PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I think they're signing sid bream and spanky lavalliere next
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    It's not a great contract but he still has some good at bats left in him.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    UGH - option for a 4th year. I'm hoping that's a team option.
    Where you seeing this? 

chinese-happy.jpg
    It's a club from what I saw.  3 is still too many, but he's a tough at bat still.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    interesting signing. Not sure how i feel about it. :confounded:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Feel good about it. It's a precursor to a MUCH bigger signing. And even if they miss out, it's not a bad fall back option. 

Got quite a few trade chips too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Feel good about it. It's a precursor to a MUCH bigger signing. And even if they miss out, it's not a bad fall back option. 

i guess, still hoping for Harper though. He's not gonna be what he was like 5 years ago but  Could still put up solid numbers I suppose.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    You'll get one of the two
    It's not a great contract but he still has some good at bats left in him.
    it's a move a contending team should make to put them over the top or try to remain in contention.  Like signing Raul Ibanez after winning the WS.  I like cutch, but he's really not good anymore and that contract is horrid

you like every move they make -- even the terrible ones
    The Fixer said:

you like every move they make -- even the terrible ones
    Love the terrible ones!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited December 2018

http://insider.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/25511234/adding-andrew-mccutchen-helps-philadelphia-phillies-improve-left-field

Law: Andrew McCutchen a key upgrade for Phillies in left field

The Phillies cleared left field with their recent trade of Carlos Santana and J.P. Crawford to Seattle for Jean Segura and two relievers, which allowed them to move Rhys Hoskins, who was a defensive disaster in left, back to first base for 2019. They've now filled the vacated corner outfield spot by signing Andrew McCutchen to a very reasonable three-year, $50 million deal, one that should make them a little better on offense and a good bit better on defense, and brings one of the most respected players in the game into a clubhouse that's still on the young side and is likely to remain so for the next few years.

McCutchen is a corner outfielder now, and there's no reason he should play center with Odubel Herrera entrenched there and Roman Quinnbacking him up. The Phillies can just plug him in left field and hope he continues to hit as he did the past two years -- .267/.366/.455 for a 121 wRC+, well above league average for left fielders in that span (about a 101 wRC+). That's more than the Phillies got from Santana, whom McCutchen is more or less directly replacing, and they still have further room to improve if they add another corner outfielder to upgrade on their nonproductive right field tandem of Nick Williams and Aaron Altherr.

McCutchen's defense has certainly slipped from his peak, when he could play an average center field, to where you're hoping for average defense in left and might settle for a few runs below that. He'll play all of 2019 at age 32 and MLB's sprint speed metrics say he can still run plus when he needs to. If he's lost anything due to age, it would be a little bit of bat speed, as he looked like he might be cheating a little on velocity last year and thus performing worse than usual on off-speed stuff, but his eye is still good enough and he has enough power to be valuable despite that. He's also been exceptionally durable, playing at least 146 games in nine straight seasons, with a thumb or hand injury in 2016 the only real ailment he's had. The presence of Quinn, an 80 runner with contact skills and a long history of getting hurt, as a fourth outfielder could give McCutchen more days off over the course of the long season; it's possible that will help him maintain his level of production even as he gets older.

Phillies GM Matt Klentak pointed out, correctly, on Monday that if they want to be a playoff team in 2019, they need to build a roster they believe can win 90-plus games. The Phillies won 80 last year, ahead of their Pythagorean projection based on their runs scored/allowed (76 wins) but also not reflective of how the team played before September, a month in which they seemed to lose more games than they actually played. The additions of Segura, McCutchen and some bullpen help pushes them up probably five to six wins already. If they make a huge splash -- say, signing one of this winter's two elite free agents -- they'd have a very credible argument that they're a 90-plus win team on paper going into spring training.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The contract is pretty bad though. You’ll get one pretty good year, one so so year and probably one bad year out of the deal.

Was a part time player when he got to the yanks last year and displaced Gardner, which obviously wasn’t tough to do. Had a few real good at bats in the playoffs.
    The contract is pretty bad though. You’ll get one pretty good year, one so so year and probably one bad year out of the deal.

Was a part time player when he got to the yanks last year and displaced Gardner, which obviously wasn’t tough to do. Had a few real good at bats in the playoffs.
    By all accounts they overpaid by 5M right? 3/45 was his projection. Would've liked 2 years also but some other team would've offered 3...

Also--it's not like the last year is going to hurt them. They're still way below the luxury tax and the owner isn't afraid of going over it anyway. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

By all accounts they overpaid by 5M right? 3/45 was his projection. Would've liked 2 years also but some other team would've offered 3...

Also--it's not like the last year is going to hurt them. They're still way below the luxury tax and the owner isn't afraid of going over it anyway. 
    I like him for this team.  I am surprised that 3 and 45 was his projection.  I would have gone in thinking 2 max, but if that's what folks thought, they know more than me.

Well, I don't think he has said anything about the luxury tax and the only way they'd get that high is if they sign both of the big guys, I think. But yeah, $15 mil a year isn't anything for them right now.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    The Klubot being in play could be the key.  Give them whatever they want for him, raises the entire game.
    Fascinating to watch this unfold - I imagine for Phillies fans this is stomach churning.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    The Klubot being in play could be the key.  Give them whatever they want for him, raises the entire game.
    Fascinating to watch this unfold - I imagine for Phillies fans this is stomach churning.
    Yeah that is something I'd be willing to consider parting with Sixto on. Under team control for the next few years right? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Yep
    Dodgers look to be making moves to enable them to land Harper though...

OUTBID EVERYONE, JOHN. FUCK.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Dodgers look to be making moves to enable them to land Harper though...

OUTBID EVERYONE, JOHN. FUCK.
    And your boy just hopped on board to help the recruiting process!

I am going to be infuriated if the Dodgers get Harper and you get Macahdo.  Hal is a piece of crap if that happens.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    What the fuck are you guys yammering on about?
    Well I was joking about Utley taking a job with the Dodgers and being the guy to recruit Harper away from the Phillies.

But it looks like the Dodgers may be making a play for him.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Utley's dead to me is this is the case.
    haha. I am sure he'll sit that recruiting process out.
    Like the exact opposite of what this guy says, happens.  Because of that, I bet you guys get Machado.

Know what hits the motherfucking spot on a hangover?!?! South Philly Barbacoa 
    Any of you pillow biters want to check out Flyers Preds on Thursday?  Appears Mrs FMe cannot go.  
    I didn't go to the last game from our package and want to still go.  Got an extra ticket.
    Any of you pillow biters want to check out Flyers Preds on Thursday?  Appears Mrs FMe cannot go.  
    I didn't go to the last game from our package and want to still go.  Got an extra ticket.
    Might have some seats on the court for the raptors game, so gonna save my hall pass for that. Should do sushi sometime though 
    Agree!