Kevin Hart Announced as Oscar Host....Stepped Down a Day Later

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    That's pretty funny lol
    CBC resumes playing Baby It's Cold Outside after 'overwhelming' response from listeners
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    CBC resumes playing Baby It's Cold Outside after 'overwhelming' response from listeners
    good!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    mcgruff10 said:
    good!
    So fucking dumb to begin with. Have they listened to the lyrics of half the songs on radio before? They promote drugs, sex, alcohol, guns, violence and objectification of women constantly, but god forbid a cheeky winter song be allowed on the air! I had to put up with drivel like Birthday Sex, The Thong Song and Baby Got Back, but this went too far. HAHAHAHA!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    good!
    So fucking dumb to begin with. Have they listened to the lyrics of half the songs on radio before? They promote drugs, sex, alcohol, guns, violence and objectification of women constantly, but god forbid a cheeky winter song be allowed on the air! I had to put up with drivel like Birthday Sex, The Thong Song and Baby Got Back, but this went too far. HAHAHAHA!
    I get it that it's the current social climate with me too and all that, but I just read the lyrics again, and I honestly don't see the issue with it. is it simply that one line about "what's in this drink?", and people are assuming this is a reference to being drugged and raped? that's a pretty big fucking stretch. people ask that question all the time. and it rhymes. 

or is it that the guy seems agressive? he's not harassing her. I don't see it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    good!
    I get it that it's the current social climate with me too and all that, but I just read the lyrics again, and I honestly don't see the issue with it. is it simply that one line about "what's in this drink?", and people are assuming this is a reference to being drugged and raped? that's a pretty big fucking stretch. people ask that question all the time. and it rhymes. 

Me either.  What will be banned next, grandma got ran over by a reindeer? 

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    good!

I really can't stay (But baby it's cold outside)
    I've got to away (But baby it's cold outside)
    This evening has been (Been hoping that you'd drop in)
    So very nice (I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice)
    My mother will start worry (Beautiful whats your hurry)
    My father will be pacing the floor (Listen to the fireplace roar)
    So really I'd better scurry (Beautiful please don't hurry)
    But maybe just a half a drink more (Put some records on while I pour)
    The neighbors might think (Baby it's bad out there)
    Say what's in this drink (No cabs to be had out there)
    I wish I knew how (Your eyes are like starlight now)
    To break this spell (I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell)
    I ought to say "No, no, no sir" (Mind if I move in closer?)
    At least I'm gonna say that I tried (What's the sense in hurtin' my pride?)

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    (Oh, baby don't hold out)
    Baby it's cold out side

[Verse 2]
    I simply must go (But baby it's cold outside)
    The answer is no (But baby it's cold outside)
    Your welcome has been (How lucky that you dropped in)
    So nice and warm (Look out the window at the storm)
    My sister will be suspicious (Gosh your lips look delicious)
    My brother will be there at the door (Waves upon the tropical shore)
    My maiden aunt's mind is vicious (Gosh your lips are delicious)
    But maybe just a cigarette more (Never such a blizzard before)
    I've gotta get home (But baby you'd freeze out there)
    Say lend me a comb (It's up to your knees out there)
    You've really been grand (I thrill when you touch my hand)
    But don't you see? (How can you do this thing to me?)
    There's bound to be talk tomorrow (Think of my lifelong sorrow)
    At least there will be plenty implied (If you got pneumonia and died)

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    (Get over that old out)
    Baby it's cold
    Baby it's cold outside

These are the lyrics. I don't agree with banning it, both because I think it's a slippery slope (maybe an icy one!) and also because there is much worse being broadcast, as someone pointed out, but I don't know how you can read those lyrics and not see that it describes a classic situation of the guy not taking no for an answer, pushing and pushing, until she gives in. She outright says "the answer is no". She has plenty of reasons why she has to go, but he doesn't listen to them. And for what it's worth, at the time that this was written, the situation would have been very costly, socially, for her as she says, but of absolutely no concern to him. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    good!

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    Baby it's cold out side

[Verse 2]

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    (Get over that old out)
    Baby it's cold
    Baby it's cold outside

These are the lyrics. I don't agree with banning it, both because I think it's a slippery slope (maybe an icy one!) and also because there is much worse being broadcast, as someone pointed out, but I don't know how you can read those lyrics and not see that it describes a classic situation of the guy not taking no for an answer, pushing and pushing, until she gives in. She outright says "the answer is no". She has plenty of reasons why she has to go, but he doesn't listen to them. And for what it's worth, at the time that this was written, the situation would have been very costly, socially, for her as she says, but of absolutely no concern to him. 
    yeah, I know, but I think context matters. a lot of entertainment of the time kind of made light of women pushing horny guys away. It's also how it is sung. Maybe if it was a rap song with similar themes called "Hey Bitch, It's Cold AF Out There (Get Yo Ass Back In Here)" or a song by Motley Crue it would be different. 

I think the discussion is important to have. But I agree that banning it is not the solution. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    good!

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    Baby it's cold out side

[Verse 2]

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    (Get over that old out)
    Baby it's cold
    Baby it's cold outside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJB9GP5gyAw
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kevin Hart cracks me up, this world is getting way too pc.  I read an article this morning that they want to get rid of rudolph the red nosed reindeer because it is an example of bullying.  Baby it is cold outside is being removed from radio stations because of the lyrics.  The wussification of the world continues.

I love what Hart said:  
    Hart answered the outrage with a video Thursday, stating: “I swear, man, our world is becoming beyond crazy. And I’m not gonna let the craziness frustrate me or anger me, especially when I’ve worked hard to get to the mental space that I am at now. My team calls me. ‘Oh my god, Kevin. The world is upset by tweets you did years ago.’ My god. Guys – I’m almost 40 years old. If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don’t know what to tell you. If you wanna hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then … I’m the wrong guy, man. I’m in a great place. A great, mature place, where all I do is spread positivity. If you’re not doing that, you’re not on my page.”
    “The same energy that went into finding those old tweets could be the same energy put into finding the response to the questions that have been asked years after years after years,” said Hart in the video. “We feed into internet trolls, and we reward them. I’m not gonna do it, man. I’m gonna be me, and I’m gonna stand my ground. Regardless, Academy, I’m thankful and appreciative of the opportunity. If it goes away, no harm no foul.”  
    Baby it’s cold outside is pretty crazy lyrics in my opinion.  But lyrics can be interpreted different ways and can seemingly depict 2 different scenarios to 2 different listens.  I personally think it's pretty rapey.  But my interpretation of the lyrics as I hear them really should mean others cannot enjoy it as the beginning of a true live story. ;)

hippiemom = goodness
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    good!

Me either.  What will be banned next, grandma got ran over by a reindeer? 

God, I hope so...that song is awful. (Not for any reason other than that it's stupid)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Amazing how people get in an uproar about a song named "baby it's cold outside", too bad the same people don't get in an uproar about people who have no choice to live out in the cold...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    good!

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    Baby it's cold out side

[Verse 2]

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    (Get over that old out)
    Baby it's cold
    Baby it's cold outside

yeah, I know, but I think context matters. a lot of entertainment of the time kind of made light of women pushing horny guys away. It's also how it is sung. Maybe if it was a rap song with similar themes called "Hey Bitch, It's Cold AF Out There (Get Yo Ass Back In Here)" or a song by Motley Crue it would be different. 

I think the discussion is important to have. But I agree that banning it is not the solution. 
    The problem with your answer is that the “context” is not at all exculpatory; in fact, it just illustrates the problem, because it wasn’t just the context of entertainment, it was the context of real life. Still is, in many ways. 
    Amazing how people get in an uproar about a song named "baby it's cold outside", too bad the same people don't get in an uproar about people who have no choice to live out in the cold...
    How do you know that the people objecting to the lyrics aren’t also objecting to homelessness? Seems a major leap to make. 
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Great, now I cannot get the fucking song out of my head, thanks a lot assholes!  ;)
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    good!

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    Baby it's cold out side

[Verse 2]

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    (Get over that old out)
    Baby it's cold
    Baby it's cold outside

The problem with your answer is that the “context” is not at all exculpatory; in fact, it just illustrates the problem, because it wasn’t just the context of entertainment, it was the context of real life. Still is, in many ways. 
    I agree, I guess I just see this song in a light hearted vein, not in the harvey weinstein way. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Man this world is wacky. This song just highlighted the norms for the time. It has perfectly acceptable and humorous relationship dynamics for that day and age. It was a time when women had some independence but still had to maintain their image of a "good girl". So rather than enthusiastically following her dreams or desires, she was required to maintain a degree of temperance. They were both playing the game. Some flirty back and forth. She wasn't uncomfortable, she wasn't being forced to do anything, and anyone thinking this song had anything to do with slipping a roofie into drink must have been born after 2005. Christ. Watch a few old movies. Talk to your parents and grandparents. Talk to anyone over 50 years old. This was a harmless and fun song.

If this was a contemporary song, then sure, I'd have some problems with it. But to be offended with the social norms of a different time is a rabbit hole. I don't know of any time in the past that I'd be comfortable in, knowing what I know now. So all of history, all interpersonal relationships in the past, every country, every culture, every individual from the past would likely cause offense to someone today. Rather than look for reasons to be offended, how about trying to use perspective.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    Man this world is wacky. This song just highlighted the norms for the time. It has perfectly acceptable and humorous relationship dynamics for that day and age. It was a time when women had some independence but still had to maintain their image of a "good girl". So rather than enthusiastically following her dreams or desires, she was required to maintain a degree of temperance. They were both playing the game. Some flirty back and forth. She wasn't uncomfortable, she wasn't being forced to do anything, and anyone thinking this song had anything to do with slipping a roofie into drink must have been born after 2005. Christ. Watch a few old movies. Talk to your parents and grandparents. Talk to anyone over 50 years old. This was a harmless and fun song.

If this was a contemporary song, then sure, I'd have some problems with it. But to be offended with the social norms of a different time is a rabbit hole. I don't know of any time in the past that I'd be comfortable in, knowing what I know now. So all of history, all interpersonal relationships in the past, every country, every culture, every individual from the past would likely cause offense to someone today. Rather than look for reasons to be offended, how about trying to use perspective.
    EXCELLENT
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited December 2018
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    good!

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    Baby it's cold out side

[Verse 2]

[Chorus]
    I really can't stay
    (Get over that old out)
    Baby it's cold
    Baby it's cold outside

I agree, I guess I just see this song in a light hearted vein, not in the harvey weinstein way. 
    Same here. The only way this song's lyrics are problematic is if one decides to apply an aggressive tone to the entire thing - A tone that I don't think exists objectively. You can make just about ANYTHING sound bad if you apply an aggressive tone to it, lol. Me, I figure it's a fucking Christmas song, so it makes no sense to apply anything other than a happy and light and fun tone to it. It's clear this is just a song about a happy, flirty couple - the woman is playing coy AF and enjoying every minute of it I'm sure, lol. I actually think it's completely fucked up to read deeper, more sinister meaning into it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,199
    So yeah, the bit from the standup special is pretty damning, as he was clearly taking a moment to voice his real opinion and wasn’t trying to make people laugh. Now the question is, has he really changed? It is possible for people to grow and change their beliefs, but did he actually or is he just saying it to cover his ass? Only he knows for sure. 

My parents made fun of me last year for saying that Baby It’s Cold Outside was rapey, everytime it would come on they would scream “Oh no! Zack, it’s the rape song!” I don’t think it should be pulled from the radio or anything but it is kind of creepy, especially considering it’s supposed to be a Christmas song that makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside. Kind of different than a rap song who’s target demo is adults in a night club of which 95%+ are trying to get laid. 
    jeffbr said:

Said from a guy’s point of view....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    jeffbr said:

I agree with it...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    jeffbr said:

Said from a person with perspective farther back than 2 years ago. I'm over 50 and remember when TV was in black and white. This song is harmless. If you find offense, that is entirely your problem to deal with. I won't apologize for recognizing and understanding the social norms of the 40's and 50's.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    jeffbr said:

About time someone spoke with some damn sense about this song.  This pretty much sums up what I wanted to say about it but couldn't quite articulate into words - any that would at least flow with some sort of continuity.  I'd like to add the whole drink thing was a phrase that was uttered when you had a heavy drink, like, damn what's in this?  You could remove the drink and replace it with spicy food to help understand the context there.  And yes, it was taboo for a young woman to stay the night at some man's house if they were unwed. That's why she wants to go home and why she expresses that others would be concerned for her whereabouts. There is no monster under the bed.
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:

Said from a person with perspective farther back than 2 years ago. I'm over 50 and remember when TV was in black and white. This song is harmless. If you find offense, that is entirely your problem to deal with. I won't apologize for recognizing and understanding the social norms of the 40's and 50's.
    Well said Jeff!  I always thought that they were flirting back and forth.  
    edited December 2018
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:

No one's talking about going back in a time machine and banning it in the 50s.

The issue of what were the norms in the 40s and 50s is irrelevant to the discussion of what happens with it now. Many things that were acceptable in the 40s are not now. If a song from the 40s involved overt racism, would you tell people "that's entirely your problem to deal with"? How do you stand on pro-Confederate monuments? They were certainly part of the norms of the times.

Norms change over time.

And FYI, I never said I was offended, or that I was in favour of it being banned; just that, reading the lyrics, I find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't see them as a guy pressuring a woman to do more than she wanted to and not taking no for an answer. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,412
    Apparently only half the song is being banned (and brought back into the rotation). It was mentioned on a news panel the other night that in the movie where the offensive song is sung, it’s apparently (they did show some footage) immediately flipped and we see a scene where a woman is pressuring a seemingly unwilling man to stay the night. It’s honestly ridiculous that that part is being woefully underreported, but I suppose it doesn’t fit with the narrative being presented.

I like a comment I read following one of these stories which listed all the other songs which now need to be banned. My favourite was “Do You Hear What I Hear”, which is either offensive to the hearing-impaired, or (as my mom pointed out) could be a cry for help from someone with mental health issues. Silliness knows no bounds, apparently, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:

No one's talking about going back in a time machine and banning it in the 50s.

The issue of what were the norms in the 40s and 50s is irrelevant to the discussion of what happens with it now. Many things that were acceptable in the 40s are not now. If a song from the 40s involved overt racism, would you tell people "that's entirely your problem to deal with"? How do you stand on pro-Confederate monuments? They were certainly part of the norms of the times.

Norms change over time.

And FYI, I never said I was offended, or that I was in favour of it being banned; just that, reading the lyrics, I find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't see them as a guy pressuring a woman to do more than she wanted to and not taking no for an answer. 
    The difference between this and the confederate issue, in my opinion, is interpretation. the issue of racism is a lot more black and white (hardee har) than interpersonal relationships in a song. 

and do we really believe that slavery can be compared to a woman unsure about the sexual advances of a man she's in the company of?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499