Options

Obamacare ACA (Affordable Care Act)

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    edited October 2020
    mace1229 said:
    I believe private companies work better than government controlled ones. That's my opinion, maybe it wouldn't apply to healthcare. I just fear if there's this much red tape now, could it get worse? Would it?
    Part of the problem is the abuse of the ER. Would a government program impact that? I don't know. I used to be strongly against socialized medicine, but now I'm not sure. Been in the middle for a while now because of experiences like what I just shared. 
    your specific situation would never happen in socialized health care. at least not in manitoba (and not out of indifference as you described). if someone is in dire health, they get seen whether they have a medical card or not. and emergencies like the one you are describing are given priority. 

there's no real difference in quality of care. the main differences are wait times for elective/non-emergency surgeries, and yes, sometimes the accommodations aren't the best. you often, or actually more accurately always, have to share a room with at least one other patient. 

brock lesnar fell gravely ill while up here hunting near Brandon Manitoba with diverticulitis, and infamously stated the healthcare was like a 3rd world country. but i think he was probably referring to not being in a palace of a room with a team of doctors to himself. he got treated like everyone else. finances do not dictate your care. unless your particular province has their own privatized health care option, which some do. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I do not want corporations running hospitals...they operate profit over people.  

Part of the reason Covid-19 got so bad is your shitty medical.  How many folks died because they could not afford to go to the hospital.

Universal health care is the only way to.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I believe private companies work better than government controlled ones. That's my opinion, maybe it wouldn't apply to healthcare. I just fear if there's this much red tape now, could it get worse? Would it?
    Part of the problem is the abuse of the ER. Would a government program impact that? I don't know. I used to be strongly against socialized medicine, but now I'm not sure. Been in the middle for a while now because of experiences like what I just shared. 
    Sorry, your wife and you had to go through that kind of medical distress.

in Canada, we have universal health care.  if you spend enough time googling you'll see that happens here as well...unfortunately.

A few years back I went to the ER with kidney stones.  I got off work on a Friday around 11:30.  The pain started around 12:30...I started drinking lots of water to try and piss the stone out...big mistake.  I went to the ER around 4.  I told the triage nurse that I can not piss...she then sent me over to the person who registers patients...that lady took one look at me and got the head er nurse.  She took me in right away.

I have never been in so much pain...and yet it was the receptionist who got me in ASAP...because she said " you do not look well at all"...meanwhile the shit for brain nurse wanted to send me back to the waiting room.  I had a stone in each kidney blocking me from pissing and surgery was performed...

The ER nurse told me that these younger nurses think everyone is looking for oxy...and the ER nurse said one look at me she should have known I was in medical distress.  

The best advice I got was from a friend who is EMS...go via ambulance. 

that's indicative of a shitty nurse, not the healthcare system. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    mace1229 said:
    your specific situation would never happen in socialized health care. at least not in manitoba (and not out of indifference as you described). if someone is in dire health, they get seen whether they have a medical card or not. and emergencies like the one you are describing are given priority. 

there's no real difference in quality of care. the main differences are wait times for elective/non-emergency surgeries, and yes, sometimes the accommodations aren't the best. you often, or actually more accurately always, have to share a room with at least one other patient. 

brock lesnar fell gravely ill while up here hunting near Brandon Manitoba with diverticulitis, and infamously stated the healthcare was like a 3rd world country. but i think he was probably referring to not being in a palace of a room with a team of doctors to himself. he got treated like everyone else. finances do not dictate your care. unless your particular province has their own privatized health care option, which some do. 
    And that's where the US is different.  Every comparison and complaint is from the perspective of the upper-middle-class, even when the complainer is working class.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:

And that's where the US is different.  Every comparison and complaint is from the perspective of the upper-middle-class, even when the complainer is working class.

of course. the same reason all the rich fucks in congress couldn't give two shits about helping. doesn't affect them. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    mace1229 said:

My understanding here is the ER is required to treat all people, with or without insurance. I don't know all the details but its commonly believed the ER is heavily abused. I assume people get seen for not life threatening illness and then skip on the bill later. A private doctor or urgent care is not required to treat people, so it may be harder to get in without insurance, which is why and ER gets overcrowded. 
    That's my basic understanding of part of the problem, never really looked into it that much. 
  • Options
    @mace1229

I am angry for you.  Really angry.

Is your Wife ok?!?

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    @mace1229

I am angry for you.  Really angry.

Is your Wife ok?!?

Thanks. Yes she’s okay. Gave her an epi pen and 2 other things and monitored her for a few hours.
    After we actually got admitted the care was pretty good. I’m sure they will be happy to send us a bill for $5000, of which we’ll owe $2000 after our insurance “negotiated” rate and copay. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mace1229 said:
    Sorry, your wife and you had to go through that kind of medical distress.

in Canada, we have universal health care.  if you spend enough time googling you'll see that happens here as well...unfortunately.

A few years back I went to the ER with kidney stones.  I got off work on a Friday around 11:30.  The pain started around 12:30...I started drinking lots of water to try and piss the stone out...big mistake.  I went to the ER around 4.  I told the triage nurse that I can not piss...she then sent me over to the person who registers patients...that lady took one look at me and got the head er nurse.  She took me in right away.

I have never been in so much pain...and yet it was the receptionist who got me in ASAP...because she said " you do not look well at all"...meanwhile the shit for brain nurse wanted to send me back to the waiting room.  I had a stone in each kidney blocking me from pissing and surgery was performed...

The ER nurse told me that these younger nurses think everyone is looking for oxy...and the ER nurse said one look at me she should have known I was in medical distress.  

The best advice I got was from a friend who is EMS...go via ambulance. 

that's indicative of a shitty nurse, not the healthcare system. 
    I must have missed the part where I said our healthcare was shitty.  Just pointing out it shitty medical will happen in any system.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Can you imagine the Team trump Treason Tax Cheat post POTUS book and library? Empty like that big, thick, gag of a joke that Kayleigh McAmeanie handed Leslie Stahl. 

This week, The New Yorker is publishing a long piece by Barack Obama about the ferocious battle over his most transformative piece of legislation, the Affordable Care Act. In “A President Looks Back on His Toughest Fight,” which is adapted from his forthcoming memoir, “A Promised Land,” the forty-fourth President grapples with the ongoing American debate over health care: the root of the problem, the countervailing interests, the ambitions, the setbacks, the politics—“the art of the possible,” as Obama describes the process. His subject could not be more relevant: as the election approaches, and as Americans continue to suffer from the pandemic and the systemic failures it has exposed, health care is at the center of everyone’s attention. Meanwhile, Donald Trump, having failed repeatedly to kill the A.C.A. in Congress and, so far, in the courts, continues to promise that he will replace it with something far better. Soon. Very soon. 

President Obama’s approach is by turns committed, self-questioning, and meditative. He also provides a look at the day-to-day job of being President, and writes with a keen concentration on detail, episode, and dialogue. It’s this unique point of view, a particularly writerly President writing about the Presidency, that makes this excerpt so valuable.

The Presidential memoir is ordinarily a literary meal somewhat less delicious than library paste. Former inhabitants of the Oval Office generally leave that quiet, intimidating room prematurely aged, worn out, and defensive. The bone-weary ex is in no mood for self-doubt or hard thinking. The book might begin with enticing tales of early days—the tall tales of youth and years of becoming—but once we cross the threshold of the White House, the story becomes guarded, bland, a desk diary: “And then we met the Sultan of Brunei . . .” 

Sometimes, the author’s disengagement from the book project can be crippling. Reviewing Ronald Reagan’s autobiography, “An American Life,” Hendrik Hertzberg came to suspect that the putative author, buoyed by a “thoroughly professional team” of about two dozen literary helpers, did not likely read his own book, much less write it. O.K., maybe that’s not fair, Hertzberg conceded. Because Reagan did produce an abridged audio edition—reading, by Hertzberg’s reckoning, thirty-two thousand words of the two-hundred-and-sixty-thousand-word text—Hertzberg kindly allowed that the former President had read “at least 12 percent of his book. Trust, but verify.” 

Countless critics, including Matthew Arnold, Gertrude Stein, and Edmund Wilson, praised Ulysses S. Grant’s memoir as outstanding among those of all ex-Presidents. Grant poured his last energies into that remarkable book. Ailing with throat cancer, Grant wrote at a rate of up to fifty pages a day; he died just five days after finishing. But his book, which was published by Mark Twain, did not cover his White House years; its main episodes were on the battlefields of the Mexican-American War and the Civil War. The clarity and intimacy of his prose, exemplified by his account of Lee’s surrender at Appomattox Court House, set a high mark. 

Obama, of course, has already written about his early struggles with identity and his coming of age, in “Dreams from My Father.” His new book, which will be published by Crown, on November 17th, gets to the work of the Presidency quite quickly. As you will see in The New Yorker’s excerpt, he is neither gossipy nor vindictive; there are few bite-sized “takeaways.” Instead, Obama is insistently Obamian: serious, poised, wry, unabashedly proud of the advances he was able to make despite a Republican leadership that was hellbent on thwarting his Presidency from the very first. 

The writing did not come easily. In the summer of 2019, I met with President Obama and he made it plain that the book was proving far more stubborn than he had hoped. Like many authors, he was not without help in research and fact checking, but he wrote the book himself, by hand, on yellow legal pads. Despite the familiar frustrations, the manuscript grew. At a certain point, Obama decided that, unless his publisher was willing to wait a few more years and publish a binding-busting tome, he’d be better off dividing the memoir into two volumes. “A Promised Land” ends with the rise of birtherism and Donald Trump and the killing of Osama bin Laden. (The second volume will come when it comes.) 

We’re pleased to publish President Obama’s account of the A.C.A. in this year’s Power Issue, which also features Hua Hsu on the Asian-American vote, Nicholas Lemann on the future of the Republican Party, Luke Mogelson on Antifa and the radical right, fiction by Curtis Sittenfeld, and a great deal more. We thank you for being a subscriber and hope you enjoy it all. And, yes, please don’t forget to vote. 

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©