Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    This is long but a good read....I've read a bunch but then skimmed, will have to go back later.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/magazine/the-democrats-have-an-immigration-problem.html

hippiemom = goodness
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    As long as I can remember immigration has been a hot topic in US politics.  I can not see how you will ever solve your immigration problems as long as all the southern countries below you remain poor.  Maybe it would be better if we could somehow start to work with the governments of these countries to lift them out of poverty.  Of course, this is not in the best interest of corporate America.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    As long as I can remember immigration has been a hot topic in US politics.  I can not see how you will ever solve your immigration problems as long as all the southern countries below you remain poor.  Maybe it would be better if we could somehow start to work with the governments of these countries to lift them out of poverty.  Of course, this is not in the best interest of corporate America.
    Even some moderate Republicans have advocated what's known as the "Marshall Plan" for central America.  Attack the root of the reason why they want to migrate.  Help the third world develop.  NAFTA has done that with Mexico, but Central America has not seen a similar benefit I don't believe.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited January 2019
    Makes sense to me.  I've heard this idea from various sources for many years but not seen any movement that way.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4833557/trump-mexico-border-wall-write-a-cheque/?utm_source=GlobalToronto&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1hJEnAa_dg07YPNwUrY_CedZm4AsI_WMrnMuXEZ9ucLcUQaRmtjcYJs9Q

Man, he is dumb as dog shit, every news outlet in the world has footage of you saying it daily.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianlux said:
    Makes sense to me.  I've heard this idea from various sources for many years but not seen any movement that way.
    I brought this up a while back.  I considered the US "meddling" in south Americas affairs in order to bring them around but maybe it's just not possible.

Look at Haiti.  You can throw as much money as you want at that country and it's still corrupt.

A whole lot needs to change before they turn good.

brianlux said:
    I brought this up a while back.  I considered the US "meddling" in south Americas affairs in order to bring them around but maybe it's just not possible.

Look at Haiti.  You can throw as much money as you want at that country and it's still corrupt.

Agreed, got to get rid of corruption in those countries.  Not easily done, I can only image how much cartel money in Mexico is spent to bribe government officials.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yeah that’s a daunting task to bring Central America out of corruption..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Yeah that’s a daunting task to bring Central America out of corruption..
    You are correct.  It would be at least worth trying.  We can not bring every poor person from Mexico/CA/SA north?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    brianlux said:
    I would think that any other country would be extremely wary of this idea, considering how badly America has managed to fuck over so many countries, like in the Middle East. I bet a lot of people in Central and South America are terrified of the idea of America meddling in their affairs, no matter how bad shit already is there. They have NO reason to trust America to do anything other than enrich the rich and enable dictators, really. What America should do is let other nations evolve on their own. Stick to just helpful trade agreements (that won't happen under Trump, but later). You CANNOT force any other country out of corruption or or force actual democracy on them or anything like that. People need to find their own way as far as I can tell.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139

chinese-happy.jpg
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:
    Oh man that would truly be great I’d consider trying to attend , if only he could be there today performing it on the Mexico side ..

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    The evidence before the court is
    Incontrovertible, there's no need for
    The jury to retire
    In all my years of judging
    I have never heard before
    Of someone more deserving
    Of the full penalty of law
    The way you made them suffer
    Your exquisite wife and mother
    Fills me with the urge to defecate
    Since, my friend, you have revealed your
    Deepest fear
    I sentence you to be exposed before
    Your peers
    Tear down the wall
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:
    The evidence before the court is
    Incontrovertible, there's no need for
    The jury to retire
    In all my years of judging
    I have never heard before
    Of someone more deserving
    Of the full penalty of law
    The way you made them suffer
    Your exquisite wife and mother
    Fills me with the urge to defecate

Since, my friend, you have revealed your
    Deepest fear
    I sentence you to be exposed before
    Your peers
    Tear down the wall
    Fitting! Tear down the wall!

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020

• I was wondering what this was until I finally saw the story.

So this is what the proposed border wall will be made of.  They said they cut through it with a saw.

It looks to me like a torch did it but a saw could definitely cut through this too.

• I was wondering what this was until I finally saw the story.

So this is what the proposed border wall will be made of.  They said they cut through it with a saw.

It looks to me like a torch did it but a saw could definitely cut through this too.
    The story.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/test-steel-prototype-border-wall-showed-it-could-be-sawed-n956856
    brianlux said:

I honestly don't know what it would take to make it work.  Edward Abbey once suggested giving every immigrant from south of the border a can of beans and a rifle and send them home.   I think he was talking metaphorically but those words cost him a lot of grief.  But I'm just not sure the umpteenth revolution is going to make a difference.  I think it has to be education, (including teaching birth control)  and having organizations that assist in countries developing their own agriculture in order to move toward self-sufficiency. 

And sharing cultures.  That's a great way to help end the hate.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I was wondering what this was until I finally saw the story.

The story.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/test-steel-prototype-border-wall-showed-it-could-be-sawed-n956856
    These need to be cut low enough to allow animal migration.  Let's please not forget that one of the other horrors of the Fucking Wall is the disruption of animal migration.

brianlux said:

Haiti is still corrupt because people keep throwing money at it.  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    January 2017 - GOP majority
    January 2017 Wall not an emergency
    February 2017 Wall not an emergency
    March 2017 Wall not an emergency
    April 2017 Wall not an emergency
    May 2017 Wall not an emergency
    June 2017 Wall not an emergency
    July 2017 Wall not an emergency
    August 2017 Wall not an emergency
    September 2017 Wall not an emergency
    October 2017 Wall not an emergency
    November 2017 Wall not an emergency
    December 2017 Wall not an emergency
    January 2018 Wall not an emergency
    February 2018 Wall not an emergency
    March 2018 Wall not an emergency
    April 2018 Wall not an emergency
    May 2018 Wall not an emergency
    June 2018 Wall not an emergency
    July 2018 Wall not an emergency
    August 2018 Wall not an emergency
    September 2018 Wall not an emergency
    October 2018 Wall not an emergency
    November 2018 Wall not an emergency
    November 2018 Democratic majority elected in House
    January 2019 EMERGENCY
    Some “emergency:”

chinese-happy.jpg
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Some “emergency:”

That is just dumb.  what a stupid tweet.
    hippiemom = goodness

chinese-happy.jpg
    11 more reasons what The Fucking Wall is a bad idea:

The carbon emissions from constructing Trump's proposed 1,000 miles of new border wall could top 7.8 million metric tons, according to MIT Technology Review.

But if animals couldn't travel back and forth between habitats and resources on either side of the border, many species would face local extinction in the US.

The Stanford analysis showed that 346 species would lose access to half of their habitat because of a border wall.

Animal migration patterns — even those of birds — would be disrupted.

A wall would also make it harder for many animal species to adapt to climate change.

One of the greatest potential environmental impacts of a border wall would be almost invisible at first: it would lead species to become less resilient to stress.

Conservationists are particularly concerned about the future of the Mexican gray wolf.

A border wall would also change the flow of major rivers.

Depending on where and how a wall were erected — in the middle of a river, say — it could even act like a dam.

One example of such flooding was a 2008 disaster that happened along the US-Mexico border in Nogales, Arizona.

The border wall could have other impacts as well, like imperiling water-sharing agreements.

• This topic has come up before. The US is not squeaky clean protecting young girls from drooling, perverted older men.

This (from your link) is horrific: Amin, now 29, said she was betrothed to her first cousin Tariq when she was just 8 and he was 21. Pretty f**king sick to view girls as items for trade or pawns for assisting men with their immigration objectives? If not useful to men... then nothing but burdens? 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

Now we just need a wall that can prevent those empty cars from coming.

This topic has come up before. The US is not squeaky clean protecting young girls from drooling, perverted older men.

This (from your link) is horrific: Amin, now 29, said she was betrothed to her first cousin Tariq when she was just 8 and he was 21. Pretty f**king sick to view girls as items for trade or pawns for assisting men with their immigration objectives? If not useful to men... then nothing but burdens? 
    Disgusting to me.  Would be surprised if Canada does as well.
    Give Peas A Chance…