Kevin Hart Announced as Oscar Host....Stepped Down a Day Later

1235»

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:
    Man this world is wacky. This song just highlighted the norms for the time. It has perfectly acceptable and humorous relationship dynamics for that day and age. It was a time when women had some independence but still had to maintain their image of a "good girl". So rather than enthusiastically following her dreams or desires, she was required to maintain a degree of temperance. They were both playing the game. Some flirty back and forth. She wasn't uncomfortable, she wasn't being forced to do anything, and anyone thinking this song had anything to do with slipping a roofie into drink must have been born after 2005. Christ. Watch a few old movies. Talk to your parents and grandparents. Talk to anyone over 50 years old. This was a harmless and fun song.

If this was a contemporary song, then sure, I'd have some problems with it. But to be offended with the social norms of a different time is a rabbit hole. I don't know of any time in the past that I'd be comfortable in, knowing what I know now. So all of history, all interpersonal relationships in the past, every country, every culture, every individual from the past would likely cause offense to someone today. Rather than look for reasons to be offended, how about trying to use perspective.
    Said from a guy’s point of view....
    Said from a person with perspective farther back than 2 years ago. I'm over 50 and remember when TV was in black and white. This song is harmless. If you find offense, that is entirely your problem to deal with. I won't apologize for recognizing and understanding the social norms of the 40's and 50's.

No one's talking about going back in a time machine and banning it in the 50s.

The issue of what were the norms in the 40s and 50s is irrelevant to the discussion of what happens with it now. Many things that were acceptable in the 40s are not now. If a song from the 40s involved overt racism, would you tell people "that's entirely your problem to deal with"? How do you stand on pro-Confederate monuments? They were certainly part of the norms of the times.

Norms change over time.

And FYI, I never said I was offended, or that I was in favour of it being banned; just that, reading the lyrics, I find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't see them as a guy pressuring a woman to do more than she wanted to and not taking no for an answer. 
    The difference between this and the confederate issue, in my opinion, is interpretation. the issue of racism is a lot more black and white (hardee har) than interpersonal relationships in a song. 

and do we really believe that slavery can be compared to a woman unsure about the sexual advances of a man she's in the company of?
    I am not making that comparison at all. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:

That's pretty good.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I think Stephen Colbert would be a good choice. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I’m always uncomfortable whenever anyone says it, so I found that exchange cringeworthy. It’s less so when Chris Rock says it then Louis C.K.  

Although I think an open discussion about using that term with those guys (might have been better to have another black comedian for more perspective) would be fascinating. I wish they could have had a serious discussion.

hippiemom = goodness
    I’m always uncomfortable whenever anyone says it, so I found that exchange cringeworthy. It’s less so when Chris Rock says it then Louis C.K.  

Although I think an open discussion about using that term with those guys (might have been better to have another black comedian for more perspective) would be fascinating. I wish they could have had a serious discussion.

Thanks for your input.  I am always at a loss at what to say.  Chris Rock didn't seem to mind.  Of course, the word always bothers me.  It would be interesting to get fresh input from the 4 involved.  Maybe they can provide more clarity on the conversation.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

Thanks for your input.  I am always at a loss at what to say.  Chris Rock didn't seem to mind.  Of course, the word always bothers me.  It would be interesting to get fresh input from the 4 involved.  Maybe they can provide more clarity on the conversation.  
    Yup. And I think it would be terrific to be able to discuss without people getting crazy upset about the discussion.

hippiemom = goodness

Yup. And I think it would be terrific to be able to discuss without people getting crazy upset about the discussion.

Yes, I agree.  If it was 4 white comedians only, then people could get really upset.  But it did not bother Chris Rock at all.  So, some more perspective would be beneficial.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    edited December 2018
    Im sorry but if you’re concerned as to who host the Oscars I say you need to get out more , Marlon Brandon comes to mind ! 
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Stumbled upon this version of a reworked "Baby It's Cold Outside" on a Christmas playlist this morning and thought it was pretty funny. 

"How about the Cheesecake Factory....?"

Give its 2:05 a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amK4U4pCTB8
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf