Where does Pearl Jam go from here?

Comments

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    RYME said:
    Wma31394 said:
    Similarities to the Dead and Pearl Jam??? I dont see any really. Pearl jam had a chance to be the touring band of my generation..but they passed. Pj had a chance to allow their live music to be available for basically free..but they passed. Pj had a chance to fight the machines and keep ticket prices low, but they passed. They chose to cash in, I dont blame that for that. APPLES TO ORANGES PEOPLE.
    They've pritty much punted on all things that they claimed to be for and against back when they were  ridin' high and what made us love them in the first place.
    But they are no Grateful Dead nor do they resemble the Grateful Dead.  Although some of the're posters suggest that they would like to be like the Grateful Dead.
    https://goo.gl/images/DrgCDH
    &
    https://goo.gl/images/AUVz5u
    for example.

I brought up Willie the other day, (Waylon died at 64.  He would still be touring today if he could.)
    Look at his massive discography releasing sometimes two albums a year.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylon_Jennings_singles_discography
    Pearl Jam could've been in the same league as GD WJ WN Neil Young, The Who, so far they have chosen not to.
    Just because Willie Nelson releases records the way most people breath doesn't mean they are worth the effort of listening to.

In so far as they Grateful Dead homages, I am Dead fan, they are and have been a nostalgia merch machine since August 1995 when Jerry died.  

The Who released 11 studio albums and had a gap of 24 years between number 10 and 11.  

The bigger problem fans are having is coming to terms with the idea that they wish something different was happening.  

There are literally 100's of band out that are worth people's time and money.  Pearl Jam is not the only entity in the universe.  

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    PB11041 said:
    RYME said:
    Wma31394 said:
    Similarities to the Dead and Pearl Jam??? I dont see any really. Pearl jam had a chance to be the touring band of my generation..but they passed. Pj had a chance to allow their live music to be available for basically free..but they passed. Pj had a chance to fight the machines and keep ticket prices low, but they passed. They chose to cash in, I dont blame that for that. APPLES TO ORANGES PEOPLE.
    They've pritty much punted on all things that they claimed to be for and against back when they were  ridin' high and what made us love them in the first place.
    But they are no Grateful Dead nor do they resemble the Grateful Dead.  Although some of the're posters suggest that they would like to be like the Grateful Dead.
    https://goo.gl/images/DrgCDH
    &
    https://goo.gl/images/AUVz5u
    for example.

I brought up Willie the other day, (Waylon died at 64.  He would still be touring today if he could.)
    Look at his massive discography releasing sometimes two albums a year.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylon_Jennings_singles_discography
    Pearl Jam could've been in the same league as GD WJ WN Neil Young, The Who, so far they have chosen not to.
    Just because Willie Nelson releases records the way most people breath doesn't mean they are worth the effort of listening to.

In so far as they Grateful Dead homages, I am Dead fan, they are and have been a nostalgia merch machine since August 1995 when Jerry died.  

The Who released 11 studio albums and had a gap of 24 years between number 10 and 11.  

The bigger problem fans are having is coming to terms with the idea that they wish something different was happening.  

There are literally 100's of band out that are worth people's time and money.  Pearl Jam is not the only entity in the universe.  

True
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I personally have Pearl Jam’s last 8 years to thank for my interest and full on enjoyment now in the genre of jazz.

why? Not because of their music, but because their lack of interest in experimentation or “going outside of the box.”  The’ve mailed in the theatrics in their shows from the tambourines to swinging on lights to same stage setups for years now- even to the point of removing the romance of arenas and tours and just playing monstrous outdoor ballparks.

all of this made me want to listen to musicians who had the love, drive, and energy to live the music they created each moment they created it.  London is alive with jazz these last 5 years like grunger exploded in Seattle in the 90’s and I’m beyond excited to be enriched by it and to live through it.  Musicians are collaborating on each other’s projects, they’re experimenting with live improv put straight to vinyl, and they’re audibly ecstatic about it.

thanks PJ for pushing me into a completely new genre that’s alive and breathing, much like your 90’s shows were.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    I personally have Pearl Jam’s last 8 years to thank for my interest and full on enjoyment now in the genre of jazz.

why? Not because of their music, but because their lack of interest in experimentation or “going outside of the box.”  The’ve mailed in the theatrics in their shows from the tambourines to swinging on lights to same stage setups for years now- even to the point of removing the romance of arenas and tours and just playing monstrous outdoor ballparks.

all of this made me want to listen to musicians who had the love, drive, and energy to live the music they created each moment they created it.  London is alive with jazz these last 5 years like grunger exploded in Seattle in the 90’s and I’m beyond excited to be enriched by it and to live through it.  Musicians are collaborating on each other’s projects, they’re experimenting with live improv put straight to vinyl, and they’re audibly ecstatic about it.

thanks PJ for pushing me into a completely new genre that’s alive and breathing, much like your 90’s shows were.
    This is so cool to me.  It reminds me of my own experiences in the early 70's- a time in rock music that for me had reached a point of stagnation.  The creative forces of rock music in the mid sixties to around 1971 had fizzled and morphed into these bands playing endless noodlings and putting out songs with little meaning or interest beyond the mundane.  So I did exactly what you are talking about here- I turned to jazz and discovered a music that was rife with energy and enthusiasm, music that took the musicians and their listeners to new and interesting places.

I enjoyed reading your post here!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited January 2019
    brianlux said:

This is so cool to me.  It reminds me of my own experiences in the early 70's- a time in rock music that for me had reached a point of stagnation.  The creative forces of rock music in the mid sixties to around 1971 had fizzled and morphed into these bands playing endless noodlings and putting out songs with little meaning or interest beyond the mundane.  So I did exactly what you are talking about here- I turned to jazz and discovered a music that was rife with energy and enthusiasm, music that took the musicians and their listeners to new and interesting places.

I enjoyed reading your post here!
    Hey rolemodelsinblood31? I have a huge library of music lots of diversity, but I have never waded into the world of jazz.  I'd be interested in giving it a shot,  Where or what jazz group would you suggest a guy start? 
    What are your favorite jazz groups.  That's too broad.  Give me a few names to try out.  I'm always expanding what I listen to so this might be fun.
    Maybe start a jazz thread in Other Music category.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    A few people have mentioned merchandise.  To me Pearl Jam is not to blame for the merchandise, the fans are 100% the reason so much merchandise is created.   We buy the shit out of it.  Instead of walking around a gorgeous city, spend time with your better half or even sit in a bar and drink local beer, we some how justify how it is ok to line up for hours to buy merch.  I remember laughing to myself with reports of "it only took an hour to get through the merch line."   We the fans are 100% responsible for the continued creation of all types of merch.  
    The increase in merch is also what got me thinking that they hired a company to run the club and develop more merch.  I also think that PJ probably makes more money off merch than ticket sales. 

As for the comparison to the Dead, the PJ business model is similar, they mix up the set lists like the dead, and the fans share a bond that is similar to the deadheads without the smell. Other than that there really are not a lot of similarities.  Although I have said on many occasions that Eddie Vedder replaced Jerry Garcia in my life. Sad but true :)

How they mix up songs is similar but their business models could not be any more different. Over the last 4 years, PJ has played 62 shows, averaging 16 a year, while the Dead played 269, averaging 67 shows a year. Considering Jerry's health, perhaps this was way too many, but in between these two bands is a happy medium.

IIRC, The Dead did not limit access to their prime seating to a select few fans. These 2 business decisions both drive up ticket prices for fans without access to premium seats. The Dead did everything they could to provide reasonable access to interact with their fans. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    A few people have mentioned merchandise.  To me Pearl Jam is not to blame for the merchandise, the fans are 100% the reason so much merchandise is created.   We buy the shit out of it.  Instead of walking around a gorgeous city, spend time with your better half or even sit in a bar and drink local beer, we some how justify how it is ok to line up for hours to buy merch.  I remember laughing to myself with reports of "it only took an hour to get through the merch line."   We the fans are 100% responsible for the continued creation of all types of merch.  
    The increase in merch is also what got me thinking that they hired a company to run the club and develop more merch.  I also think that PJ probably makes more money off merch than ticket sales. 

As for the comparison to the Dead, the PJ business model is similar, they mix up the set lists like the dead, and the fans share a bond that is similar to the deadheads without the smell. Other than that there really are not a lot of similarities.  Although I have said on many occasions that Eddie Vedder replaced Jerry Garcia in my life. Sad but true :)

How they mix up songs is similar but their business models could not be any more different. Over the last 4 years, PJ has played 62 shows, averaging 16 a year, while the Dead played 269, averaging 67 shows a year. Considering Jerry's health, perhaps this was way too many, but in between these two bands is a happy medium.

IIRC, The Dead did not limit access to their prime seating to a select few fans. These 2 business decisions both drive up ticket prices for fans without access to premium seats. The Dead did everything they could to provide reasonable access to interact with their fans. 
    Comparing the Dead's last 4 years of touring, 1992-1995 to the years 2015-2018 is not even fruit to fruit, it is comparing a planet to a moon.  So much has radically changed in the music/entertainment business.  The internet was in total infancy.

What drives ticket prices is not fanclub seating, what drives ticket prices is that people will pay a premium on the secondary market for perceived premium seating.  The only thing that can alleviate that somewhat is playing  a lot more shows and having venues to choose from that would provide greater access to fans.  The latter will not happen anytime soon due to Ticketmasters stranglehold on the concert industry.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

PB11041 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Comparing the Dead's last 4 years of touring, 1992-1995 to the years 2015-2018 is not even fruit to fruit, it is comparing a planet to a moon.  So much has radically changed in the music/entertainment business.  The internet was in total infancy.

What drives ticket prices is not fanclub seating, what drives ticket prices is that people will pay a premium on the secondary market for perceived premium seating.  The only thing that can alleviate that somewhat is playing  a lot more shows and having venues to choose from that would provide greater access to fans.  The latter will not happen anytime soon due to Ticketmasters stranglehold on the concert industry.
    I'm guessing population has changed ticket prices as well.  Years ago, I had no problem getting tickets to see The Who (second row  theater seating), Jimi Hendrix (G.A., floor, up close), Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, etc., etc.  In those days, if you wanted to go to a show, you just got tickets and went (and even with adjusting for inflation, tickets were way cheaper).  Today you have to jump fast or be in a lottery and then spend a full days wages or more for a chance to see a big name band. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited January 2019
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm guessing population has changed ticket prices as well.  Years ago, I had no problem getting tickets to see The Who (second row  theater seating), Jimi Hendrix (G.A., floor, up close), Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, etc., etc.  In those days, if you wanted to go to a show, you just got tickets and went (and even with adjusting for inflation, tickets were way cheaper).  Today you have to jump fast or be in a lottery and then spend a full days wages or more for a chance to see a big name band. 
    Yeah Fleetwood Mac pricess were outrageous this time around. 5 to $600+ fees for the first 26 rows.  About 200+ fees for side views talking Arenas but still.  Those prices were not resell tickets those were face value livenation.com.  I wanted to go see Fleetwood Mac featuring Mike Campbell I didn't because I couldn't afford it.. it's just crap these days really.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Please let the new record have some charged up theme, or something to it that makes it feel like "damn, there really is a reason for the band for this album to exist" and not just a collection of songs. 

I hope the new album really hits hard, in some way.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    i think pearl jam needs to look at what phish is doing, staying fresh, changing venues from time to time, trying new things, create new music, etc.  these 2 bands are very similar in certain aspects and i think phish is still innovative and i think PJ can do the same
    When I think about the events that inspired so much great music- the war in Vietnam, war in the Middle East, G. W. Bush, etc., I'm a bit amazed that bands like Pearl Jam (and not just them, but yeah, them) aren't ripping out some incredible new stuff.  Maybe this time around, current events have just left the music world too stunned and too numb to create.  That's the only explanation I can come up with.

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    brianlux said:
    When I think about the events that inspired so much great music- the war in Vietnam, war in the Middle East, G. W. Bush, etc., I'm a bit amazed that bands like Pearl Jam (and not just them, but yeah, them) aren't ripping out some incredible new stuff.  Maybe this time around, current events have just left the music world too stunned and too numb to create.  That's the only explanation I can come up with.
    Explicitly and outwardly political PJ has not really been around for about 10 years. Trump's name wasn't even mentioned at my most recent shows (2016 and 2018). That would be unthinkable in a previous era of the band
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    NewJPage said:
    brianlux said:
    Explicitly and outwardly political PJ has not really been around for about 10 years. Trump's name wasn't even mentioned at my most recent shows (2016 and 2018). That would be unthinkable in a previous era of the band
    So true.  And yet I find that a bit odd.  But like Neil Young said, a musicians #1 job is to make music.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    One more album then they will call it a day ... Stop while there at the top . Gutted 
    I don't think they'll ever "call it a day." I.e. they'll never announce a break up or retirement. There is no reason for them to ever burn their bridges like that. Once they are done making albums, they'll simply stop touring, but will pop up at a show or festival here and there (basically as a nostalgia act) for as long as Eddie is physically able to pull it off. IMO.
    Are you really gutted BTW? You don't even know what their plans are. For all you know, they'll end up making more albums after the next one.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    these forums have been the most interesting thing going in the world PJ for several years now.  i hope they keep em round for a long time.
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    i think I will answer this thread, since there are a billion out there right now. Even though this is about "what next?" it is inspired about de discontinuing of the annual singles. Lots of speculation. Reminds me when Parting Ways was released. I hear things about an "half retired" band, formulaic concerts etc. Maybe it is time for some self-reflection. Here are my two cents:

a) The the discontiniung of the annual single may not be an end of an area or anything melodramatic like that. It could be more mundane and economical. The pressing of the CD single may simply to expensive. And since they run everything themselves, the cost may not equate the income. So I see it more as an economical decision than "a slow retirement".  They will probably come with an alternative. And taking matters in our hand may not be a bad idea.

b) The concert becoming formulas. I did notice a chance in the 2018 concerts. Keep in mind: Ed was not in the best of health. But what could have enhance the feelings were the sets. Each first set seemed to end with Porch (not all but most). Most last encores started with Alive, a cover and end song (Yb or Indifference). This may have caused the feelings of formulas. Personally I would like to see more strange curveballs. Unexpected things. Aye Davinata for example, or Faithfull, Who Are you and more of Binaural songs. (Sleight of Handis a masterpiece, together with Light Years, Gievance (more urgent know thanthen - this was (together with Yield) Eddie's best lyrical time. But please remove Alive from the first slot of the first encore. It is a good song, but skip a few concerts. That goes for all the Ten leaning songs. There are so many gems that could fill the slots (the aforementioned Fainthfull, Light Years, Grievance, Of the Girl, Parting Ways, Getaway. Pendulum (doest have an opener), Got Some, Amongst the Waves, Force of Nature, Tremor Christ, Satan's Bed, Habit, Red Mosquito, Untitled/MFC,  Breakerfall, God's Dice, Nothing as It Seems, Insignificance (also quite urgent these days,),Ghost (for Dimitri), Other Side, Leatherman, Hitchhiker, Fatal, Alone, Brother (instrumental), Gimme No Lip, I'm O[pen (full spoken word), 1/2 Full, Love Boat Captain and many more.Strangest Things would be amazing. Or some covers: like Timeless Melody, Don't be Shy etc,. Or some b-sides of songs that ended up the cutting room floor - like the Earth Song; the guitar solo is shredding it. (I will bump my Stray Cats post.) Or give us
    a an unsuspected Jam, What I am trying to say is do not make Alive the next piss break after Even Flow. Put is somewhere else in
     the Setist.

c) The albums.There is a trend in this forum and I been here a few decades: that is the last two albums always gets burned. I remember when RA came out, it was burned together with Binaural, When St came out, it was burned with RA. When Backspacer came out t was burned St. When LB came out is was burned with BS. Etc, This is a returning them. So I have reaistic hopes with the new album: especially when they stated it going be more like Pendulum and Infallible. So lets be patient. Personally I hope for an experimental album, with some fillers, with a   surprise song. More importantly disconnected - as a metaphor / symbolism of the state of the world is now. I have the feeling they are still finding an artistic format, and that is ok. I hope they go out an limp and surprises us with a more theme-liked album.

Just my two cents.
    i think I will answer this thread, since there are a billion out there right now. Even though this is about "what next?" it is inspired about de discontinuing of the annual singles. Lots of speculation. Reminds me when Parting Ways was released. I hear things about an "half retired" band, formulaic concerts etc. Maybe it is time for some self-reflection. Here are my two cents:

a) The the discontiniung of the annual single may not be an end of an area or anything melodramatic like that. It could be more mundane and economical. The pressing of the CD single may simply to expensive. And since they run everything themselves, the cost may not equate the income. So I see it more as an economical decision than "a slow retirement".  They will probably come with an alternative. And taking matters in our hand may not be a bad idea.

b) The concert becoming formulas. I did notice a chance in the 2018 concerts. Keep in mind: Ed was not in the best of health. But what could have enhance the feelings were the sets. Each first set seemed to end with Porch (not all but most). Most last encores started with Alive, a cover and end song (Yb or Indifference). This may have caused the feelings of formulas. Personally I would like to see more strange curveballs. Unexpected things. Aye Davinata for example, or Faithfull, Who Are you and more of Binaural songs. (Sleight of Handis a masterpiece, together with Light Years, Gievance (more urgent know thanthen - this was (together with Yield) Eddie's best lyrical time. But please remove Alive from the first slot of the first encore. It is a good song, but skip a few concerts. That goes for all the Ten leaning songs. There are so many gems that could fill the slots (the aforementioned Fainthfull, Light Years, Grievance, Of the Girl, Parting Ways, Getaway. Pendulum (doest have an opener), Got Some, Amongst the Waves, Force of Nature, Tremor Christ, Satan's Bed, Habit, Red Mosquito, Untitled/MFC,  Breakerfall, God's Dice, Nothing as It Seems, Insignificance (also quite urgent these days,),Ghost (for Dimitri), Other Side, Leatherman, Hitchhiker, Fatal, Alone, Brother (instrumental), Gimme No Lip, I'm O[pen (full spoken word), 1/2 Full, Love Boat Captain and many more.Strangest Things would be amazing. Or some covers: like Timeless Melody, Don't be Shy etc,. Or some b-sides of songs that ended up the cutting room floor - like the Earth Song; the guitar solo is shredding it. (I will bump my Stray Cats post.) Or give us
    a an unsuspected Jam, What I am trying to say is do not make Alive the next piss break after Even Flow. Put is somewhere else in
     the Setist.

c) The albums.There is a trend in this forum and I been here a few decades: that is the last two albums always gets burned. I remember when RA came out, it was burned together with Binaural, When St came out, it was burned with RA. When Backspacer came out t was burned St. When LB came out is was burned with BS. Etc, This is a returning them. So I have reaistic hopes with the new album: especially when they stated it going be more like Pendulum and Infallible. So lets be patient. Personally I hope for an experimental album, with some fillers, with a   surprise song. More importantly disconnected - as a metaphor / symbolism of the state of the world is now. I have the feeling they are still finding an artistic format, and that is ok. I hope they go out an limp and surprises us with a more theme-liked album.

Just my two cents.
    Some interesting observations here.

A serious question- and I don't mean to be poking fun- is English a second language for you?  I'm asking because it takes a bit of work to decipher your writing. I have a German friend- a really good friend- who writes like much the way you do.

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425

i'm with you on this.  people are out there doing some amazing stuff.  
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,784
    Historically speaking, I think Pearl Jam love their fans and have done their best to listen and deliver for them-- and that's not easy considering the myriad of differing opinions on the board here.  Sure, their priorities have shifted with families, and they are working at a pace that allows self-preservation for them as a band.  They always have made their survival priority, just like when they decided to dial back in the mid 90s.  There is always a tendency to believe that "bigger" and "more" is better-- that's not always the case, and the fellas have decided against doing more-- however, their shows have been BIGGER than ever before:  27 years later and they're selling out baseball stadiums and headlining monster festivals like Bonnaroo, which I imagine is a HUGE rush for them.

I think we're going to get a good album out of them in 2019 followed by a tour to support, both USA and Europe, and probably South America at some point.  I would think they'd like to make another journey to Japan and Australia as well in the not too distant future since it has been a while.  I also think that with how daunting it has been to write, record, and release this new music that the band will be really proud of whatever they put out and will want to showcase it world-wide.  Fan club members are owed 2 annual singles at this point, and the band will make good on them for sure, and it's pretty obvious that with the delay and the demand for the singles to be unheard original music, we will get just that.  They always have a few songs leftover from recording sessions, so I don't think it will be all that difficult to put 2 consecutive un-released tracks out from the 11th album release to satisfy the annual single requirement while simultaneously giving the fans exactly what they want.  It's like an interest payment for the delay in the process :)

Hey, it could be worse.  They could be TOOL :)  (and I LOVE Tool)

While I don't think the guys have actually lost passion and drive for what they do, some people around here seem to think that way.  My answer to them is to seek out local music.  There's nothing like being in a club with 25 other people watching a band that you KNOW are just awesome and that the only thing standing in their way of playing MSG one day is luck of the draw.

• faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    trees said:
    I predict double album and riot act type songs we neeed another trumpleauger song
    Pretty sure that's what they were going for with Can't Deny Me and it flopped, hard.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2019
    trees said:
    I predict double album and riot act type songs we neeed another trumpleauger song
    Pretty sure that's what they were going for with Can't Deny Me and it flopped, hard.   
    I have a hard time understanding what they wanted to do with CDM. They didn't make a "real" video for it or anything. Did they even push it out to radio stations? It didn't get a 7'' release either... but maybe MYM and Sirens didn't get that either.

Is it a "first single" off the new album, or more of a Olé release for the fans that they released because it was fitting with the Parkland shootings and Trump being a dick?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    trees said:
    I really hope they leave CDM off the next album. 

• VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,784
    brianlux said:
    I think when it was released it was touted as "off the forthcoming album".  But I share your sentiment-- I would rather have 11 - 14 fresh new songs that I haven't heard before.  Maybe the band was very proud of Can't Deny Me and figured at the time of release that there was no way that it wouldn't make the new album?  I think it's possible that it doesn't make the album if the other songs they are writing makes CDM a poor fit for the album.  They have left better songs off of their past albums simply because the song didn't fit the theme.
    brianlux said:
    I think when it was released it was touted as "off the forthcoming album".  But I share your sentiment-- I would rather have 11 - 14 fresh new songs that I haven't heard before.  Maybe the band was very proud of Can't Deny Me and figured at the time of release that there was no way that it wouldn't make the new album?  I think it's possible that it doesn't make the album if the other songs they are writing makes CDM a poor fit for the album.  They have left better songs off of their past albums simply because the song didn't fit the theme.
    Excellent point and I hope you're right, Vinny.

• That crunchy, slamming sound of CDM will not fit on "Riot Act 2". So I doubt it is kept.
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    Forward, not backward! Upward, not forward! And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!!!
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

edited January 2019
    trees said:
    Well if Ed would just sing like he can so beautiully, that would help alot.  Like sleight of hand, I am mine,  Can't Deny me is a disjointed shreeking.  I understand why but its a hard listen.
    Just do what's made you great all along.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    RYME said:
    trees said:
    Well if Ed would just sing like he can so beautiully, that would help alot.  Like sleight of hand, I am mine,  Can't Deny me is a disjointed shreeking.  I understand why but its a hard listen.
    Yes, I absolutely agree with this. The vocals on that song are jarring to say the least. I can't say I "get" what EV is going for when he does that. I have to assume he hears what we hear when he listens to it... I'm just not sure I understand how that gets the go ahead from him or any other member of the band. Are there people who actually like it when singing voices crack?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    He gives his best Chris Cornell. To me this is totally a Chris scream.