Kevin Hart Announced as Oscar Host....Stepped Down a Day Later

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kevin Hart cracks me up, this world is getting way too pc.  I read an article this morning that they want to get rid of rudolph the red nosed reindeer because it is an example of bullying.  Baby it is cold outside is being removed from radio stations because of the lyrics.  The wussification of the world continues.

I love what Hart said:  
    Hart answered the outrage with a video Thursday, stating: “I swear, man, our world is becoming beyond crazy. And I’m not gonna let the craziness frustrate me or anger me, especially when I’ve worked hard to get to the mental space that I am at now. My team calls me. ‘Oh my god, Kevin. The world is upset by tweets you did years ago.’ My god. Guys – I’m almost 40 years old. If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don’t know what to tell you. If you wanna hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then … I’m the wrong guy, man. I’m in a great place. A great, mature place, where all I do is spread positivity. If you’re not doing that, you’re not on my page.”
    “The same energy that went into finding those old tweets could be the same energy put into finding the response to the questions that have been asked years after years after years,” said Hart in the video. “We feed into internet trolls, and we reward them. I’m not gonna do it, man. I’m gonna be me, and I’m gonna stand my ground. Regardless, Academy, I’m thankful and appreciative of the opportunity. If it goes away, no harm no foul.”  
    Explains why I havent heard Baby Its Cold Outside this year, but heard every other popular song about 20 times.
    Was one of the few I actually liked too. That's so stupid if the radio pulled it. I remember when there was uproar over Weezer's No One Else.
    I went to apple music search yesterday, and all the "trending" searches come up. Top of the list? You guessed it. Baby It's Cold Outside. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    bbiggs said:
    I teach my kids that there are winners and losers in life. You don’t get a trophy for showing up. I’m in the minority, sadly. 
    How do you figure your in the minority?
    Society in general seems to be trending in the direction of “everyone gets a trophy.” All that does is lead to mediocrity. Maybe I’m wrong, but my observation is that it has become the new normal and my way of thinking is in the minority. I don’t have hard data to support that, of course. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    bbiggs said:
    I teach my kids that there are winners and losers in life. You don’t get a trophy for showing up. I’m in the minority, sadly. 
    it really bothered me when my girls were in soccer or baseball as young kids and at the end of the season every kid got a medal, and no one kept score. on one hand, I suppose it's fine since they were quite young, but there will come a point where they won't get a medal for everything, and it will become confusing. And I think it's a good lesson that someone has to lose a game. Honestly, it took a long time for the loser of any board game in my house not to have a fucking hissy fit if they weren't the winner, and I'm sure "never losing" as a younger child had something to do with it. 

I was in sports as a young kid, and I don't recall getting all sad and whiney when our team would lose. it would build team spirit. 
    I played little league when I was a kid.  When we lost we had to run laps around the field while the winning team watched from their dugout and laughed at us.  Don't want to run laps and get heckled?  Practice more, play harder, & win.
    Amen, brother. 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Nothing funny about Rock...
    Chris Rock has done some funny shit!
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,199
    More talented people than Kevin Hart have lost gigs over less. Also, if you read those tweets, they're not jokes. They're statements. Look at this shit:

"“Yo if my son comes home & try’s 2 play with my daughters doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay.”

What's the point of even saying that?  Did someone ask him what he'd do if his son comes home and tries to play with his daughter's toys? Probably not right? So you'd have to be a pretty fucking insane to just tweet that because you were thinking it. 
    You MIGHT be able to make the argument that it was meant to be a statement if you take out the part where he says about smashing it over his son’s head. Unless you think he would actually do that, in which case the least of his problems is homophobia. 

I’m not an expert on Hart’s Twitter habits at that point in his career, maybe he did frequently use it to voice his real life opinions on issues, but Twitter is one of the biggest ways that comedians promote themselves by tweeting (what they think are) funny things. 
    I'm waiting to hear what The Rock has to say about all of this. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    The Oscars really ? the Oscars , awards shows are pathetic all of them ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    The Oscars really ? the Oscars , awards shows are pathetic all of them ..
    You sound like a republican, jose! LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Just get Billy Crystal...he is a safe choice.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
     No way, I was offended by city slickers.  The part where they put the gun in the calf’s mouth is way too offensive. I m going to start an online petition. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
     No way, I was offended by city slickers.  The part where they put the gun in the calf’s mouth is way too offensive. I m going to start an online petition. 
    lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mcgruff10 said:
    that only offends people from The Greatest Country On Earth: Sweden. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,119
    Oscars have become predictable.  Just make a movie about having sex with fish people and you are guaranteed a trophy.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552
    Jason P said:
    Oscars have become predictable.  Just make a movie about having sex with fish people and you are guaranteed a trophy.
    I'd never heard of that before so I Googled it.  Apparently it happens.  This is what I found:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    It was never going to happen but I thought that Lady Bird should have gotten Best Picture this year out of the films that were nominated that is.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:
    I'd never heard of that before so I Googled it.  Apparently it happens.  This is what I found:

LOL...that's funny.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kevin Hart cracks me up, this world is getting way too pc.  I read an article this morning that they want to get rid of rudolph the red nosed reindeer because it is an example of bullying.  Baby it is cold outside is being removed from radio stations because of the lyrics.  The wussification of the world continues.

I love what Hart said:  
    Hart answered the outrage with a video Thursday, stating: “I swear, man, our world is becoming beyond crazy. And I’m not gonna let the craziness frustrate me or anger me, especially when I’ve worked hard to get to the mental space that I am at now. My team calls me. ‘Oh my god, Kevin. The world is upset by tweets you did years ago.’ My god. Guys – I’m almost 40 years old. If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don’t know what to tell you. If you wanna hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then … I’m the wrong guy, man. I’m in a great place. A great, mature place, where all I do is spread positivity. If you’re not doing that, you’re not on my page.”
    “The same energy that went into finding those old tweets could be the same energy put into finding the response to the questions that have been asked years after years after years,” said Hart in the video. “We feed into internet trolls, and we reward them. I’m not gonna do it, man. I’m gonna be me, and I’m gonna stand my ground. Regardless, Academy, I’m thankful and appreciative of the opportunity. If it goes away, no harm no foul.”  
    I think that Rudolph thing was just one guy explaining in some op-ed the ills of that show in today's world. some of it was right, some of it was "meh". I have always thought, even before the PC-age, that Rudolph was a terrible message to kids. Basically waht it says is "it's not ok to be different until we need something from you". 
    I don't think Rudolph's target audience has the ability to think that critically.  To them it's just a cute reindeer saving Christmas.
    I wrote my 1st grade thesis on the dark undertones of holiday cartoons.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited December 2018
    I want to know how gay people generally feel about all this. That's really the only relevant factor IMO.

I just hope that they choose to let Ricky Gervais do it. That's the only host that would inspire me to watch. But they won't. They are scared of Ricky Gervais, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:
    That might be the greatest post ever. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    PJ_Soul said:
    I want to know how gay people generally feel about all this. That's really the only relevant factor IMO.

I just hope that they choose to let Ricky Gervais do it. That's the only host that would inspire me to watch. But they won't. They are scared of Ricky Gervais, lol.

Ricky Gervais would be great. Still not gonna watch, though. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    A few thoughts rattling around in my brain on this.

Hart says he has apologized repeatedly and sincerely. One can argue about whether he needed to apologize, and some on here have, but the fact that he insists he has done so genuinely seems an acknowledgement that he needed to; otherwise, he would just stick with the "no need to apologize for humour" position. But has he genuinely apologized? Where's the proof of these repeated, sincere apologies? If the tweets are so easy to find, the apologies should be as well, but I haven't seen any sign of them yet. 

Genuine apologies also require people to make amends where they can. Hart didn't just tweet about not wanting his 3 year old son to be gay, he also has a lengthy bit about it in one of his comedy special, which still runs on Netflix - completely coincidentally, I'm sure. He's still making money from the stuff that he claims to regret. If he was sincere, he'd have already shown it by taking the special off the air. Making money trumps making amends, it seems.

Also, I think this whole thing has been a boost to his career, much more so than hosting the show would have been. If he had hosted there's a reasonable chance he would have bombed with that audience. This way, he gets to play the victim and gets free cache with the crowd that likes to think of itself as non-PC. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,792
    edited December 2018
    nvm
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Comedians make jokes about stereotypes.  Who knew?
    In what way is saying he wouldn't accept his son being gay "joking about stereotypes"?
    That's not what he said.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,792
    edited December 2018
    my2hands said:
    If Kevin Hart offends you please dont watch Pryor, Eddie, Carlin, Rock, or the current American treasure David Chappelle

Comedians are the most important artists in society, they push the boundaries and make us realize how absurd we are via making us laugh
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    If Kevin Hart offends you please dont watch Pryor, Eddie, Carlin, Rock, or the current American treasure David Chappelle

Comedians are the most important artists in society, they push the boundaries and make us realize how absurd we are via making us laugh
    No shit, haha!  Kevin Hart is pretty tame in comparison.  I would say that if you are easily offended...stay away from comedy and satire completely.
    This comes of as pretty damn daft.

Come on now pumpkins.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    my2hands said:

PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:

No shit, haha!  Kevin Hart is pretty tame in comparison.  I would say that if you are easily offended...stay away from comedy and satire completely.
    This comes of as pretty damn daft.

Come on now pumpkins.
    Example #1 ^^^^
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    Comedians make jokes about stereotypes.  Who knew?
    In what way is saying he wouldn't accept his son being gay "joking about stereotypes"?
    That's not what he said.

Point taken but that wasn't the comment being discussed.  Didn't realize he said all that.
    edited December 2018
    That's not what he said.

Point taken but that wasn't the comment being discussed.  Didn't realize he said all that.
    I wonder how in the world he thought he was going to explain that comment if any of his kids really did end up being gay???
    Seriously, for 2010, those comments are pretty fucking bad. If he didn't know better by then and have a different perspective, well, he WAS definitely a homophobe. I can't say if he's reformed now. But if he is... Yeah sorry. Ask the guy how he would feel about someone being in the same situation as him right now, but they'd tweeted about ni**ers or something. Or perhaps if they'd tweeted how they really really didn't want their kid to date a black person. I bet Kevin Hart wouldn't be feeling too forgiving.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    PJ_Soul said:
    That's not what he said.

I wonder how in the world he thought he was going to explain that comment if any of his kids really did end up being gay???
    Seriously, for 2010, those comments are pretty fucking bad. If he didn't know better by then and have a different perspective, well, he WAS definitely a homophobe. I can't say if he's reformed now. But if he is... Yeah sorry. Ask the guy how he would feel about someone being in the same situation as him right now, but they'd tweeted about ni**ers or something. Or perhaps if they'd tweeted how they really really didn't want their kid to date a black person. I bet Kevin Hart wouldn't be feeling too forgiving.
    I kinda hope the kid is gay just to spite his ass now.
    PJ_Soul said:
    That's not what he said.

I kinda hope the kid is gay just to spite his ass now.
    Lol! I know, I thought the same thing!
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    That might be the greatest post ever. 
    i don't think you took it the way i meant it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD