Your Favourite Australian Albums + Recommendations

Comments

• No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Tired Lion, gee they've gotten bigger since I first heard their songs on Soundcloud years ago.
    Yeah, and deservedly so. Catchy indy rock songs with a great band and singer. I saw them support British India about 2 years ago and had not heard more than 1 song of theirs. Left that gig and got all their available music and have followed them closely since. Hopefully they keep touring regularly, as I will definitely be going to see them again.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    No Coder said:
    Tired Lion, gee they've gotten bigger since I first heard their songs on Soundcloud years ago.
    Yeah, and deservedly so. Catchy indy rock songs with a great band and singer. I saw them support British India about 2 years ago and had not heard more than 1 song of theirs. Left that gig and got all their available music and have followed them closely since. Hopefully they keep touring regularly, as I will definitely be going to see them again.
    Might have to give them a go. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I have been listening to the new Matt Corby album, Rainbow Valley, recently. Very solid album.

Also have the Gang of Youths Unplugged album in high rotation and the new Meg Mac single and also Tired Lions new single.

edited November 2018
    Also saw The Teskey Bros live earlier this year (did a killer cover of War Pigs). They are one of the great live bands in Oz currently. Below is a live clip they uploaded a week ago. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBAs3TGIz7M

• pljampljam Posts: 387
    John Butler Trio new album HOME just made the list 
    Awesome album
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    The Living End Wunderbah, the title says it all
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Middle Kids , they don't have a bad song go ahead try to point one out ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Impossible to do mate, they have a knack for writing great melodic songs

No Coder said:
    Impossible to do mate, they have a knack for writing great melodic songs
    They really do ! I have all their released material and every song is a pleasure to listen too ...
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,842
    For those who love live albums...Midnight Oil have recently released a live set from the final show of their recent world tour ‘Armistice Day’ . A really great set! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    For those who love live albums...Midnight Oil have recently released a live set from the final show of their recent world tour ‘Armistice Day’ . A really great set! 
    Yeah I need to order it did you get it ? 
    That is a great live album! Can’t believe how good they sound live after all those years away from it. 

No Coder said:
    That is a great live album! Can’t believe how good they sound live after all those years away from it. 
    I was stunned at how really good they were at the show i attended here in NY totally blew my mind ...
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever.
    Yeah I need to order it did you get it ? 
    Yeah I picked it up after Christmas. Took it on a road trip but was hard to listen to with a little one in the car. Certainly looking forward to cranking it up. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    edited January 2019
    Thinking of seeing You Am I and jebediah here in Melbourne in a fortnight at the Matthew Flinders Hotel. Any Aussies from Melb checking out the gig!? 
    If you are come and say hi, I’ll be there with a PJ shirt on. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    Just a couple of sleeps until You Am I and Jebediah at the Matthew Flinders Hotel. Looking forward to it. Been spinning Hi Fi Way a fair bit this week!! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    edited January 2019
    Just a couple of sleeps until You Am I and Jebediah at the Matthew Flinders Hotel. Looking forward to it. Been spinning Hi Fi Way a fair bit this week!! 
    That'll be a great show, enjoy :smiley:
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Lately I've been getting into E^ST.  I just recently discovered her Like A Version mashup of Bitter Sweet Symphony (The Verve) and Teardrop (Massive Attack) and started diving into her stuff.  She has a few EP's but no full albums yet, though she recently signed with the same label that Paramore, All Time Low, & Twenty One Pilots are on.  Great voice, witty lyrics, hoping she'll have a breakout soon.
    Saw the You Am I gig last week! What a great rock n roll show, wow! Was it loud! Had my ears ringing for a couple of days after the show. Great set full of their classics. So glad I saw them. Will certainly see them again. Need to get out and buy some their stuff I don’t have yet. 
    A great starting point for those interested are Hi Fi Way, Hourly Daily and No. 4 Record. Albums 2-4. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    Saw the You Am I gig last week! What a great rock n roll show, wow! Was it loud! Had my ears ringing for a couple of days after the show. Great set full of their classics. So glad I saw them. Will certainly see them again. Need to get out and buy some their stuff I don’t have yet. 
    A great starting point for those interested are Hi Fi Way, Hourly Daily and No. 4 Record. Albums 2-4. 

You am I are certainly one of the GREAT Oz bands of the last 20 or so years. Hourly Daily is in my Top 10 albums of All Time, just pure brilliance. I haven't seen them live for a while now, but must get around to catching them again, as they are fantastic. 

I don't think they get anywhere near the recognition that they deserve as a true Rock n Roll band that has been doing what they do at a very high standard for such a long time.

No Coder said:

You am I are certainly one of the GREAT Oz bands of the last 20 or so years. Hourly Daily is in my Top 10 albums of All Time, just pure brilliance. I haven't seen them live for a while now, but must get around to catching them again, as they are fantastic. 

I don't think they get anywhere near the recognition that they deserve as a true Rock n Roll band that has been doing what they do at a very high standard for such a long time.
    Here here, I for one didn’t give them enough recognition for quite a while! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Just discovered these guys. Love their last two records! 

Powderfinger Odyssey #5 
    Jebediah - their 2nd LP
    Bernard Fanning’s Tea & Sympathy (a desert island LP for me)
    Hunters & Collectors Live Living Rooms double disc set
    INXS - any album. Just classic. 
    Paul Kelly’s collective works
    Silverchair - Diorama

www.cluthelee.com
    Just discovered these guys. Love their last two records! 

Powderfinger Odyssey #5 
    Jebediah - their 2nd LP
    Bernard Fanning’s Tea & Sympathy (a desert island LP for me)
    Hunters & Collectors Live Living Rooms double disc set
    INXS - any album. Just classic. 
    Paul Kelly’s collective works
    Silverchair - Diorama

How good is Tea & Symphony!! I remember just having that on constant repeat when that came out. Got it back out last year and back in heavy rotation after a bit of a break and it doesn't age at all

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    No Coder said:

I've been listening to Hourly Daily, #4 Record, and Dress Me Slowly in work this morning (Deliverance will be up next) - it's a You Am I day for sure!

Quick YAI story for you. I was lucky enough to be at a small unannounced Tim Rogers solo acoustic show in a Sydney bar about 6 or 7 years ago (I used to work there and the chef tipped me off!) It was in the back room and wasn't promoted at all, he was just there as a favour to the owner. The room only held around 100-120 people max so it was a really intimate show.

You could tell right away that something wasn't right. Tim was very quiet between songs - the banter was still there, but without the usual "Tim Fuckin' Rogers" swagger. It turns out his daughter had moved overseas with her mother that afternoon and he was really struggling to come to terms with it. At one point he started to sing 'Dinosaurs' (which is about her) and he just couldn't get through it. It's the only time I've seen people in the audience crying at a show, it was just so emotional. He still played a pretty long set, I think he needed to let it out and I'd like to think the crowd helped in some small way. He stayed in the bar later and had a few drinks with us. For all the 'rock star' persona that he throws around on stage, he's a really nice guy to chat to.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • There's been some good bands listed already.

At the risk of redundancy, back in the early 80s... we used to listen to Angel City a bunch. In particular, the album Face to Face. It was great. If any of it comes on randomly... I'll turn up the volume.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    goldrush said:
    No Coder said:

I've been listening to Hourly Daily, #4 Record, and Dress Me Slowly in work this morning (Deliverance will be up next) - it's a You Am I day for sure!

Quick YAI story for you. I was lucky enough to be at a small unannounced Tim Rogers solo acoustic show in a Sydney bar about 6 or 7 years ago (I used to work there and the chef tipped me off!) It was in the back room and wasn't promoted at all, he was just there as a favour to the owner. The room only held around 100-120 people max so it was a really intimate show.

You could tell right away that something wasn't right. Tim was very quiet between songs - the banter was still there, but without the usual "Tim Fuckin' Rogers" swagger. It turns out his daughter had moved overseas with her mother that afternoon and he was really struggling to come to terms with it. At one point he started to sing 'Dinosaurs' (which is about her) and he just couldn't get through it. It's the only time I've seen people in the audience crying at a show, it was just so emotional. He still played a pretty long set, I think he needed to let it out and I'd like to think the crowd helped in some small way. He stayed in the bar later and had a few drinks with us. For all the 'rock star' persona that he throws around on stage, he's a really nice guy to chat to.
    What a great story!! How lucky to have been in that audience. Seeing him laid bare with all his emotions, sad to see, but also would have been riveting. He definitely would have found some solace in performing that night

There's been some good bands listed already.

At the risk of redundancy, back in the early 80s... we used to listen to Angel City a bunch. In particular, the album Face to Face. It was great. If any of it comes on randomly... I'll turn up the volume.
    In Australia, Angel City was just The Angels and were one of our all time great rock bands. They were still touring with Doc not long before his death in 2014.  Face to Face was a great album. If you're looking to revisit them, check out their Liveline album. It's a double live album and one of the best live releases you'll hear

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    If you like garage punk, check out The Chats.  For whatever reason their song “Smoko” has like 5 million views on YouTube.