Kevin Hart Announced as Oscar Host....Stepped Down a Day Later

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807
    RiotZact said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I don't know what he said, when he said it, how he apologized, or whether he's made similar jokes since.  So I don't have strong feelings about this whole thing.

I will say this, though, "it's comedy" is about the weakest defense for legitimate bigotry there is...I saw it a lot (by keyboard SJW-defeaters, of course) in defense of Michael Richards dropping N-bombs.
    It’s not a defense it’s a fact. There are extremely few circumstances where a joke goes “too far”, in my opinion. This is not even close to being one of those instances. 

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kevin Hart cracks me up, this world is getting way too pc.  I read an article this morning that they want to get rid of rudolph the red nosed reindeer because it is an example of bullying.  Baby it is cold outside is being removed from radio stations because of the lyrics.  The wussification of the world continues.

I love what Hart said:  
    Hart answered the outrage with a video Thursday, stating: “I swear, man, our world is becoming beyond crazy. And I’m not gonna let the craziness frustrate me or anger me, especially when I’ve worked hard to get to the mental space that I am at now. My team calls me. ‘Oh my god, Kevin. The world is upset by tweets you did years ago.’ My god. Guys – I’m almost 40 years old. If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don’t know what to tell you. If you wanna hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then … I’m the wrong guy, man. I’m in a great place. A great, mature place, where all I do is spread positivity. If you’re not doing that, you’re not on my page.”
    “The same energy that went into finding those old tweets could be the same energy put into finding the response to the questions that have been asked years after years after years,” said Hart in the video. “We feed into internet trolls, and we reward them. I’m not gonna do it, man. I’m gonna be me, and I’m gonna stand my ground. Regardless, Academy, I’m thankful and appreciative of the opportunity. If it goes away, no harm no foul.”  
    I think that Rudolph thing was just one guy explaining in some op-ed the ills of that show in today's world. some of it was right, some of it was "meh". I have always thought, even before the PC-age, that Rudolph was a terrible message to kids. Basically waht it says is "it's not ok to be different until we need something from you". 
    On one hand, Rudolph is mistreated for being different and then essentially used when his difference comes in handy.  However, consider this: "PC! SJW! Keep your hands off of Rudolph!"
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,199
    OnWis97 said:
    RiotZact said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I don't know what he said, when he said it, how he apologized, or whether he's made similar jokes since.  So I don't have strong feelings about this whole thing.

I will say this, though, "it's comedy" is about the weakest defense for legitimate bigotry there is...I saw it a lot (by keyboard SJW-defeaters, of course) in defense of Michael Richards dropping N-bombs.
    It’s not a defense it’s a fact. There are extremely few circumstances where a joke goes “too far”, in my opinion. This is not even close to being one of those instances. 

You’re right, I retract the second bolded part. I only added that as not to offend anyone who doesn’t know how to read a dictionary or doesn’t understand that the word “joke” is an antonym for the word “serious”. That’s what I get for worrying about offending people. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kevin Hart cracks me up, this world is getting way too pc.  I read an article this morning that they want to get rid of rudolph the red nosed reindeer because it is an example of bullying.  Baby it is cold outside is being removed from radio stations because of the lyrics.  The wussification of the world continues.

I love what Hart said:  
    Hart answered the outrage with a video Thursday, stating: “I swear, man, our world is becoming beyond crazy. And I’m not gonna let the craziness frustrate me or anger me, especially when I’ve worked hard to get to the mental space that I am at now. My team calls me. ‘Oh my god, Kevin. The world is upset by tweets you did years ago.’ My god. Guys – I’m almost 40 years old. If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don’t know what to tell you. If you wanna hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then … I’m the wrong guy, man. I’m in a great place. A great, mature place, where all I do is spread positivity. If you’re not doing that, you’re not on my page.”
    “The same energy that went into finding those old tweets could be the same energy put into finding the response to the questions that have been asked years after years after years,” said Hart in the video. “We feed into internet trolls, and we reward them. I’m not gonna do it, man. I’m gonna be me, and I’m gonna stand my ground. Regardless, Academy, I’m thankful and appreciative of the opportunity. If it goes away, no harm no foul.”  
    I think that Rudolph thing was just one guy explaining in some op-ed the ills of that show in today's world. some of it was right, some of it was "meh". I have always thought, even before the PC-age, that Rudolph was a terrible message to kids. Basically waht it says is "it's not ok to be different until we need something from you". 
    I don't think Rudolph's target audience has the ability to think that critically.  To them it's just a cute reindeer saving Christmas.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    mcgruff10 said:

I love what Hart said:  
    I just heard about Rudolph the red nose reindeer and baby it’s cold outside last night. I thought it was a f’n joke. What in the hell is going on in this world that Rudolph has somehow become a bad thing? Wake me up when this nightmare is over. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    I teach my kids that there are winners and losers in life. You don’t get a trophy for showing up. I’m in the minority, sadly. 
    RiotZact said:
    OnWis97 said:
    RiotZact said:
    OnWis97 said:

You’re right, I retract the second bolded part. I only added that as not to offend anyone who doesn’t know how to read a dictionary or doesn’t understand that the word “joke” is an antonym for the word “serious”. That’s what I get for worrying about offending people. 
    Actually, I think it's the first part that you should retract.  I don't really think there's anything factual...it is your opinion.  It's the majority opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:

I love what Hart said:  
    I don't think Rudolph's target audience has the ability to think that critically.  To them it's just a cute reindeer saving Christmas.
    oh absolutely. It didn't dawn on me until years later. when I watched it as a kid, I didn't think of it that way at all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    edited December 2018
    bbiggs said:
    I teach my kids that there are winners and losers in life. You don’t get a trophy for showing up. I’m in the minority, sadly. 
    You and I think the same bud. The wussification continues. Where will it end?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    bbiggs said:
    it really bothered me when my girls were in soccer or baseball as young kids and at the end of the season every kid got a medal, and no one kept score. on one hand, I suppose it's fine since they were quite young, but there will come a point where they won't get a medal for everything, and it will become confusing. And I think it's a good lesson that someone has to lose a game. Honestly, it took a long time for the loser of any board game in my house not to have a fucking hissy fit if they weren't the winner, and I'm sure "never losing" as a younger child had something to do with it. 

I was in sports as a young kid, and I don't recall getting all sad and whiney when our team would lose. it would build team spirit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

OnWis97 said:
    RiotZact said:
    OnWis97 said:
    RiotZact said:
    OnWis97 said:

Actually, I think it's the first part that you should retract.  I don't really think there's anything factual...it is your opinion.  It's the majority opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.
    No, it is an objective fact that joking is the opposite of being serious, and being offended by something that is the opposite of being serious is objectively nonsensical. 
    bbiggs said:
    it really bothered me when my girls were in soccer or baseball as young kids and at the end of the season every kid got a medal, and no one kept score. on one hand, I suppose it's fine since they were quite young, but there will come a point where they won't get a medal for everything, and it will become confusing. And I think it's a good lesson that someone has to lose a game. Honestly, it took a long time for the loser of any board game in my house not to have a fucking hissy fit if they weren't the winner, and I'm sure "never losing" as a younger child had something to do with it. 

I was in sports as a young kid, and I don't recall getting all sad and whiney when our team would lose. it would build team spirit. 
    I'm old enough to pre-date the whole idea of not keeping score.  And as much as I think the rumors of The Wussification of America are exaggerated, not keeping score is fucking crazy.  At a basic level, the kids are keeping score, anyway.  More importantly, l agree that shielding kids from from minor disappointment is unnecessary and probably does them a disservice in the long run.

In general, I agree with the message that kids should be having fun and "it's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game."  That said, winning or losing games is part of it.  And kids need to learn to do both.  Likewise, they need to learn that neither one is that big of a deal and life goes on roughly the same either way.  They need to accept disappointment and learn to win with dignity.  Parents are probably the real villains.  Some get all gung ho about winning; they yell at umps/refs, complain to coaches about playing time, and send the message that this really is THAT important.  These are the ones that probably beat their kids or shun them if they bring home a B+ report card.  And then others want to re-enforce that their kid is deserving of the accolades. They are the ones that produce the actual wussies or protect their precious kids when they commit crimes and/or bully other kids.

I am kinda OK with everyone gets a trophy...actually I prefer certificates of participation.  It says it's a good thing that you participated...yeah, I did not cherish mine but I like the message that it sends that the involvement is a positive.  Because my kid's* participation is equally valuable whether the team wins the championship or finishes last.  At least it should be.

*Well, I don't have a kid.  Thank god.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    bbiggs said:

Exactly, children losing and failing at simple things opens up the opportunity to teach children so many life lessons in regards to perseverance, commitment, fairness, etc.  It is okay to fail and it is better to get a handle on some of those lessons while young than get inevitably blindsided by them when they are older.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    If Kevin Hart offends you please dont watch Pryor, Eddie, Carlin, Rock, or the current American treasure David Chappelle

Comedians are the most important artists in society, they push the boundaries and make us realize how absurd we are via making us laugh
    my2hands said:
    If Kevin Hart offends you please dont watch Pryor, Eddie, Carlin, Rock, or the current American treasure David Chappelle

Comedians are the most important artists in society, they push the boundaries and make us realize how absurd we are via making us laugh
    Well. Fucking. Said. 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    my2hands said:

Everyone you mentioned above, minus Hart, was/is funny though.
    my2hands said:

No shit, haha!  Kevin Hart is pretty tame in comparison.  I would say that if you are easily offended...stay away from comedy and satire completely.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,516
    Kevin Hart is annoying af.  Bullet dodged.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Nothing funny about Rock...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited December 2018
    RiotZact said:
    dignin said:
    RiotZact said:
    OnWis97 said:

I mostly agree...but only when it's funny and clever. Unfortunately the "joke" in question is neither. Kinda like Kevin Hart.
    Funny is subjective, though. So as long as the person that says the joke says it with the thought that it will make people laugh, then there is literally no reason that you are allowed to be offended by it. Period. I mean you can be offended by it, that’s your right, but you have no comprehension of the words “joke” or “comedy” if you are, and that’s not subjective. 

For the record, I can’t stand Kevin Hart and thought he was a poor choice to host. 
    What if it's a racist joke though? It's about the intent right? Hart apparently admitted that at the time he did believe those homophobic things so at the time I can see why people would be offended. 

I do think if he apologized for those things people should move on. People make mistakes and can change.

Edit: My point being if a racist makes a racist joke it's offensive, if a homophobe makes a homophobic joke it's offensive.

Post edited by dignin on
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,553
    "This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past. I'm sorry that I hurt people... I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart. Much love & appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again."

Seems like a good response.  If more people evolved, there wouldn't be this kind of ruckus.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Haha
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,565
    mcgruff10 said:

I love what Hart said:  
    The whole Christmas song thing has been blown up by the media to feed a polarized narrative. People get sucked into it and then react with statements about it going ‘too far’ and blah blah about ‘pc culture’. The right wingers take anecdotal stories and then say they are a trend so they will constantly feel like they are in a struggle and their way of life is threatened. 
    bbiggs said:
    How do you figure your in the minority?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    bbiggs said:

I played little league when I was a kid.  When we lost we had to run laps around the field while the winning team watched from their dugout and laughed at us.  Don't want to run laps and get heckled?  Practice more, play harder, & win.
    bbiggs said:

I played little league when I was a kid.  When we lost we had to run laps around the field while the winning team watched from their dugout and laughed at us.  Don't want to run laps and get heckled?  Practice more, play harder, & win.
    my volleyball coach (my brother) once made the entire team do manmakers at the next practice after a game. not because we lost, but because we didn't show effort. I have no issue with that. I do have an issue with punishment for losing.  I think that sends the wrong message. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Do people think kids are less competitive now? I don’t think that’s the case at all. 
  • More talented people than Kevin Hart have lost gigs over less. Also, if you read those tweets, they're not jokes. They're statements. Look at this shit:

"“Yo if my son comes home & try’s 2 play with my daughters doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay.”

What's the point of even saying that?  Did someone ask him what he'd do if his son comes home and tries to play with his daughter's toys? Probably not right? So you'd have to be a pretty fucking insane to just tweet that because you were thinking it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    mcgruff10 said:

I love what Hart said:  
    Explains why I havent heard Baby Its Cold Outside this year, but heard every other popular song about 20 times.
    Was one of the few I actually liked too. That's so stupid if the radio pulled it. I remember when there was uproar over Weezer's No One Else.