Is technology taking over our lives?!?

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I've was thinking about the original question, "Is technology taking over out lives?" and got into this OCD existential thought process of wonder, is it "over our lives" as in society in general, or as in "our individual lives". 

"Over our lives" is debatable (I think it is) and difficult to measure. 

Over an individual's life is a lot easier to assess and is somewhat measurable.  The way to do that would be to imagine you had to carry on with life in such a way that you would still have any or all the necessities and pleasure of life that were available when you were a kid- say 8 or 9-,  but had to live without the technology you utilize and rely on that came about since you were a kid.  How would you do?

For me, if I went back to living like when I was a kid at 8 or 9,  I would have to live without some of the things that I do have now, or have access to now.  Those things I would have to live without would include:

-Cell phone
    -Computer
    -Automatic dishwasher or clothes dryer (they existed but we didn't have them)
    -Photocopier or scanner (although our schools did have mimeograph machines)
    -Telephone answering machine
    -Handheld calculator
    -Digital camera
    -Any kind of remote control devise
    -CD player
    -Portable CD or tape player

That's all I can think of at the moment. 

I would miss these things but I could adjust to living without them.  I could still have books, a stereo, records, reel-to-reel tapes, a telephone, postage stamps.  I would no longer have an on-line business,  but I could still sell books.  People would have to call back if I didn't answer.  I already (mostly) hang my clothes to dry and hand wash the dishes.  I can do math.  Having no remote controls would suck, but I'd get by.

I believe I could live without those things again so I would have to say, no, technology has not taken over my life but, yes, I am currently dependent on technology in my current life situation.

I could adjust to living without just about everything I own besides some warm clothes, something to sleep on, food, and hopefully shelter. But I don't want to, lol. ;) I LOVE all of my technology. I'm not a slave to it at all. I simply enjoy it, and use it to my own benefit, for entertainment, convenience, as well as for very very useful things, and wow, the amount of information and knowledge I now have access to is insane. I don't really remember how much I used to NOT know, but I love to be able to just wonder about some random thing, and then look it up to actually learn about it. I guess before the internet I must have... what?? Asked around and trusted whatever crap people told me? Made my own uninformed assumptions? I know I wasn't running off to the library every day, lol.
    And of course, the access to music that technology affords is one of the greatest highlights of my life.
    I started doing this early on and learned so much.  One of the first things I remember looking up was "is driving barefoot illegal?" I'm not telling any of you, lol!  LOOK IT UP!

Something I found with having all that music at your fingertips now makes me get bored of something rather quickly when before I was forced to listen through.  It's to easy to skip or move on to something else and not give something a chance.
    I can see how that would be easy re the music thing... I personally make a point of not doing that. When I hear just one cool song, I'll actually go to the artist page and really dig in, listen to all the albums (or discover it's a one hit wonder, lol), etc. Although I have oodles of time on my hands to do this. I'm in front of a computer all day long at work, so can pretty much do this 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I've was thinking about the original question, "Is technology taking over out lives?" and got into this OCD existential thought process of wonder, is it "over our lives" as in society in general, or as in "our individual lives". 

Over an individual's life is a lot easier to assess and is somewhat measurable.  The way to do that would be to imagine you had to carry on with life in such a way that you would still have any or all the necessities and pleasure of life that were available when you were a kid- say 8 or 9-,  but had to live without the technology you utilize and rely on that came about since you were a kid.  How would you do?

For me, if I went back to living like when I was a kid at 8 or 9,  I would have to live without some of the things that I do have now, or have access to now.  Those things I would have to live without would include:

-Cell phone
    -Computer
    -Handheld calculator
    -Digital camera
    -CD player

I would miss these things but I could adjust to living without them.  I could still have books, a stereo, records, reel-to-reel tapes, a telephone, postage stamps.  I would no longer have an on-line business,  but I could still sell books.  People would have to call back if I didn't answer.  I already (mostly) hang my clothes to dry and hand wash the dishes.  I can do math.  Having no remote controls would suck, but I'd get by.

I believe I could live without those things again so I would have to say, no, technology has not taken over my life but, yes, I am currently dependent on technology in my current life situation.

I could adjust to living without just about everything I own besides some warm clothes, something to sleep on, food, and hopefully shelter. But I don't want to, lol. ;) I LOVE all of my technology. I'm not a slave to it at all. I simply enjoy it, and use it to my own benefit, for entertainment, convenience, as well as for very very useful things, and wow, the amount of information and knowledge I now have access to is insane. I don't really remember how much I used to NOT know, but I love to be able to just wonder about some random thing, and then look it up to actually learn about it. I guess before the internet I must have... what?? Asked around and trusted whatever crap people told me? Made my own uninformed assumptions? I know I wasn't running off to the library every day, lol.
    And of course, the access to music that technology affords is one of the greatest highlights of my life.
    I started doing this early on and learned so much.  One of the first things I remember looking up was "is driving barefoot illegal?" I'm not telling any of you, lol!  LOOK IT UP!

Something I found with having all that music at your fingertips now makes me get bored of something rather quickly when before I was forced to listen through.  It's to easy to skip or move on to something else and not give something a chance.
    I found myself doing this as well when I first got apple music. I just kept adding more and more music to my library without actually listening to it, and that bugged me, as a massive music fan. so I cancelled my subscription. when my kids got old enough to start wanting steaming music, I got a family package, and I don't add music to my library any more. I just stream it if I want to listen to it. (plus I noticed apple was fucking with my own uploaded library track/album names and shit-some AI type of nonsense that only happens if I download from apple music). 

and now that I have bluetooth speakers all over the house, it makes it much easier to enjoy streaming. as a father/husband, I find that wearing headphones in the home is much more annoying than not. I'm constantly saying "what was that?" and "why are you talking to me right now? you can see this giant set of headphones on my head, can't you?" and taking one phone off one ear. I just ended up, out of habit, just putting one phone on and leaving one off from the get-go to avoid that. and that sucked. like having one working speaker. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

-Cell phone
    -Computer
    -Handheld calculator
    -Digital camera
    -CD player

I had to  look it up!   What I found here was interesting and the name of the website mentioned in the third paragraph (not saying what it is.  Wanna know?  Look it  up!  Haha!) cracked me up!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

-Cell phone
    -Computer
    -Handheld calculator
    -Digital camera
    -CD player

I had to  look it up!   What I found here was interesting and the name of the website mentioned in the third paragraph (not saying what it is.  Wanna know?  Look it  up!  Haha!) cracked me up!
    lol!  Thanks for playing Brian and glad I could make you chuckle!!!

You made me chuckle too, lol!
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

-Cell phone
    -Computer
    -Handheld calculator
    -Digital camera
    -CD player

Only if you want to believe the Society for Barefoot Living. :wink:

I just found this thread and I read the whole thing and find it fascinating. 

I think that what was mentioned back several pages is true - for those of us that grew up before technology was so prevalent, we are able to use technology, even over use it, but are also able to live without it for periods of time. If there was a power outage, I would be able to survive. My son, whose a Gen Y or Z'er, not sure, is completely attached to his phone. 

I think technology has made us lazier. Kids don't play as much as they used to play; or at least they aren't as creative in making up games or working with whatever is available. They can do whatever they need to do, mostly, on their phone. Or they are playing on an X-Box or PlayStation. Parents can do things to limit or delay a child's use of phones, games, tv but eventually they are going to be playing at someone else's house and slowly technology starts to enter into their lives more and more. 

I love computers, we didn't have computer science in high school, so I learned in college and on the job how to code and take them apart and just soaked in all information that I could on new computer technology. I love being able to look up whatever comes to my mind and being able to fall down a rabbit hole of information. I have always loved to read so researching on a computer is amazing. And I love being able to have all the music that I want at my fingertips. I remember buying records, really badly recorded ones, just to be able to hear a band I liked live. Now I can see a band performing at the moment that they are doing so, from my home from streaming apps. 

As far as the self driving cars - no thank you. I like to drive, I don't trust a car driving for me. And I have no desire for my  home to be connected so that the refrigerator talks to the thermostat, etc. I don't have an Alexa or Echo or any of those devices. 

Our privacy is definitely gone. No matter how much you do to guard what little bits of yourself you try to - it's already too late. Our information is out there and there isn't much you can do about it.   I can tell my son that he shouldn't post pictures of his dick because when he goes for a job interview they are going to be able to see that. But my parents told me not to do things and did I listen? Not a lot of the time. I lived and I learned. 
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

-Cell phone
    -Computer
    -Handheld calculator
    -Digital camera
    -CD player

LOL, they've been dong it since the mid sixties:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

About 4 years ago I was going apple picking and I was trying to get speaking directions from my phone. It kept giving me a ridiculous route to get where I wanted to go. I finally said to the phone "you're fucking stupid". And, swear to god, my phone replied "that's not what you'll say when robots take over the world". 

Freaky. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Refrigeration and air conditioning are the only technologies I would really miss.  I use my phone plenty, but I could go back to writing solitarily with ease.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    njnancy said:
    About 4 years ago I was going apple picking and I was trying to get speaking directions from my phone. It kept giving me a ridiculous route to get where I wanted to go. I finally said to the phone "you're fucking stupid". And, swear to god, my phone replied "that's not what you'll say when robots take over the world". 

Freaky. 
    That’s a great answer, though :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 
    Day-am!  They are taking over, aren't they?!  :lol:

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 
    Very!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 
    iphone? android, if so which brand?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited December 2018
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 
    Android, I've never had any Apple products - I believe I had a HTC OneMax at the time. It was GPS through Google Maps with Skyvi (android version of Siri before they had OK Google voice commands).
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 
    Android, I've never had any Apple products - I believe I had a HTC OneMax at the time. It was GPS through Google Maps with Skyvi (android version of Siri before they had OK Google voice commands).

Is this like a badge of honour.  It seems people go out of their way to say they never used Apple products...that's funny

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

Is this like a badge of honour.  It seems people go out of their way to say they never used Apple products...that's funny

Every time you have a negative thought, you really don't have to type it. Seriously.

And adding 'that's funny' makes no sense. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

Every time you have a negative thought, you really don't have to type it. Seriously.

I'll type whatever I want.  Are you the internet police.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

I'll type whatever I want.  Are you the internet police.  
    No, are you the Apple police?
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

By the way, it was sarcasm...don't be such stick in the mud.  and I've seen some of your posts.  You have no room to talk...I can debate this all day with you.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

By the way, it was sarcasm...don't be such stick in the mud.  and I've seen some of your posts.  You have no room to talk...I can debate this all day with you.
    It wasn't sarcasm. 

But you've seen some of my posts and I have no room to talk - you have just declared yourself to be the decider of what I may post and if it is acceptable. That's rather personal for a person that I don't know. 

I have no desire to 'debate' with you. Debate is fun. This is not.

njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

It wasn't sarcasm. 

But you've seen some of my posts and I have no room to talk - you have just declared yourself to be the decider of what I may post and if it is acceptable. That's rather personal for a person that I don't know. 

Give Peas A Chance…
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

It wasn't sarcasm. 

Yeah, it was.  I have not made an offensive comment to you.  You are easily offended.  Toughen up.  It just the internet...my gawd
    Give Peas A Chance…
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

It wasn't sarcasm. 

Yeah, it was.  I have not made an offensive comment to you.  You are easily offended.  Toughen up.  It just the internet...my gawd
    Perhaps, but that illustrates one of the problems with technology- the difficulty of communicating well and clearly on-line.  Words are only 7% of communication, all the rest is body language, facial expression and tone of voice, none of which you get here.   That makes offending and being offended much easier.  I think we should all meet up at an I-Hop in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin for coffee and discussion time once a week.

brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

It wasn't sarcasm. 

Perhaps, but that illustrates one of the problems with technology- the difficulty of communicating well and clearly on-line.  Words are only 7% of communication, all the rest is body language, facial expression and tone of voice, none of which you get here.   That makes offending and being offended much easier.  I think we should all meet up at an I-Hop in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin for coffee and discussion time once a week.
    That may be.  But if you get offended by someone's comment on the internet.  You are soft, people need to toughen up.  Nothing offensive was said to that particular poster.   By the way, that poster could choose to ignore.  If I'm in the right mood and you start quoting me about stupid shit, the debate is on...if I'm not in the mood I move on...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

It wasn't sarcasm. 

That may be.  But if you get offended by someone's comment on the internet.  You are soft, people need to toughen up.  Nothing offensive was said to that particular poster.   By the way, that poster could choose to ignore.  If I'm in the right mood and you start quoting me about stupid shit, the debate is on...if I'm not in the mood I move on...
    You do not get to characterize if I am soft or if I need to toughen up. If you are in a mood then you get to change the entire arc of a thread? I've seen you do it before and you have cursed at me before when I haven't even been speaking to you. Being tough isn't the ability to be critical of others. I'm so sick of people who like to be contrary using the 'toughen up' excuse. It's weak.

You quoted me about stupid shit - you bolded my saying I have never used Apple. Why do you care and why is that funny?

If you are going to be critical of someone, then own up to it and don't play it off like you were having fun. 

brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

It wasn't sarcasm. 

Anytime Brian. 
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

It wasn't sarcasm. 

What is wrong with soft?  Why do people need to toughen up?  I hear those things said a lot as if they are a given.  Some people are more sensitive than others.  Is that a problem?  Honest question.

Thread integrity - technology changes the way that people interact with each other. 
    njnancy said:
    Thread integrity - technology changes the way that people interact with each other. 
    For sure!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

It wasn't sarcasm. 

What is wrong with soft?  Why do people need to toughen up?  I hear those things said a lot as if they are a given.  Some people are more sensitive than others.  Is that a problem?  Honest question.
    If you are offended by the question I asked, you are beyond soft...how about suck it up buttercup.  The poster could have ignored, not that hard.  Do not engage in a forum of the anonymous posters and then try to set the rules... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:

Freaky. 

It wasn't sarcasm. 

If you are offended by the question I asked, you are beyond soft...how about suck it up buttercup.  The poster could have ignored, not that hard.  Do not engage in a forum of the anonymous posters and then try to set the rules... 
    Suck it up buttercup? :lol: Not worth my time.