Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    mca47 said:
    Anyone here have a Ooni pizza oven?  I got one a few months back and highly recommend it.  It heats up to 900+ degrees in about 10-15 minutes.  It makes absolute KILLER Neapolitan pizzas. I've eaten so much damn pizza over the last couple of months because of it.  Blessing and a curse!   LOL  
    I checked that out a while back...interesting.
    Great feedback.
    If you do consider getting one, I'd go with the Ooni Pro.  I currently have the Ooni 3.
    Biggest differences between the two betsides the size (the Pro is a bit bigger)...
    The 3 runs on wood pellets or gas (gas attachment sold separately), whereas the Pro can run on pellets, gas, coal or wood.  I like the idea of using coal and wood.  The pellets work well, but are trickier to get flaming and require more attention.  I got a jam funnel which works as an extender so i don't have to keep feeding it the whole time. 
    The pizzas turn out AMAZING regardless of what model you have.  The 900+ oven cooks the pizza in about 60 seconds.  I turn mine every 20 seconds and after 60, you have a beautiful Neapolitan pie.   
    Oh, and I think the Pro is about $150-200 more than the 3...but if I had to do it all over again, I'd pay for the Pro.  
  • Options
    I want my very own wood fire pizza oven. I have not made a pizza in years. I saw Jamie Oliver making some on TV the other day using a conventional oven and a slab of (forgot the name of it) which he sourced from a builder in order to use as a pizza stone.
    Look in to the Ooni outdoor oven.  Absolutely love mine and it's reasonably priced.
  • Options
    And...please share some pics from the Ooni results!
    I'll admit, I don't know how to do this.  I think the last pic I posted on here was maybe 7-8 years ago and I'm sure that was pre-iPhone.
  • Options

• Options
    Figured it out...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Whoa, look at how thick those slices of fucking mozz are?  Wow!
    Those pictures are badass.  Thanks for figuring that out.  I looked at this before but had not seen pics/received feedback from someone who had it. 

Is it dangerous to be next to when at temp? 

Is the taste very different between pellets and gas?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Cook a steak yet in that fucker?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Some good looking pies!  This is the first "real" user feedback I've seen of the Ooni as well. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Nice job mca!!!  Looks delish. How much did that set up cost?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Whoa, look at how thick those slices of fucking mozz are?  Wow!
    Those pictures are badass.  Thanks for figuring that out.  I looked at this before but had not seen pics/received feedback from someone who had it. 

Is it dangerous to be next to when at temp? 

Is the taste very different between pellets and gas?
    It's not dangerous at all.  The outside metal will be hot when it's running, but the heat is well contained and the smoke and a lot of the heat (as long as the front door is on) goes straight out the chimney.  
    I prefer the pellet taste over the gas.  The wood pellets give it a slight wood/smoke flavor.  The gas burner is much, much easier to use.  Just turn it on and forget it, where the pellets need to be monitored more closely.  
  • Options
    Also...is that a theormeter 'gun' on the counter?  You double-check your heat source?
    Pro tip!
  • Options
    Cook a steak yet in that fucker?
    I'm not a red meat eater, but I know people who do and say it's pretty amazing.
    I do cook fish and seafood in it.  Shrimp, fish, scallops, mussels, clams...Put whatever in a cast iron pan, toss it in....mmmm!
    Also made naan bread in there which turned out fantastic.
    I joined the Ooni Facebook page and it's fun seeing all of the stuff others make in it.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Nice job mca!!!  Looks delish. How much did that set up cost?
    The oven I have (Ooni 3) was $299.  I later bought the gas attachment (not required) which I think was ~$80.
    Other stuff I got include a smaller wood peel for launching, a metal peel for turning and pulling...and obviously a bunch of wood cooking/smoking pellets.  
  • Options
    Also...is that a theormeter 'gun' on the counter?  You double-check your heat source?
    Pro tip!
    Yeah, I check the temp of the stone prior to launching.  If the stone is in the 650-700 range you're good to go.  This also means the air temp within is around 900.
  • Options
    I love wood smokers.  Since I am married I rarely experience them.
  • Options
    I love wood smokers.  Since I am married I rarely experience them.
    Ha!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    OK, so how does this work again?

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Pregnant wife was craving some deep dish tonight.  No complains from me....half cheese, half sausage patty.  Lou's never disappoints.  

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^ My man! Sausage is my go to. Can’t beat it. 
  • Options
    TP at the ready!
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    mca47 said:

Badass! I want one! Your pies look great.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    mca47 said:

OMG that looks so good.
    I had a look at the Ooni. Never heard of them. I don't think they are sold in Australia.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Out of curiosity, not sure if I've asked this before, why do you guys call pizzas "pies"?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    edited December 2018
    Top: three cheese three mushroom pizza 
    bottom: cabbage potato pizza with whole wheat pizza dough 
    Post edited by DavidD on
  • Options
    Looks good, David!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Forgot to take a picture but we had pizza, on Saturday, from this place called Bacco near us. I think it's the best in my area. Just, nice, solid wood fired pizza.

Wings were sub par though. They are kind of hit and miss. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Out of curiosity, not sure if I've asked this before, why do you guys call pizzas "pies"?
    They are, by definition, a savory pie.
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    edited December 2018
    Looks good, David!
    Thanks!

Anyone here make their own Pizza dough?
    if not give it a go, when done right it’s totaly worth it. 
    Post edited by DavidD on
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    DavidD said:
    Looks good, David!
    Thanks!

Anyone here make their own Pizza dough?
    if not give it a go, when done right it’s totaly worth it. 
    I don’t but my brother in law does all the time. We’re always there during the process and to eat the finished product. It is a serious game changer.