Where does Pearl Jam go from here?

Comments

• davidosdavidos Posts: 466
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a PJ resurgence in 2019... Seems like they have done just enough touring to make it hassle free and easy for everyone in the band... (mostly predictable set lists, short tours). After watching the Springsteen on Broadway recently (and never having been a fan of his) I really came to appreciate his work ethic and life's work...

Not sure what the plan is for PJ... they are certainly no Phish as far as touring and a love for making music.

Why PJ doesn't do webcasts, guitar magazine interviews, Christmas singles, etc. is not clear and disheartening. 

Matt seems to be busy-ish and enjoys making music.
    Ed does his occasional solo stuff and corporate gigs
    Mike seems like he is constantly making music with a lot of different people
    Jeff had the RNDM thing a few years ago but not much else publicly involving music.
    Stone ? I know Stone made a point of saying that he still wants to make records during his RRHoF speach... but again, ?

Not sure if they don't like each other, sick of being PJ, uninspired, raising families, not physically 100%, etc. but I hope they can put it together because I have loved everything they've done for (gulp) half my life and I miss them. Sorry for wanting more but one can only hope.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    RS65573 said:
    He gives his best Chris Cornell. To me this is totally a Chris scream.
    I wish.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    PJ_Soul said:
    RS65573 said:
    He gives his best Chris Cornell. To me this is totally a Chris scream.
    I wish.
    Same here.  Besides, at some point, Ed should stop screaming.  It just doesn't work any more.  Ed can do better than that.  Way better.  (And none of this is in any way meant to be a slam on Chris Cornell.  He was a great singer in his own right.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• i think pearl jam needs to look at what phish is doing, staying fresh, changing venues from time to time, trying new things, create new music, etc.  these 2 bands are very similar in certain aspects and i think phish is still innovative and i think PJ can do the same
    Nailed it. If they could just do 33% of what Phish has done the past two years. Both bands are the same age and Phish is hungry as ever. PJ is on cruise control at best. 
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    edited January 2019
    brianlux said:
    i think I will answer this thread, since there are a billion out there right now. Even though this is about "what next?" it is inspired about de discontinuing of the annual singles. Lots of speculation. Reminds me when Parting Ways was released. I hear things about an "half retired" band, formulaic concerts etc. Maybe it is time for some self-reflection. Here are my two cents:

a) The the discontiniung of the annual single may not be an end of an area or anything melodramatic like that. It could be more mundane and economical. The pressing of the CD single may simply to expensive. And since they run everything themselves, the cost may not equate the income. So I see it more as an economical decision than "a slow retirement".  They will probably come with an alternative. And taking matters in our hand may not be a bad idea.

b) The concert becoming formulas. I did notice a chance in the 2018 concerts. Keep in mind: Ed was not in the best of health. But what could have enhance the feelings were the sets. Each first set seemed to end with Porch (not all but most). Most last encores started with Alive, a cover and end song (Yb or Indifference). This may have caused the feelings of formulas. Personally I would like to see more strange curveballs. Unexpected things. Aye Davinata for example, or Faithfull, Who Are you and more of Binaural songs. (Sleight of Handis a masterpiece, together with Light Years, Gievance (more urgent know thanthen - this was (together with Yield) Eddie's best lyrical time. But please remove Alive from the first slot of the first encore. It is a good song, but skip a few concerts. That goes for all the Ten leaning songs. There are so many gems that could fill the slots (the aforementioned Fainthfull, Light Years, Grievance, Of the Girl, Parting Ways, Getaway. Pendulum (doest have an opener), Got Some, Amongst the Waves, Force of Nature, Tremor Christ, Satan's Bed, Habit, Red Mosquito, Untitled/MFC,  Breakerfall, God's Dice, Nothing as It Seems, Insignificance (also quite urgent these days,),Ghost (for Dimitri), Other Side, Leatherman, Hitchhiker, Fatal, Alone, Brother (instrumental), Gimme No Lip, I'm O[pen (full spoken word), 1/2 Full, Love Boat Captain and many more.Strangest Things would be amazing. Or some covers: like Timeless Melody, Don't be Shy etc,. Or some b-sides of songs that ended up the cutting room floor - like the Earth Song; the guitar solo is shredding it. (I will bump my Stray Cats post.) Or give us
    a an unsuspected Jam, What I am trying to say is do not make Alive the next piss break after Even Flow. Put is somewhere else in
     the Setist.

c) The albums.There is a trend in this forum and I been here a few decades: that is the last two albums always gets burned. I remember when RA came out, it was burned together with Binaural, When St came out, it was burned with RA. When Backspacer came out t was burned St. When LB came out is was burned with BS. Etc, This is a returning them. So I have reaistic hopes with the new album: especially when they stated it going be more like Pendulum and Infallible. So lets be patient. Personally I hope for an experimental album, with some fillers, with a   surprise song. More importantly disconnected - as a metaphor / symbolism of the state of the world is now. I have the feeling they are still finding an artistic format, and that is ok. I hope they go out an limp and surprises us with a more theme-liked album.

Just my two cents.
    Some interesting observations here.

A serious question- and I don't mean to be poking fun- is English a second language for you?  I'm asking because it takes a bit of work to decipher your writing. I have a German friend- a really good friend- who writes like much the way you do.
    Second language and that I typed too fast (and on a phone) didnt help. Too tired to correct. And frankly too much work.
    Post edited by fortyshades on
    brianlux said:
    i think I will answer this thread, since there are a billion out there right now. Even though this is about "what next?" it is inspired about de discontinuing of the annual singles. Lots of speculation. Reminds me when Parting Ways was released. I hear things about an "half retired" band, formulaic concerts etc. Maybe it is time for some self-reflection. Here are my two cents:

a) The the discontiniung of the annual single may not be an end of an area or anything melodramatic like that. It could be more mundane and economical. The pressing of the CD single may simply to expensive. And since they run everything themselves, the cost may not equate the income. So I see it more as an economical decision than "a slow retirement".  They will probably come with an alternative. And taking matters in our hand may not be a bad idea.

b) The concert becoming formulas. I did notice a chance in the 2018 concerts. Keep in mind: Ed was not in the best of health. But what could have enhance the feelings were the sets. Each first set seemed to end with Porch (not all but most). Most last encores started with Alive, a cover and end song (Yb or Indifference). This may have caused the feelings of formulas. Personally I would like to see more strange curveballs. Unexpected things. Aye Davinata for example, or Faithfull, Who Are you and more of Binaural songs. (Sleight of Handis a masterpiece, together with Light Years, Gievance (more urgent know thanthen - this was (together with Yield) Eddie's best lyrical time. But please remove Alive from the first slot of the first encore. It is a good song, but skip a few concerts. That goes for all the Ten leaning songs. There are so many gems that could fill the slots (the aforementioned Fainthfull, Light Years, Grievance, Of the Girl, Parting Ways, Getaway. Pendulum (doest have an opener), Got Some, Amongst the Waves, Force of Nature, Tremor Christ, Satan's Bed, Habit, Red Mosquito, Untitled/MFC,  Breakerfall, God's Dice, Nothing as It Seems, Insignificance (also quite urgent these days,),Ghost (for Dimitri), Other Side, Leatherman, Hitchhiker, Fatal, Alone, Brother (instrumental), Gimme No Lip, I'm O[pen (full spoken word), 1/2 Full, Love Boat Captain and many more.Strangest Things would be amazing. Or some covers: like Timeless Melody, Don't be Shy etc,. Or some b-sides of songs that ended up the cutting room floor - like the Earth Song; the guitar solo is shredding it. (I will bump my Stray Cats post.) Or give us
    a an unsuspected Jam, What I am trying to say is do not make Alive the next piss break after Even Flow. Put is somewhere else in
     the Setist.

c) The albums.There is a trend in this forum and I been here a few decades: that is the last two albums always gets burned. I remember when RA came out, it was burned together with Binaural, When St came out, it was burned with RA. When Backspacer came out t was burned St. When LB came out is was burned with BS. Etc, This is a returning them. So I have reaistic hopes with the new album: especially when they stated it going be more like Pendulum and Infallible. So lets be patient. Personally I hope for an experimental album, with some fillers, with a   surprise song. More importantly disconnected - as a metaphor / symbolism of the state of the world is now. I have the feeling they are still finding an artistic format, and that is ok. I hope they go out an limp and surprises us with a more theme-liked album.

Just my two cents.

A serious question- and I don't mean to be poking fun- is English a second language for you?  I'm asking because it takes a bit of work to decipher your writing. I have a German friend- a really good friend- who writes like much the way you do.
    Second language and that I typed too fas didnt help. Too tired to correct. And frankly too much work.
    No worries.  It would be for me as well.  I meant no offense, just curious. 
    Cheers!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited January 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

the Setist.

Just my two cents.

Second language and that I typed too fas didnt help. Too tired to correct. And frankly too much work.
    No worries.  It would be for me as well.  I meant no offense, just curious. 
    Cheers!
    No offence taken ;-). Not that sensitive. I hope I didnt butcher my message though , for I had some valid points  I think at least. That all said, I am Dutch. (Sounds like Deutch, but major difference. In Germany you say "Ich spreche Deutch", in Dutch you say "Ik spreek Nederlands".) Some Dutch people are very sensitive by being compared to a German. Still due to the Second World War. (Dont worry, I am not like that.) Actually wrote an English book. (I write for a living.) It took some editorial rounds, hahaha. Let me find the link. Here it is. No worries dont get royalty's: https://www.palgrave.com/de/book/9783319692593
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:

the Setist.

Just my two cents.

Second language and that I typed too fast (and on a phone) didnt help. Too tired to correct. And frankly too much work.
    In all fairness, English is my only language and yours came out better than when I type on a phone.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    If they could kindly reduce the cost of the vaults to like $35 and push out maybe 2 or 3 per year instead? That is where I would like to see them go. 

How long is this pre-sale lasting anyways? 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2019
    If they could kindly reduce the cost of the vaults to like $35 and push out maybe 2 or 3 per year instead? That is where I would like to see them go. 

This vault STILL be labeled as a pre-sale.... 

It really baffles me.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    i would like them stop releasing live recordings for a while.  i'm sick of it.  can watch the shit on youtube.  sorry for the negative rant.  
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    vaggar99 said:
    i would like them stop releasing live recordings for a while.  i'm sick of it.  can watch the shit on youtube.  sorry for the negative rant.  
    However, people often pair the official bootleg with the fan-made video(s) which enhances the whole YouTube experience.

Re. The live releases, I will admit I've lost a bit of interest in having every show but that's me and where I'm at as a fan. In terms of the vault, just get the digital files going (let's not harp on vinyl too much) so everyone can enjoy sooner than later.
  • ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186
    Zod said:
    The other thing was PJ tours weren't big to begin with.  '98 was 3 legs and 80ish dates.  '00 was similar.  Aside from the early period before the hit brakes and took control of their own destiny, they never did big tours like the Stones one being mention.  Therefore them pulling back is on a different bar because they didn't start out that high.

That being said I think the Stones have only played Vancouver 3 times in the last 30 years.   Did they take loads of years off between their mega tours?   I missed Steel Wheels because I was a kid and had no money.   I missed the 90's show.. well I'm not sure why.  I missed the 00's show because I had moved to Edmonton.    This year I'm going to finally see them play :)  Still it doesn't seem like they're an easy band to go see.
    Where are you going to see them? I'm flying to Seattle from Edmonton and can't wait!
    2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186

the Setist.

Just my two cents.
    more like pendulum and infallible, I'm interested in that! do you have a quote?
    2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    MedozK said:

This vault STILL be labeled as a pre-sale.... 

It really baffles me.
    Least interesting vault by a mile, which is why it's probably still a presale. So much to choose from and we get another standard show from a year with several far superior shows already available on CD. I mean really, there were hundreds of posts about what people wanted to see in the next vault, none of which mentioned that show or year. Sigh.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    A few people have mentioned merchandise.  To me Pearl Jam is not to blame for the merchandise, the fans are 100% the reason so much merchandise is created.   We buy the shit out of it.  Instead of walking around a gorgeous city, spend time with your better half or even sit in a bar and drink local beer, we some how justify how it is ok to line up for hours to buy merch.  I remember laughing to myself with reports of "it only took an hour to get through the merch line."   We the fans are 100% responsible for the continued creation of all types of merch.  
    The increase in merch is also what got me thinking that they hired a company to run the club and develop more merch.  I also think that PJ probably makes more money off merch than ticket sales. 

As for the comparison to the Dead, the PJ business model is similar, they mix up the set lists like the dead, and the fans share a bond that is similar to the deadheads without the smell. Other than that there really are not a lot of similarities.  Although I have said on many occasions that Eddie Vedder replaced Jerry Garcia in my life. Sad but true :)

How they mix up songs is similar but their business models could not be any more different. Over the last 4 years, PJ has played 62 shows, averaging 16 a year, while the Dead played 269, averaging 67 shows a year. Considering Jerry's health, perhaps this was way too many, but in between these two bands is a happy medium.

IIRC, The Dead did not limit access to their prime seating to a select few fans. These 2 business decisions both drive up ticket prices for fans without access to premium seats. The Dead did everything they could to provide reasonable access to interact with their fans. 
    Comparing the Dead's last 4 years of touring, 1992-1995 to the years 2015-2018 is not even fruit to fruit, it is comparing a planet to a moon.  So much has radically changed in the music/entertainment business.  The internet was in total infancy.

What drives ticket prices is not fanclub seating, what drives ticket prices is that people will pay a premium on the secondary market for perceived premium seating.  The only thing that can alleviate that somewhat is playing  a lot more shows and having venues to choose from that would provide greater access to fans.  The latter will not happen anytime soon due to Ticketmasters stranglehold on the concert industry.
    I'm guessing population has changed ticket prices as well.  Years ago, I had no problem getting tickets to see The Who (second row  theater seating), Jimi Hendrix (G.A., floor, up close), Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, etc., etc.  In those days, if you wanted to go to a show, you just got tickets and went (and even with adjusting for inflation, tickets were way cheaper).  Today you have to jump fast or be in a lottery and then spend a full days wages or more for a chance to see a big name band. 

I'd attribute ticket price increase to the generation that refuses to buy albums. Bands have to make up that revenue somehow. Yes streaming has started to make up some of the lost revenue, but royalties have been very low and in many cases royalties never find their way to the artists.

I can usually get decent tickets to any show, usually for a decent price. Sometimes I'll pay a few hundered, but the only time I see outrageous prices ($1000+ for fenway field B??)...is when Pearl Jam is touring. 

Yes they are very popular but they also limit supply to the general concert public. I'd compare PJ to U2, where you could usually find a decent ticket. Maybe a few hundred for an above ave seat, but at least its a chance and you know what you're buying when you pay the cash.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Hey @RYME. Sorry I just saw this, didn’t mean to leave you hanging.  There’s some really amazing stuff- jazz really depends on what you’re into in terms of finding what you like to hear.

The London scene has most of my favorites lately though.  Bandcamp has a lot of the vinyl and digital music.  Here’s a few you should at least look up and give a listen to:

Maisha- There is a place
    -band leader is a drummer.  Nubya Garcia makes an appearance on sax and flute.  And she’s amazing.  On many a jazzhead’s list of top 5 albums of the year. 

Ill Considered -  they are probably my favorite.  Dark, bass driven jazz who mostly perform all improv and it’s recorded live and then pressed straight to vinyl.  Their stuff will bring you down the rabbit hole though, their vinyl especially first presses are expensive these days.  Give them a listen, start with their oldest stuff from a few years ago first.

Nubya Garcia- Nubya’s 5ive
    -shes a sax player so it takes a little time to get into it, at least for me, but it’s very interesting throughout.

As far as the US goes, Makaya McCraven in Chicago is fantastic.  Drummer.  Does a lot of mixing artists and genres in his recording, from hip hop to rock, he’s all over the place but if you’re into experimentation, he’s it.

Snarky Puppy- stupid name, but they’re cool.  40 person group in Brooklyn originally from Texas I think? who are outstanding.  Check out Culcha Vulcha- a jazz fusion funky upbeat album from 2016 that’s fantastic.

Kamasi Washington- he’s an LA based sax player who has worked with a lot of folks. Played on and produced with Kendrick Lamar and Dr Dre and George Clinton to name a few.  He’s everywhere but his box sets The Epic, Heaven & Earth, and EP Harmony of Difference are indeed epics.

If you’re into guitar forward stuff, then  check out  grant green- idle moments or Green Street are good albums. That’s a lot drier jazz though, old blue note stuff.

I recommend the above stuff, Ill Considered, Maisha and Snarky Puppy first, but checkout the most wallet-damaging thread on the web, if you dare: 

https://forum.vinylmeplease.com/index.php?threads/jazz-thread.891/page-153#post-685218

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    A few people have mentioned merchandise.  To me Pearl Jam is not to blame for the merchandise, the fans are 100% the reason so much merchandise is created.   We buy the shit out of it.  Instead of walking around a gorgeous city, spend time with your better half or even sit in a bar and drink local beer, we some how justify how it is ok to line up for hours to buy merch.  I remember laughing to myself with reports of "it only took an hour to get through the merch line."   We the fans are 100% responsible for the continued creation of all types of merch.  
    The increase in merch is also what got me thinking that they hired a company to run the club and develop more merch.  I also think that PJ probably makes more money off merch than ticket sales. 

As for the comparison to the Dead, the PJ business model is similar, they mix up the set lists like the dead, and the fans share a bond that is similar to the deadheads without the smell. Other than that there really are not a lot of similarities.  Although I have said on many occasions that Eddie Vedder replaced Jerry Garcia in my life. Sad but true :)

How they mix up songs is similar but their business models could not be any more different. Over the last 4 years, PJ has played 62 shows, averaging 16 a year, while the Dead played 269, averaging 67 shows a year. Considering Jerry's health, perhaps this was way too many, but in between these two bands is a happy medium.

IIRC, The Dead did not limit access to their prime seating to a select few fans. These 2 business decisions both drive up ticket prices for fans without access to premium seats. The Dead did everything they could to provide reasonable access to interact with their fans. 
    Comparing the Dead's last 4 years of touring, 1992-1995 to the years 2015-2018 is not even fruit to fruit, it is comparing a planet to a moon.  So much has radically changed in the music/entertainment business.  The internet was in total infancy.

What drives ticket prices is not fanclub seating, what drives ticket prices is that people will pay a premium on the secondary market for perceived premium seating.  The only thing that can alleviate that somewhat is playing  a lot more shows and having venues to choose from that would provide greater access to fans.  The latter will not happen anytime soon due to Ticketmasters stranglehold on the concert industry.
    I'm guessing population has changed ticket prices as well.  Years ago, I had no problem getting tickets to see The Who (second row  theater seating), Jimi Hendrix (G.A., floor, up close), Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, etc., etc.  In those days, if you wanted to go to a show, you just got tickets and went (and even with adjusting for inflation, tickets were way cheaper).  Today you have to jump fast or be in a lottery and then spend a full days wages or more for a chance to see a big name band. 

I'd attribute ticket price increase to the generation that refuses to buy albums. Bands have to make up that revenue somehow. Yes streaming has started to make up some of the lost revenue, but royalties have been very low and in many cases royalties never find their way to the artists.

I can usually get decent tickets to any show, usually for a decent price. Sometimes I'll pay a few hundered, but the only time I see outrageous prices ($1000+ for fenway field B??)...is when Pearl Jam is touring. 

Yes they are very popular but they also limit supply to the general concert public. I'd compare PJ to U2, where you could usually find a decent ticket. Maybe a few hundred for an above ave seat, but at least its a chance and you know what you're buying when you pay the cash.
    That's a very good point, Lerxst, one I hadn't thought of.  Yes, boomers were record buying fanatics- I still am- but I hadn't considered that with everything free on the internet that sales of records are down... except for those who experience a good vinyl LP or even a high quality CD or some mp3 piece of crap. 

I guess bands have to do whatever it takes to keep going.  But $1000+ to see PJ at Fenway?  Ouch!  I don't see how that can be justified.  I guess a lot has changed in recent years.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:

That's a very good point, Lerxst, one I hadn't thought of.  Yes, boomers were record buying fanatics- I still am- but I hadn't considered that with everything free on the internet that sales of records are down... except for those who experience a good vinyl LP or even a high quality CD or some mp3 piece of crap. 

I guess bands have to do whatever it takes to keep going.  But $1000+ to see PJ at Fenway?  Ouch!  I don't see how that can be justified.  I guess a lot has changed in recent years.
    I think that’s exactly what bands want you to think, they they are getting ripped off by the internet so in order to make money through music they need to charge through the roof for tickets. I saw AC/DC in 2000 and paid $23 for my ticket. I will probably never see them again because when they came to town a few years later it was about $100. And the timing of Napster and iTunes and digital media all worked out perfect for a story like that. But I don’t buy It. Artists have realized we’re willing to pay $200 a ticket and we’ve gotten use to that cost.
    Look at Taylor Swift. She’s been in the business like 12 years and is worth something like $300 million. So she doesn’t need to charge $200 for a bunch of pre-teen girls to go to her show. But they pay it so she charges it. I mean, she could charge $50 a ticket and probably still be worth $100 million.
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I think that’s exactly what bands want you to think, they they are getting ripped off by the internet so in order to make money through music they need to charge through the roof for tickets. I saw AC/DC in 2000 and paid $23 for my ticket. I will probably never see them again because when they came to town a few years later it was about $100. And the timing of Napster and iTunes and digital media all worked out perfect for a story like that. But I don’t buy It. Artists have realized we’re willing to pay $200 a ticket and we’ve gotten use to that cost.
    Look at Taylor Swift. She’s been in the business like 12 years and is worth something like $300 million. So she doesn’t need to charge $200 for a bunch of pre-teen girls to go to her show. But they pay it so she charges it. I mean, she could charge $50 a ticket and probably still be worth $100 million.
    Wow!  Too much for tickets!

I don't go to shows anymore due to my trashed hearing but if I did, instead of going whenever I felt like it,  it would have to be more like once every few years to a really, really favorite band.  Or go see local music (if you have good local music.  Ours is just so-so).

It seems like it's time for a major shake up in music... in more ways than one.

• PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    Where do they go from here? Probably to one of the bands like U2 that start charging $500 a ticket to their limited shows, further crushing their early legacy, but consistent with the changing times. Would anyone really be that surprised? The I Am the Highway ticket prices were an eye opener to where concert prices are trending in the future.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Where do they go from here? Probably to one of the bands like U2 that start charging $500 a ticket to their limited shows, further crushing their early legacy, but consistent with the changing times. Would anyone really be that surprised? The I Am the Highway ticket prices were an eye opener to where concert prices are trending in the future.
    Yes I would be surprised and do not see that happening. What signs are you seeing that make you think this is the future? I see ticket prices steadily creeping up especially after seeing the 2016 vs 2018 ballpark show prices but nowheres near what you are saying.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited January 2019

Where does Pearl Jam go from here?  That would be the question in 2007.  We know where Pearl Jam is going from here and it resembles the last 10 years.

They will not be breaking up.  Why would they walk away from what they've built?  Unless health is an issue, they'll keep doin what they are doing.  What they have is so extremely rare.  They'll keep showing up 20 times a year if we keep showing up 20 times a year.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    edited January 2019
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Don't forget Ebay.  The internet turned every Tom, Dick and Harry into an instant scalper.  The secondary market for tickets is the bigger reason for the increase in ticket prices.  They set the market price based on supply and demand. The artists want to capture that profit for themselves. The lack of record sales forces bands to tour more often to generate income and does contribute to the increases as well. As you noted, Paul McCartney, the Stones, U2, Neil Young, don't need the money, but charge very high prices because that is what the market will accept. 
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Take a cue from Phish, 35 years in and as fresh as ever. Stream live shows, tour limited but consistently, and actually maybe listen to the fanbase. No one is hoping for another alive>ritfw encore at this point. PJ is teetering on the edge of a nostalgia act but can be avoided with some easy course correction 
    edited January 2019
    Chadplam said:

the Setist.

Just my two cents.
    more like pendulum and infallible, I'm interested in that! do you have a quote?
    I think it was from an interview with Stone. Or Jeff.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    KN219077 said:
    Take a cue from Phish, 35 years in and as fresh as ever. Stream live shows, tour limited but consistently, and actually maybe listen to the fanbase. No one is hoping for another alive>ritfw encore at this point. PJ is teetering on the edge of a nostalgia act but can be avoided with some easy course correction 
    That drummer's grimy mumus ain't fresh though. He really needs to ditch that look, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    we've done this.  i've done this.  purchasing hundreds of bootlegs, dozens of concert tickets and release in multiple formats.  it continues to some degree.  
  • WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    I'll believe this album is happening when it see/hear it, at this point.
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Good God People.

I know I wrote a comment on maybe the second page but again why do all supposed "fans" shit on everything this band does. Guess what if they sell a shit ton of merch they will keep selling the merch. If people stop buying it guess what less merch , this is simply supply and demand.

Put out a new album or tour more. Get over it , I love that fans are saying "if I was in Pearl Jam I would do this" well your not in PJ , start your own band and you can do whatever you like if you take off with it.

If they don't want to tour , they don't want to tour. If they are touring and don't want too all you end up with is shows were they are just phoned in and the same setlist every night.

If they don't want to put out a new album well again their choice.

One of my favorite bands of all time is Jane's Addiction . They put out three amazing albums and called it a day ( I know they have gotten back together since 97 and have released I guess what I would think are not the best albums since ) but those three were all the world needed.

Just be happy they still play shows , that they are happy with the way the band is going for them. They could have hung it up a long time ago. They have been doing this for a long time and if they want to play 10 shows a year and chill at home while helping the communities around them and spend more time with their family more power too them.