The Concept of God

1545556575860»

Comments

• TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    There is no heaven or hell, that’s just fucking ludicrous.  Why the hell would anyone worship god?  Religion and God is likely just another douchebag marketing scheme...

And churches should pay tax...
    Finally, something I can totally agree with from this esteemed member.  See we can get along.....
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    TalonTedd said:
    There is no heaven or hell, that’s just fucking ludicrous.  Why the hell would anyone worship god?  Religion and God is likely just another douchebag marketing scheme...

And churches should pay tax...
    Finally, something I can totally agree with from this esteemed member.  See we can get along.....
    I'm ok with churches being income tax exempt but I think they should pay property tax.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RYME said:
    God exists in the sense that you have the mental capacity to create God or "God's" or imaginary sea creatures.

There is a voice inside your head that is not your present tangible self.  The voice inside your mind is simply your thoughts.  It can be turned off and therefore is not who you are.  

Like people who suffer with multiple personality disorder or schizophrenia, those voices can often create conflict inside the individual.

However, if those voices were shut off the person would still exist.  You and I would still exist if the voice inside out mind were silent.  

God exist inside our mind as a creation of our imagination in order to provide a simple explanation to something we once could not explain as pre-histiric or ancient man.

God has been inserted into our subconcious by the telling and retelling of God stories.

Therefore, God exists only in the sense that we have created him. 
    I've prayed to God and my prayers have been answered. The impossible has been answered. I know God exists. God created us. 

All of them?

Or just random ones? Do you think those random prayers might have been answered through your own (or someone else's efforts)? Do you think maybe you are crediting God when credit lies elsewhere?
     If it's God's will it will be answered. God has answered my prayers but if I don't take the answer for invalid and/or stupid misconseptions or being afraid to accept the answer then it's my fault.  
    so that's not really prayers being answered in how I've always understood it. from what you are saying here, he didn't choose to reward you with your request. it was a happy accident he wanted to give what you wanted. kind of like a lottery ticket. 
    Not even close there aren't accidents with God. And when people pray it's not necessarily for themselves you understand that don't you. You're so funny. That was good. lol. 
    I wasn't attempting at humour.

you said "if it's god's will it will be answered". so he picks and chooses who gets what answered. that's not a loving god. especially not when someone's prayer is a new iphone and another's is clean drinking water, the former gets it, the latter dies. 
    Hi Hugh, 
    Well,
    1. Inorder to have any prayers answered you need to have faith in Him to begin with.  One cannot pray to God whom they doubt & don't belive in and expect results He won't do anything for you if you don't believe He's there, repent of your sins and accept His gift of salvation through Jesus Christ.  If you ever decide to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, you will experience a huge difference in your life and outlook on life.  I know that this will be met with some negativity.  But it is my prayer for all of you non-believers out there to accept Christ & see for yourselves the blessings that follow.
    2. Some of God's greatest gifts  are unanswered prayers.  God can see the future, we cannot.  So if one of His faithful asks Him for something that He knows in the long run is not good for that person life, He's not going to give it. (If your 7 year old child asks you for a rattlesnake for his/her birthday would you give it? The answer is that most parents would say no.  Because the parents know that sooner or later that rattlesnake is going to bite you.)
    Take it easy Hugh and God bless you.
    1. I legitimately accepted him into my life when I was 9 or so. It literaly had zero effect on me. 
    2. we aren't talking about a kid asking for a new iPhone going unsanswered. I am talking about a mother praying for her child's cancer to go into remission. unless you are suggesting that god sees this child as a future rapist/murderer, then no, I don't see any unanswered gifts as being "god's greatest gifts". to me that just sounds like more rationalizations. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RYME said:
    Life in the flesh is temporary.  That's the motivation for Christians.  Do the best we can. and put up with this because this isn't the way it's always going to be.  We struggle during this time, patiently waiting for the next dispensation of time to come knowing that the rewards will be great.  I certainly don't have all the answers as to why things go on around the world as they do.  I do not consider myself to be perfect or better than anyone else, I do the best I can. But I struggle with life just like everyone else.  I know that faith in Christ is a big leap for a lot of people.  Its clear to me that I'm not going to convince to many people that Christ is the way to go.  
    I am a seed planter.  I cannot make those seeds grow.  I brodcast seeds the same way you would toss out chicken feed or grass seed.  Grab a hand full and toss it out  this way and that way.  Some will take, some wont.  Some will get eaten by birds, some wont get enough water and die out, and some will grow roots, sprout and flourish. I can not control the results, all's I can do is plant seeds and hope they take.
    Satin is responsible for all the pain and suffering in the world.  Not God.  (That never gets talked about)
    Jesus Christ is coming back again. (The second advent)  Its going to shock a lot a lot of people.  When this is in the process of happening, many of those seeds that laid dormant for many many years that I and many like myself have planted will remember what they heard from people like me and others and will spring to life.
    I understand your skepticism though I do.
    Fabric is not at fault 
    LMAO. I was going to post the same thing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:

RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Why can't we just respect each others opinions? This is a thread called The Concept of God isn't it? Why even take the time to enter this thread, if you only want to criticize what another person believes in? 
    Why would an opinion merit respect just because someone holds it?
    Do you respect the opinions of white supremacists? 
    Do you respect the opinions of men who believe women should be beaten into submission and stripped of autonomy?
    Bullshit is bullshit and it needs to be called out as bullshit.

To your last question...
    Because we want the world to move forward.
    So you are saying only the way you're thinking is the right way. If everyone was thinking like you there would be a perfect world? There is no room for people who thinks differently than you?
    Off course shouldn't opinions that are hurtful to anyone be respected. 
    I didn't say any of those things, and there is plenty of room to disagree within the bounds of reality and rational thought.
    Even subtracting the supernatural, the Judaic legends are ridiculous.  
    God can't be perfect and vain.
    God can't be loving and vengeful.
    God can't be omnipotent and have his plans spoiled by the devil.
    Most importantly, God can't have a plan for everything and abdicate responsibility for the horrific suffering of mankind.

How do you know this is true? 
    Basic logic.  Those examples are all contradictory.  Something perfect can't have flaws, vanity is a flaw, etc.
    So God has been described in a contradictory way? It isn't any proof he wouldn't exist.
    Yes, God has been described in a completely contradictory way by the only evidence that supports His existence.
    It is proof that He surely doesn't exist as we've been told.  
    I don't know maybe you can ask him.
    He's notoriously silent.
    To those who have eyes to see & ears to hear, Our Father speaks loud and clear.
    So, just to make sure I've got this straight...
    You're saying it's the fault of the starving African child covered in flies and mud that she/he doesn't hear God's responses to prayer?
    It was the Holocaust victims who lacked eyes and ears?
    You don't ever even realize how frankly disgusting and insulting the things you say are.  THAT'S why people mock you and your religion, because it is abhorrent and you don't even have the mind to think it.

*We've all seen the pictures of the starving children and Holocaust victims so I won't post any here out of respect to the other posters, I think people with beliefs like yours should be faced with those pictures every day so they can get it through their thick skulls that their empty Christian catch-phrases are the true mockery!
    this is a point I (and of course many others) have made with little to no response from the godful. How do you reconcile this? these people get the fucking penthouse suite in heaven, and we get a one room apartment?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Why can't we just respect each others opinions? This is a thread called The Concept of God isn't it? Why even take the time to enter this thread, if you only want to criticize what another person believes in? 
    Do you respect the opinions of men who believe women should be beaten into submission and stripped of autonomy?

To your last question...
    So you are saying only the way you're thinking is the right way. If everyone was thinking like you there would be a perfect world? There is no room for people who thinks differently than you?
    I didn't say any of those things, and there is plenty of room to disagree within the bounds of reality and rational thought.
    Most importantly, God can't have a plan for everything and abdicate responsibility for the horrific suffering of mankind.

Basic logic.  Those examples are all contradictory.  Something perfect can't have flaws, vanity is a flaw, etc.
    So God has been described in a contradictory way? It isn't any proof he wouldn't exist.
    Yes, God has been described in a completely contradictory way by the only evidence that supports His existence.
    He's notoriously silent.
    yeah, I've heard this before. it boggles my mind that people actually believe that there is a spiritual force "speaking" to them, whether they mean that metaphorically or not, which I'm assuming you are. if you aren't, I seriously recommend getting that checked. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:

RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...

He's notoriously silent.
    You're saying it's the fault of the starving African child covered in flies and mud that she/he doesn't hear God's responses to prayer?
    You don't ever even realize how frankly disgusting and insulting the things you say are.  THAT'S why people mock you and your religion, because it is abhorrent and you don't even have the mind to think it.

*We've all seen the pictures of the starving children and Holocaust victims so I won't post any here out of respect to the other posters, I think people with beliefs like yours should be faced with those pictures every day so they can get it through their thick skulls that their empty Christian catch-phrases are the true mockery!
    this is a point I (and of course many others) have made with little to no response from the godful. How do you reconcile this? these people get the fucking penthouse suite in heaven, and we get a one room apartment?
    So if people would stop believing in God, then all this horrible
    meaningless things would stop happening?
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:

RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...

He's notoriously silent.

So if all people would stop believing in God, then all this horrible
    I have no issue with people believing in god. my problem lies with people who seem to be so arrogant to believe that god grants wishes to those that pray and are righteous. like somehow those of us in first world countries deserve our prayers to be answered more than those that live a life of disease, starvation, oppression, civil war, etc. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:

RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...

He's notoriously silent.

So if all people would stop believing in God, then all this horrible
    I have no issue with people believing in god. my problem lies with people who seem to be so arrogant to believe that god grants wishes to those that pray and are righteous. like somehow those of us in first world countries deserve our prayers to be answered more than those that live a life of disease, starvation, oppression, civil war, etc. 
    Ok, I can understand that.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    To the 2 or 3 Christians out there in the PJ land I say Merry Christmas to you. 
    This is (John Rutter's The Angels' Carol performed by the Cambridge Singers)
    My favorit Christmas Carol of all time.

https://youtu.be/rYYT52KIuzs

To the rest of you, and to whom I do respect your disbelief in God & Jesus or whatever,  I say this respectfully to you,,,on this 24th day of December,
    Happy Non-Denominational Winter Themed Gift Giving holliday season!!! & Cheers!!!

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    RYME said:
    To the 2 or 3 Christians out there in the PJ land I say Merry Christmas to you. 
    This is (John Rutter's The Angels' Carol performed by the Cambridge Singers)
    My favorit Christmas Carol of all time.

https://youtu.be/rYYT52KIuzs

To the rest of you, and to whom I do respect your disbelief in God & Jesus or whatever,  I say this respectfully to you,,,on this 24th day of December,
    Happy Non-Denominational Winter Themed Gift Giving holliday season!!! & Cheers!!!

Happy Yule!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Happy Yule indeed!
    My in-laws all went full Catholic insanity so they got a birthday cake for Jesus and the niece and nephew sang Happy Birthday Jesus.  They (6 and 4.5) asked my 3.5yr old son if he wanted to join them and he said 
    "I don't want no Jesus cake" and walked away lol. Proud Papa.
    They are fully brainwashed so deep that they can't even understand that we believe differently, it doesn't make sense to them that we "don't love Jesus"
    Weird.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I grew up full on Cathlic and never once heard of singing happy birthday to Jesus or a birthday cake. Thats a whole other level of insanity.
    Jesus cake, lol.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rgambs said:
    Happy Yule indeed!
    My in-laws all went full Catholic insanity so they got a birthday cake for Jesus and the niece and nephew sang Happy Birthday Jesus.  They (6 and 4.5) asked my 3.5yr old son if he wanted to join them and he said 
    They are fully brainwashed so deep that they can't even understand that we believe differently, it doesn't make sense to them that we "don't love Jesus"
    Weird.
    I don’t recall Vatican II dealing with issues related to the Jesus Birthday Cake :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rgambs said:
    Happy Yule indeed!
    Weird.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQtFtyrZ-IA
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    rgambs said:
    Happy Yule indeed!
    Weird.
    good god
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    Happy Yule indeed!
    Weird.
    good god
    Birthday cake and singing happy birthday Jesus? And making kids sing it? man, that is nuts. I second Hugh, "good god."
    Most people don't know this and it dosn't jive with all the xmas songs.  But it is well documented in the book of Luke.
    The conception took place on Dec 25th.  The birth was 9 months later, Sept 29th.
    Take it easy.....

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    Happy Yule indeed!
    Weird.
    good god
    Birthday cake and singing happy birthday Jesus? And making kids sing it? man, that is nuts. I second Hugh, "good god."
    Most people don't know this and it dosn't jive with all the xmas songs.  But it is well documented in the book of Luke.
    The conception took place on Dec 25th.  The birth was 9 months later, Sept 29th.
    Take it easy.....

It was the kids that instigated the happy birthday Jesus business, to be fair.

To the date of Christmas, they used an entirely different calendar back then, and a half dozen or so have come and gone since then so there isn't any reason to trust any date in the Bible beyond a general description of the season and years that are corroborated by outside sources, and neither the conception nor the birth of Jesus can be corroborated.  

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    Happy Yule indeed!
    Weird.
    good god
    Take it easy.....

my 'good god' was also in reference to the intolerance to non-believers. it is just so fucking hypocritical, and you see it all over the place in religion. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…

• Why not?

If churches were smart, they’d have gift shops with novelty Jesuses, colouring books, and all sorts of other cool items.

If I was religious, I’d maybe want an action Jesus to play with.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited December 2019
    The Man And His Birds
    https://youtu.be/ddai8rkXWRs
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    God is a concept, by which we measure, our, pain.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014