Options

Obamacare ACA (Affordable Care Act)

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm glad to say that my premiums are only going up about 10% in January....
    Is only 10% good?
    My premiums have gone up from $501 to $840 in 4 years...
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?
    My premiums started at $501 a month in 2014.  They have had bigger increases over the last 2 years hence why it will now be $840 a month.

Anyone on the conservative side does not like the thought of Universal Healthcare and thinks it will bankrupt the country.

I don't think it will.

I always hear the same arguments as to other countries are failing that have them or that they come here to the states to have operations...
  • Options

I always hear the same arguments as to other countries are failing that have them or that they come here to the states to have operations...
    Hear from where? Statistics do not point to that. And everyone sharing the burden of Healthcare costs, and without the private incentive to cash out - the natural thing would be to lower costs. 

And who can afford to go to the states for operations? The 1%? 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?
    My premiums started at $501 a month in 2014.  They have had bigger increases over the last 2 years hence why it will now be $840 a month.

Anyone on the conservative side does not like the thought of Universal Healthcare and thinks it will bankrupt the country.

I don't think it will.

Your monthly health insurance premium is around the same amount that I pay for rent (taking the dollar conversion into account) ..... I'm not sure if you understand just how fucking shocking the amount people pay for this is to Canadians, lol. Like, it's almost hard to believe, even though I believe you. I just don't really get how Americans are actually putting up with this at all. It's very bizarre. If they will put up with this, what WON'T they put up with??
    Um, well, I mean, congrats on earning enough money to actually be able to pay this I guess, lol.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Human health and healing should not be a profit driven endeavor... it should be a universal right for all
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    Is only 10% good?
    yes....since 1998 it has gone up about 20% annually except for the first year of the ACA
    Wow.  You really need universal health care.  
    That would save trillions of dollars....yes I would like that
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?

I don't think it will.

geez - How many families are you insuring?  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    edited December 2018
    CM189191 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?

I don't think it will.

That is obamacare and only just me...A family plan is like $1800 a month.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?

I don't think it will.

Your monthly health insurance premium is around the same amount that I pay for rent (taking the dollar conversion into account) ..... I'm not sure if you understand just how fucking shocking the amount people pay for this is to Canadians, lol. Like, it's almost hard to believe, even though I believe you. I just don't really get how Americans are actually putting up with this at all. It's very bizarre. If they will put up with this, what WON'T they put up with??
    Um, well, I mean, congrats on earning enough money to actually be able to pay this I guess, lol.

Rent?  I live in NY so that is another story...
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?

I don't think it will.

Omg. I thought you meant for your whole family.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?

I don't think it will.

What sucks is that a single mom who makes more than $40K/year pays the same premium as a single mom who makes $300K/year.  Kind of odd.

A single mom who makes less than $40k/year can get subsidies that help take care of a lot of the premium

Our system is so fucked up it is criminal.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Is only 10% good?
    yes....since 1998 it has gone up about 20% annually except for the first year of the ACA
    I'm guessing the insurance do a great lobbying job.  That's too bad, profiting off people health issues.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Is only 10% good?
    I'm guessing the insurance do a great lobbying job.  That's too bad, profiting off people health issues.
    Yes they do...it's insane.  What's even more insane is that the right wingers that are so incensed of the government telling them what to do in any way shape or form are perfectly fine with having insurance companies make medical decisions for them.

• Options
    CM189191 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?

I don't think it will.

Yeah my new premiums is around $1,400/month for four of us.  $15K deductible....murikkka

• Options
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?

I don't think it will.

What sucks is that a single mom who makes more than $40K/year pays the same premium as a single mom who makes $300K/year.  Kind of odd.

A single mom who makes less than $40k/year can get subsidies that help take care of a lot of the premium

Yes, I literally consider it a human rights violation.... But Americans don't seem too mad about it, do they? I would expect to see rioting in the streets and elections ALL about this issue. But that isn't the case at all.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?

I don't think it will.

Yes, I literally consider it a human rights violation.... But Americans don't seem too mad about it, do they? I would expect to see rioting in the streets and elections ALL about this issue. But that isn't the case at all.
    It's crazy because the people that opposed the ACA most vocally are likely the people that qualify for the subsidies and get the majority of their premium paid for by the government.  

Polling about the issue was hilarious.  People hated Obamacare (the ACA) but loved the ACA.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?

I don't think it will.

It's crazy because the people that opposed the ACA most vocally are likely the people that qualify for the subsidies and get the majority of their premium paid for by the government.  

Polling about the issue was hilarious.  People hated Obamacare (the ACA) but loved the ACA.
    Calling the ACA Obamacare was one of the smartest and worst things the GOP ever did. They very deliberately coined that term to make Republicans hate it more. And WOW, did that ever work well. The reaction of the public to that will likely be touched upon in the "History of Idiocracy" book that someone might still be smart enough to write in 200 years.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?

I don't think it will.

Calling the ACA Obamacare was one of the smartest and worst things the GOP ever did. They very deliberately coined that term to make Republicans hate it more. And WOW, did that ever work well. The reaction of the public to that will likely be touched upon in the "History of Idiocracy" book that someone might still be smart enough to write in 200 years.
    I was excited to get healthcare but was appalled at the cost.

There is no way that we can't figure out a way to make this work...
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is only 10% good?
    .... per year?
    Is only 10% good?
    A month?

I don't think it will.

I was excited to get healthcare but was appalled at the cost.

There is no way that we can't figure out a way to make this work...
    No, there is literally no such thing as a for-profit healthcare system that works for everyone. It's impossible.
  • Options
    It's such a stupid system.  Luckily I have been very healthy and haven't had to use much of our system.  

My most recent doctor visit was $121.  Very reasonable in my opinion.  It was a brief visit where he went over my blood tests and checked out my blood pressure monitor to make sure it worked well.

So...I pay him $30, my co-pay.  Then in a few weeks I'll get about 10 pages of shit from my insurance company saying that they processed the $121 bill and that I will owe the doctor $91 since I haven't met my deductible yet.  But the 10 pages from the insurance company is "NOT A BILL" which is marked very clearly on the 10 pages.  

A week or so after that I will get a $91 bill from my doctor for the balance.

Stupidest fucking system on the planet.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    That is awful. Especially for those who don't have any money to spare. Those are the ones who won't go to the doctor because they don't have $121 or $30 because they need it for food or gas or whatever. And then they'll get REALLY sick because they never saw a doctor soon enough, and then they suffer and eventually die. Just because they don't have money to spare. Hence the human rights violation.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    That is awful. Especially for those who don't have any money to spare. Those are the ones who won't go to the doctor because they don't have $121 or $30 because they need it for food or gas or whatever. And then they'll get REALLY sick because they never saw a doctor soon enough, and then they suffer and eventually die. Just because they don't have money to spare. Hence the human rights violation.
    Yep....and the tRump admin is doing everything it can to keep people from signing up.  They don't advertise much at all anymore.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I've decided that any post-service billings I receive from now on are going in the fucking trash.  I don't care if every single bill goes to collections from now on, other than co-pays & prescriptions I am not paying a single fucking penny beyond what comes out of my paycheck.  Fuck your deductible, fuck your claim denials, and fuck you.  When the United States can get its head out of it's ass and shows it actually cares about the well-being of ALL its citizens, I'll cooperate.  Every other developed nation on this god damn planet has this shit figured out except us.  Greed. Greed. Greed.
  • Options
    I've decided that any post-service billings I receive from now on are going in the fucking trash.  I don't care if every single bill goes to collections from now on, other than co-pays & prescriptions I am not paying a single fucking penny beyond what comes out of my paycheck.  Fuck your deductible, fuck your claim denials, and fuck you.  When the United States can get its head out of it's ass and shows it actually cares about the well-being of ALL its citizens, I'll cooperate.  Every other developed nation on this god damn planet has this shit figured out except us.  Greed. Greed. Greed.
    What will happen to you if you do this? What are the legal or financial consequences?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    What will happen to you if you do this? What are the legal or financial consequences?
    My credit score will drop.  Also a big fucking scam.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Haha. I often wonder about credit scores... I mean, it seems to really really matter if you plan on making big purchases. Like for mortgages and car loans. It also matters to some landlords, so renters need to keep it up (that's the main reason it matters to me). Now that you can see credit scores for free, I've been seeing what mine is for the first time in my life... I was pleased to see mine from the high-700s to the mid-800s, depending on which credit rating agency's score it is. So great. I'm comfortably in the very good to excellent range. But then I saw how it changes. All I did was fucking switch cell phone providers, and since they did a mandatory credit check to ensure that I could be billed monthly, my credit score went down by like 40 points, just like that, lol. Someone does a mandatory check to make sure your score is high enough to be a regular customer, and the score plummets because they do it. It's fucking ludicrous. I don't even understand how that's legal.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Not every country on the planet has got it figured out, at all. In Ireland we have a serious shortage of hospital beds. People get discharged early.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Not every country on the planet has got it figured out, at all. In Ireland we have a serious shortage of hospital beds. People get discharged early.
    No country on Earth has a perfect healthcare system. Nobody is claiming that. But the American one is particularly problematic and morally heinous because of the money thing. And I'd say that getting discharged early is still a hell of a lot better than never going to the hospital at all when you need to because you can't afford it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Haha. I often wonder about credit scores... I mean, it seems to really really matter if you plan on making big purchases. Like for mortgages and car loans. It also matters to some landlords, so renters need to keep it up (that's the main reason it matters to me). Now that you can see credit scores for free, I've been seeing what mine is for the first time in my life... I was pleased to see mine from the high-700s to the mid-800s, depending on which credit rating agency's score it is. So great. I'm comfortably in the very good to excellent range. But then I saw how it changes. All I did was fucking switch cell phone providers, and since they did a mandatory credit check to ensure that I could be billed monthly, my credit score went down by like 40 points, just like that, lol. Someone does a mandatory check to make sure your score is high enough to be a regular customer, and the score plummets because they do it. It's fucking ludicrous. I don't even understand how that's legal.
    Yep, and I think mine reached the mid 700's once but it usually hovers around the high 600's which I never understood.  I've met people who are way more careless than I am with money and paying bills and their score is higher than mine.  How?  One guy I know actually had a score 50 pts higher than me but had $40k in credit card debt.  At the time I had no debt and carried a flawless record for several years. I don't understand it at all.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,991