Obamacare ACA (Affordable Care Act)

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I've decided that any post-service billings I receive from now on are going in the fucking trash.  I don't care if every single bill goes to collections from now on, other than co-pays & prescriptions I am not paying a single fucking penny beyond what comes out of my paycheck.  Fuck your deductible, fuck your claim denials, and fuck you.  When the United States can get its head out of it's ass and shows it actually cares about the well-being of ALL its citizens, I'll cooperate.  Every other developed nation on this god damn planet has this shit figured out except us.  Greed. Greed. Greed.
    What will happen to you if you do this? What are the legal or financial consequences?
    My credit score will drop.  Also a big fucking scam.
    Haha. I often wonder about credit scores... I mean, it seems to really really matter if you plan on making big purchases. Like for mortgages and car loans. It also matters to some landlords, so renters need to keep it up (that's the main reason it matters to me). Now that you can see credit scores for free, I've been seeing what mine is for the first time in my life... I was pleased to see mine from the high-700s to the mid-800s, depending on which credit rating agency's score it is. So great. I'm comfortably in the very good to excellent range. But then I saw how it changes. All I did was fucking switch cell phone providers, and since they did a mandatory credit check to ensure that I could be billed monthly, my credit score went down by like 40 points, just like that, lol. Someone does a mandatory check to make sure your score is high enough to be a regular customer, and the score plummets because they do it. It's fucking ludicrous. I don't even understand how that's legal.
    Yep, and I think mine reached the mid 700's once but it usually hovers around the high 600's which I never understood.  I've met people who are way more careless than I am with money and paying bills and their score is higher than mine.  How?  One guy I know actually had a score 50 pts higher than me but had $40k in credit card debt.  At the time I had no debt and carried a flawless record for several years. I don't understand it at all.
    How deep you're in debt has nothing to do with it, and yeah, that's idiotic. It's just about being clever with your payments. Obviously the banks WANT you to be in massive credit card debt. That's how they make money. Really, you don't even exist as far as the financial system is concerned if you haven't been in debt at some point. That's why not having any credit card is harmful to people - the banks make sure we NEED one now (I tried to fight this and not have one for years... that plan fucked me in the end). They also just want to make sure you don't get your credit cards cancelled and the balance sent to collections by not paying at all. The credit score is a way to make sure you keep up your debt AND keep paying them all that interest. To tie that strategy to shit like being able to find a place to live is reprehensible.
    Obviously, though, the best method is to have a credit card, to use your credit card often, but to always pay it off (on time obviously), or at least to never have a balance bigger than, say, one pay cheque on it. Ever. That will keep your credit score really high and keep you from getting into debt trouble. Oh, and of course to pay the full amount of all your utility and mortgage bills. Utility bills aren't always connected to your credit score, but they are often enough.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I've decided that any post-service billings I receive from now on are going in the fucking trash.  I don't care if every single bill goes to collections from now on, other than co-pays & prescriptions I am not paying a single fucking penny beyond what comes out of my paycheck.  Fuck your deductible, fuck your claim denials, and fuck you.  When the United States can get its head out of it's ass and shows it actually cares about the well-being of ALL its citizens, I'll cooperate.  Every other developed nation on this god damn planet has this shit figured out except us.  Greed. Greed. Greed.
    What will happen to you if you do this? What are the legal or financial consequences?
    Haha. I often wonder about credit scores... I mean, it seems to really really matter if you plan on making big purchases. Like for mortgages and car loans. It also matters to some landlords, so renters need to keep it up (that's the main reason it matters to me). Now that you can see credit scores for free, I've been seeing what mine is for the first time in my life... I was pleased to see mine from the high-700s to the mid-800s, depending on which credit rating agency's score it is. So great. I'm comfortably in the very good to excellent range. But then I saw how it changes. All I did was fucking switch cell phone providers, and since they did a mandatory credit check to ensure that I could be billed monthly, my credit score went down by like 40 points, just like that, lol. Someone does a mandatory check to make sure your score is high enough to be a regular customer, and the score plummets because they do it. It's fucking ludicrous. I don't even understand how that's legal.
    It's all fucking stupid and is really only meant to keep poor people poor. We paid for our last vehicle in cash so we avoided the credit score scam-athon. The only time I every really need to use it is when buying a home. I can't Dave Ramsey that shit yet. It really is a joke though, just because we don't use credit cards and incur debt my credit score isn't as high as it could be even though I never miss a payment on my mortgage since everything is auto-pay these days. And if I really ever did decide to say fuck it, my credit score would be the least of my worries.

As for Dyer's comment, I get it. I don't know how many times I've been threatened by the clinic or hospital with "collections" all because my stupid insurance didn't process something right or my main clinic didn't do their damn job and get our referral over so it was listed as an "out of network" cost. We literally had an appt. back in August that the hospital is still trying to bill on. My wife has called our provider multiple times to send the referral and after the 3rd time now, they sent another confirmation that it has been taken care of. All over a stupid $263 bill. I will say that my coverage is great, but dealing with insurance is just horrible.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's all fucking stupid and is really only meant to keep poor people poor. We paid for our last vehicle in cash so we avoided the credit score scam-athon. The only time I every really need to use it is when buying a home. I can't Dave Ramsey that shit yet. It really is a joke though, just because we don't use credit cards and incur debt my credit score isn't as high as it could be even though I never miss a payment on my mortgage since everything is auto-pay these days. And if I really ever did decide to say fuck it, my credit score would be the least of my worries.

As for Dyer's comment, I get it. I don't know how many times I've been threatened by the clinic or hospital with "collections" all because my stupid insurance didn't process something right or my main clinic didn't do their damn job and get our referral over so it was listed as an "out of network" cost. We literally had an appt. back in August that the hospital is still trying to bill on. My wife has called our provider multiple times to send the referral and after the 3rd time now, they sent another confirmation that it has been taken care of. All over a stupid $263 bill. I will say that my coverage is great, but dealing with insurance is just horrible.
    I can't tell you how many times I've been sent to collections, paid it, then got a refund because I paid it twice.  I'm a fucking CPA and can't keep track of this shit.  

Our local hospital group assigns a different account number to our family every time my wife or one of my daughters go to the doctor.  So If I use online billpay through my bank to pay them I have to go in and edit the fucking account number every time I make a payment.  Otherwise I get sent to collections for not pay the bill under the NEW account number and get a refund on my OLD account number because I didn't owe them anything under that fucking account.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    edited December 2018
    So they never come after people who never pay except via bad bad credit and collections notices??? Like, no criminal charges eventually? No garnished wages? Nothing? I find that surprising...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    So they never come after people who never pay except via bad bad credit and collections notices??? Like, no criminal charges eventually? No garnished wages? Nothing? I find that surprising...
    They can. But sometimes it is hard. You can get garnished wages or tax refunds withheld. I've never heard of criminal charges, but I'm sure it has happened under certain circumstances.
    But people who live off the government may not have any consequence. My parent's house was broken into and vandalized several years ago. They caught the people, and it was a group of teens who were going from home to home and living there for a few days just trashing the place. They even tried to burn it down but were unsuccessful. Since just about all of them were with single parents on welfare, there was a judgment against the for costs, but no real way to enforce it.   Wages were too low to garnish, and wages too low to pay taxes so nothing to hold. Criminal charges were pressed for the breaking and vandalizing, but nothing extra for not compensating my parents. A middle-class family couldn't get away with that though.
    But something like medical expenses, thats why people go bankrupt. Probably not going to be successful going after 100k of medical bills when the person only makes 60k a year. Thats why medical bills are the #1 cause for bankruptcy, or so I hear all the time.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    They can. But sometimes it is hard. You can get garnished wages or tax refunds withheld. I've never heard of criminal charges, but I'm sure it has happened under certain circumstances.
    But people who live off the government may not have any consequence. My parent's house was broken into and vandalized several years ago. They caught the people, and it was a group of teens who were going from home to home and living there for a few days just trashing the place. They even tried to burn it down but were unsuccessful. Since just about all of them were with single parents on welfare, there was a judgment against the for costs, but no real way to enforce it.   Wages were too low to garnish, and wages too low to pay taxes so nothing to hold. Criminal charges were pressed for the breaking and vandalizing, but nothing extra for not compensating my parents. A middle-class family couldn't get away with that though.
    Hmmm.
    Dyer, if I were you I'd think twice about not paying these bills!
    And yes, how deep in debt you are has little to nothing to do with your score. But a higher debt will make definitely it less likely to get approved for a loan if you're looking to buy a house and car. And if you're concerned about your credit you probably plan on making one of those big purchases in the future. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I just wish in Canada they would add pharma care and dental.  Many people, including seniors, struggle to afford these service.  However, seniors do get pharma covered.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I just wish in Canada they would add pharma care and dental.  Many people, including seniors, struggle to afford these service.  However, seniors do get pharma covered.
    Yeah, pharmacare is a thing in BC. Not in Ontario?? But yes, dental is a terrible problem for seniors. Most adults have at least some dental coverage through work (mine is 80% basic and 50% ortho and major), but it's a TERRIBLE burden for seniors. The cost of dental insurance for seniors is too high for most to pay, and obviously just paying for dental out of pocket is impossible for many seniors too... So many of them just have to sit there and deal with their teeth rotting out of their heads. It's terrible. I think dental should be at least partially covered under the MSP.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, pharmacare is a thing in BC. Not in Ontario?? But yes, dental is a terrible problem for seniors. Most adults have at least some dental coverage through work (mine is 80% basic and 50% ortho and major), but it's a TERRIBLE burden for seniors. The cost of dental insurance for seniors is too high for most to pay, and obviously just paying for dental out of pocket is impossible for many seniors too... So many of them just have to sit there and deal with their teeth rotting out of their heads. It's terrible. I think dental should be at least partially covered under the MSP.
    We have no pharma care, only if you have insurance.  Yes, most work does offer this, however, some employers played dirty after minimum wage went to 14/hour and slashed benefits, most notably Tim Hortons, I do believe corporate made the franchisees reinstate full benefits, then they just cut hours...It's sad, the lowest income people can't win sometimes.  However, a McDonald's employee told me that their benefits and hours were untouched...so that was good.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    PJ_Soul said:
    and dental care can prevent other health problems....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, which is why I don't understand how they are getting away with separating it with basic healthcare coverage completely.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, which is why I don't understand how they are getting away with separating it with basic healthcare coverage completely.
    In Ontario, if you do not have private insurance you are on your own as far as pharma, dental, chiropractor, physiotherapy, podiatrist and I'm sure I am leaving some services out...In all my years in Ontario, they delist services covered, but never add.  It's not like this province can't afford it, we just need to prioritize it.  Private Insurance for our healthcare needs is wrong.  When I had private insurance, I have even had prescriptions denied because the pharmacy did not go with a cheaper generic brand, went to complain at the pharmacy, was told that their system said my insurance would cover it...but they didn't.  I could never imagine dealing with an insurance company over a DR. visit or routine test.  Jeesh.  What the hell is the matter with Americans?  Maybe you need to take to the streets like in Paris instead of posting idiotic comments on facebook.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    In Ontario, if you do not have private insurance you are on your own as far as pharma, dental, chiropractor, physiotherapy, podiatrist and I'm sure I am leaving some services out...In all my years in Ontario, they delist services covered, but never add.  It's not like this province can't afford it, we just need to prioritize it.  Private Insurance for our healthcare needs is wrong.  When I had private insurance, I have even had prescriptions denied because the pharmacy did not go with a cheaper generic brand, went to complain at the pharmacy, was told that their system said my insurance would cover it...but they didn't.  I could never imagine dealing with an insurance company over a DR. visit or routine test.  Jeesh.  What the hell is the matter with Americans?  Maybe you need to take to the streets like in Paris instead of posting idiotic comments on facebook.
    We have a real problem with not being able to understand a problem until it happens to us directly.

If we don't have a pre-existing condition we tend to not give a shit about people that do.  We don't think it is fair to have to pay higher insurance premiums to help cover them since we are more healthy. 

I have an FB "friend" that was a pretty rabid republican 10 years or so ago.  She developed bone cancer about 6 years ago...luckily she seems to be doing ok but she is now a proud advocate of the ACA.  She knows that she would have been kicked to the curb by whatever coverage she had prior to being diagnosed.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    This is an unfortunate turn of events.

Federal judge in Texas strikes down Affordable Care Act

It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:

seems a touch contrary to the scotus ruling.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Today you can still sign up for ACÁ 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    lol - you mean the TX ruling didn't just shut it down overnight?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    We have a real problem with not being able to understand a problem until it happens to us directly.

If we don't have a pre-existing condition we tend to not give a shit about people that do.  We don't think it is fair to have to pay higher insurance premiums to help cover them since we are more healthy. 

I have an FB "friend" that was a pretty rabid republican 10 years or so ago.  She developed bone cancer about 6 years ago...luckily she seems to be doing ok but she is now a proud advocate of the ACA.  She knows that she would have been kicked to the curb by whatever coverage she had prior to being diagnosed.
    Bone cancer is awful, that is good that your friend is doing well.  I think the ACA is a joke because the insurance companies art still involved.

You have to get health coverage removed from the insurance industry.  Insurance companies and people who work in the insurance industry have no souls...

You saw in Paris what happens when people take to the streets, change can happen.  Peaceful protest DO NOT work.  

Here is how it works where I live, Dr., Hospital, a test I just show my health card and am never bothered with a bill...that allows sick people to get better without fighting the loser insurance industry.  And I do not care if someone on these boards works in the insurance industry and is offended.  They can get a job that doesn't constantly fuck people...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    This is a fucking protest, not those fake protest that Americans love.  Seriously you Americans need to get off your ass to get real health care.  Is health care not worth a few days or weeks away from work?

Give Peas A Chance…
    tbergs said:

seems a touch contrary to the scotus ruling.......

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    edited December 2018
    CM189191 said:
    lol - you mean the TX ruling didn't just shut it down overnight?
    Well Baffoon would rather 15 to 20 million go without healthcare..
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    edited December 2018
    This is a fucking protest, not those fake protest that Americans love.  Seriously you Americans need to get off your ass to get real health care.  Is health care not worth a few days or weeks away from work?

I think the problem is more to do with what mrussel mentioned above. There's an alarming tendency to think "it could never happen to me, so why should I care?" and obviously, that's false - but there's plenty of data available to disprove the notion for anyone with the capacity for critical thought.

I feel there are a few situations and reasons for the lack of change or concern:

1) They've heard the arguments and don't understand them (lack of critical thought abilities/intelligence)
    2) They've been convinced by an entity that an alternative speaker's opinion is destructive or wrong, and value that entity too much to consider otherwise (blind faith to undue thought controllers)
    3) They don't want to be exposed to logic, knowing they are illogical and don't want to re-evaluate their allegiances (ego)
    4) They don't believe there could be something better (apathy)
    5) They've heard the arguments and don't understand them (poorly communicated facts)

I also feel that most of these stem from point 1, or at least would be greatly curbed by focusing on point 1. We have less blind faith if we think critically. We have less resistance to having perspectives changed when we think critically. No comment on critical thinking and the belief in improvement, and point 5 would be curbed because it wouldn't be ignored facts, it would be a discussion leading to improvement. 
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    U.S. Senator Rand Paul to travel to Canada for hernia surgery after neighbour's attack

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/sen-rand-paul-scheduled-to-have-hernia-surgery-in-canada?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2dpzFFh720fGNcvpjO7hwzoUqIyt0edzsc5Qo3yLSv8pWJHDzxlTZ0mZU#Echobox=1547490860

Interesting.  Just a guess here, but there is a private hernia clinic near Toronto that sees US patients.  I know this because a Teacher I worked with had his hernia surgery there and is suppose to be top notch in repairing a hernia and he was surprised that so many Americans were there.  Still interesting.

A Paul spokeswoman didn’t immediately explain why Paul is having the surgery in Canada, where medical care is publicly funded and universally provided. Paul touts private-market approaches for U.S. health care problems.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    U.S. Senator Rand Paul to travel to Canada for hernia surgery after neighbour's attack

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/sen-rand-paul-scheduled-to-have-hernia-surgery-in-canada?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2dpzFFh720fGNcvpjO7hwzoUqIyt0edzsc5Qo3yLSv8pWJHDzxlTZ0mZU#Echobox=1547490860

Interesting.  Just a guess here, but there is a private hernia clinic near Toronto that sees US patients.  I know this because a Teacher I worked with had his hernia surgery there and is suppose to be top notch in repairing a hernia and he was surprised that so many Americans were there.  Still interesting.

A Paul spokeswoman didn’t immediately explain why Paul is having the surgery in Canada, where medical care is publicly funded and universally provided. Paul touts private-market approaches for U.S. health care problems.
    Interesting! I'll be curious if he gives a reason. He can certainly get hernia surgery at any hospital in the US, so there has to be a reason why he picked a Canadian hospital and Canadian doctor to perform the surgery. And I'm guessing he'll have to pay for it out of pocket. Doesn't make a lot of sense on the surface. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

Interesting! I'll be curious if he gives a reason. He can certainly get hernia surgery at any hospital in the US, so there has to be a reason why he picked a Canadian hospital and Canadian doctor to perform the surgery. And I'm guessing he'll have to pay for it out of pocket. Doesn't make a lot of sense on the surface. 
    I am assuming that since he is not a Canadian resident or citizen, he is not covered by their healthcare? 
    jeffbr said:

It's been confirmed that it is a private clinic.  The clinic is one of the very best at repairing a hernia.  The teacher I know that had it done at a private clinic told me the Americans get it done here because the cost is far less.  I am assuming Rand Paul has no insurance?  Or is he still an employed politician.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mace1229 said:
    jeffbr said:

I am assuming that since he is not a Canadian resident or citizen, he is not covered by their healthcare? 
    You are correct.  The only reason he is getting that done here is that it's a private clinic. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

This is a really odd and inexplicable move, there's no reason this makes any sense for him lol 
    I would say that his constituents will be displeased, but the mental gymnastic capabilities of libertarians are unmatched.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

This is a really odd and inexplicable move, there's no reason this makes any sense for him lol 
    I would say that his constituents will be displeased, but the mental gymnastic capabilities of libertarians are unmatched.
    My only guess, and that is exactly all it is, is that there is some top surgeon/dr he wanted to see and he makes enough in politics to not care about paying out of pocket for it. Even though he has great insurance and probably would have been next to nothing if done here.