative is.

Because I choose to not be employed by a corporate company they penalize me.

I also get penalized for making what I do and have to pay a much higher amount.
    Gotcha. Took the post wrong. 
  • Gotcha. Took the post wrong. 
    NP at all.  

When I did work corporate I had a Cadillac insurance plan.  I was pissed when I looked at the options offered through the ACA.

If you have a preexisting condition it is good.

If you are poor it's good too.

If I ever got really sick I would quit my job, receive welfare and get my medical for free.  That really is how the system is rigged to work. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

Where is the negative? 

Right...they should allow everyone who is not in a group plan to be in a public plan which should reduce all of our rates.

Keep in mind that Costco is likely paying a decent premium for the employees....that is just the employee share
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

Where is the negative? 

That was the whole point of Obamacare. Make healthy, young individuals overpay to compensate for the unhealthy, the elderly and the families. That was exactly how it was designed. It makes no sense.  In the end people like you are penalized for being young (by "young" I mean not old, don't get too flattered) and healthy.
    I know several people in their 20s and 30s who opt out of insurance because it is cheaper to pay the fine than some ridiculous premium that they are likely never going to need.
    mace1229 said:

Where is the negative? 

That was the whole point of Obamacare. Make healthy, young individuals overpay to compensate for the unhealthy, the elderly and the families. That was exactly how it was designed. It makes no sense.  In the end people like you are penalized for being young (by "young" I mean not old, don't get too flattered) and healthy.
    I know several people in their 20s and 30s who opt out of insurance because it is cheaper to pay the fine than some ridiculous premium that they are likely never going to need.
    Of course it makes sense. This is in fact exactly how these things work, and they do work, all around the world. If you spread the costs among the whole population, young and old, healthy and not so healthy, then the costs are manageable for everyone, no one goes bankrupt, and the system can be funded. It is deliberately not meant to replicate buying a consumer good. 

If you don’t do this - you get what the US has. 

Where is the negative? 

Right...they should allow everyone who is not in a group plan to be in a public plan which should reduce all of our rates.

Keep in mind that Costco is likely paying a decent premium for the employees....that is just the employee share
    I even asked about this when enrolling.

It would be nice, but nope.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited January 2019
    mace1229 said:

Where is the negative? 

Of course it makes sense. This is in fact exactly how these things work, and they do work, all around the world. If you spread the costs among the whole population, young and old, healthy and not so healthy, then the costs are manageable for everyone, no one goes bankrupt, and the system can be funded. It is deliberately not meant to replicate buying a consumer good. 

It makes sense if you leave out the insurance companies, the middle man. We do not. Everyone overpays for health, because in order for health insurance to be a billion dollar industry they have to over charge.
    The difference is most countries you are referring to provide health coverage. We do not. We provide health insurance.  Making healthy people pay into an insurance program that they do not need does not make sense.
    Making healthy people pay into a health program that is meant to treat people and not profit off of it might. But that is not what we do.

FOr what the average American pays in premiums we should not pay a time for treatment. But that is not the case, we still get stuck with thousands of dollars of medical bills on top of what we pay for premiums. Insurance is taking too big of a cut and profiting too much off our health.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Where is the negative? 

It makes sense if you leave out the insurance companies, the middle man. We do not. Everyone overpays for health, because in order for health insurance to be a billion dollar industry they have to over charge.
    The difference is most countries you are referring to provide health coverage. We do not. We provide health insurance.  Making healthy people pay into an insurance program that they do not need does not make sense.
    Making healthy people pay into a health program that is meant to treat people and not profit off of it might. But that is not what we do.

Not what you do now, that's true. 
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

single or family?

Just me...

So I went back to see what the hell is going on with this and apparently because of the amount I make a year is reflected on how much I pay.

For shits and grins I put in that I make $25,000 and my monthly payment was $292 rather than $816 I pay now.

Not really - You pay more because you can at this point in time right now. 

What about when you were an infant, or if you lost your job, or grow old and can't work anymore?  Insurance helps to spread those costs around.  Not just for yourself, but for everyone.  This brings stability to the market, which helps to control costs.

Where is the negative? 

I even asked about this when enrolling.

It would be nice, but nope.
    Yeah Obama didn't fight hard enough for the public option....the GOP opposed it of course.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

single or family?

Just me...

Actually we are paying less....the difference in premium is the government subsidy.  If the government wasn't subsidizing those with lesser income our premiums would definitely be higher.

• CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

single or family?

Just me...

Not really - You pay more because you can at this point in time right now. 

What about when you were an infant, or if you lost your job, or grow old and can't work anymore?  Insurance helps to spread those costs around.  Not just for yourself, but for everyone.  This brings stability to the market, which helps to control costs.
    This is easy enough to break down.

You pay more because you can at this point in time right now-   This isn't very smart.  I don't want to pay more.  I'd like to pay as much as the next guy and an even playing field.  Non of this trickle down crap.

What about when you were an infant- Parents have insurance usually so this is silly.  I

What about if you grow old- That would be Medicare/medicaid/Social security benefits that takes care of this.  I pay in to it every pay check.

What about if can't work anymore- SS disability covers this too should I not be able to work.  Again this is something I pay into.

I had mentioned before that if for any reason that I should become ill I am quitting my job, getting welfare so that all my medical bills are covered.  There is zero point in myself trying to maintain a household and keep paying for insurance that is obviously overpriced so I'll just go the poverty route.

This is why this country is so screwed up with the whole healthcare thing.  If EVERYONE pays into one big group fund then there is zero reason that along with medicare and SS benefits that we can't have a universal healthcare for everyone.

I don't want to have to pay higher so that others can pay lower, that is what the SS/medicare/medicaid tax is for.